City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

clapclapclap

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Such bullshit your answer is .  First of all it's not the 1800's and my family came over with a skill set and didn't rely on govt largesse to survive As did most people like them. 

The social safety net net did not exist as we know it today 

I bet you say this with a straight face.

You're hilarious.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I bet you say this with a straight face.

You're hilarious.

It’s a fact that the government did not exist until the 60s after the civil rights and voting rights act were passed. Then the government went on and ruined all the blacks and the south will rise again. 

Fact.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

I too wish all the white liberals hadn’t enforced Jim crow for almost a hundred years and therefore lay all the blame for the devastated black communities squarely on the white liberal Jim Crow enforcers. 

You are such a joke of a caricature of complete white evangelical white supremacy ignorance. Go put on a hood, burn a cross, and watch some rats fuck.

The policies white liberals instituted that wrecked black families were post Jim Crow.  And in the north and south.  Jim Crow didn’t fuck up Baltimore.  White liberal policies did.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

75 percent had fathers in their lives.  Now it’s 25 percent.  

It’s hard to be a father in someone’s life while serving time. 

But I suppose that’s due to the “white liberals policies” and not something else.

• Like 5

Just now, JimmyJames said:

It’s hard to be a father in someone’s life while serving time. 

But I suppose that’s due to the “white liberals policies” and not something else.

Yeah, that explains it.  The criminal laws changed in the 60s.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Nixon declared a war on drugs in 1971. So you’re right Sack. Maybe it wasn’t the 60s after all.

Biden and Clinton along with the CBC passed the draconian drug laws in the 90s as a response to the crack epidemic.  

Drug enforcement wasn’t what was causing out of wedlock births.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Since these discussions always devolve into bastardized versions of the Moynihan Report, maybe some here should read it. Particularly those who are bringing up the fatherless issue should read it. It provides some context through early 1960s eyes.

We usually hear the issue of fatherless black families, education, and related subjects as sort of a “them” problem. These are the problems with the Black community, so “they” need to fix it. “It isn’t my problem” supported by graphs.

It can be eye opening to read a similar story from the 60s without it serving as a prelude to ignoring the problem. Moynihan’s report is at times quite prescient and we largely ignored it. After reading it, blaming the woes of the Black family on 1960s era legislation seems simply absurd.

Its a bit of a long read, but if you’re committed to discussing the issue within this framework, you should at least bother to see the origins and how distorted the framework has become.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-moynihan-report-an-annotated-edition/404632/

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Such bullshit your answer is .  First of all it's not the 1800's and my family came over with a skill set and didn't rely on govt largesse to survive As did most people like them. 

The social safety net net did not exist as we know it today 

You got a bunch a lawyers hammering nails on your crew these days? You’d be on the dole without those worthless wetbacks you loathe.

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

So, when you are going to start lecturing whites and hispanics about their birth rates?  Who is to blame for that?  

I’ve done so here.  Noting how whites and Hispanics are doing their best to catch up.  Paying people for bad choices means you get more of them.  Of all races.  It’s just hurt black people the most.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Biden and Clinton along with the CBC passed the draconian drug laws in the 90s as a response to the crack epidemic.  

Drug enforcement wasn’t what was causing out of wedlock births.  

So now you’re arguing the war on drugs started in the 90s? Just how stupid are you?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’ve done so here.  Noting how whites and Hispanics are doing their best to catch up.  Paying people for bad choices means you get more of them.  Of all races.  It’s just hurt black people the most.  

Johnny Sack. Noted champion of the black peoples. 

Just now, Johnny Sack said:

You don’t think that might have something to do with his struggles?

No. No I don't. I think the clear truancy has a whole hell of a lot more to do with it. I think that the lack of education, quite literally on how this could effect this young persons future was clear. I think the fact that this isn't a unique situation is damning to the particular district/isd. 

So no, I don't think that black kids not having dad's has anything to do with this persons situation. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

No.  That’s a strawman you built to knock down.  

Since I know you won’t read it

A top Nixon aide, John Ehrlichman, later admitted: “You want to know what this was really all about. The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying. We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”Nixon temporarily placed marijuana in Schedule One, the most restrictive category of drugs, pending review by a commission he appointed led by Republican Pennsylvania Governor Raymond Shafer.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

If there’s someone that understands being poor and black in America, it’s the rich white dude that was handed everything in life.

Are you projecting?  You a white lib trust funder? I know you relocated to Mexico for the pandemic.  You earn your own money?

How fucking ignorant and self unaware do you have to be to trot out a veritable buffet table of shitty, flimsy post hoc rationalizations and act like you figured out the “real” reason for a problem that numerous historians, sociologists, and civil rights activists have dedicated their careers to studying in depth.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, immamac said:

No. No I don't. I think the clear truancy has a whole hell of a lot more to do with it. I think that the lack of education, quite literally on how this could effect this young persons future was clear. I think the fact that this isn't a unique situation is damning to the particular district/isd. 

So no, I don't think that black kids not having dad's has anything to do with this persons situation. 

I think lack of fathers in homes is hurting children terribly.  Including this one, unless he has a dad in his life they forgot to mention in the article.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Since I know you won’t read it

A top Nixon aide, John Ehrlichman, later admitted: “You want to know what this was really all about. The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying. We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”Nixon temporarily placed marijuana in Schedule One, the most restrictive category of drugs, pending review by a commission he appointed led by Republican Pennsylvania Governor Raymond Shafer.

As someone who uses surly on my phone in dark mode, I literally can’t see this to read it. This is a perfect encapsulation of the dark mode rich text issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I think lack of fathers in homes is hurting children terribly.  Including this one, unless he has a dad in his life they forgot to mention in the article.  

What about lack of fathers at the ranch?  Or lack of fathers at the other ranch?  Surely that's having an impact on black youth as well.  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You have mighty impressive knowledge about Surly posters’ income sources.  

Says the guy that just declared mine. But go on, Spaulding, tell us about the black man’s problems. And tell us about how easily they could solve them if they just made better choices.

23 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I'm thinking Asian community, or to you the super whites.

Come on dude... Asian communities aren’t monolithic. For every wave of professional class of immigrants, you also have those struggling with poverty and trying to figure shit out like all immigrants/Americans. 

25 minutes ago, YChang said:

Come on dude... Asian communities aren’t monolithic. For every wave of professional class of immigrants, you also have those struggling with poverty and trying to figure shit out like all immigrants/Americans. 

Neither is white cultures, but it seems to be thought that way.