The 2021 Gold Cup

Knoxtnhorn

There's something to be said that our 2s, 3s and 4s can show up and handle an inferior squad. It got dicey at times but I'd bet our xG was closer to 2 than 1. Shaqs play on the wing was definitely the bright spot of the night. More Busio and Dike - he's an animal on top of the ball. A bit like Jozy when he was actually worth a shit.

13 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

only in Concacaf would you have a game starting at 10 pm local time with a team that just found out it was playing in the tournament a couple of days ago.

If the federation really wanted to have some fun, it'd have put El Salvador and Honduras in the same group. Sweatergawd, FIFA does something similar as much as possible for England/Argentina.

2 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

only in Concacaf would you have a game starting at 10 pm local time with a team that just found out it was playing in the tournament a couple of days ago.

The game started at 10pm local time, but 9pm in Guatemala & El Salvador and 8pm in the homes of MS13 members in LA.

Starting later give players the most time to arrive and get settled. I have no time with this. 

Should CONCACAF have had a game going during the UEFA Final?

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Boy am I out of touch with this current crop of players. I've really checked out since the WCQ flop. I barely recognized any names besides Zardes.

None of these guys start for us when we are at full strength. 

I don't think Yueill trying to go from a stop to take the ball upfield with a defender who already has momentum running at him is a good idea that is going to lead to any positive outcome.

The correct play to me looks like playing the ball to Zimmerman who then has the entire field in front of him, instead of back to Robinson.

The lineup was bad but if the idea is to rotate the team a lot for the first two games and then put together a real "top" team from what we brought in for the Canada game and knockout stages, it's not awful. If we rotate the next game and then come back to essentially this exact same lineup for the games that matter, yep, it's going to be bad.

Edited by goatsaag
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

The lineup was bad but if the idea is to rotate the team a lot for the first two games and then put together a real "top" team from what we brought in for the Canada game and knockout stages, it's not awful. If we rotate the next game and then come back to essentially this exact same lineup for the games that matter, yep, it's going to be bad.

Agree, if the lineup was just done for rotation purposes, fine.   I dont think that is the case though, I hope I am wrong about that.  GGG loves Yueill for some bizarre reason.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

I don't think Yueill trying to go from a stop to take the ball upfield with a defender who already has momentum running at him is a good idea that is going to lead to any positive outcome.

The correct play to me looks like playing the ball to Zimmerman who then has the entire field in front of him, instead of back to Robinson.

I'm not sure we're watching the same clip. The middle of the field is wide open and his defender is beat. All he has to do is turn upfield. He doesn't even have to stop the ball. He should be turning to receive it then his first touch should play it upfield with his left. It looks like he doesn't understand where the defense is and takes an awful first touch as a result - stopping it with his right. 

On the bright side, Busio looked good enough in the short time he was on the pitch that Gergg just might start him over Yueill this Thursday. Giancarlo's first pass was a giveaway, but he immediately won the ball back and, after that, provided some much-needed composure and competency. We can only hope (pray?) that Gergg observed this, as well.

Props to @UDontKnow, who apparently does know quite a bit about Busio as he was advocating in the USMNT thread for Giancarlo to be capped ASAP.

Another positive is we probably won't see Gyasi against Martinique. He's on a yellow after turning in one of the worst performances by a US striker in years (and that's saying something!). Zardes has always had a heavy foot, but last night set a new low. He looked slow, gave the ball away countless times, and missed two crosses for goals that he probably would have made five or six years ago.

Lewis was pretty awful and his minutes should be going to Dike, Hoppe or anyone else willing to make a play instead of standing with the ball at his feet until dispossessed. 

Moore was surprisingly effective in a sort of wingback role. If Cannon is healed up enough, then I'd like to see Reggie at his usual right back slot and Moore playing wing in front of him.

Wasn't all that impressed with Gioacchini, but I shouldn't be too quick to judge after just one match.

Finally, with Acosta on a yellow, there'll probably be some shuffling in midfield, which means we're likely to see Roldan.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure we're watching the same clip. The middle of the field is wide open and his defender is beat. All he has to do is turn upfield. He doesn't even have to stop the ball. He should be turning to receive it then his first touch should play it upfield with his left. It looks like he doesn't understand where the defense is and takes an awful first touch as a result - stopping it with his right. 

His defender isn't beat. Yueill is stationary with the defender running to him with pressure. Yes, part of the problem absolutely is that Yueill is not a good enough player than running with the ball is a realistic option there.

18 hours ago, ztejas said:

There's something to be said that our 2s, 3s and 4s can show up and handle an inferior squad.

Dude.  In 17 years dating back to 360 before hornfans through both shags and now the surl, i have never blocked anyone or neg repped anyone.

So i am entitled to say, you need to re-evaluate your perceived self-proclaimed expertise in this forum.  Read more outside the forum.  Post less here.  Increase quality.  Gain respect.

57 minutes ago, goatsaag said:

His defender isn't beat. Yueill is stationary with the defender running to him with pressure. Yes, part of the problem absolutely is that Yueill is not a good enough player than running with the ball is a realistic option there.

We're just not seeing the same thing I guess. 

44 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Dude.  In 17 years dating back to 360 before hornfans through both shags and now the surl, i have never blocked anyone or neg repped anyone.

So i am entitled to say, you need to re-evaluate your perceived self-proclaimed expertise in this forum.  Read more outside the forum.  Post less here.  Increase quality.  Gain respect.

I'm not an expert and have never claimed to be. In fact I tend to ask questions here when I'm out of the loop. Maybe help us out and tell me what your issue with that comment is? 

Edited by ztejas

18 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's like having a version of jnip, but on our side

i *REALLY* don't want to call people names

really

don't

want to

Harsh. I think he's the ghost of Rocko, but he's no JNip.

We're all one big, dysfunctional family here. I'd be happy to watch a game with any of you ... except @Napoleon. Fuck that guy. Has a little dictator complex and won't ever share his grappa with me.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Harsh

allow me to retort

and i quote:

"There's something to be said that our 2s, 3s and 4s can show up and handle an inferior squad."

allow me to translate:

"There's something to be said that the Horns' 3-deep can show up and beat Van Horn or Fort Davis on penetrations."

(narrator: both Van Horn and Fort Davis play 6-man)

"handling" in the case of last night's game, with an all-exhibition D-side, would 3- or 4-nil with bright patches of joy going forward and level of technical proficiency above lucy pulling the ball from charlie brown..

not asking for much.

what we saw last night was not "handling".

not harsh.

i can be harsh.

very harsh.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Boy am I out of touch with this current crop of players. I've really checked out since the WCQ flop. I barely recognized any names besides Zardes.

11 hours ago, ztejas said:

None of these guys start for us when we are at full strength. 

Fuck, almost none of these guys should sniff camp when we are running out our full strength team.

Both Panama & Qatar look better than the shit that Berhalter ran out Sunday night.

These two teams appear to know how to move the ball around. They appear to have wingers. 😶

Choosing a squad with only one winger that was NOT hot dog shit was a brilliant move on Berhalter's part, especially after that one winger got hurt less than 25 minutes into the tournament. Brilliant move... dumb ass!

35 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Both Panama & Qatar look better than the shit that Berhalter ran out Sunday night.

These two teams appear to know how to move the ball around. They appear to have wingers. 😶

Choosing a squad with only one winger that was NOT hot dog shit was a brilliant move on Berhalter's part, especially after that one winger got hurt less than 25 minutes into the tournament. Brilliant move... dumb ass!

The silver lining is that Hoppe is likely to see the field now. And I feel that it's an easier transition for Hoppe from center-forward to winger.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm pulling for Grenada.

This has been fairly interesting so far.

The crowd is crazy for Honduras. Drunk Hondurans filling out the stands.

Grenada only has 100,000 people (or so), so they don't have a bunch of expats in Houston.

PLUS:

Grenada's main striker up front is named...

JAMAL CHARLES

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

sad

Very sad. The defender should have sent it to the player over by the sideline.

What a bad move, especially considering everyone is using this tournament as an opportunity to impress scouts.

NO scout is going to be impressed by that.

On 7/12/2021 at 4:28 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

ztejas chose the wrong word to use but his point was fair  and as far as entitlement and self-perceived importance goes in this thread there is no worse perpetrator than you. 

• Haha 1