Went to the LT vs Akins HS FB Game today

immamac

10 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Still got an extra ticket? Been dying to go to a Westlake-Lake Travis game. Last one I was at, I was on the sidelines watching fuckface mayfield pick us apart after knocking out their starting qb on like the 2nd play of the game in 2011

So you were the bad luck guy that caused that!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Still got an extra ticket? Been dying to go to a Westlake-Lake Travis game. Last one I was at, I was on the sidelines watching fuckface mayfield pick us apart after knocking out their starting qb on like the 2nd play of the game in 2011

If my wife and Immamac decide not to go it's yours

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

When you get right down to it, high school sports is generally useless in the grand scheme of life, education, and health, so who can blame anyone for not getting too wrapped up in it.  

I say this the dad of a couple of high school kids who has seen some petty shit from other teams and other team's parents.  

That’s completely uninformed. Playing a sport in high school can truly help you get into a great university, as it helps separate you during admissions. Schools like to see people with skills on their resume beyond locking themselves in bedrooms and studying for 10 hours every day. Playing a sport or participating in other extra curricular activities like band or theatre signals that you can work in a group of people at something and probably have social skills. At my daughter’s school, Duke, it seems everyone we’ve met played a sport in HS. Bonus points if you were a captain.  

They lied.  It was herpes.  Trust me on this.  

Edit:  WL should win, but I don't see any 55-7 or 70-3 or whatever bullshit. I give it maybe 14 max.  But if they do, well, yeah, I know how that feels, doing it to WL a few times in that 10 game no-lubing streak. 

Ha. Ok first round exit. You giving me Westlake -14?

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, kicking Westlake's ass 10 years in a row did get tiring.  WL should win Friday but enjoy it, you'll lose Dodge and it'll show.   Meanwhile, good luck getting to .400 in the "rivalry" this week.

At least someone is sticking up for LT. I have no problem w your trash talk as it shows what a great rivalry the schools have. I am as big a Westlake homer as you can be but I don’t think we are going to win going away. LT/Westlake in ANY sport is always gonna be tough. Most of my clients are LT and we have fun messing with each other but we respect how the schools compete. In my opinion, it‘s way better than college sports, especially the shite we witnessed today. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

That’s completely uninformed. Playing a sport in high school can truly help you get into a great university, as it helps separate you during admissions. Schools like to see people with skills on their resume beyond locking themselves in bedrooms and studying for 10 hours every day. Playing a sport or participating in other extra curricular activities like band or theatre signals that you can work in a group of people at something and probably have social skills. At my daughter’s school, Duke, it seems everyone we’ve met played a sport in HS. Bonus points if you were a captain.  

Congrats on your daughter attending Duke. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Indeed. Anyone that thinks the opposite is misinformed. Scores and grades get you in the door theeee days. That’s it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Indeed. Anyone that thinks the opposite is misinformed. Scores and grades get you in the door theeee days. That’s it.

Not true at all. Yes, being a hard-working student is the price-of-entry, but having a sports story can be a great help. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

In regards to LT "ducking" Westlake last year, that story is patently false. However, the truth may actually more surprising. The version I heard from my Lakeway brethren is that the dads were incredibly angry about games getting canceled and the shocking, first round exit. However, they may have had no one to blame but themselves, as the conservative, anti-social distancing crowd (they are strong out there-think boat parade) most assuredly helped spread the virus and shut down the program during crucial stretches of the season. Mix that up with QB injuries and whammo,  Round Rock pulled a huge upset. Give RR credit, though, as they ran multiple trick plays that resulted in scores. Perhaps @Longhorn94 and @phdhorn can provide more insights. 

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TreatyOak said:

In regards to LT "ducking" Westlake last year, that story is patently false. However, the truth may actually more surprising. The version I heard from my Lakeway brethren is that the dads were incredibly angry about games getting canceled and the shocking, first round exit. However, they may have had no one to blame but themselves, as the conservative, anti-social distancing crowd (they are strong out there-think boat parade) most assuredly helped spread the virus and shut down the program during crucial stretches of the season. Mix that up with QB injuries and whammo,  Round Rock pulled a huge upset. Give RR credit, though, as they ran multiple trick plays that resulted in scores. Perhaps @Longhorn94 and @phdhorn can provide more insights. 

You and your facts. Fuck off with that shit. They pussed out

@immamac made a decision yet? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2021 at 12:51 AM, ousux said:

High school ball overall isnt what it used to be. Skill players are probably better than back in my day (particularly QB and WR) but everywhere else I've seen a drop off of toughness and killer instinct..particulary line (both O and D) and defense in general. Back when I was playing we hated the guys in the wrong uniform and wanted to dominate and humiliate on every play.

Maybe it's coaching, maybe it's rule changes that no longer allow "form tackles" and setting the tone in the defensive backfield with big hits early on, maybe it's kids are bigger, stronger and faster on average...but don't love playing the game like previous generations? Idk, but the overall quality of the game at all levels seems to have slipped a bit in the past decade or so. There are still some phenomenal athletes, some that can carry a sub par team quite a long way...but I'm not really seeing as many truly dominant teams these days.

As a former h.s. coach for 30 years at some very good FB programs in Oklahoma and Texas, I think ousux is very accurate on his assessment of the decline of h.s. football over the past 10 years.

Sure, the very elite teams and players are just as good as ever, but only at the QB and receiver positions..the offensive line play on 90 percent of h.s. teams today is absolutely pathetic...they are poorly coached, overweight, and give poor effort.

The elite players are as good as ever, but the average to good h.s. players level of play has declined a great deal due to many factors.

• Hook 'Em 1

We just ran out of time...
(proally worst LT loss since they were a sleepy little 3A school)

Congrats.. and that said, enjoy your last win for a year or two after Todd walks into the sunset. 
A few more wins for you and we might actually have a rivalry :).

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

We just ran out of time...
(proally worst LT loss since they were a sleepy little 3A school)

Congrats.. and that said, enjoy your last win for a year or two after Todd walks into the sunset. 
A few more wins for you and we might actually have a rivalry :).

I love good trash talk so well said. We will still have portions of our monster offensive line next year, but guessing we get a huge drop off at QB. I haven’t been impressed w the projected next year starter.

Thoughts from the game: Our little midget RB is a tough little player. He continues to exceed my expectations. I really liked your team when the backup QB came in. The starting QB has the size and a good arm but he doesn’t feel as good as previous ones. Your skill players are really good. Lots of speed. I’ve never seen a Lake Travis team get pushed around like that. The talent gap should continue to grow in favor of LT with more and more sports families moving into the district so I am surprised that we can continue to be competitive. Now onto Katy.

1 hour ago, TreatyOak said:

I love good trash talk so well said. We will still have portions of our monster offensive line next year, but guessing we get a huge drop off at QB. I haven’t been impressed w the projected next year starter.

Thoughts from the game: Our little midget RB is a tough little player. He continues to exceed my expectations. I really liked your team when the backup QB came in. The starting QB has the size and a good arm but he doesn’t feel as good as previous ones. Your skill players are really good. Lots of speed. I’ve never seen a Lake Travis team get pushed around like that. The talent gap should continue to grow in favor of LT with more and more sports families moving into the district so I am surprised that we can continue to be competitive. Now onto Katy.

Yeah, didn't watch it but that was a real ass-kickin'.  Carter no doubt is really pissed.  But let's face it... LT is a bit down the past 2 years or so.  Will they get back?  Not sure, they got all the players when the area was growing and the school exploding in population.  Maybe they will again.. not to say they're dogshit now but certainly not the teams of old.. though it's hard to get back to that level.

As far as Westlake, my kid left LT 4 years ago so yeah, I don't watch as much, but... is this the best Westlake team ever?  I do know that the past two years they've had size to go with speed, just a massive 6A squad.  And you'd have to put Dodge in there as one of the top 2-3 Texas HFB coaches.  Guy is amazing (BTW, I really enjoyed watching him play QB here when I first got to the 40... Dodge was the QB when the sea change in football (and here at Texas) began to shift to a more wide-open passing attack.  He was the QB of the first team I saw as a student here, and he really could sling the ball.  Just didn't have quite the cast.

Anyway, I think it's kinda true that LT and WL aren't hated rivals - yet anyway - and I'll root for 'em in the playoffs more or less.

But next year we're gonna kick your blue and red asses all over Garret Wilson/Squints Field and spit on the craters you're lying in.  Meanwhile, have a good run!

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, didn't watch it but that was a real ass-kickin'.  Carter no doubt is really pissed.  But let's face it... LT is a bit down the past 2 years or so.  Will they get back?  Not sure, they got all the players when the area was growing and the school exploding in population.  Maybe they will again.. not to say they're dogshit now but certainly not the teams of old.. though it's hard to get back to that level.

As far as Westlake, my kid left LT 4 years ago so yeah, I don't watch as much, but... is this the best Westlake team ever?  I do know that the past two years they've had size to go with speed, just a massive 6A squad.  And you'd have to put Dodge in there as one of the top 2-3 Texas HFB coaches.  Guy is amazing (BTW, I really enjoyed watching him play QB here when I first got to the 40... Dodge was the QB when the sea change in football (and here at Texas) began to shift to a more wide-open passing attack.  He was the QB of the first team I saw as a student here, and he really could sling the ball.  Just didn't have quite the cast.

Anyway, I think it's kinda true that LT and WL aren't hated rivals - yet anyway - and I'll root for 'em in the playoffs more or less.

But next year we're gonna kick your blue and red asses all over Garret Wilson/Squints Field and spit on the craters you're lying in.  Meanwhile, have a good run!

Great post and I am predicting you win next year. I think the Westlake team from last year was a little better than this one. That one had a mean defense and this one has 9 new starters on D. Cade is the best QB I’ve seen at Westlake. Better than Foles and Sam. The LT QB had a horrific pick-6 into double coverage. I know the community is not entirely in love with him. The LT skill players are outstanding. This game was all about the line play on both sides. It’s cyclical and LT will be back with a new QB.