2021 Longhorns Countdown to Kickoff

Longboard Horn

#23 Jeff Ward 

s-l300.jpg

1985 -- 5 FG's to upset #4 Arkansas 15-13

Ward Does Job as Texas Upsets Arkansas, 15-13

L.A. TIMES ARCHIVES   OCT. 20, 1985 12 AM PT

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. —   Texas was clinging to a 9-7 lead over No. 4-ranked Arkansas in the third quarter Saturday when Coach Fred Akers called time and turned to kicker Jeff Ward.

The Longhorns had fourth-and-eight at the Arkansas 38, which meant a 55-yard field-goal attempt. Ward had never kicked one longer than 52.

“I asked him if he could make it,” Akers said. “He said, ‘Yes, I was hitting them from that far before the game.’

“Do it,” Akers said.

Ward’s kick was good and, early in the fourth quarter, he kicked a school-record fifth field goal as Texas hung on for a 15-13 victory. His Arkansas counterpart, Greg Horne, missed all three of his attempts. Horne, who had made only 58% of his 50 career attempts, missed from 48, 40 and 33.

Ward, once a walk-on, said he learned a lesson when he missed three field-goal attempts in a season-opening 21-17 victory over Missouri. “I’ve never had that happen. I was totally inept. I found out I was human.”

Ward’s field goals were from 34, 33, 49, 55 and 34 yards. In his first two years at Texas, Ward made 27 of 35, and Akers once said he didn’t know of a kicker in the country he’d rather have than Ward.

Safety John Hagy preserved the victory when he intercepted Mark Calcagni’s pass at the Texas 22 with seconds remaining.

Edited by LTtxfan

13 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

You posted him last year, so I was giving you the honors again. Also, I like the nostalgia you bring to the countdown threads! 

Thanks I appreciate that.

I was 14 in 1969 so that season is special to me just like the 1963 season whan I was 8.

LHN has some good specials on both of those seasons and it is good to see a lot of footage from those years.

I highly recommend those two programs.

• Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Thanks I appreciate that.

I was 14 in 1969 so that season is special to me just like the 1963 season whan I was 8.

LHN has some good specials on both of those seasons and it is good to see a lot of footage from those years.

I highly recommend those two programs.

I was 12 in 69, and remember my dad being the happiest and most excited I had ever seen him in his life.

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I was 12 in 69, and remember my dad being the happiest and most excited I had ever seen him in his life.

My dad, along with my Mom, decided to flock our Christmas tree white and decorated it with orange balls and lights. My Dad had to paint the red Christmas light with yellow glass paint to make them orange because there were no orange Christmas lights. Every present under the tree was wrapped with orange and white paper.

But the best thing about that Christmas was that in my stocking was a ticket to the Cotton Bowl game against Notre Dame.

I was sitting about 15 rows up on the 10 yard line where Cotton Speyrer caught that fourth down pass from Street for the first down and then Billy Dale scored the game winning TD all right in front of me.

Never forget that.

Here is that TD from basically my vantage point only I was a little lower....look at that blocking. Peschel on the left, then Bertlesen and Billy Dale with the ball.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Steamboat1874
  • Hook 'Em 8

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

My dad, along with my Mom, decided to flock our Christmas tree white and decorated it with orange balls and lights. My Dad had to paint the red Christmas light with yellow glass paint to make them orange because there were no orange Christmas lights. Every present under the tree was wrapped with orange and white paper.

But the best thing about that Christmas was that in my stocking was a ticket to the Cotton Bowl game against Notre Dame.

I was sitting about 15 rows up on the 10 yard line where Cotton Speyrer caught that fourth down pass from Street for the first down and then Billy Dale scored the game winning TD all right in front of me.

Never forget that.

Here is that TD from basically my vantage point only I was a little lower....look at that blocking. Peschel on the left, then Bertlesen and Billy Dale with the ball.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Very cool story.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Not trying to go back in time on this thread or derail, but Charles’ first cut and acceleration after is unreal. It’s hard to even understand just how hard/special that ability is. 🤘🏼

The two cuts he makes in the short TD run at OSU are just stupid.

• Hook 'Em 1