2021 Texas Volleyball

TexasDPT

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had my doubts about Nalani, thought she was going to be another McCoy (gets to most stuff, but not very clean), but I think she's going to be very, very good.

She plays a lot quicker than I thought she would. Really nice pick up

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Went to the last few matches. This was the most complete effort.

We need better play on the back line. Parra needs to improve a lot. She gives up too many points by being a slow decision maker. Gabriel shouldn’t serve until she can get more than 20% inbounds.

Parra's been pretty good most of the season.  I'm not sure if she's having a slump or if the hitting/serving from Baylor and Rice are kind of exposing her.

• Like 1

Texas passing number was around 1.47 last night. Ideally, teams should be closer to 2.0. And yet we still hit .490. That’s insane. Basically a kill every other attempt with shit passing  

Rice at .340 was like a kill every third attempt.  Insane offensive numbers for both teams in an NCAA setting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas passing number was around 1.47 last night. Ideally, teams should be closer to 2.0. And yet we still hit .490. That’s insane. Basically a kill every other attempt with shit passing  

Rice at .340 was like a kill every third attempt.  Insane offensive numbers for both teams in an NCAA setting. 

Good stuff.  I had to look up passing metrics (I remain still very ignorant of the sport despite years of fandom).  https://coachingvb.com/scoring-serving-and-passing-effectiveness/

An overpass or ace counts as 0, while a pass that gives the setter all options is a 3, two options a 2, and one or a non-setter set 1.  I think our passing, when there was passing, was pretty decent.  The overpasses killed us.  I guess that's like asking Mrs. Lincoln about the play, but still.  Rice's serving and sharp hitting produced those overpasses.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Good stuff.  I had to look up passing metrics (I remain still very ignorant of the sport despite years of fandom).  https://coachingvb.com/scoring-serving-and-passing-effectiveness/

An overpass or ace counts as 0, while a pass that gives the setter all options is a 3, two options a 2, and one or a non-setter set 1.  I think our passing, when there was passing, was pretty decent.  The overpasses killed us.  I guess that's like asking Mrs. Lincoln about the play, but still.  Rice's serving and sharp hitting produced those overpasses.

Parra was 0.6. That fucking bad and probably one of the lowest scores for someone in her position to play back row defense and receive serve. Logan was a 1.79. Nani was a 1.71 and Petersen a 1.29. 

When we pass properly, great. It’s hit or miss if we even do it averagely.  But I guess doesn’t matter if you hit .490 with below average passing. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That should help- unless Illinois is an under ranked Big 10 squad that can beat anyone on a given night. 

They’re so inconsistent. They’ll probably look like shit against Nebraska in the regional semis 

Edited by Js1

Just reading Zoe Fleck, UCLA libero who transferred from UCSB, is grad transferring for next year. Following the Texas and Wisky staffs. Texas was a finalist last year. 

Iosia and Fleck + everyone but Butler coming back offensively would be 🔥 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So hosting Washington Thursday evening.  Any ideas on time/TV coverage?  

The time slots are 12/12:05/12:05/2/4/6/8/10 ET.  The two 12:05 slots will be ESPN+ and the rest on ESPNU. 

Texas will probably get that prime time slot, I think, or maybe 5pm. That’s the best matchup of the day, to me.  Last time we hosted, we got 3pm on ESPNU - the loss to Louisville. 

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Yep, and to correct myself from earlier, Kansas AND Illinois were the only 2 unseeded teams to make the S16.

Also the first 2 matches were our “sub regional” so this is our “regional not super regional. Lol semantics really 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting comment from Jerritt re: crowd noise, at the end of the post-Rice PC. He said it gets so loud in the Greg that the team can’t hear each other on serve-receive, can’t communicate coverage on seams.

Seems like we need to flip the script on crowd noise: loud during our serve, quiet(er) during their serve. Just like football: quiet on offense, loud on defense. Will be a challenge to tell the fans that, though.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:41 PM, Js1 said:

Just reading Zoe Fleck, UCLA libero who transferred from UCSB, is grad transferring for next year. Following the Texas and Wisky staffs. Texas was a finalist last year. 

Iosia and Fleck + everyone but Butler coming back offensively would be 🔥 

👀