Fruit

Baboontyme

Peach on right, cherry on left. 

51304058205_5ebd83cd53_z.jpg

Millions of peaches

51303761139_4d7b4848ce_z.jpg

Peaches for me

51303041666_c53d565abd_z.jpg

I don't know wtf is wrong with this guy. 3 cherries that never got ripe this year. Nothing at all in the past. He's obviously growing healthily. Bugs? These trees were both gifted to me 4 years ago, they were potted from Home Depot, no taller than 8 ft at most. 

51302294607_9197532d9e_c.jpg

Edited by Baboontyme

• 2 years later...
On 7/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, Baboontyme said:

Peach on right, cherry on left. 

51304058205_5ebd83cd53_z.jpg

Millions of peaches

51303761139_4d7b4848ce_z.jpg

Peaches for me

51303041666_c53d565abd_z.jpg

I don't know wtf is wrong with this guy. 3 cherries that never got ripe this year. Nothing at all in the past. He's obviously growing healthily. Bugs? These trees were both gifted to me 4 years ago, they were potted from Home Depot, no taller than 8 ft at most. 

51302294607_9197532d9e_c.jpg

Nice court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A couple of years ago I was in Kauai and there was a fruit stand selling white pineapples that had been cut up. 

It was $5 for a small container but I wanted to try them so I bought one and brought the container back to the beach and opened it with the family to try.

It was easily the best fruit I've ever tasted.  After we finished it, I decided to go back and buy a bunch more but she only had two containers left.  It was our last full day and I'll likely never taste a pineapple that good again.

Also, to repeat what everyone else said, the best fruit is what is grown locally.  The people who we were staying with grew these tiny bananas in their backyard.  At full size, they were no more than 3 inches. I hardly ever eat bananas from the store but I had these every day I was there the entire 2 weeks.  I'll probably never eat a store bought banana again.

Apples have gotten crazy expensive. But I always have a few on hand, either honey crisp or fujis usually.

Mandarin oranges, bananas, red grapes, strawberries, blueberries, mangos are usually around. You can see how to cut a mango on YouTube. It’s easy.

I had some pears in Italy in high school that were unlike any I’ve had since. Super sweet, full of juice, soft not grainy. Have never found anything close here.

I love melons but it’s so hard to find good ones these days. I think seedless watermelons are usually bad and all seem to be too cucumbery or mushy. And it’s hard to get great cantaloupes. In Japan I would always eat the green muskmelon they prize there. Some can go for $15k! They are perfection. Super sweet and full of juice. Nothing like them here.

15 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I think seedless watermelons are usually bad and all seem to be too cucumbery or mushy.

Seedless watermelons have been shittier than usual this year. They’re either mushy as hell and overripe or hard as a rock and taste like nothing.

I prefer larger watermelons but the wife loves the seedless ones and we’ve been buying them for years. This year has been the first time they were all shitty no matter where I bought them so I just stopped buying them.

Yep. I like the concept of the little seedless watermelons but all bad. Wife’s grandpa grew really good melons in Tennessee so she’s cool with big seeded ones but they’re no good either lately.

When I was a kid they would have these watermelon stands in most towns. They would just have a lighted lot and some big troughs filled with ice water and melons. Pick red or yellow, whole, half or quarter. Sit at the picnic table and chow down. A great memory and the best watermelons. Dad would take a whole one home for later.

On 12/31/2023 at 5:22 PM, Texzilla58 said:

I had some pears in Italy in high school that were unlike any I’ve had since. Super sweet, full of juice, soft not grainy. Have never found anything close here..

my largest issue with pears is that they have a tiny window for perfect

On 7/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, Brisketexan said:

The problem is, we've been exposed to fruit in other countries -- Mexico, various european countries, etc.  And the hell of it is....MOST American fruit just f'n sucks…
I've never had a piece of American fruit as delicious as a mexican mango,

yeah true. I never ate fruit in texas. like once in years. but I’ve lived in guadalajara for over a year now and these are everywhere in my neighborhood. $2 for a quart container of the best fruit you ever tasted. I eat it every day.

IMG_5852.jpeg

IMG_5853.jpeg

C8EB49E9-6BAC-46A7-A184-C0E0C6B88DEA.jpeg

IMG_4727.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

69680113540__760B50FA-C558-487A-92D9-653BA3A458BB.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1