Anyone done the Camino de Santiago?

NeverMarryAStripper

As I start to enter my twilight years I'm giving more thought to doing the things I've always wanted to do.  Ever since I saw the movie The Way with Martin Sheen I've wanted to do this.  It's really one of the two biggest items on my bucket list. I don't think that I have ever seen any mention of it on the site and I would love to hear of anyone's experiences.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's always been on my list as well, but I don't have any direct information. I have an acquaintance who did part of it, and his wife and daughter did all of it. I just followed on Facebook, but they raved about it. I also have a very good friend who did it virtually. You walk in your neighborhood, or on a treadmill, and then you enter how many miles you walked on a website. It then "walks" you that distance on the trail. I think it uses Google maps or something like that, so you do see the actual trail.  It picks up from where you last stopped, every time. She really enjoyed that. That's all I got, but will be watching this thread. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

who is carmen santiago?

40 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i would love to do this. let's get a group going and plan it out. im 100% not staying in hostels and doubt i have enough time to do the entire trail 

Based on the movies I've seen the hostels are filled with young hot Swedish women that want to fuck you.  I want to do the whole thing and I think part of the experience would be the hostels.

MV5BZGJlOTk0MTYtZGU2OS00MDc4LTg2MGUtYzRjYmNlNjNkOTYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA2MzYwOTg@._V1_.jpg

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Hook 'Em 1

In all seriousness, I have some good resources from people that have done it.  There are several routes.  Here's a couple.

El Camino del Norte:  https://serialnomad.com/hiking-blogs/el-camino-de-santiago-del-norte/

Camino Portuguese: https://trailtopeak.com/category/backpacking/camino-de-santiago/camino-portuguese/

I spent most of the summer of 2006 biking around the Basque region of Spain and France. Apparently there are some who bicycle the Camino, or at least they follow roads that more or less parallel the Camino.

Anyway, there were times when I would stop into a bar, restaurant, or hostel that was along the Camino, and would get asked if I was biking the Camino. Once I realized the correct answer was "Si", I got a lot of free sidra. 

Just remember, if you are in a dive bar in the areas around Bilbao or San Sebastian, you are not in Spain, you are in Euskadi.

Do the northern route. San Sebastian is a wonderful city, go to San Fermin (running of the bulls)(stay in San Sebastian and take an hour bus ride to Pamplona). Bilbao has the Guggenheim and is actually a pretty cool city also.

Oh yeah, the food in that region is fanfuckingtastic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Random thoughts:

On the Camino del Norte now.  Just left Bilboa.  We did the first 3 days of the Frances route to see the Pyrenees (St Jean to Pamplona).  Took a bus from Pamplona to Irun to start the del Norte.  Lots of shorter ups and downs on the coast.  You can't take a bad picture over here.  It's beautiful.   You go through lots of small towns.  From old church to old church.  Unfortunately all the churches have not been open.  Much fewer people on the northern route.   Trail is less well marked as well.  Buen Camino app has been most helpful. Pretty much walk from 6:30 - 1:30 or 2, check in to hotel, eat lunch and go to bed around 8.  We are pushing 60 so recovery is slower.  12-20 miles a day.  We took an extra day in San Sabastian and Bilboa.  We didn't train enough.  I am a life long runner and thought it would be easier than it is.  Legs and feet very tired at the end of each day.  It is like doing a 1/2 marathon every day.  At some point it wears you down. Had to stay in a hostel the first night.  I wanted to smother the snoring MFer in the same room.  Stayed at hotels since.  

Buen Camino!

20230528_213656.jpg

20230529_073317.jpg

20230608_072156.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Los Borracho said:

Random thoughts:

On the Camino del Norte now.  Just left Bilboa.  We did the first 3 days of the Frances route to see the Pyrenees (St Jean to Pamplona).  Took a bus from Pamplona to Irun to start the del Norte.  Lots of shorter ups and downs on the coast.  You can't take a bad picture over here.  It's beautiful.   You go through lots of small towns.  From old church to old church.  Unfortunately all the churches have not been open.  Much fewer people on the northern route.   Trail is less well marked as well.  Buen Camino app has been most helpful. Pretty much walk from 6:30 - 1:30 or 2, check in to hotel, eat lunch and go to bed around 8.  We are pushing 60 so recovery is slower.  12-20 miles a day.  We took an extra day in San Sabastian and Bilboa.  We didn't train enough.  I am a life long runner and thought it would be easier than it is.  Legs and feet very tired at the end of each day.  It is like doing a 1/2 marathon every day.  At some point it wears you down. Had to stay in a hostel the first night.  I wanted to smother the snoring MFer in the same room.  Stayed at hotels since.  

Buen Camino!

20230528_213656.jpg

20230529_073317.jpg

20230608_072156.jpg

Awesome.  12-20 miles is not a small feat.  You using a cork ball (or similar) on your feet at the end of each day?  Loved mine on the PCT.  Blisters were my main issue.

6 hours ago, Los Borracho said:

Random thoughts:

Buen Camino!

20230528_213656.jpg

20230529_073317.jpg

20230608_072156.jpg

I'm going to be starting the Camino Portugal later this month. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Awesome.  12-20 miles is not a small feat.  You using a cork ball (or similar) on your feet at the end of each day?  Loved mine on the PCT.  Blisters were my main issue.

Feet and legs tired at end of each day. One blister on heal - Compeed working well.   Pretty much eat and go to bed.  I think we are getting out of the big ups and downs!  Just miles now.

20230611_064654.jpg

20230611_130200.jpg

20230611_145434.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I think one of the Northern routes is what I would do

Camino de Santiago: the ultimate guide | Travel | The Sunday Times

humans will invent bicycles, motorcycles, cars, trains, and automobiles, and then a bunch of white people will just decide to walk 500 miles instead

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did Camino Ingles from Ferrol in May, 2022 and 4 days of the Camino Frances from St Jean over the Pyrenees to Pamplona with my son 3 weeks ago.  The Pyrenees walk was stunning but the wind was relentless. I will finish the Frances after I retire next April.  So far I’ve just approached it as a physical and mental challenge.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, tomahawk dunk said:

Just started from Lisbon. We’ve been getting up early to avoid the heat.

It’s hot but I’m glad I’m here doing this.

In Santiago now.  It's a strange feeling walking into the Cathedral square.  Take care of your feet and stretch!

Buen Camino!

IMG-0570.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Went through the town of Águeda a few days back. They started this thing called the Umbrella Sky Project over 10 years ago. It was really cool to walk beneath them.

Another thing that I’ve seen is a lot of the people I’ve met hiking have done more than one Camino. I would definitely consider doing another myself.

IMG_9490.jpeg

IMG_9489.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1