2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I am extremely interested in finding out what Kerwin Roach has done to go from UNC hero All American badass to whipping boy in six weeks. One of the more strange developments of my lifetime following the program. Justin Mason wore down over time, but this is our best, most senior player who came into the season hoping to be an All Conference player and NBA draft pick, and by all accounts he's a good kid who doesn't have a ton of baggage or work ethic issues. For him to go from hero to doghouse so fast is very strange. Particularly since Shaka doesn't really have any history of putting anybody in the doghouse once he's established his place in the team. 

I have admittedly scratched my head over Shaka's player rotations a lot, but Roach has earned some bench / dog-house time this year with his inconsistent focus and attitude and bouts of poor shot selection, poor leadership, moping on the court when even the slightest thing doesn't go his way, and lapses into junior high level court awareness.  That said, when he comes on and is ready to D up and drive the paint, he's a great asset, and I am cool with him taking 3-5 three point shots a game.  He needs to act like a senior and remember his value and strengths.  When he does that, there's no logical excuse for the "setting and example" benching, aside from Shake trying some Readers Digest psychology or wanting to groom his young guys. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, VinyVango said:

I have admittedly scratched my head over Shaka's player rotations a lot, but Roach has earned some bench / dog-house time this year with his inconsistent focus and attitude and bouts of poor shot selection, poor leadership, moping on the court when even the slightest thing doesn't go his way, and lapses into junior high level court awareness.  That said, when he comes on and is ready to D up and drive the paint, he's a great asset, and I am cool with him taking 3-5 three point shots a game.  He needs to act like a senior and remember his value and strengths.  When he does that, there's no logical excuse for the "setting and example" benching, aside from Shake trying some Readers Digest psychology or wanting to groom his young guys. 

my question is this- why roach? and why now? roach isn't the first player he's ever had here who's been guilty of the things you list, but he is the first player here under shaka to not only be benched for these things, but let's be real- Shaka is making a very public example out of roach. this would be like if Mack Brown suddenly started throwing individual players under the bus (those who'd bled for the program no less). it's so out of character, it's a total 180 from his MO to this point. It seems personal.  

perhaps Shaka is feeling some serious heat from CDC. desperation is the only answer i can come up with, because his treatment of roach (whether ostensibly fair or not) is totally out of character for shaka smart. i'm not even saying i disagree that roach has deserved it, ive just never seen shaka behave this way, and for it to happen with an entrenched starter is especially strange.

Edited by Goo Punch

Georgia game in Athens is right around the corner...given that it’s in the middle of our conference schedule we probably don’t want to be there. It will be quite the let down to have to play them given our schedule in the best b-ball conference in the land.

3 minutes ago, gecko said:

Georgia game in Athens is right around the corner...given that it’s in the middle of our conference schedule we probably don’t want to be there. It will be quite the let down to have to play them given our schedule in the best b-ball conference in the land.

Yeah would've been a lot cooler if we'd gotten to play a Kentucky, or Tennessee, even Arkie. Georgia sucks hard at basketball, but at least it's in Athens giving them something of a shot.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:

Yeah would've been a lot cooler if we'd gotten to play a Kentucky, or Tennessee, even Arkie. Georgia sucks hard at basketball, but at least it's in Athens giving them something of a shot.

What’s been disappointing about the big12/sec challenge has been the repetitiveness of opponents. Didn’t we play Vanderbilt in this challenge twice in 3 years?  Haven’t we already played Georgia or was that just a rando ooc game?

3 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

What’s been disappointing about the big12/sec challenge has been the repetitiveness of opponents. Didn’t we play Vanderbilt in this challenge twice in 3 years?  Haven’t we already played Georgia or was that just a rando ooc game?

I think it's based on the rankings of the conferences, so #1 plays #1, 2 plays 2, etc.. Problem is they use rankings from like 2 years ago or something. We almost never get an interesting matchup it seems.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

BPI says we are 75% favorites to win. KenPom has this as a 73-66 win for Texas. In fact KenPom now has us going 11-7 in conference play and sweeping WVU. 

We've had much better win likelihood in several losses this year. We can't take anything for granted with this team. 

28 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

That WVU team played a pretty decent game last night. We just played a little better. That Culver guy for them is a total beast down low.

I thought Culver's success had a lot to do with Texas playing a lot with 4 guards.  Texas has had success against two defensive teams and they have attacked the basket better than all season. It will be interesting to see what happens when a conference team packs the lane to prevent the drive.

Osetkowski had his best game by far. Roach's body language off the ball on offense does not look good, but that was a hell of a tip-in.

59 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

I thought Culver's success had a lot to do with Texas playing a lot with 4 guards.

If we were in a 4-guard lineup that would make it even harder to stop him, but I think it mainly had to do with Culver being a beast of a man. This dude is a 6'10" freshman and he seemed to have pretty good body control out there and an ability to knock down basic shots. That guy is going to tear up the Big12. Although I did notice he seemed to have some bad body languange, like he might be a hothead who's gonna get in foul trouble or other composure issues.

• Fuck You 3

25 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

They don't make it easy to win in Stillwater. In fact, they cheat like motherfuckers up there.

I hear in Lubbock they yell racist slurs at you on the baseline. 

Staying on topic, interesting little run for UT. Have to wonder if SS is coaching for his job at this point. 

I think 11-7 in conference is still a bit of a stretch. .500 would probably be a good result but at that point you'd almost rather the wheels come off to get Shaka out of the building. Not rooting against him, would be fun to see the Horns turn it around and make a sweet16 run for the first time in a decade. Unfortunately this season seems so painfully similar to Shaka's entire tenure already. 

Edited by ztejas

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I hear in Lubbock they yell racist slurs at you on the baseline. 

Staying on topic, interesting little run for UT. Have to wonder if SS is coaching for his job at this point. 

I think 11-7 in conference is still a bit of a stretch. .500 would probably be a good result but at that point you'd almost rather the wheels come off to get Shaka out of the building. Not rooting against him, would be fun to see the Horns turn it around and make a sweet16 run for the first time in a decade. Unfortunately this season seems so painfully similar to Shaka's entire tenure already. 

I'm going for the angle of Texas doing so well in conference and tourney that UCLA hires him away. Win-Win on both counts. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Georgia seems pretty bad as does TCU, but yeah it’s quite possible. 

Georgia is bad. They're like 94 in Kenpom, but TCU is ahead of us by like 4 spots. A lot will depend on TCU's health when we face them, but if they're fully healthy or close to it, they're definitely the better team. The only game in this stretch that we'll be clearly favored is UGA. If we can win that one and even go 2-4 in our next 6 conference games, it'll be a huge success for this team. 

I predicted we would go 7-11 in conference but it could be worse.  The beta is high.  Right now by my estimation we are clearly better than only 2 big 12 teams: OSU and KSU. We lost to OSU but I think everyone saw that they are terrible.  We beat WVU but they did not have their big man when we played them; otherwise we seem like evenly matched teams. KSU might end up being as good as us as they get healthy.  Baylor, not sure what to make of them yet. 

I have season tickets but tore my ACL skiing a few weeks back.  I can get around a little on crutches...but don't think I can get down to my seats at the Erwin Center.  Is it possible to sit in a chair at the top of the lower sections reserved for wheelchairs?  Also, do they provide any assistance in getting from the entrance of the arena to those seats?  I am hoping some of you may have gone thru this in the past...thx.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Georgia is bad. They're like 94 in Kenpom, but TCU is ahead of us by like 4 spots. A lot will depend on TCU's health when we face them, but if they're fully healthy or close to it, they're definitely the better team. The only game in this stretch that we'll be clearly favored is UGA. If we can win that one and even go 2-4 in our next 6 conference games, it'll be a huge success for this team. 

TCU is in a really weird place right now, they have 3 guys transferring out mid-season (Archie, Alok, & McWilliam) and Fisher's knee isn't quite right and he's missing games intermittently. If they were at full strength they could challenge for a top 2-3 spot in the conference but their depth is minimal (they played 7 guys against Kansas) and Fisher's knee isn't going to get better as the season goes on. This seems to be a very up & down year for TCU.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

TCU is in a really weird place right now, they have 3 guys transferring out mid-season (Archie, Alok, & McWilliam) and Fisher's knee isn't quite right and he's missing games intermittently. If they were at full strength they could challenge for a top 2-3 spot in the conference but their depth is minimal (they played 7 guys against Kansas) and Fisher's knee isn't going to get better as the season goes on. This seems to be a very up & down year for TCU.

Damn. Didn't realize it was getting that bad for them. Well, we'll take all the help we can get right now.  Thanks for the info.

Damn wasn't Archie a bigtime 2018 recruit? Like their highest rated recruit in history. That was quick.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I have season tickets but tore my ACL skiing a few weeks back.  I can get around a little on crutches...but don't think I can get down to my seats at the Erwin Center.  Is it possible to sit in a chair at the top of the lower sections reserved for wheelchairs?  Also, do they provide any assistance in getting from the entrance of the arena to those seats?  I am hoping some of you may have gone thru this in the past...thx.

I cannot answer your question; just wanted to wish you a speedy and full recovery!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

i called belmont when i was in this situation and they switched out my tickets for those wheelchair seats they have along the walkways. 

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Damn wasn't Archie a bigtime 2018 recruit? Like their highest rated recruit in history. That was quick.

If memory serves, yes.

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:
yeah, they said that, but then when the team came running out of the tunnel on TV it looked like he was 100% fine. does anyone remember exactly when they announced he would be out? was it the day of the game again, like with Roach?

Could've sworn he had a boot on during the game.

Yeah, i was kinda doing other things when the broadcast started and i saw him jogging out of the tunnel and thought, "hmm, that's weird", but i'd forgotten about it until now. I've since erased the game from my DVR (and my memory) so no luck trying to go back and check. 

Edited by Goo Punch