The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

Just now, Bottlecap said:

GERGG cost us the spot by starting the shittiest lineup since we were starting Edson Buddle at the 9 in a fuckin WC match 

Talking about the first game? Yeah. I agree. Today's lineup was great though based on who we have on the roster. 

Apparently Dike has been nicknamed "El Tanque" by the Univision commentators.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Dike & Hoppe are soon going to be looking at Sargent in their rear view mirror. 

As long as Sargent keeps playing like a true 2-way player that defends hard, your statement is false. Also, Dike needs to improve his footwork. He's perfect for CONCACAF where you can play physical and can throw his weight around to win balls in the final third, but against better competition, he'll need better feet. Hoppe looked good today, but we need to see how he does at striker on the MNT before he can displace Sargent.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

As long as Sargent keeps playing like a true 2-way player that defends hard, your statement is false. Also, Dike needs to improve his footwork. He's perfect for CONCACAF where you can play physical and can throw his weight around to win balls in the final third, but against better competition, he'll need better feet. Hoppe looked good today, but we need to see how he does at striker on the MNT before he can displace Sargent.

I'm not sleeping on Sargent quite yet. But he clearly has some competition. 

Which is a great thing for us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I’d be fine with the same lineup and Lletget replacing Roldan and vines replacing Bello.  

Vines impressed you the other night? He scored the goal, but eeeyeah, I dunno. Bello wasn't great, however, I thought he contributed much more overall than Vines.

• Hook 'Em 1

Best thing about today is the team was positive the entire game. Our young guns were on the front foot from first touch, and that put Martinique under constant pressure until 90+5.

Heading off for some fishing/camping in central Idaho. No internet, no phone, no nada. Won't be back until Monday evening. That should've been just in time but CONCACAF is the stupidest of all federations, which means round 3 of pool play for Group B will be played in less than two days. Don't think there are any matches scheduled for Monday  night, so it makes zero sense.

Worse, they gave Group B the early games--4 p.m. Central--and Group A (i.e., corrupt Mexico) the later, 9 p.m. start.

Anyway, if someone wants to record the match and upload to YouTube for me ... thanks? I keed, I keed.

Anyway, Busio, Dike and Hoppe should starts.

9 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

This is about as good as we could’ve expected. 

I went back and read the comments under this post. 

Well over 250 post and about 50 to 75 posts in, to a man, everyone is psyched about the lineup and saying basically “It’s about fucking time!”

Then that lineup stakes out a 4-0 lead before guys are subbed off to rest for Sunday’s match. 

Acosta’s fuckup costs us a goal, but a quick break gets Zaire’s in the clear and Giocchini (sp?) is subbed in as a striker (which he is) rather than a winger (which he most certainly is NOT) and he looks really threatening before he finally snags a goal on a “nice piece of skill” off of a worm-burning cross from his old teammate (& fellow half Italian), Gianluca Busio.

It’s amazing how so many fans were right and easily pointed out the obvious while Gregg seemed lost in the wilderness.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Damn, Alberth Elis subbed out at the half for Honduras. He should've been their best attacking player - not to mention he used to play for the Houston Dynamo - but I only remember him touching the ball once in the 1st half. 

The manager must've noticed too and wasn't having his shit. 

And a PK given as I type this. 

24 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

anyone else watching

In the background.

23 minutes ago, TexasMan said:

Yup. Panama playing real well after that Quioto goal. This 2nd half should be great. 

Maybe. Panama turned it up after that goal and Honduras hasn't answered. They need to find their attack again.

• Like 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

i looked away for a second - did they ever show a side view of the offside

The defender kicked out his leg to deflect the ball which eliminates offsides completely. 

NO OFFSIDES

With this result, Honduras will happily tie or lose to Qatar for a future donation to the Honduran Fútbol Federación.