College Football Attendance

Horn Under a Bad Sign

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Only reason I reuse them is because the liquor I want doesn't come in tiny bottles. Only the most popular generic brands. There's no Diplomatico reserva, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or Lagavulin 8/16 sold in small bottles

It’s important to use only the finest whiskeys to pour into your plastic cup to mix with syrupy coke to sip in the 100 degree sauna with 100,000 of your other high class friends

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

It’s important to use only the finest whiskeys to pour into your plastic cup to mix with syrupy coke to sip in the 100 degree sauna with 100,000 of your other high class friends

No shit....just fucking use Makers or Bulleit.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bernard said:

Don’t kid yourself. The BS at DKR-TMS has surpassed the NFL already. Jacksonville @ Texans last weekend was a FAR SUPERIOR game day experience than ULA-LA or Rice @ Texas.

Bernard

I won't kid myself if on that if you won't kid yourself about the fact that the NFL is a steaming pile of shit in every way possible.

Deal?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bernard said:

Don’t kid yourself. The BS at DKR-TMS has surpassed the NFL already. Jacksonville @ Texans last weekend was a FAR SUPERIOR game day experience than ULA-LA or Rice @ Texas.

Bernard

Considering NFL stadiums are full of "NFL Fans" - I can't fathom how it could possibly be a better game day experience.

• Like 1

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how spurious it may be, but the NFL does in fact suck shit
I don't give a shit about the atmosphere in the stands as I don't attend. But the NFL's product is light years ahead of college in pretty much every aspect. Especially pace of play.

29 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how spurious it may be, but the NFL does in fact suck shit

Remind me how bad it is when the SEC Cupcake schedule in November gets going. bama vs NM State.  Can't fucking wait, right?

College football has its own set of warts for sure.  There are things to enjoy about football on almost any level.

Edited by slorch

I heard on ESPNU radio today that numbers were up. Now, that’s viewing of course.

As for the debate of watching at home on your flat screen vs in person, yep it is a beating with all the logistics from home to seat in the stadium. But once you get there it is worth it. Hated the drive, parking, and of course the outcome of piggy game but kickoff in the stadium in person made me smile.

Clusterfuck logistics forthcoming at the state fair for me in a few weeks again.

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Red Zone is a fucking great way to spend a Sunday. I don’t know how anyone could say otherwise. 

Indeed it is.  But spending a day at the stadium surrounded by "NFL Fan" is miserable.   I haven't been in 5 years or so but it's like every idiot that attends blows a months paycheck with the goal to be blackout drunk by Noon kickoff.  It was tolerable in a corporate suite and somewhat in club level except for the fact you had to ingress/egress through the tailgates.  Pretty sure one of the last games I attended there was a shooting at some tailgate post game.  Couple all that with insane prices for parking + club level + beer/booze and I'm out on the NFL absent free tix and only then if it's really good seats.

On 9/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

On Texags they are talking about how empty the stadium was against New Mexico.  They had an announced attendance of 84,748.  Kyle Field holds more than 100k. 

Ohio State vs. Tulsa had an announced attendance of 76,540 vs. Tulsa.  That's shocking. In 2019 they averaged more than 100k.  One Buckeye fan on Twitter said "Take away tailgating at St.John’s, take away Hiney Gate, take away alumni ticket games, raise ticket prices to ridiculous levels. I have been going to games since the 80’s. Today’s atmosphere doesn’t resemble even 10 years ago. OSU’s greed is ruining the experience."

I saw big swaths of empty seats in nearly every game I watched yesterday and expect that any week now we'll see articles about how, again, CFB attendance is declining.

Do you guys think it's the pandemic or is it something more structural?

I'm glad that UT seems to be embracing the idea of making the whole gameday experience more fun. Bevo Blvd. is getting better and better. I heard Salt and Pepa were great. 

Maybe UT needs to bring back knothole seats. 

It's structural.  There were articles about this 10 years ago.

12 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I’ve only been to Saints games since the Oilers moved and they were awesome. I understand NOLA is the exception though. I have a free ticket to a Broncos game next month and kinda want to go just to check it out. I’ll have no rooting interest though. 

A Saints game is probably the only NFL venue I really want to see in person.  One of these days will do a fall weekend in NOLA where they have a Sunday night home game.  I'm sure the atmosphere in the French Quarter pregame is amazing.

Edited by Skipper

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

A Saints game is probably the only NFL venue I really want to see in person.  One of these days will do a fall weekend in NOLA where they have a Sunday night home game.  I'm sure the atmosphere in the French Quarter pregame is amazing.

Yeah, it’s a great time. My first game was the MNF game against the Pats in the super bowl year. I still haven’t heard a louder stadium than that night.