Invincible - Amazon Prime

ajax

I wasn’t familiar with the comic, just glanced over a review (it was more of a “Here’s what’s new to watch” blurb from the NYT), but I read “New take on superheroes” and “ultra violent” and somehow turned that in my mind into a fun take on the genre, maybe a spoof... my mistake.

I gave the first one a chance, and it was rather sober, and 50 minutes in, the title card popped up, and I’m all, “Where the hell is this violence I was promised?” 

Then shit got real.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 5:13 AM, Vito Andolini said:

Then shit got real.

Same with my wife. She was like "you told me this was gonna be ultra-violent" when the title came up.

Five minutes later, and she's like "I think I'm gonna throw up".

• 3 weeks later...

Haha, Robot's got a crush.

A 30 year old man in the body of a 15 year old boy (formerly a metal robot) is in love with a 25 year old woman in the body of a 12 year old girl.

Wait, did he fall in love with her sparkling personality? Or....???? Fucking creepy.

man, what a season. that last episode was brutal.

Spoiler

One thing, I completed did not understand the girlfriend. What was she mad at him about if she knew he was invincible?

but what a voice cast! Of course I picked out Mark Hamill right away, but I didn't even realize Cecil was Walton Goggins until halfway through. Then Mahershala Ali and even the small Jon Hamm cameo.

And I loved how ominous the title was each episode with more and more blood.

44 minutes ago, Viper said:
  Reveal hidden contents

One thing, I completed did not understand the girlfriend. What was she mad at him about if she knew he was invincible?

I had the same question. That seemed really stupid and irrational, but then it’s a teenage girl, so really....spot on writing. 

16 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I think they are clearing her out for the obvious relationship that is brewing

Spoiler

but then they got back together again after he recovered from his assbeating

She was a bitch in the comics. They made her black and inexplicably made her 10x worse in the tv show. I really think they should have gone the other way and made her more sympathetic.

I was skeptical for much of the season, but it was just 8 episodes, so thought I would stay with it.  

Man, glad I did.  Those last 2 episodes were top notch.  Just really good shit.

And now for Season 2, they have about 10 different ways they can go with it. I'm excited for season 2 now.

The show's good enough that I binged the entire season over a couple of days. I'm not a comic fan, so it is hard for me to articulate the problems that seem pretty obvious. This article explains the issue from the viewpoint of a fan of the comic. It's like someone heard a cool story and then tried to relate it back to a third party while in a psychiatric drug-induced haze, overemphasizing all the wrong elements.

• 2 years later...