Did We Forget That Bijan Can Catch Passes?

Surly Bevo

And that he runs really well in space?  Yea yea yea Whittington had a nice game against ULaLa, but at that game my son and I both commented that Bijan (and to a lesser extent RoJo) seemed to be our best WRs.  I know Rojo took the checkdown for a score tonight but other than that did we even ever throw the ball to Bijan?  

Taking that RB receiving threat we seemed to have in the plan last week completely out of the game seemed like one of many many poor choices.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And that he runs really well in space?  Yea yea yea Whittington had a nice game against ULaLa, but at that game my son and I both commented that Bijan (and to a lesser extent RoJo) seemed to be our best WRs.  I know Rojo took the checkdown for a score tonight but other than that did we even ever throw the ball to Bijan?  

Taking that RB receiving threat we seemed to have in the plan last week completely out of the game seemed like one of many many poor choices.

Was he running the underneath route on third down?  If not, Card doesn’t care. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This gameplan/playcalling bore almost zero resemblance to last week.  Pretty flabbergasting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FriendofaFriend said:

When your best option is right there, seems smart to me

Right, I don't really give a shit how you win, just fucking win.  The kid is a fucking stud, get the ball in his hands over and over.  Card should be getting coached to look for that shit not to read, read, read....scramble sideways, gain/lose a yard.  If I have to have a guy with the ball in his hands at the line of scrimmage with no downfield option I'd much rather it be Robinson than Card....or a QB not named Vince in general.  

19 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Right, I don't really give a shit how you win, just fucking win.  The kid is a fucking stud, get the ball in his hands over and over.  Card should be getting coached to look for that shit not to read, read, read....scramble sideways, gain/lose a yard.  If I have to have a guy with the ball in his hands at the line of scrimmage with no downfield option I'd much rather it be Robinson than Card....or a QB not named Vince in general.  

Yeah, sadly VY ain't walkin' out on that field...and I know it's still early, but I'm not seeing much to make me think either of these boys is the QB of the future for Texas. Y'all refresh my memory. Who we got coming up in that QB room?

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was strange how little misdirection there was.  I only remember one playaction pass, and we had Worthy open deep but Card missed him.  Not many RPOs, zone reads or other option runs, counters, bootlegs, trying to get Bijan outside, etc.   It was pretty much just straightforward handoffs between the tackles and straight drop back passes going through progressions.  

Kind of Shawn Watson-esque.  I’m sure it all looked fine on a chalkboard, but in real life virtually none of it created any conflict or deception for the defense.  What you see is what you get.

That’s what perplexes me. Granted, years of alcohol have ruined my memory retention, but I feel like we’ve really tried to force the running between the tackles in these first two games. That’s fine with a great o-line, but we simply don’t have that. We should be getting the ball to Bijan outside the tackles and let him do his thing in making guys miss. Tonight it was glaringly obvious that we’re not strong enough up front to impose our will and wear them out inside. I assumed the half time adjustment would be to get bijan running outside in space, but alas…

Going to be interesting to see how long Robinson lasts this season if that putrid o-line continues.  Getting a handoff and almost instantly being met by one (or two) defenders and having to immediately cut to try and avoid them is a sure-fire recipe for an injury, at some point.  Just a matter of time if Robinson keeps getting buried in the backfield. 

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This gameplan/playcalling bore almost zero resemblance to last week.  Pretty flabbergasting.

I don't know that it was much different.  IMO, last week the running plays worked just well enough to keep the D off balance a bit.  this week they didn't work for shit.

Card also had to look at the rush more this week.

Card is not ready and he's not athletic enough to bail out/hero ball for the shitty OL.

8 hours ago, Stinkpalm said:

That’s what perplexes me. Granted, years of alcohol have ruined my memory retention, but I feel like we’ve really tried to force the running between the tackles in these first two games. That’s fine with a great o-line, but we simply don’t have that. We should be getting the ball to Bijan outside the tackles and let him do his thing in making guys miss. Tonight it was glaringly obvious that we’re not strong enough up front to impose our will and wear them out inside. I assumed the half time adjustment would be to get bijan running outside in space, but alas…

welcome to running the Alabama O with 3 stars.

11 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah, sadly VY ain't walkin' out on that field...and I know it's still early, but I'm not seeing much to make me think either of these boys is the QB of the future for Texas. Y'all refresh my memory. Who we got coming up in that QB room?

Arch Manning

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, VaLonghorn99 said:

We forgot QBs are allowed to pass especially when behind by two scores. Forward passes are legal.

Our QB A) had no time to pass, B) was widely inaccurate and C) had to wait for WRs that never could get free from defenders because they can’t run good routes (most likely, at least that’s been a story of recent years for most of these players that were recruited without that skill).