Post Covid, Getting Back Into Office

tantric superman

48 minutes ago, F250 said:

All of this. Been WFH for a decade and can't imagine having a daily commute again. Waste of time and money.

It's the wasted time that you never get back that bugs the shit out of me. I have friends in Houston who spend over an hour each way in traffic. That's over 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, wasted. Time that you can never get back. FUCK THAT. 

Sleep in an extra hour or more. Great for your health and general well being. Get an hour back of your evenings spending time with family or going to the gym or going for walks. 

On 6/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, DaysOff said:

That's called a slam click in aviation. You get to the hotel and slam the door and click the lock. There's this bizarre esprit de corps in the airline pilot world that I'm now supposed to take you out for dinner and drinks after 8 hours in the sausage fest pointy end. Fuck you. I'm getting chipotle and watching Netflix in my underwear.

I'm a part-time slam-clicker.  The guy I hate is the guy who asks if I'm coming down for drinks tonight within the first 2 minutes of meeting at the start of the trip.  I'm a 2 beers a night guy no matter what, so I'm definitely coming down to the bar... but it remains to be determined if those 2 beers will be with you at the hotel bar or by myself at the place next door.  I can't have that figured out yet the moment we meet.  Unless the FAs are hot, then I'm down with the group until their drama kicks in, which is conveniently usually right around the 2-beer mark for me.  

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

It's the wasted time that you never get back that bugs the shit out of me. I have friends in Houston who spend over an hour each way in traffic. That's over 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, wasted. Time that you can never get back. FUCK THAT. 

Sleep in an extra hour or more. Great for your health and general well being. Get an hour back of your evenings spending time with family or going to the gym or going for walks. 

I’d say Houston super long commute guy does it himself. They either live too far out or don’t get to work early. Usually both. Some guys at my office live in Montgomery, Rosharon, and Fulshear. We had a guy that drove in from Beaumont every day. Some brain surgeons were talking about moving out to Sealy when it looked like WFH might go on a bit longer. 

I get it. They want new construction and good schools, but at what cost? You can get plenty of house and Cy Fair schools in Jersey Village. 290 and the Beltway are right there. You can get anywhere you need to go in 30 minutes. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

13 hours ago, crash_davis said:

This is one of the main reasons why I plan on working from one at least 1-2 days per week, just to avoid the time suck of the commute. 

My law practice has been largely digital the past few years.  I've transitioned to paperless files, and I can work from home unless I have a trial, hearing, deposition, mediation, etc. that requires in-person attendance.  And that'll happen more as we work out of the pandemic, and for fellowship sake I need to be in the office a few days a week even if I could otherwise work from home just to be around my firm family.  But if I can carve out 1-2 days where I avoid 45 minutes a day crawling along Mopac, I'm going to do that.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rosharon, and Fulshear.

These are both 10x easier commute than ever, ever, ever fucking with 290.   I’ve worked with guys from Hville and Columbus, and as far North as Huntsville.  Some people need money but don’t like big city living. 

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

These are both 10x easier commute than ever, ever, ever fucking with 290.   I’ve worked with guys from Hville and Columbus, and as far North as Huntsville.  Some people need money but don’t like big city living. 

I hate city living so much that I'll literally waste 2 hours of my life everyday to prove that point.

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I hate city living so much that I'll literally waste 2 hours of my life everyday to prove that point.

Eh. It’s literally the only time of day I (used to) have away from wife, kids, and constant phone calls at work.   Time to zone the fuck out. 

Some people enjoy a long commute. It’s not a unique thing. For most it seems like a convenient excuse to get away from their kids/spouse and listen to podcasts or audio books. 

It’s baffling to me. They can listen to podcasts or audio books at their desk. The AirPod Pro is a beautiful thing.  Long commutes are a tremendous waste of time, wear and tear on personal vehicles, and if there’s bad weather it doubles some commute times. 

I can leave the office, drive home, and knock out an hour long work out before 530. 

But hey, if that’s what people want to do it, if they want to be another hours wasted per year statistic, please have at it. 

8 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Rosharon is a tough commute. 288 and 610 by NRG are a GD nightmare right now, and it’s been that way for some time. 

FYI to Houston commuters, they closed the 610 North ramp at 59/69 South. Sounds like it’s done for the rest of the year. Time will tell. It could reduce traffic on 59 South because Waze/map apps will avoid that route. On the flip side, millions of cars could detour to Newcastle/Chimney Rock and apply even more pressure on Galleria traffic. Richmond south is getting pretty damned hairy. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rosharon is a tough commute. 288 and 610 by NRG are a GD nightmare right now, and it’s been that way for some time. 

I read Rosenberg originally.  My bad.  I did commute from Richmond to Rosharon for 5 years.  It sucked but was all back roads and little traffic.  

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I read Rosenberg originally.  My bad.  I did commute from Richmond to Rosharon for 5 years.  It sucked but was all back roads and little traffic.  

It’s all good. 

Until proven otherwise, I think Humble/Kingwood is the best suburban commute in Houston, especially if you work downtown. I dropped my wife off at Bush at 6 am and made to Greenway in under 30 minutes before. 

I moved a half mile from our office last year.

I have total flexibility but go in most days in the mornings to get shit done and work from wherever in the afternoons.

I could not work from home all the time I would go crazy.

I’m in staffing and IT has been especially resistant to jobs that are mandatory butts in office. Someone somewhere will hire you to code from your moms basement.

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

It’s all good. 

Until proven otherwise, I think Humble/Kingwood is the best suburban commute in Houston, especially if you work downtown. I dropped my wife off at Bush at 6 am and made to Greenway in under 30 minutes before. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s all good. 

Yep, 59 is the best drive in for sure as far as major highways.  290 actually is considerably better than it was with the construction complete and less people on the roads. I can leave in “rush hour traffic” and still get to cypress area in 30 min pending no major accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

Company sent an email that men, not women, may wear shorts to the office during the summer. Ham fisted as usual.

Anyone that takes them up on it will probably be disqualified for promotion and maybe should be shot. 

I do hope it discourages the slacks, tailored dress shirt, and wingtips crowd to tone it down some. 

On 6/24/2021 at 12:02 PM, Sbbruin said:

On a slightly tangential topic, I was just trying to locate a talent agent who moved out under cover of darkness a couple of months ago and stopped paying rent.  I google his firm and I get a google listing under the website www.whorepresents.com  .  No, I did not read it as it apparently was intended- "who-represents.com"

Did he take his couch with him?