Fruit

Baboontyme

I eat some nearly every morning.  Like to get 4 or 5 different things, chop it up, and make enough fruit salad to last a few days.  Last batch was watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, and blueberries.  Makes me feel a little healthier while eating a breakfast taco.

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gotta have fruit in the house. I like it as a snack. Wholesome, natural, chock-full of vitamins. I don't know let's see... mangos... four plums with red on the inside... avocado... ooo, just right... and three plantains ought to do it.

You're not getting any plantains!

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Mangosteen.

962120875_gettymangosteen.thumb.jpg.c821e54a497d5d19c7ef1748e3ad4b20.jpg

After years away from them, a really ripe perfect summer peach is something I crave dearly.

Love the mangosteen and rambutan when I get to go to Thailand

We usually keep apples, strawberries, and blue/black/raspberries on hand but mark me down for mango as my "favorite".....however, the mangoes here are NOTHING compared to what you get in India or some parts of Asia.  There are sooooo many more varieties over there that we don't get here that are sweeter, juicier, and significantly better than here (no strings in your teeth or "dry" after taste). So yeah, I like mango

I have a tree that has to be 100 years old. It's from an old orchard homesteaders planted way before my grandfather bought the place in the 1920's. It's been struck by lightning and split in half. It puts off more pears than I can handle every year. They are sweet, crisp and delicious. I need to figure out how to make some liqueur.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We really like fruit.  The problem is, we've been exposed to fruit in other countries -- Mexico, various european countries, etc.  And the hell of it is....MOST American fruit just f'n sucks.  Some regional fruits are great -- fresh apples in Michigan, fresh cherries in Washington, southern blackberries, Maine blueberries.

But I've never had a piece of American fruit as delicious as a mexican mango, any northern european strawberry (Germany's are the best, but all the rest are still amazing), or Armenian apricots, as just a few examples.  After eating those, an American apricot or strawberry just tastes like sadness.  On occasion, you can find good fruit at a farmer's market -- if it's a good breed, grown locally, and you don't worry about how pretty it looks.

We raise fruit to be available year-round, to ship and stay pretty for long-distances.....and to taste like shit.

I love a good small hill country peach, a honeycrisp apple, and a good imported mango.  Some grapes are really good.  And a few other things when they are in season and can make it down here (washington cherries).  But otherwise....one factor in Americans not eating enough fruit may well be that our fruit sucks.  Our citrus is pretty good, I guess.  I do love a ruby red grapefruit, and a valencia orange from the RGV can be fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't go anywhere other than the grocery store and the gym, and of course school drop off. So I don't know any better. 

I do love Florida oranges. Grew up with a couple of orange trees in my grandparents yard. Also Michigan has great cherries - Traverse City is the cherry capital of the world. I have a cherry tree next to my peach tree but it hasn't seen any action. It's growing like crazy but other than a couple earlier this summer that got picked off by the tree rats I didn't see anything.  

I'm not a big fan of apples personally. I love pineapple. I like a good kumquat. That's what she said. 

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Also Michigan has great cherries - Traverse City is the cherry capital of the world. 

CSB: Two years ago, my family was in Traverse (Leland, more specifically) during the Cherry Festival.

The were having a late season/harvest, so all of the cherries that were available were from Eastern Washington (including from the family farm of a friend of ours). /CSB

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

We really like fruit.  The problem is, we've been exposed to fruit in other countries -- Mexico, various european countries, etc.  And the hell of it is....MOST American fruit just f'n sucks.  Some regional fruits are great -- fresh apples in Michigan, fresh cherries in Washington, southern blackberries, Maine blueberries.

this is true.  the strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries in california, there's nothing like them.  ruined my taste for them anywhere else (i've never had maine blueberries).  lychees and longans in asia.  rainier cherries on the west coast.  french jam of all sorts, grape, quince, apple. it's the difference between watching tv in black/white and then color in 4k.    

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But I've never had a piece of American fruit as delicious as a mexican mango, any northern european strawberry (Germany's are the best, but all the rest are still amazing), or Armenian apricots, as just a few examples.  After eating those, an American apricot or strawberry just tastes like sadness.  On occasion, you can find good fruit at a farmer's market -- if it's a good breed, grown locally, and you don't worry about how pretty it looks.

We raise fruit to be available year-round, to ship and stay pretty for long-distances.....and to taste like shit.

I love a good small hill country peach, a honeycrisp apple, and a good imported mango.  Some grapes are really good.  And a few other things when they are in season and can make it down here (washington cherries).  But otherwise....one factor in Americans not eating enough fruit may well be that our fruit sucks.  Our citrus is pretty good, I guess.  I do love a ruby red grapefruit, and a valencia orange from the RGV can be fantastic.

Armenian apricots are ludicrously good. Add to that Ukrainian cherries. 

I will say that a Hill Country peach is up there. And RGV Rio Red grapefruit and valley lemons. 

I love mangos. But I’d have to go with strawberries. Good ones like you grow in your own garden. The great big jumbo ones you can buy in the store are okay but they’re not the same as the ones we used to grow in the garden. By themselves, or with shortcake, or on ice cream, or with cereal, or in pie. I love the kind of strawberry pie that comes with strawberries in a gelatinous base that you top with whipped cream like you’d find at Big Boy. My mom has a recipe for a baked strawberry pie that is incredible. Nothing else comes close to the flavor of strawberries.

Honorable mention: habaneros.

10 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I try to eat a cup of frozen blueberries everyday.  I like them frozen.

HEB pineapples have been outstanding for the last 2 months.  

Ow, my teeth! I’ve never heard of that. I’d have to suck on them until they got soft. I’ve also never been a fan of chewing ice.

My mom used to make blueberry pancakes with frozen blueberries. She’d pour the batter on the griddle then sprinkle on the blueberries. When they were done, the blueberries were warm but surrounded by a little pocket of batter that was just a little less done than the rest of the pancake. It wasn’t runny or anything. Just different. I liked that.

I love blueberries too. We used to go to a farm where you picked your own blueberries and you could select all the biggest, ripest ones. And pop a few fresh picked berries in your mouth while you were at it. That was fun. I remember we had big boxes we’d fill. I don’t know how much we got but my mom would make blueberry pie and cobbler and we’d still be left with a bunch of Tupperware containers of blueberries in the big freezer downstairs that lasted us until the next summer. Good times. 

• Like 1

Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, apples of all varieties, loquat (I have a loquat tree at my house, didn’t fruit this year thanks to Mr Freeze), pears, pineapple, dragonfruit, kiwi, melons, peaches, apricots, plums, ruby red grapefruit, guava, mango, strawberry, etc.  All are in my normal rotation.   I love fruit.  

one of my favorite things to eat in the summer is a spring green mix salad with grilled chicken, blackberry, raspberry, banana peppers, almond, and oil/vinegar or a light vinegarette dressing.    So damn tasty.   

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

But Jesus they’re good.

Oh yes! Very underrated fruit in my opinion, which is especially weird because we are in Texas and it’s one of the few native foodstuffs.

Shiner Bock Ruby Red flavor seasonal beer however, I’ll go ahead and be a heretic and say it was gross back when I used to drink.

The best fruit is whatever you can buy locally that has been picked at the proper time. Stuff from the grocery store just isn’t the same. If I’m only going with one, it’s going to be blackberries. I celebrate the entire berry family though. 

We had a huge blackberry thicket when I was a kid, picking 20 gallons at a time was nothing. We used to freeze them in pint Tupperware containers with sugar water. My after school snack was grab one of those, dump it in a bowl, add milk then chop it all up with a spoon. Sort of a low rent blackberry ice cream, but it was excellent.

• Like 1

We had a huge blackberry thicket when I was a kid, picking 20 gallons at a time was nothing. We used to freeze them in pint Tupperware containers with sugar water. My after school snack was grab one of those, dump it in a bowl, add milk then chop it all up with a spoon. Sort of a low rent blackberry ice cream, but it was excellent.

We had open land overrun with dewberries behind my house growing up. In good seasons, I could easily fill peach baskets with them. Ate them plain with a dash of sugar. Ate them over my cereal. Ate all the dewberry cobbler. Put them in pancakes. ALL the dewberries.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ate all the dewberry cobbler. Put them in pancakes. ALL the dewberries.

My Granny's blackberry cobbler may be the greatest thing I've ever eaten. I remember being disappointed when I joined the military and found out they only know about blueberries. Blueberries are like bad sex. Yeah, it was sex, but you're ashamed to admit it.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:06 PM, gsoda3 said:

this is true.  the strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries in california, there's nothing like them.  ruined my taste for them anywhere else (i've never had maine blueberries).  lychees and longans in asia.  rainier cherries on the west coast.  french jam of all sorts, grape, quince, apple. it's the difference between watching tv in black/white and then color in 4k.    

Yeah, my uncle in Los Angeles has a huge fruit garden. He spends hours watering it after work. Had some kumquats and pomegranates that were just incredible. To paraphrase George Costanza, felt like I got a B12 shot. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley