Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Longhornfan1024

15 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Ah, i didnt remember that he was in iron man 3. Love him and the character is funny, but seemed so out of place. Having to clean up the movie universe as an imperative does a disservice to the movie….but maybe its what the fans want

It was less about cleaning up the movie universe than it was confronting the whiteness of the initial batch of Marvel movies and the history of racism in the comics.  The director was basically saying "you had a role that could have gone to an Asian actor and instead you chose to pull a bait and switch to have a half Asian (South, not East) actor play a fool and white Guy Pearce play the mastermind.  And by the way, choosing to call him the Mandarin was just a little bit racist and a whole lotta stupid."  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

It was less about cleaning up the movie universe than it was confronting the whiteness of the initial batch of Marvel movies and the history of racism in the comics.  The director was basically saying "you had a role that could have gone to an Asian actor and instead you chose to pull a bait and switch to have a half Asian (South, not East) actor play a fool and white Guy Pearce play the mastermind.  And by the way, choosing to call him the Mandarin was just a little bit racist and a whole lotta stupid."  

that makes sense.  but its still serving to the franchise, because its meta to this movie as a standalone film... atleast for the few stragglers like me who arent married to the MCU

On 11/16/2021 at 7:16 PM, rage-a-holic said:

I like well made fantasy films. I fucking hate kung fu crap. This is hours of kung fu crap with some fantasy elements. Fucking Crouching Panda Dragons.

Sooo you assumed this might not have any kung fu crap in it? An asian cast in an action movie…based on comics…did you think they might have other super powers? Lol

I enjoyed it last night. Good way to kill time while smoking bbq. I chuckled a few times.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, utxmike05 said:

Sooo you assumed this might not have any kung fu crap in it? An asian cast in an action movie…based on comics…did you think they might have other super powers? Lol

I enjoyed it last night. Good way to kill time while smoking bbq. I chuckled a few times.  

I described what this thing is. Not a word about me not expecting kung fu.

I thought it was great. I didn't mind Awkwafina. Every Marvel movie will have a comic relief character and she wasn't terrible.

All the primary Kung Fu fights were great. The bus fight was great, the scaffolding fight was great, even though you knew he was gonna go super saiyan eventually it was still done well. 

It's a comic book, turn your brain off and enjoy the spectacle.

• Like 1

Watched it with the kids last night. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther, and they were somewhat similar stories (minus dad being the bad guy). Awesome fight choreography.

So Wong and Abomination have a side hustle where they fight for money? That must be where Wong gets his tuna melt money.