Bourbon

Jimbaround

Very good. 

IMG_1129.thumb.jpeg.dd04028f4808a2717bdc1d555fc6dacf.jpeg

40321706644a905639bdf92dde637487.jpg

Finally got my hands on a bottle. Dividends are paying off at my little local mom and pop. Had their monthly raffle and I didn’t get my name drawn. So I went in to buy me some beer for the 4th and told the owner I was “heartbroken” that I didn’t hit on anything. They had the Woodford, Elmer T, Elijah Craig toasted, and some other bottles. He told me he had another bottle of Woodford in the back and because I was such a regular customer he’d go ahead and sell me one. Good folks. Don’t sell at ridiculous prices over retail. Paid $145 + tax out the door for it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I am still amazed at how you are all able to get these bottles. I thought to myself “it’s a long weekend, perhaps I’ll pick up a nice bottle of bourbon that all the homosexuals on Surly seem to enjoy” and went to 4 different liquor stores in Houston and they didn’t have shit. I bought some store pick Maker’s Mark and made a Manhattan. It was fine. 

21 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I am still amazed at how you are all able to get these bottles. I thought to myself “it’s a long weekend, perhaps I’ll pick up a nice bottle of bourbon that all the homosexuals on Surly seem to enjoy” and went to 4 different liquor stores in Houston and they didn’t have shit. I bought some store pick Maker’s Mark and made a Manhattan. It was fine. 

Buy all your booze at the same store. It’s not that hard.

If you don’t want to shop at Spec’s, Ryan’s, NASA, First Sip, and Roma are all good options. I hate Total Wine’s allocated system. Goody Goody is down to one location. Good store though. I can’t speak to Twin Liquors because I only shop there during Dollar Days. 

I do a shit ton of trading on secondary and took full advantage of a great Goody Goody relationship for a few years.
Fucking sucks that it’s over.

Over the years I’ve come to think that Makers is underrated amongst bourbon snobs. I knocked out a bottle pretty quickly pretty recently and liked it quite a bit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Murderers row. Friend of a friend. We need to be friends.

757edb138c603e85dac6024cee207932.jpg

His tequila selection sucks.

And he is part of the problem IMO. What the fuck does anyone need with this much bourbon? I would want nothing to do with him, I don't care what he could offer me to drink. Buy it, drink it, share it with friends, and let everyone enjoy things that aren't very common. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Damn man, you are gonna have issues with a lot of us on this thread.  

You do you, and really, I'm happy if you have a nice collection. Maybe it's just where I am in life, but I just think collecting stuff and letting it sit on a shelf isn't really what it's all about. I'm sure you share with friends, so good on you for sharing the wealth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

And he is part of the problem IMO. What the fuck does anyone need with this much bourbon? I would want nothing to do with him, I don't care what he could offer me to drink. Buy it, drink it, share it with friends, and let everyone enjoy things that aren't very common. 

It looks like a fair number of those bottles are open. 

It’s not the most popular site over here, but TexAgs has a pretty decent bourbon thread. One of the posters has a bad ass collection, and he’ll just send open bottles to other posters that haven’t tried it before. Generous guy to give away bottles to strangers on the internet. 

Bert hooked me up with some samples before. Pretty cool of him. I’m trying to do the same. If I’m going to crack something nice or new, I’ll offer samples to a couple friends. 

• Like 3

It looks like a fair number of those bottles are open. 
It’s not the most popular site over here, but TexAgs has a pretty decent bourbon thread. One of the posters has a bad ass collection, and he’ll just send open bottles to other posters that haven’t tried it before. Generous guy to give away bottles to strangers on the internet. 
Bert hooked me up with some samples before. Pretty cool of him. I’m trying to do the same. If I’m going to crack something nice or new, I’ll offer samples to a couple friends. 

Jesus man.
Fuck texags. In the ass.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good bottle, but yet another $80 bourbon. It’s a tough ask when there’s so much good stuff in the $50-60 range. 

True, but Woodinville being a great craft distiller that consistently shelves their product should be applauded and supported. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 7/4/2023 at 8:01 PM, Mo Horn said:

You do you, and really, I'm happy if you have a nice collection. Maybe it's just where I am in life, but I just think collecting stuff and letting it sit on a shelf isn't really what it's all about. I'm sure you share with friends, so good on you for sharing the wealth. 

I think most of us “letting stuff sit in the shelf” enjoy the collecting and curating along with the drinking. I have in excess of a hundred open and will let anybody who’s at my house try anything they want even if I know damn well they don’t know what Stitzel-Weller is or could tell the difference between pre and post fire Heaven Hill.  Most people usually end up taking pictures of my wall and texting them to friends instead of drinking anyway.  

• Like 1

ATX I find most of their finished products to be quite interesting, and I recall there are several small batches that don’t make distribution, so worth sniffing around for those.

I always ask if there’s anything “off list” to try after prolonged exchanges with those behind the bar (use this everywhere) and it usually goes well.

I’ll say this - BFLT said that Jack Daniel’s SB store pick ryes were pretty good. I tried and he was right. But now I’m having a JDSB rye that isn’t even a store pick and it’s delicious. Highly recommend.

Bozo was right - anything JD sets their mind to, they can crush it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

I’ll say this - BFLT said that Jack Daniel’s SB store pick ryes were pretty good. I tried and he was right. But now I’m having a JDSB rye that isn’t even a store pick and it’s delicious. Highly recommend.

Bozo was right - anything JD sets their mind to, they can crush it.

Great company with a tremendous portfolio and a lot of smart people working for them. I wish they had held on to Zykan, but she’s replaceable. 

The secret is out though. Jack, Woodford, and Old Forester releases are going to move. But people aren’t going to camp out for it like Buffalo Trace products. 

Bottles I’m crushing right now: 

- Jack SiBBP Rye. The first wave was evaporated. I bought every bottle I could obtain, but now we wait for the second wave/permanent addition to Jack’s line.

- Rebecca Creek Spanish Oak. Again, 7 year old finished MGP for $55 is great value. The forum that shall not be named claims every bottle that RC has is on the shelf. I’ll keep buying until they stop selling it. 

- Maker’s 46 Cask Strength. Just classic Maker’s profile at 110 proof. Houston received a ton of it recently. I hope they keep it coming. 

- Jack SiBBP Rye. The first wave was evaporated. I bought every bottle I could obtain, but now we wait for the second wave/permanent addition to Jack’s line.

- Rebecca Creek Spanish Oak. Again, 7 year old finished MGP for $55 is great value. The forum that shall not be named claims every bottle they have is on the shelf. 

- Maker’s 46 Cask Strength. Just classic Maker’s at 110 proof . Houston received a ton of it recently. I hope they keep it coming. Might win in a blind against the new gold cork Antique bottles. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Thought I'd taunt you guys even though I don't drink anymore.   Spent the past 4 days in Gardiner, MT (north entrance to Yellowstone.)  Local grocery store was bonkers.  Prices were ok/high but the selection was incredible and the stuff they had in the glass case was fairly rare.  20230707_193332.thumb.jpg.aef94f339b96555be17c8e44d4fe2289.jpg20230707_193339.thumb.jpg.7769a8a7415ca50287e6f6858c8a7e5e.jpg20230707_193332.thumb.jpg.aef94f339b96555be17c8e44d4fe2289.jpg20230707_193408.thumb.jpg.4d0c7bddf25437c0d84733d651aabe0b.jpg20230707_193357.thumb.jpg.0df465a3bc0a678ac47c813fcc76ce73.jpg

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Interesting. Have always struggled with Saz products that share the same mashbill. I often mix them up in a blind given they are all so damn similar. I know Blantons is aged in a metal clad warehouse which is supposed to create more extreme temperature variation. And yet it still tastes like all the rest. And aside from very slightly different proofs, three of them are almost indistinguishable. 

BT Mashbill #2;

Single Barrels - Elmer T Lee (90 pf), Blantons (93 pf), Rock Hill Farms (100 pf)

Blend - Hancock’s Reserve (88.9 pf), Ancient Age (80 pf)

if you ever want a challenge, do these all blind. Then do it again. Results may vary. 

• Like 2

It might just be where you are at. I can buy it faster than I drink it, so when I see something I buy it. I drink them, not sell them for profits, but it takes time. And there are times when I’m not looking and don’t buy and just drink it down. But at the end, because I can buy faster than drink, my collection net grows.

He is LOADED and doesn’t care how much he spends. 

I wonder how rich I would need to be to take this attitude. I think about it with cars too, at what point would I buy a lambo? I’d definitely need to have enough money that the cost was inconsequential. Right now, I think that might be 10-20m if I had it established and invested in some tax efficient dividend producing funds or something generating 400-700k annually in perpetuity?
  • Drool 1

- Rebecca Creek Spanish Oak. Again, 7 year old finished MGP for $55 is great value. The forum that shall not be named claims every bottle that RC has is on the shelf. I’ll keep buying until they stop selling it. 
- Maker’s 46 Cask Strength. Just classic Maker’s profile at 110 proof. Houston received a ton of it recently. I hope they keep it coming. 

Rc Spanish oak is really good