Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Ok. So I’m a bit of an expert now. I’ve watched SIX minutes of Milroe’s Hudl film.

I’m in the minority here as a Preston Stone fan. Despite the competition level and the douchiness/daddy issues, I think he’s a complete, polished passer. That said, Milroe is obviously good enough to take if he’s ready to jump on board now. I can definitely see why Herman/Beck would be attracted to his skill set. It sounds like awesome news is coming. 

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Is Brandon Campbell the one that's a lock? 

IIRC there were two guys that were supposed to be locks that we offered over the summer. I want to say Campbell and a LB

Yeah, huuuge UT fan. Originally from Georgia, so that's a bit of a threat, but if Drayton doesn't dramatically screw the pooch (and it's not like we'll deprioritize Campbell, this is definitely a 2 RB class) we should be ok.

Unrelated, from the IT interview - Beck continues to be a real recruiting asset:

JM: Me and Coach Beck we had been talking all spring; building the relationship, talking over the phone. I went down to UT and talked to him. I was able to hear his coaching style. I looked at the philosophy of the program and how things are going. I like Coach Beck, I like Coach Herman. I like how Coach Herman is on and off the field. For me, the best thing about Texas is it’s at home. My family will be able to come see me play. What I also liked about Texas is the program itself and what Texas has for its athletes. 

Edited by texifornia

Nahlin on Milroe:

Once my TCU guy told me about his mentality and personality I started looking at him a bit different. Then I kept asking around and heard more of the same. It was always about how driven he was rather than his obvious natural gifts.

Dad was an infantryman and range instructor in the Marines. He met Jalen's mom in Iraq. They arrived the same day but met a week later. She was in the Navy. Now he's a police officer that teaches grappling. They've done an amazing job with Jalen and his siblings.

And his dad was against the video.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Is Brandon Campbell the one that's a lock? 

IIRC there were two guys that were supposed to be locks that we offered over the summer. I want to say Campbell and a LB

Hopefully.  And Campbell isn't some scrub either.  Really good RB.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

So who ends up the higher rated recruit Milroe or Stone

Stone's no joke talent-wise, and will rack up stats against his competition. That said, if he follows his family connections to SMU there's no way he doesn't sink a bit while Milroe passes him.

1 hour ago, GRHorn said:

Ok. So I’m a bit of an expert now. I’ve watched SIX minutes of Milroe’s Hudl film.

I’m in the minority here as a Preston Stone fan. Despite the competition level and the douchiness/daddy issues, I think he’s a complete, polished passer. That said, Milroe is obviously good enough to take if he’s ready to jump on board now. I can definitely see why Herman/Beck would be attracted to his skill set. It sounds like awesome news is coming. 

This take keeps getting repeated and makes no sense. Who gives a shit if a 15 year old is a complete polished passer? All that means is that he's closer to his ceiling and the 15 year old whose mechanics need work has more room for improvement.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Who else?  Neville?  Wheaton?  Conner, Foster, or Jackson to round out OL?

We don't lead for any of those guys except for maybe Wheaton, and let's see how that goes with Samples gone and Wheaton taking visits to other schools now (including Bama just before the dead period and A&M this Friday). 

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Roach had a "next 5 to commit" for the 21' class and had Jordon Thomas in it.  Said a fall decision could come and said he talks up Texas behind the scenes.

That wouldn't be surprising. RoJo's neck of the woods, and we were way ahead of the curve on offering him.

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This take keeps getting repeated and makes no sense. Who gives a shit if a 15 year old is a complete polished passer? All that means is that he's closer to his ceiling and the 15 year old whose mechanics need work has more room for improvement.

Sorry I meant complete as in he can make seemingly every throw, not that he's a finished product.  But as far as mechanics go, wouldn't you want someone who starts out with ideal mechanics if the results are already excellent?