Jump to content

Fuck DirecTV in the goatass.


Recommended Posts

It’s only overrated if you live in the same market as your favorite team and get to see all of the games. My wife is a 49ers fan, so we have Sunday ticket so she can watch all of her games. If it becomes available on a different platform soon, I’ll drop Direct Tv and go to streaming.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sunday Ticket is overrated. DTV just threw it in this year and I maybe watched one or two extra games all season -- think one was a blizzard game. Red Zone is far superior and I think all the services can get that.

Yes, I agree.

I originally signed up because I was a Cowboys fan living in Houston, but they've relaxed the blackout rules a little bit now and it's not as necessary as it used to be. I still like having the option to switch to other games if there was something more interesting (or close), but that's not a deal killer for me at all. 

My teenage son is the big RZ fan and he can't understand why anyone would watch entire games at all, even the Cowboys when they are on. (he's a fan, too)

I was willing to pay for it all because of loyalty and inertia, but the customer service recently was really starting to test me. That shitty contract technician yesterday cost them a ton of money for the cost of him climbing in the attic and just doing his job. I'd say, "I hope it was worth it" but I don't see how it could have been for them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They do and I actually preferred it. Not for any reason other than that’s what I was used to before on Uverse. If you play FF, RZ is fantastic. I usually watch RZ until there is a game on I really want to watch and then I will watch the full game flipping back to RZ on commercials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



It’s only overrated if you live in the same market as your favorite team and get to see all of the games. My wife is a 49ers fan, so we have Sunday ticket so she can watch all of her games. If it becomes available on a different platform soon, I’ll drop Direct Tv and go to streaming.


You can actually buy the package by itself. There are address restrictions for some silly reason. I've used my uncle's address in the past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 10:31 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I have been a Directv customer for 25 years - initially got it for the Sunday Ticket - and I am thiiiiiiiiis close to canceling today due to the accumulated years of shitty customer service. I haven't been able to log in to my account in more than a year since they integrated their website with AT&T and that has very frustrating. The only way I can see my bill is through "bill pay" at my bank. 

What might be the last straw is that we have been replacing the roof and siding on the house for the past few weeks. As part of that they had to remove the dish and detach the coax from the underside of the soffit. All that work is finally done so - despite the website issues - I was finally able to schedule a tech to come out and reinstall it all. He aimed the dish on the roof and then farted around in the attic for few minutes and came down and said he couldn't fix it. He said that the only solution would be to drill a hole in the side of the house and run a new coax cable across the floor in front of a doorway and connect that to the television. I told him to run it through the attic like it was before and he said he couldn't do that. I told him to GTFO. 

The only thing stopping me is that there isn't a clearly better alternative. The only other choices in my neighborhood are U-Verse (also shitty AT&T) and Xfinity. 

I guess streaming is an option, but I don't know enough about it.

Is Hulu any good and worth it? Looks like I can get my local channels with it. 

 

I don't even have your other options. I'm stuck with AT&T shitass barely-above-dail-up DSL and a limited data hotspot for my internet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
21 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Most of you folks probably already know this, but DTV finally brought their technology up to 2020. They have firestick/ruku apps for satellite customers.  I just found out Tuesday. Now I can get rid of these damn receivers

I’d keep one (I think you have to have the charge regardless) so when that internet is out you’re still good to watch whatever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/20/2022 at 11:37 AM, The Ace of Aces said:

I’d keep one (I think you have to have the charge regardless) so when that internet is out you’re still good to watch whatever. 

👍🏿

 

We have to keep the main one that is connected to the internet and will keep the 4k receiver. I should also note that not all the channels are stream-able through the app. You have to use their own app. But there are plenty of options for us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I still have DirecTV.  I am old.  I like flipping channels and seeing the "guide".  However, FOX and DirecTV are at odds.  Haven't had FOX for a couple of months now.  Not happy.

I agree with the first part. I don't know about the Fox thing. I get Fox stuff, including the local Fox station, so it must be a local affiliate thing, or some other Fox channel I don't watch. And if I didn't have the local Fox station on DTV I would just flip over to the TV antenna, solved.

Gotta have the guide and easy ability to channel surf and flip back between channels quickly. And I gotta have the Rangers games in the Spring to kill time. But I need it to be about half the price, so I don't know what the future holds. I can't stream for shit here, other than an occasional peak that eats the hell out of the only internet I have available.

Edited by DougO
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2022 at 12:30 AM, mininghorn88 said:

I still have DirecTV.  I am old.  I like flipping channels and seeing the "guide".  However, FOX and DirecTV are at odds.  Haven't had FOX for a couple of months now.  Not happy.

 

On 11/22/2022 at 11:01 AM, DougO said:

I agree with the first part. I don't know about the Fox thing. I get Fox stuff, including the local Fox station, so it must be a local affiliate thing, or some other Fox channel I don't watch. And if I didn't have the local Fox station on DTV I would just flip over to the TV antenna, solved.

Gotta have the guide and easy ability to channel surf and flip back between channels quickly. And I gotta have the Rangers games in the Spring to kill time. But I need it to be about half the price, so I don't know what the future holds. I can't stream for shit here, other than an occasional peak that eats the hell out of the only internet I have available.

 

On 11/22/2022 at 11:04 AM, Hate said:

I still have Direct TV, but that may change next year when the NFL Sunday Ticket moves to a different provider. We’ll see.

Yes. I'm in the DTV is what I know best stage. We did try cord cutting but ended back where we started.

 

I still remember going to Best Buy back in '97 or 98 and getting the $99 special with Sunday Ticket. Drank a whole bunch of shit, figuring out how to mount the dish on a patio that wasn't directly facing south. 

 

I am interested to see what happens when Sunday Ticket negotiates a new deal. If the NFL is smart they will offer mini packages across multiple carriers.

 

Despite all their bullshit if you call and bitch enough, they will give you a good deal. It's just a PITA. It took me 3 phone calls to 'negotiate' a better deal than what I left them for. When I priced out every thing we got on Fubo or Youtube, it was the same as DTV.

On 11/22/2022 at 12:41 PM, The Ace of Aces said:

I pay ~$54/mo for DTV Xtra Choice or whatever it’s called. It’s an unbeatable deal. 

Nah, you are not going to beat that.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DirecTV and Fox carriage dispute might interrupt NFL and World Cup games. Deadline for a carriage agreement is December 2.

Like a lot of people, I have DirecTV since I am a big sports fan. I will lose my shit if we miss any NFL or World Cup games because of this bullshit. Other than DirecTV/ATT's horrible customer service (which thankfully I rarely have to deal with), I am really happy with my service. The picture quality is great, they have the best and least compressed output of traditional cable/satellite providers. They offer 4K feeds that FOX and other networks make available for games. I love being able to watch the World Cup in 4K. I wish it was cheaper but from a keep wife happy and power user perspective, it is better for my needs than cutting the cord.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, Brothahorn said:

Most of you folks probably already know this, but DTV finally brought their technology up to 2020. They have firestick/ruku apps for satellite customers.  I just found out Tuesday. Now I can get rid of these damn receivers

I kind of thought of it as a way to get the programming on all of your TVs without paying for 5 different receivers. But people are getting rid of their receivers completely?

Theirs apps were archaic and very limiting in the past. I seem to remember that I could watch it on the phone but the app wouldn’t let you cast it to a TV or some such nonsense. 

I keep it because I like it (I have low standards) and we have a second home.  If I can pay for one receiver and have it on two TVs in one house and 3 TV at the other home, that’s pretty good by me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Macklemore said:

DirecTV and Fox carriage dispute might interrupt NFL and World Cup games. Deadline for a carriage agreement is December 2.

Like a lot of people, I have DirecTV since I am a big sports fan. I will lose my shit if we miss any NFL or World Cup games because of this bullshit. Other than DirecTV/ATT's horrible customer service (which thankfully I rarely have to deal with), I am really happy with my service. The picture quality is great, they have the best and least compressed output of traditional cable/satellite providers. They offer 4K feeds that FOX and other networks make available for games. I love being able to watch the World Cup in 4K. I wish it was cheaper but from a keep wife happy and power user perspective, it is better for my needs than cutting the cord.

I know it's a PITA but calling and complaining works. It took me two separate phone calls on this current contract but I got what I wanted at a competitive price compared to the streaming services. I name dropped the streaming services and their prices, told them they were very misleading in expecting me to pay for channels that I will never watch and that I felt taken advantage of as a current customer since I wasn't 'eligible' for all the new deals. IOW, I whined like a Gen Z'er.

 

13 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I kind of thought of it as a way to get the programming on all of your TVs without paying for 5 different receivers. But people are getting rid of their receivers completely?

Theirs apps were archaic and very limiting in the past. I seem to remember that I could watch it on the phone but the app wouldn’t let you cast it to a TV or some such nonsense. 

I keep it because I like it (I have low standards) and we have a second home.  If I can pay for one receiver and have it on two TVs in one house and 3 TV at the other home, that’s pretty good by me. 

Maybe just me as I don't see the need to pay a monthly fee for a bunch of receivers I no longer need. 

 

Yeah, the previous app would not work for me on my android phone and some times not the tablet. But would always work on Ipad, Iphone devices. 

 

New app is much better. Still could be improved in some areas, such as browsing the guide.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Sunday Ticket is awesome today. Choice of 3 afternoon games, and two of them are blacked the fuck out. The Bucs game is on the local channel, but the KC game is somehow fucked because the local network that is supposed to be carrying them chose to show informercials all day instead of football. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

DirecTV has seriously upped their game with their new app on streaming devices and phones. I have set top boxes on all my TVs but wanted to check the app out. I have a 4K AppleTV. The DirecTV app blew me away at how fast and responsive it is. I was expecting it to be a slow, laggy horrible experience like Xfinity’s garbage. No longer need to have set top boxes anymore with the new app. Saves $7 a month per box. When you factor all of the costs now with OTT streaming, saving money and hassle without having a box has really closed the gap between the two IMO.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

DirecTV has seriously upped their game with their new app on streaming devices and phones. I have set top boxes on all my TVs but wanted to check the app out. I have a 4K AppleTV. The DirecTV app blew me away at how fast and responsive it is. I was expecting it to be a slow, laggy horrible experience like Xfinity’s garbage. No longer need to have set top boxes anymore with the new app. Saves $7 a month per box. When you factor all of the costs now with OTT streaming, saving money and hassle without having a box has really closed the gap between the two IMO.

Thanks for the heads up. I dropped down to three boxes not long ago since the kids weren't watching TV upstairs in the game room. They just watch shit on their phones. I'll just put a FireStick in the guest bedroom for TV access so I don't need to relocate the box from my office when we have company in town.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Macklemore said:

DirecTV has seriously upped their game with their new app on streaming devices and phones. I have set top boxes on all my TVs but wanted to check the app out. I have a 4K AppleTV. The DirecTV app blew me away at how fast and responsive it is. I was expecting it to be a slow, laggy horrible experience like Xfinity’s garbage. No longer need to have set top boxes anymore with the new app. Saves $7 a month per box. When you factor all of the costs now with OTT streaming, saving money and hassle without having a box has really closed the gap between the two IMO.

So DTV developed something streaming competitors have had in place for years?  Good for them I guess.  I'll still be a little surprised if they are a meaningful servicer provider 5 years from now.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Skipper said:

So DTV developed something streaming competitors have had in place for years?  Good for them I guess.  I'll still be a little surprised if they are a meaningful servicer provider 5 years from now.

They were built on nfl sunday ticket and won't have that any longer beginning next season. The value of the Sunday Ticket franchise has decreased over time with the Thursday night game and the Sunday night game. I assume the only people who still subscribe to DTV are the nfl die-hards in certain NFL cities who get blacked out a lot because their franchise sucks, a few olds too worried about changing to a streaming model, and some customers in the sticks who can't get decent internet.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So drop on dropping their boxes was something DTV had to know was going to happen.  That means less revenue.
Is that basically their acknowledgment that it’s a streaming world and it’s better to have customers streaming their product for less money rather than dropping their service completely?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

So drop on dropping their boxes was something DTV had to know was going to happen.  That means less revenue.
Is that basically their acknowledgment that it’s a streaming world and it’s better to have customers streaming their product for less money rather than dropping their service completely?  

After losing NFL Ticket, I don't see how they remain viable absent becoming a serious streaming competitor with a top of the line app competitively priced.  I'm just doubtful they can accomplish it.  I mean for people like me that gave up on them 3 or 4 years ago after dealing with years of shitty service, it would take a lot to get me back.  ATT ran Direct TV into the ground and I'll be shocked if they can really compete with the other streaming providers.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 5:11 PM, Skipper said:

After losing NFL Ticket, I don't see how they remain viable absent becoming a serious streaming competitor with a top of the line app competitively priced.  I'm just doubtful they can accomplish it.  I mean for people like me that gave up on them 3 or 4 years ago after dealing with years of shitty service, it would take a lot to get me back.  ATT ran Direct TV into the ground and I'll be shocked if they can really compete with the other streaming providers.

I'll probably stick with them just because of the channel lineup. By the time I add all the extra packages to something like YTV, I'm paying what I get for DTV.  And finally getting a true app helps.

 

Losing Sunday Ticket is definitely going to make a dent in their pocketbooks. But, I can't remember the last time I paid full price for Sunday Ticket. Some of us 'OLDs' like it because we enjoy watching other games besides those forced on us by the network and league. Plus the Texans suck. And Redzone isn't a viable option because they jump around too much.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...