24 year old NHL player killed

closetohumping

By fireworks apparently? https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/05/sport/matiss-kivlenieks-death-spt-intl/index.html

Matiss Kivlenieks, a goaltender for the Columbus Blue Jackets of the National Hockey League, died Sunday night after an accident involving fireworks at a party, according to authorities in Novi, Michigan.

Kivlenieks, 24, died from a fireworks mortar blast and chest trauma, according to Inspector Mitch Brown of the Oakland County Medical Examiner's Office.
The death was ruled accidental after a full autopsy was conducted by the Oakland County Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Ljubisa Dragovic, Brown said.

Damn.

Police say the goalie was about 10 feet away from that mortar before suffering what is called a percussion injury or blast injury.

It was a direct shot right to his chest that did massive internal damage to the organs. 

The fire department and EMTs got to the private home about 10:13pm on Sunday night. Kivlenieks is said to have told one teammate not to get into the ambulance with him. 

'[Kivlenieks] didn't want him to have to see that,' Kivlenieks's agent Jay Grossman told DailyMail.com

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9759199/Columbus-Blue-Jackets-goalie-Matiss-Kivlenieks-24-killed-firework-home-coach-Manny-Legace.html

Early reports said he fell jumping out of a hot tub and hit his head on concrete.  I’m not saying I don’t trust the coroner, but that sounds much more likely than concussion trauma to his internal organs.  Sounds like a whale of a mortar!

Commotio cortis maybe?  (Google it - nightmare fuel for parents of little league pitchers)  But not if he told his teammate not to get in the ambulance.  Freaky stuff!

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sounds like he died in front of his teammate and teammates pregnant wife. Just a brutal way to go. 

At his coach's house, at a party celebrating the wedding of the coach's daughter.

2 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Early reports said he fell jumping out of a hot tub and hit his head on concrete.  I’m not saying I don’t trust the coroner, but that sounds much more likely than concussion trauma to his internal organs.  Sounds like a whale of a mortar!

If he hit his head on concrete enough to kill him, he's not coherently talking to his teammates on the way to the ambulance.  Sounded like it blew his chest open.

On 7/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, cabowabo said:

Where can one acquire one of these mortar rounds?  Asking for a friend.

The artillery shells (go by many names) that they sell at any firework stand are no joke. I worked a stand in HS and we’d shoot $1000s off after the season as a big party. One of the tubes got knocked over by the blast of a tube beside it and fired right into a car door 40 yards away. Absolutely hammered that door and had to be replaced. Those things can be deadly. 

13 hours ago, SurlyGator said:

Commotio cortis maybe?  (Google it - nightmare fuel for parents of little league pitchers)  But not if he told his teammate not to get in the ambulance.  Freaky stuff!

Not Commotio Cordis. Cardiac arrest happens instantly upon the blow to the chest due to it interrupting the T wave in the cardiac cycle. Even if CPR is done immediately, it still has a 65% non-survivability rate.

Multiple reports having him talking and getting into the ambulance on his own. If he was hit in the hottub or if it just exploded underneath the water near him, it could be a cardiac contusion, lung injury or combination of the two. Bowel (hollow organ) injuries would be exacerbated also due to overpressure from being below the water.

• Like 1