Need CenTex water rec

jimmyjazz

My wife is losing her mind, and I need to get her to somewhere relaxing within a couple hours drive of Austin, preferably a lake or river.  Next week.  Like Tue/Wed/Th is fine.  Day trip is fine, overnight is fine, car camping at most.

Is there anywhere we can go where we won't be bombarded by kids, rednecks, and other n'er do wells?

I am not hopeful.

18 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

You want to go to a lake and or river where you could car camp and don't want there to be kids or rednecks in the vicinity?  Have you ever been to a lake or river in your life?  Yes abandon all hope.

Well, we don't mind a hotel, but camping would work too.

Like I said, I'm not hopeful.

Just go buy some tubes, an inflator, and a cooler and go down and float the Comal River on a weekday morning.  Then change clothes surfer style and go grab a bit to eat somewhere before heading home.  You could probably find a place to car camp, but it's a good out and back trip.  Catch a little sun and have a few beverages followed by a nice meal.  

Find a cabin/B&B on the banks of the Llano, preferably closer to Mason or even further upstream towards Junction.  If you're not at a road crossing, traffic on that river is light.  And the flyfishing for small bass and sunfish is fun, but it's also an easy river just to hang out and cool off in.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping.

We’re going down to the SA area in a couple of weeks and doing Fiesta Texas one day and a water park the next(Saturday) then driving back to DFW right after.

Which between Aquatica (Sea World) or Schlitterbahn in NB would you recommend for a 5-year and almost 8-year old girls? We wouldn’t do the sea world portion. I hear that Schlitterbahn is aging with not many recent upgrades and of course is massive. I haven’t been there since 2004 or so. We checked out both websites and tried to find ratings but they were of no help.

Any recs?

Thanks

Since this thread got bumped, an update:  in the interest of familial harmony (read:  whatever amount I was getting was about to be slashed 90%), I ended up booking a "resort pass" at Omni Barton Creek.  The 6 of us got a cabana for a day for $200.  Free fruit and soft drinks, plus the menu food & drinks were good and not particularly expensive, the pools were mostly empty, there was a nice breeze, the sun was warm, and it included putt putt golf on top of it all.  12 minute drive from our house and it felt like we were 1,000 miles away.  Not the best $200 I've ever spent, but a long way from the worst.

• Hook 'Em 2

Laugh all you want but my kids liked Splash Town in San Antonio better than Schlitterbahn. No lines and more slides. Waiting in line for an hour for a ride that last 2 minutes is whack. And Splash Town was super cheap.