2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's a little on Dusty. He's got a reputation.

Inasmuch as any loss is on any manager, sure, yeah, you've got a point. That one lost Yordan at bat would surely have made up for all the runs our bullpen studs gave up. 

The bullpen had a bad night. Blue was worse. If you are building a "Fire Dusty" portfolio this game should not go in it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's a little on Dusty. He's got a reputation.

Not at all on him. At all. 

Managers aren't standing in the batter's box when the sacks are full. They're not giving up three-run dongs in extras. They're not that determinative, players are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There's no way Sewald, Raleigh, or Correa thought that was anywhere close to a strike three call. It was a 1-2 count, and you know he's not throwing one in the strike zone to try and get Correa to chase. Correa laid off to live to see another pitch and that fucking shitty ump rings him up on this crap.

It's hard for me to believe Correa doesn't find a way to put a 2-2 or 3-2 pitch in play to potentially score the winning run. 

Screenshot (119).png

Yordan would have gone deep.
Prove me wrong.

He has been scorching, I'll admit that.

But 3putt is right because we only needed three outs with our All Star closer on the mound and Yordan's spot in the order wasnt up for another seven batters. I agree with you that I probably wouldn't have made that switch just because I don't think Yordan is that bad in the field and don't know if it's that big of a difference to put Chas in LF. My guess is Dusty thought he would be able to cut off a double that Yordan couldn't get to. I wouldn't have made that move because I didn't think there was any chance Pressly wouldn't strike out the side.

The marginal advantage of a better fielder in the tiny LF at MM doesn't outweigh the chance that you'd need to score more runs.  imo.

I also agree with Scraps that Yordan shouldn't have been in the field to begin with.  If it's between he and Jones for the DH, Yordan needs to be the DH so that you don't have to face the choice of subbing him out for defense.  Yordan should only be in the field if it's to give Brantley or someone else a semi-rest day at DH.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Gourmand said:

I would have too, but the thought process for the managerial move was sound even though I disagreed with it. But in no way is this game on Dusty Baker. It's on that fucking ump more than him, but in actuality the Astros wasted something like 15 risps today. 

Was it sound though?  I think the argument would be it’s more likely you need Yordons bat than it is that you need Chaz’ glove. That’s how it played out this time. What are the odds that a slight improvement (yordons not a butcher so it is slight) on defense matter vs if the game is otherwise tied up Yordan is going to hit?  I don’t think he’s bad enough to warrant pulling him but it’s not something I’m capable of actually calculating. I’m just not smart enough/don’t have the information. 
In any event- 95 times out of 100 it doesn’t matter either way. We either slam the door, or give up more than 2 runs and it’s a non issues. Most of those times how the run is given up won’t be affected  by the defense in left fucking field, but it’s almost always irrelevant (only being relevant when exactly 2 runs are scored and the Astros don’t add a run somewhere between the 6 and 3 hitters in the next 2 innings).
It’s typically pointless mental masterbation. Unfortunately this is that unusual time where it was relevant, and that relevance bit us in the ass at the worst possible time. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

The marginal advantage of a better fielder in the tiny LF at MM doesn't outweigh the chance that you'd need to score more runs.  imo.

I also agree with Scraps that Yordan shouldn't have been in the field to begin with.  If it's between he and Jones for the DH, Yordan needs to be the DH so that you don't have to face the choice of subbing him out for defense.  Yordan should only be in the field if it's to give Brantley or someone else a semi-rest day at DH.

no mlb manager is making a move thinking the game goes 11 with a lead the top of the 9th 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, WBT said:

Yordan has been playing LF every Framber start. Getting him ready for the WS and framber is a ground ball pitcher 

This makes sense, but did you REALLY need to make that move? Is he that much of a liability in left?

See I agree with this, I just don't think it really mattered that much in the outcome of the game. The dang defensive replacement move imo is over thought. If you have a gold glove defender, he's usually already in your lineup. Chas is fine but I've never thought he's going to make that circus game-ending catch a la Reddick or Springer....

36 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

How many times did we send og jake out there for his glove to close out games ?

CF isn’t left field. There’s a reason why the defensive spectrum exists. It goes:

Ss, CF, 2b, 3B, RF, LF, 1B. I might have LF and 1b mixed up. LF is as close to irrelevant as you get- CF and SS are where you just sell out for the best glove you can get in any marginal and meaningful way. It’s why they don’t want Tucker playing CF. He’s not bad, he’s just not great. LF just isn’t that big a deal. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Yep. If the choose is between Yordan and Jones, Yordan is is always your DH.

Moving forward after this season, the Astros need to take away Yordan's OF glove for a 1B mitt, and say if you want to play defense it's as a 1B only.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Yuli is under contract for 2022 

Yes, so you have a year for Yordan to play 20-40 games at 1B for Yuli next season. Tucker, Brantley, McCormick, and Meyers are the OF for next season. Not too mention you have Leon and Siri as well at AAA. Yordan's path for a defensive position moving forward is at 1B.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes, so you have a year for Yordan to play 20-40 games at 1B for Yuli next season. Tucker, Brantley, McCormick, and Meyers are the OF for next season. Not too mention you have Leon and Siri as well at AAA. Yordan's path for a defensive position moving forward is at 1B.

why sit an all star 1B that much ?

he didn’t make the all star team but he was an all star, no doubt. What position did Yordan play in Cuba ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

11 hours ago, WBT said:

I also agree with Scraps that Yordan shouldn't have been in the field to begin with. 

For the record I didn't say he shouldn't have been in the field, I just said that would have been the argument to make if wanting to bitch about the defensive sub etc.  

Glad I could clear that up lol 

I don't have an issue with him playing the field other than every time he goes for a ball I am waiting for him to pull up with an injury.  But hey, you can't live life scared lol.  For instance yesterday I thought he was actually about to lay out for the one in foul territory towards the end of the game.  I was seeing  his season going down the shitter.  

Edited by Scraps
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Astros (-240) AND A's (-130) pays $150 

KC (+205) AND Seattle (+110) pays $540.

Hmmmm......

2.56 units on both win and 1 unit on both lose yields a 2.84 unit win on either of those outcomes.  And a 3.56 unit loss if they split.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t get the need to force a defensive position on Alvarez. Universal DH is probably coming next year so inter-league and WS issues will be gone. He can hide him in LF when necessary. The same can’t be said about first base. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1