Bruno Lozano, Democratic Mayor of Del Rio

PenelopeWitherspoon

He is a very interesting and, IMO, compelling figure.  He is young and seems to be someone that the Texas democratic party should start to groom for something greater.  He ticks a lot of boxes and also challenges others.  

I would be interesting to get the thoughts of the people on this board who are MUCH more political than I am.

28 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yes, I know he is gay.  I am watching We Are Here.  I think he is outstanding.  He won 62% of the vote.  His opponent absolutely dragged his sexuality in the limelight.

i could give a soft shit about his orientation…hell that’s nonstarter.   as is his being a flight attendant.  

what i do think matters is that he wears high heels.   

he’s a go getter who gets shit done for sure, but fuck Penelope…that’s a non-starter in Texas.   

1 minute ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i could give a soft shit about his orientation…hell that’s nonstarter.   as is his being a flight attendant.  

he’s a go getter who gets shit done for sure, but fuck Penelope…that’s a non-starter in Texas.   

Non starter except he already got elected in Del Rio. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

High-heels build character.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

High-heels build character.  

No shit.

High heels wouldn’t exist if men were “required” to wear them.

Respect to any dude that wants to take on that.

Back in my drug rep days, I’d run around all over creation in 3 inch stilettos - even while pregnant.

Now I have balance issues because of my essential tremor and can only do wedges. I love the way my legs look in heels but I’d rather not bust my ass or fall down the stairs at work so my stilettos days are over.

Getting older sucks.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Being a Democratic politician running for any statewide office is a non-starter in Texas. Derka would have as much chance at winning as the reanimated corpse of Lloyd Bentsen.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

No shit.

High heels wouldn’t exist if men were “required” to wear them.

Respect to any dude that wants to take on that.

Back in my drug rep days, I’d run around all over creation in 3 inch stilettos - even while pregnant.

Now I have balance issues because of my essential tremor and can only do wedges. I love the way my legs look in heels but I’d rather not bust my ass or fall down the stairs at work so my stilettos days are over.

Getting older sucks.

Men wore heels in the French Court of Louis XIV.  I am not sure when it all fell out of fashion, but it did.  

Heels make legs and ass look fab.  But yeah, they can fuck your feet and calves up for sure (my calves have serious issues from wearing heels).  

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Men wore heels in the French Court of Louis XIV.  I am not sure when it all fell out of fashion, but it did.  

Heels make legs and ass look fab.  But yeah, they can fuck your feet and calves up for sure (my calves have serious issues from wearing heels).  

Wow, Bruno, let your freak flag fly.  But heels does seem a bit  . . .  flamboyant  . . . .

In high school, guys wore boots, generally real boots, not ropers, with fairly substantial heels.  Especially during the school year and winter months.  And when spring sports started, everyone's foreshortened calves were in some form of agony.  And everyone had a bald patch on their gastrocnemius.

14 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

The only way to get over that is to run gay candidates regardless of if you think they will win, as long as you think they are right for the job. Eventually enough run/get into the running to where people are desensitized to it and it stops being an issue.

By not running good candidates because they are gay and you think Texas won't vote for them, you play right into the hands of the evil motherfuckers currently running this shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Wow, Bruno, let your freak flag fly.  But heels does seem a bit  . . .  flamboyant  . . . .

So  . . . considering this comment.  Too heteronormative?  I analogize it to Kyrsten Sinema in terms of maybe being a little too "self-expressive" for a serious public figure?

I realize I view things through a middle aged white hetero male lens a bit too often, but some things just seem a bit beyond the pale.  This is far from the only example.

Mayor Bruno "Ralphy" Lozano of Del Rio wore bedazzled, flag-high heels in his city's last Veteran's Day parade. Being the youngest mayor elected in the history of his town, Lozano has previously worked as a flight attendant, served in the armed forces, and is gay.

This year, a total of 52 LGBTQ candidates ran for the office in Texas, and the colorful Lozano was one of them, reports Huffington Post.

“I just advocated this is who I am,” says Lozano. “I didn’t use the LGBT flag in my campaign. I don’t have that kind of community. We don’t have a gayborhood. A part of me is gay. A part of me is a human being who cares for the community.”

Now this is "fearless on every front." I'm in. A veteran in heels during a parade? Cojones grandes. 

This isn't the first time in memory men wore elevated shoes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had about an inch and a half heel on some groovy white shoes back in the day. I looked like shit, but I was taller!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

Now this is "fearless on every front." I'm in. A veteran in heels during a parade? Cojones grandes. 

This isn't the first time in memory men wore elevated shoes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had about an inch and a half heel on some groovy white shoes back in the day. I looked like shit, but I was taller!

I think people like Bruno are the people the Texas Democratic Party should be looking to groom. He is passionate about his community. He seems to be someone a lot of the RGV could get behind.  I like him.  

Seriously, you guys should watch We Are Here.  He comes off amazingly well in that.  

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

The only way to get over that is to run gay candidates regardless of if you think they will win, as long as you think they are right for the job. Eventually enough run/get into the running to where people are desensitized to it and it stops being an issue.

This is a terrible strategy. The gays will be locked up in conversion therapy by the Republicans before a candidate like Lozano ever gets elected. In case you haven't noticed civil liberties in Texas are quickly evaporating. A good candidate is any candidate that is likely to unseat a Republican in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is a terrible strategy. The gays will be locked up in conversion therapy by the Republicans before a candidate like Lozano ever gets elected. In case you haven't noticed civil liberties in Texas are quickly evaporating. A good candidate is any candidate that is likely to unseat a Republican in Texas.

I agree, but brave of you to say. Strong "white cishet male savior" vibes in your post, tbh.

19 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Beto once wore a dress.  He lost to Ted Fucking Cruz.