Vince Young Perpetual Appreciation Thread

Mole

Remember when leading up to the 2005 BCS Championship game, ESPN ran a mini series about hypothetically pitting USC up against every national champion in history, including 1969 Texas, and concluded they'd smoke every one of them in blow outs and literally crowned USC the greatest team of all time? That entire shit was the inspiration for Rocky Balboa, the movie, which has ESPN simulating hypothetical boxing matches between the current champ and every previous champion in history, only for Balboa to win.

Fuck I love VY for destroying USC's mystique.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wood said:

I00005xCLO14dPrc.jpg

I love the VY quote before the game when he and lienart were being interviewed when he says "USC don't know how gangsta we are at Texas" and Leinart gets that same pissy stank look on his face. You can tell he never fucking saw it coming.

EDIT: LMAO a thread on some random forum from 2005 about that very quote: https://castefootball.us/threads/we-gangsta.2155/

Nobody there apparently believed in VY lol

edit again: more quotes from VY in the same interview --

"Q: USC is going to have a lot of celebs at the game like Snoop Dogg. Who are you guys going to have on your sideline to compete with that?

A: We'll have (Justin) Blalock, Kasey (Studdard), Rod Wright (and) Aaron Harris. That's the guys. Snoop Dogg and all of those guys are great, but if you get to know the guys that I know, they are a little better than those guys."

What a badass answer

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 7

I am so thankful that I was of an age when VY came through that I could appreciate his greatness in that moment.  As the Horns continue to wander in the desert (minus the Colt years) his greatness is even more apparent.  Every play was a "must see" as the potential to do something spectacular was ever present.  He elevated the whole team.

14 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

I am so thankful that I was of an age when VY came through that I could appreciate his greatness in that moment.  As the Horns continue to wander in the desert (minus the Colt years) his greatness is even more apparent.  Every play was a "must see" as the potential to do something spectacular was ever present.  He elevated the whole team.

One thing about VY (and Colt) that stands out is how they were great from the very beginning. VY's college debut was awesome:

And Colt had an incredible debut too, his second play was a 65 yard TD pass.

My hope is that when Arch eventually gets into a game, whenever it may be, he brings that instant-offense swagger that VY and Colt did.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yep. I went to more games throughout that period than any other, because while I loved winning, the anticipation & wondering what amazing, unprecedented shit VY was gonna do was even stronger. 

2 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

One thing about VY (and Colt) that stands out is how they were great from the very beginning. VY's college debut was awesome:

And Colt had an incredible debut too, his second play was a 65 yard TD pass.

My hope is that when Arch eventually gets into a game, whenever it may be, he brings that instant-offense swagger that VY and Colt did.

"Instant offense", "Jackhammer feet", "Forever Young". 

He knew. We all knew. Well, at least most if us did. I remember some jackasses complaining about his throwing motion and lobbying for him to be moved to WR or TE. Can you imagine? 

It's funny, I rarely remember much about those early season scrub opponent games, or even who we played, but I remember that one like it was yesterday. Yeah, it was NMSU, but it was obvious what was coming. VY til I die.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wood said:

Yep. I went to more games throughout that period than any other, because while I loved winning, the anticipation & wondering what amazing, unprecedented shit VY was gonna do was even stronger. 

"Instant offense", "Jackhammer feet", "Forever Young". 

He knew. We all knew. Well, at least most if us did. I remember some jackasses complaining about his throwing motion and lobbying for him to be moved to WR or TE. Can you imagine? 

It's funny, I rarely remember much about those early season scrub opponent games, or even who we played, but I remember that one like it was yesterday. Yeah, it was NMSU, but it was obvious what was coming. VY til I die.

Yep, the comparison to Brad Smith (who even remembers him now?).  Mock hiding behind that smile because he knew that his days were numbered.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, mininghorn88 said:

Yep, the comparison to Brad Smith (who even remembers him now?).  Mock hiding behind that smile because he knew that his days were numbered.

Yeah that's exactly what I saw too. Just like the rest of us ... he knew.

15 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

I always love the story about VY vs OU in 2005 when they noticed OU was spying on their huddle and someone told him "They know our play" and VY responded "So?" and scored on the very same play.

might be the same story, or another from the 05 year, but I feel like I remember the huddle breaking and Studdard telling the D Lineman right in front of him, "this is going right at you" and we proceeded to score from like 5 yards out or something like that lol. 

15 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

Chance Mock still had one more badass moment in him. His final senior home game vs Tech, they pulled VY in the 4th quarter and gave Chance Mock a chance to win the game, and he came through:

His game winning drive starts at 2 hours 33 mins in.

Guy left UT a winner. Watching him get emotional after his game winning drive on the field is awesome. Hook em for that.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Nobody there apparently believed in VY lol

Not only did they not believe in him- A lot of them didn’t even know who he was…at least not in the k section I sat.

I’ve told this story before ~ The CEO of the Brand for which I worked in ‘05 was a USC Booster as both of his kids were graduates.  Anyway, he gifted my Wife and me two of his four tickets, so naturally we’re on the SC side, in the Booster section.

I can’t tell you how many times the SC “fans” in around us audibly yelled/asked, “Who is #10??!!” “Why can’t they stop him??!!”   I kid you not. It was bizarre.
I’m sure most of us here can relate to being at a sporting event or a concert to which you got hooked up with suite (and sweet) tickets, where you encountered that one person who showed up, just because it was “an event”.  Imagine being at the National Championship and sitting in a section full of those types. That’s how it was.  And it was glorious.🤘🏻

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2023 at 5:17 PM, FartingMonk said:

The best plat Vince made was that Okie St game where we were getting our asses dominated.  He pump fakes the defender making him jump and takes it 50 yards to the house 

Texas wasn’t getting dominated. Every damned bounce, roll, and break went for Oklahoma State in the first half, true, but that’s not the same thing. 

That pump fake happened right in front of a block of Texas fans and it was like “game over.”

I am 100% serious when I tell that Oklahoma State fans on the other side of the field started leaving after that play. 

Now, 2004 was a first half domination by Oklahoma State. Until Texas reeled off 49 points before the Cowboys got another first down. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Texas wasn’t getting dominated. Every damned bounce, roll, and break went for Oklahoma State in the first half, true, but that’s not the same thing. 

That pump fake happened right in front of a block of Texas fans and it was like “game over.”

I am 100% serious when I tell that Oklahoma State fans on the other side of the field started leaving after that play. 

Now, 2004 was a first half domination by Oklahoma State. Until Texas reeled off 49 points before the Cowboys got another first down. 

I was watchingn that game in the fire station with the crew. One aggy guy was talking shit with Okie State up 35-7. I said Texas was still gonna win. Watch what VY does, etc. I bet him $20 on Texas down 28. He jumped all over that like it was free money. Best $20 I ever made. Not even close

1 hour ago, Davis Lane said:

Judging by Quinn's reaction I'm gonna go way out a limb here and say that moment with VY is going to resonate in that young man's life for at least the rest of the season.

And maybe for the rest of his life.

Quinn's a decent-sized guy. VY just dwarfs him there lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wood said:

I was watchingn that game in the fire station with the crew. One aggy guy was talking shit with Okie State up 35-7. I said Texas was still gonna win. Watch what VY does, etc. I bet him $20 on Texas down 28. He jumped all over that like it was free money. Best $20 I ever made. Not even close

I was there. At halftime we were just talking about how many points Texas could give up before there wouldn’t be enough time for VY to beat their asses, because we knew VY was going to beat their asses. When you can be down 35-7 and know Texas is going to win… it was nice.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I was there. At halftime we were just talking about how many points Texas could give up before there wouldn’t be enough time for VY to beat their asses, because we knew VY was going to beat their asses. When you can be down 35-7 and know Texas is going to win… it was nice.  

Yep.  Was at the game in the student section.  We were just all scratching our heads at how nuts it was everything was going Okie Lite's way.  But absolutely none of us were panicked/worried that we were going to lose.  We all knew Vince and the crew could put up points.  Sure enough, they did.

One of my favorite memories of the VY years, besides getting to see both Rose Bowls in person, was the home game against Tech.  My father is a Tech alum, desperately wanted me to go be a Red Raider, etc.  He'd never been to a football game since his college days.  So I invited him down for that game.  Figured the Pirate always brings the heat against us and it ought to be a good game.  Turned into a back alley mugging and I just kept apologizing saying how I thought it would be closer and whatnot.  Dad wasn't even upset.  He just couldn't get over how nuts that #10 was at QB.  Said he'd never seen anyone play like him in his life and that I should go ahead and make sure I could get tickets for a return trip to Pasadena.  

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, SpiralOut said:

Yep.  Was at the game in the student section.  We were just all scratching our heads at how nuts it was everything was going Okie Lite's way.  But absolutely none of us were panicked/worried that we were going to lose.  We all knew Vince and the crew could put up points.  Sure enough, they did.

One of my favorite memories of the VY years, besides getting to see both Rose Bowls in person, was the home game against Tech.  My father is a Tech alum, desperately wanted me to go be a Red Raider, etc.  He'd never been to a football game since his college days.  So I invited him down for that game.  Figured the Pirate always brings the heat against us and it ought to be a good game.  Turned into a back alley mugging and I just kept apologizing saying how I thought it would be closer and whatnot.  Dad wasn't even upset.  He just couldn't get over how nuts that #10 was at QB.  Said he'd never seen anyone play like him in his life and that I should go ahead and make sure I could get tickets for a return trip to Pasadena.  

I remember all the “you can’t spell upset without ut” signs the tech people were carrying. They didn’t appreciate that I said you can’t spell “blowout” without UT, either. 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:57 PM, MissingInAction said:

He looked like a kid seeing Santa at the mall.

Welp. That was me earlier tonight. I finally got to meet VY. Now, I've been lucky to have met way more than my fair share of celebs and pro athletes, and even some other greats besides VY. Until tonight, I was never so awestruck that I couldn't hold an intelligent conversation with them. Meeting VY though, I was so excited that I couldn't think of a single remotely intelligent thing to say. 

They say you should never meet your heroes, because they'll only disappoint you. That was definitely not the case with VY. He was more than gracious, trying to talk up every single person there to see him. Very engaging and gracious at an event where it's all too common for some to be complete pricks. Wish I could have held an intelligent conversation with him, however brief.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, Doc Daneeka said:

I remember all the “you can’t spell upset without ut” signs the tech people were carrying. They didn’t appreciate that I said you can’t spell “blowout” without UT, either. 

... and never forget, you can't spell 'cocksucker' without ou.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1