College Football Attendance

Horn Under a Bad Sign

Although, this thread has given me the idea of throwback games to go with throwback uniforms.

Pick your shitty non-con opponent for this one and turn down TV. Jumbotron is turned into a scoreboard with score, time, down, possession, and TO left. One stadium announcer on the PA. Music, only the band. Concessions— hot dogs, sausages and nachos and shit. No tv timeouts, I guess the refs get replay but not the fans because of NCAA rules. No ribbon boards or hype or instructions on when to “make some noise.” No fireworks and shit, just the fight song and alma mater. 

That would be cool as hell. I bet most season ticket holders would demand more of them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Sitting through a football game is a beating in person.

This is the talk of old people.

And I get it. I still had to endure TV time outs, scorching heat, rain, parking, shitty DJ’ing, Bob Cole, etc., when I was in my 20s and 30s. But it just seemed easier then. Now I’m in my mid-40s, it’s harder. 

I think it’s a combination of age and mediocre teams for the past several years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1. HDTV

2. Number of games televised

3. ever increasing prices despite 1 and 2

4. Focus on luxury boxes as opposed to regular seats

5. milliniels/generation Z and cell phones 

6. ongoing pandemic 

7. Texas specific - we’ve sucked for a decade. 

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1

If I could attend a live game for the same amount of money as I spend sitting on my couch  or at a bar I'd probably attend more games at DKR. But we all know thats not the case, not even close . Once you factor in the cost of a decent ticket, food/booze, parking or ride share, and then mix in an absolute dogshit home schedule and the value just isnt there. a few hundred bucks or more to deal with the heat, covid, and morons in general...against rice? uh no. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If I could attend a live game for the same amount of money as I spend sitting on my couch  or at a bar I'd probably attend more games at DKR. But we all know thats not the case, not even close . Once you factor in the cost of a decent ticket, food/booze, parking or ride share, and then mix in an absolute dogshit home schedule and the value just isnt there. a few hundred bucks or more to deal with the heat, covid, and morons in general...against rice? uh no. 

If I could fuck Scar Jo for the same effort as a drunk fat chick I would.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also, let me add this.  I think these college programs are being very short sighted with the price gouging regarding tickets.  Anyone over 40 remember going to a game with their dad/family and being emotionally attached to that team after that.  You're a lifelong fan.  Now, with the cost of games, it's hard to take your family of 4 or 5 people if you're middle class.  These programs are sacrificing long term fandom at the expense of short term ticket sales.  Get more people in the stadium, sell more concessions while you're at it, and build a fan base.

They get enough TV money as it is.  They need to stop gouging Joe Fan.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, let me add this.  I think these college programs are being very short sighted with the price gouging regarding tickets.  Anyone over 40 remember going to a game with their dad/family and being emotionally attached to that team after that.  You're a lifelong fan.  Now, with the cost of games, it's hard to take your family of 4 or 5 people if you're middle class.  These programs are sacrificing long term fandom at the expense of short term ticket sales.  Get more people in the stadium, sell more concessions while you're at it, and build a fan base.

This. I remember my middle school coach, Ox Emerson, taking the whole team to UT games on a teacher's salary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

It's all about TV money - also not gonna lie...half the reason I was watching Pedo St vs Aub was because that crowd was fucking rocking.  I guarantee millions tune in to OU/Texas to watch the crowd and atmosphere surrounding the game...as much as the game itself.  Lots of casual fans with the TV on these days.  Pack the stadium with the rabid fans and fuck the blue hair money.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not to get all CR here, but ‘America’ stopped being affordable to the ‘middle class’ a long time ago.

Sports are just a reflection of that. 

And much like a lot of things today, people can only afford to sit back and watch (social media, reality tv, etc) than to participate.

kirk douglas wood GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

College football games are a beat down. They last nearly four hours and include way too many stoppages of play. Why put up with that and the expense of overpriced seats and concessions when you can watch multiple games on a 4K big screen in the comfort of your own house (or dorm room, fraternity house, etc.)?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

College football games are a beat down. They last nearly four hours and include way too many stoppages of play. Why put up with that and the expense of overpriced seats and concessions when you can watch multiple games on a 4K big screen in the comfort of your own house (or dorm room, fraternity house, etc.)?

I've loved getting into FCS ball since taking my gig with U of Montana. Not nearly as many long stoppages that totally derail you from the flow of the game.

48 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Only one of my sons is a hard core longhorn. Guess why?  

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Yep…. This is why MLB has lost market share.   Used to be an affordable option for an afternoon out for the whole family, even with some decent seats.   Now a days good luck with that. 

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep…. This is why MLB has lost market share.   Used to be an affordable option for an afternoon out for the whole family, even with some decent seats.   Now a days good luck with that. 

Pro sports, too.  I was in Denver a few years back on some corporate circle jerk and we went to a Rockies game.  $75 a ticket and we were in right field.  Throw in concessions and parking and you're easily dropping $400 for a family just to sit in right fucking field.

God only knows what NFL tickets cost.  I haven't been to one of those games in decades and don't plan on going to one any time soon.

10 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Pro sports, too.  I was in Denver a few years back on some corporate circle jerk and we went to a Rockies game.  $75 a ticket and we were in right field.  Throw in concessions and parking and you're easily dropping $400 for a family just to sit in right fucking field.

God only knows what NFL tickets cost.  I haven't been to one of those games in decades and don't plan on going to one any time soon.

I haven’t been to an NFL game for a few years.   I did go up to Jerryworld a few years ago for a college game and the concessions were out of this world expensive.    $12 for a fricken Hot Dog.   $20 for parking….   $6 for Bottle water.    Yea I would guess for an NFL game in the nose bleeds you are looking for a $1000 bill for a family of four.  If you are traveling overnight which many people do when they go see the Cowboys, easily a $1500 weekend.  

7 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

With young kids at home that can’t get vaccinated, I’m not about to go to anything with a big crowd.......especially in a covid hot spot state.  I was kind of horrified looking at the Florida crowd on TV yesterday.

I’m surprised by the middle finger reactions to this post (clearly I’m naive - I’m sure this comment will draw similar negatives). With a COVID death toll of 660K+ in the last 18 months, it is surprising to me to see the stadiums as packed as they have been.  

The games may or may not drive spikes, but I would expect that by the end of the season a bunch of college football fans (more than 1K?) will have contracted a fatal case of the virus from game attendance.  Even if I’m wrong, I’m sure that others have taken a similar cautious position.  I might take on extra risk in my life to see a Texas/OU game in person, but not to see us play an exposition game against Rice or Kansas.  

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Sorry to break this to you, but you got fucking robbed.  I've been to a bunch of Rockies games, and always get infield box seats or club seats, and have never paid more than $50.  

The games are too long. I enjoy the gameday experience of a 2-hour MLS game more than football these days.

Yep. Should do 30 minute quarters with no clock stoppage except for timeouts. Be done in 2 1/2 hours. I may allow the current clock stoppage rules in the final 2 minutes of each half. That would still keep the games under 3 hours.

You would need some new injury rule. Something with consequences like it results in a burned timeout. Out of timeouts then it’s a 15 yard penalty and the injured player must leave the field for the rest of the possession.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Wow - what a great story he had. And he as born pretty close to SFA - I had a friend who bought a place in Douglass instead of staying in a Nac apartment cause it was dirt cheap.

I lived on Douglass Road!

and the problem with concessions besides the stupid high prices is the fucking wait time

you can drop $100 dollars on concession food to miss 25% of the game standing in fucking line

• Like 1