Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings

Longhornfan1024

I'll say the same thing as others.  Took the whole family to the Alamo to go see it.  So nice being back in theaters.  Great, fun movie.  Origin story that wasn't formulaic, complicated and sympathetic antagonist, and a great homage to the older Kung fu fantasy films.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, freyguy said:

I'll say the same thing as others.  Took the whole family to the Alamo to go see it.  So nice being back in theaters.  Great, fun movie.  Origin story that wasn't formulaic, complicated and sympathetic antagonist, and a great homage to the older Kung fu fantasy films.

This. The first 3/4 of the movie was badass. The last 1/4 of the movie was meh, but overall, still the best marvel movie in a few years. The martial arts was awesome in this flick

This. The first 3/4 of the movie was badass. The last 1/4 of the movie was meh, but overall, still the best marvel movie in a few years. The martial arts was awesome in this flick

Same here. Same problem I had with Black Widow. Small stories don’t need the giant CGI orgy as a climax. Should’ve just been him vs his dad. Maybe throw in the 10 Rings crew he has to fight through and have a PG13 Kill Bill Crazy 88’s style brawl.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  Trailers didn’t  quite do it justice, but they didn’t give it away.    

This is just me being an Agents of Shield fanboy but all the martial arts, it would have been cool to tie Melinda May to the Ten Rings stuff. But MCU ain’t ever gonna acknowledge Agents of Shield. I don’t think AoS Ever touched her backstory pre-SHIELD

4 hours ago, Drew said:

Yeah I'll tag on and say this was my favorite origin story in the MCU after GoTG Vol1.   Especially if we're not taking like Iron Man and the originals into account.

I actually can't wait to see more of this one.

It was an extremely competent movie.  And I don't mean that in a snarky way, I actually mean that in a "respect" kind of way.  It was well-edited and the writing was a notch above a lot of MCU movies.  It didn't seem to drag on - the pacing felt right, the effects were solid.  Cast was extremely solid.  I was concerned going in that there were too many characters and would be too many subplots but everything tied together at the end.

My wife was worried that Awkafina was going to be a shitty Melissa McCarthy type based on the trailers, but she had a story arc and wasn't annoying.

Also, we need more Benedict Wong.

Just finished seeing this on deesney minus. Not a fan; had way too much of a fantasy bent for me. Including a world with other worldly beasts, etc. 

i liked awkwafina’s comedic stylings and the martial arts choreography but could care less about the story.

Just finished seeing this on deesney minus. Not a fan; had way too much of a fantasy bent for me. Including a world with other worldly beasts, etc. 

i liked awkwafina’s comedic stylings and the martial arts choreography but could care less about the story.
You clearly don't like fun.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, remoh said:

Opinion Hot Take GIF by What We Do in the Shadows

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

Good action choreography (until, of course, it got to the hyper-CGI shit).  My wife liked the humor from awkwafina.  Nice that Asian kids have a movie/heroes they can identify with.  Some thematic cultural nods like karaoke, escaping roots etc. 

Story was flimsy and haphazard though.  Like... Ben Kingsley is cool and stuff but what the fuck was that all about?  5/10 for another brainless comic movie.

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Like... Ben Kingsley is cool and stuff but what the fuck was that all about? 

Seems like they've been working to tie up loose plot lines from the early movies.  This was a way of wrapping up his story and also a way to make casual fans go "oh, wow, I remember him from like 20 movies ago!"  Also, it's Ben Kingsley.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Seems like they've been working to tie up loose plot lines from the early movies.  This was a way of wrapping up his story and also a way to make casual fans go "oh, wow, I remember him from like 20 movies ago!"  Also, it's Ben Kingsley.

Ah, i didnt remember that he was in iron man 3. Love him and the character is funny, but seemed so out of place. Having to clean up the movie universe as an imperative does a disservice to the movie….but maybe its what the fans want

44 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Ah, i didnt remember that he was in iron man 3. Love him and the character is funny, but seemed so out of place. Having to clean up the movie universe as an imperative does a disservice to the movie….but maybe its what the fans want

You skip the family dinner scene where he explained some guy impersonated him/his org and terrified a bunch of Americans by naming himself after an orange (mandarin)?  

Edited by UT_OB1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

I don't think it's an imperative so much as it's "hey, remember back in Iron Man 1 and 3 when you thought the Ten Rings were a bunch of badasses?  Well, here's the real Ten Rings".  They broke him out of an extremely secure US facility, and kind of wraps up his character arc while showing how powerful the real Ten Ten Rings were.  

Justin Hammer was also in that facility and hopefully he is still in play.

iron-man2-sam-rockwell.gif

On 9/6/2021 at 8:28 AM, freyguy said:

hmm wa?

I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because martial arts is awesome and beats any other sort of fighting that the MCU has ever put out, but there was some serious cheese and formula. I felt like I was watching a Kung Fun Panda but for teens/young adults.

7/10

8 minutes ago, MonkeyCigarette said:

hmm wa?

I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie because martial arts is awesome and beats any other sort of fighting that the MCU has ever put out, but there was some serious cheese and formula. I felt like I was watching a Kung Fun Panda but for teens/young adults.

7/10

Kung Fu Panda is a high bar. 

31 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Which is ironic considering China hasn't allowed Marvel to release it in mainland China.

Oh, dodnt even realize this the last 3 marvel movies didnt get released there. that sucks big time for disney. Though i am sure they’re not hurting for the moneys.

some disney employee’s girlfriend’d cousin’s neighbor must’ve made a pro hong kong post.  The commy party of China are a highly sensitive bunch. 

7 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

You skip the family dinner scene where he explained some guy impersonated him/his org and terrified a bunch of Americans by naming himself after an orange (mandarin)?  

i found that bit completely looney and bizarre, which is saying a lot in a movie with soul-sucking octopus-dragons

Saw it.  Liked it with the boy.  From being a young comic book fanboy back in the day, rings were WAY underpowered in the movie....even from the father who completely knew how to use them.  If you read up in the MCU, they are pretty significant.  Matter rearrangement, control over most natural forces, etc.  

52 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep, why they made the sorcerer supreme a bald white chick, instead of a Tibetan, as always scripted/written.

What has that do with this movie? That casting was done a few movies ago. And the director for that film wanted to avoid racist stereotypes and thats why wong is also the character he is (different in mcu vs comics). 

11 minutes ago, remoh said:

What has that do with this movie? That casting was done a few movies ago. And the director for that film wanted to avoid racist stereotypes and thats why wong is also the character he is (different in mcu vs comics). 

Talking about the earlier movie and decision to write her in over the original character.  

19 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

It was solid but I’ll never consider watching again. The son and Dad were great, everyone else pretty iffy especially the sister. The ten rings power/graphics is awesome though, hope he’s part of next Avengers or whatever happens in future smash up movies

I would imagine he is if he's already involved with Wong in the PCS.