Bourbon

Jimbaround

I've paid more for less (looking at you Bardstown).  But $120 for 10 year 100 proof "typical" bourbon is not where I want things to be headed.  I guess mostly I am disappointed in the pricing.  
I had it in a tasting with ER, EHT small, Blantons and Kentucky Spirit.  
Spirit was my favorite by a good bit.

I’m sticking to my 750s of regular ass Elijah Craig and handles of EWBiB. It’s always on shelf, tastes good, and is well priced. I’m a simple man: I eat when I’m hungry, I drink when I drive.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, deft said:

I’m sticking to my 750s of regular ass Elijah Craig and handles of EWBiB. It’s always on shelf, tastes good, and is well priced. I’m a simple man: I eat when I’m hungry, I drink when I drive.

Aside from a few bottles I keep around for special occasions, if I’m having a drink before dinner on a Wednesday night, it’s EWBIB.  It used to be Weller or Antique, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

Aside from a few bottles I keep around for special occasions, if I’m having a drink before dinner on a Wednesday night, it’s EWBIB.  It used to be Weller or Antique, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

A lot of love for ewbib , I get having a cheapo to drink on, but why not keep a 101, early times, and of100, mm101, some sort of cheap good rye, etc on hand too? That way you can rotate around a little. Variety is fun.

Give me BT and Baby Saz picks as my cheap bottles. The BT picks move fast, but Baby Saz picks are relatively easy to find. Roma Liquor put out a metric ton of them in Houston. It’s a damn good pick. 

Evan Williams BiB is fine, but it’s only $10 cheaper than the aforementioned picks. Spend the money, it’s worth it. I don’t think a high quality, sub $20 bottle exists anymore. 

Travel buddy this week. 
B82F7967-CE70-4397-84AE-33073F1D6344.thumb.jpeg.ac5dbd0529a6661f5317dcda96c7ed23.jpeg

I’m sure that the initial limited releases were good but I’ve been disappointed in my recent purchase of the JD barrel proof rye. Think I’ll stick to the store pick single barrels where I’ve had better luck. Also the JD BiB rye may be the best bang for the buck out there.
  • Like 1

I’m sure that the initial limited releases were good but I’ve been disappointed in my recent purchase of the JD barrel proof rye. Think I’ll stick to the store pick single barrels where I’ve had better luck. Also the JD BiB rye may be the best bang for the buck out there.

This one says hi.
567c158398583881f6250693ec2e4fd4.jpg
But I will say the JD Bib Rye makes a fucking killer Old Fashioned

57 minutes ago, TxTower said:

No complaints here.  It is surprisingly smooth for 129.1 proof.  

I’ve tried a number of new ones lately, off the top of my head:

Old forestor tw store pick 100proof : like it a lot, wish I bought the regular 100proof one to compare it to.

Dickel 15 yr store pick 104 proof: this is awesome. My first Dickel and it’s a buy.

Barrel foundations: this is ok, I was hoping for better, but meh

Ben holliday soft red wheat: this is great. Definite buy.

What I really need is a weller full proof and a 23staggjr. If anyone here can help me get those for msrp, that would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance

97882d1e07ca948c937b07d3ad679e71.jpg

Big $$$ booze. Let us know your impressions when you crack open and if you think they’re worth MSRP. Lots of high dollar Bourbon sitting on the shelves these days.

And for the love of god quit cooking your bourbon on the stove top.

8 hours ago, CoachEmUp64 said:

I passed on Magnus Cigar Blend sitting on the shelf for $225, price was firm. Should I have bought it? 

I’m no expert but I’ve never seen it on the shelf before. 

Quality has gone down, I probably wouldn’t pay much more than retail right now.  

JD 12 is a banger, tho.  Approved.  

• Like 1