How many assistant coaches does Sark fire?

alphahorn

22 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Kickoff return is horrible. Bad decisions, terrible blocking.  Yeah we returned one or two against TCU but so what.  We’ve sucked bad in 5 other games and continually pinned our own fragile offense deep trying to “make something happen”.  Just really poor strategy and execution. 

I don’t disagree, but kick return is only one part of special teams. We’re currently ranked 16th in combined special teams FEI. Kick return is weak. Everything else is pretty strong.

5 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We need a whole new OL, DL, and LBs except maybe Overshown. Coaching would look a lot better if we can significantly improve those position groups 

This made me laugh a bit in a sad and sadistic way. This tells you where the defense is when one of the biggest offenders on run defense is a person Texas should keep

ST has been fine. I can't remember the last time we blocked this many punts in a season. And the punt/kickoff teams have been solid. Return teams have been average, should honestly just fair catch every kickoff. Banks' job is safe barring more monkey issues.

I wonder if we'd bring in Jimmy Lake if he gets canned (which I still don't expect). If we're going to hang on to PK another year, that'd be a strong addition.

6 hours ago, alphahorn said:

I'm somewhat in this camp. I might look to replace WR coach, never been a fan of Coleman. But when you look at who we roll out there, we are devoid of talent. That OL is miserable. TE is a fucking joke. We only have 1 receiver now and that has made us just way to easy to shut down.  Terrible QB play.  On defense we have NO linebackers. O has raw talent, but lacks instincts. When Brock, Bush and Schooler are seeing this much playing time, it's a miracle we get any stops.

How does this keep being a story? We roll in class after class of 4 and 5 stars.  Do we just somehow get all the busts every single year? I’m not buying that Iowa St, Baylor and Okie St somehow get the “right” 2 and 3 stars and we get the “wrong” 4 and 5 stars.  

Even if that’s true, it’s still coaches picking them, but I guess we can’t blame Sark for that (yet). 

1 hour ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We’re one deep on defense outside of CB. Actually, we’re not even one deep at LB or S. We don’t have 15 more fresh war daddies sitting on the sideline just waiting to be rolled into the game and thrown against an overmatched offense. They wear down, and get beaten down with the offensive ineptitude. And I’m not even touching on some of the stupidity happening between the headsets.

We used to watch this movie all the time when some decent G5 level team would roll into Austin with solid starters, hang with UT for a half as we “with stood the surge” and then steamrolled them as their starters tired. We are, unfortunately, that decent G5 team now.

Have you also watched how many 3 and outs the offense throws at the defense? There’s a serious imbalance in plays ran in favor of opponents in the losses. And a bunch of scoring drives are four plays, five plays long. 

If you’re already thin on depth— this is how you get a second half collapse. Everyone wants a big play offense, but if you are able to build a lead the single most demoralizing, best defense is to put together a long drive with plenty of plays and come away with points at the end. PK didn’t forget how defense works.

Edited by 956 Worldwide

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Haven't seen him mentioned much but it sure seems like Becton needs to be replaced. Weak lines, poor conditioning, and soft mindsets. I like the guy but the results seem pretty apparent.

Yeah hiring the Cal strength coach should have told us what to expect this year. Maybe Cochran can be convinced to give up on the field coaching and come to Austin. 

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Yeah hiring the Cal strength coach should have told us what to expect this year. Maybe Cochran can be convinced to give up on the field coaching and come to Austin. 

Can't imagine why he'd do that. Maybe try to hire the #2 S&C guy at UGA/Bama

The first firing that should and will take place imo is the WR coach. He was obviously outclassed from the get go and has done nothing on the recruiting trail or field since he has been here. My moon shot choice to replace him would be Joe Brady if he can’t turn the Panthers offense around this season. 

45 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

How does this keep being a story? We roll in class after class of 4 and 5 stars.  Do we just somehow get all the busts every single year? I’m not buying that Iowa St, Baylor and Okie St somehow get the “right” 2 and 3 stars and we get the “wrong” 4 and 5 stars.  

Even if that’s true, it’s still coaches picking them, but I guess we can’t blame Sark for that (yet). 

we don't really get 5 stars(1 a class maybe?) but we get 3.5 stars that get bumped to 4 and some true 4 stars.  Its coaching pure and simple.  I'm not oblivious to the fact that some guys mentally check out when there is coaching turnover.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

The first firing that should and will take place imo is the WR coach. He was obviously outclassed from the get go and has done nothing on the recruiting trail or field since he has been here. My moon shot choice to replace him would be Joe Brady if he can’t turn the Panthers offense around this season. 

NC winning OC Joe Brady? to Texas WR coach? you are kidding right?

Edited by dcar00

44 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

How does this keep being a story? We roll in class after class of 4 and 5 stars.  Do we just somehow get all the busts every single year?

The last decade or so, we get 0 or 1 five star per class ... The one class that had multiple were all safeties. The rest of every class is a mix of 3 stars and 4 stars. We should really call it like a 3.6 star culture.

Anyway, it seems our best recent OL players were all 3 star. OL is tough to evaluate and project. The key is bringing in a ton of OL and DL in every class. Even when Charlie was hired he said something like, our roster has too many small guys and not enough big guys. That's basically what Sark said with "we need 5 OL in every class" ... We gotta win the portal this off season.

36 minutes ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

So we're fucked for at least another 5 yrs best case scenario, correct? 

Lol no. Baylor portaled-in a couple experienced G5 OL and turned their shit around in 1 year. They won't be world beaters but they'll get our floor out of the sewer. It will be easy to sell them playing time...

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

The word "talent" gets a little confusing, but ultimately you still gotta develop the 4 and 5 star recruits. Herman didn't do that, so this staff inherited a shit roster regardless of recruiting rankings. We'll see if this staff does any better at developing. 

1 minute ago, B00M said:

Lol no. Baylor portaled-in a couple experienced G5 OL and turned their shit around in 1 year. They won't be world beaters but they'll get our floor out of the sewer. It will be easy to sell them playing time...

Yeah the portal is a game-changer. We may or may not be successful in it, but it definitely creates an opportunity. Mich St is another prime example.

In case you are wondering , here are current Texas Football Assistants' contract deals.  Pretty sure PK, Flood, Banks, Davis and Joseph's are all guaranteed (not sure about the guarantees for other assistants)

• DC Pete Kwiatkowski got a 3-year deal at $1.7 million per year with no annual raise
  • OC/OL coach Kyle Flood: 3 years — $1.1 million (2021), $1.175 million (2022), $1.25 million (2023)
  • ST/TEs coach Jeff Banks: 3 years — $1 million (2021), $1.05 million (2022), $1.1 million (2023)
  • DL coach Bo Davis: 3 years — $875,000 (2021), $900,000 (2022), $925,000 (2023)
  • Pass game coordinator/CBs coach Terry Joseph: 2 years — $750,000 (2021), $800,000 (2022)
  • Running Game Coordinator/RBs coach Stan Drayton received a 2-year deal at $650,000 per year
  • Co-DC/ILBs coach Jeff Choate: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $575,000 (2022)
  • WRs coach Andre Coleman: 2 years — $450,000 (2021), $500,000 (2022)
  • Safeties coach Blake Gideon: 2 years — $400,000 (2021), $425,000 (2022)
  • QBs Coach AJ Milwee    (unavailable)

Head strength coach Torre Becton: 2 years — $500,000 (2021), $525,000 (2022)

Sark has a guaranteed 6yr Contract. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-releases-contract-info-for-steve-sarkisian-new-staff/

Edited by LTtxfan

24 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

The word "talent" gets a little confusing, but ultimately you still gotta develop the 4 and 5 star recruits. Herman didn't do that, so this staff inherited a shit roster regardless of recruiting rankings. We'll see if this staff does any better at developing. 

Yep. We fired Herman more than in part because our roster was shit and his recruiting fell off horribly. I remember at the end of last season everyone was screaming that if we didn't let him go, our roster was going to be complete shit. It is, and a new coach coming in wasn't going to fix that immediately. Got to give Sark an opportunity to purge some of these losers.

Gotta give Sark a chance to turn that around. He needs to go full Chris Beard.. If he can't, then you get rid of him. He gets 3 years to show he's moving in the right direction. Anything less and we remain a dumpster fire. We have ten years of zero stability in a coaching staff. There's a decade of crap to try and correct. 

And we need to never offer a Lake Travis qb again. Soft motherfuckers. 

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

In case you are wondering , here are current Texas Football Assistants' contract deals.  Pretty sure PK, Flood, Banks, Davis and Joseph's are all guaranteed (not sure about the guarantees for other assistants)

Sark has a guaranteed 6yr Contract. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/texas-releases-contract-info-for-steve-sarkisian-new-staff/

shit, I thought it was 5.  I guess we'd eat the last 2 years anyway.

Co OC and Passing game coordinator but coaching WRs 

Because immediately taking a lateral move to return to the NFL - where you’ve otherwise spent your entire career - after one year at the college level, during which you literally break the college game like a kid with some Madden cheat code as a OC, screams “totally interested in the college game and especially a co-OC tag!”
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, alphahorn said:

I'm somewhat in this camp. I might look to replace WR coach, never been a fan of Coleman. But when you look at who we roll out there, we are devoid of talent. That OL is miserable. TE is a fucking joke. We only have 1 receiver now and that has made us just way to easy to shut down.  Terrible QB play.  On defense we have NO linebackers. O has raw talent, but lacks instincts. When Brock, Bush and Schooler are seeing this much playing time, it's a miracle we get any stops.

Absolutely he needs to fire Coleman. That's the best he can do? The fuck? I have no doubt Samples would be much better and he actually gets off his ass to recruit. I still don't understand what the fuck he was thinking keeping that dude around. He's useless.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

i'd grab the LSU guy.  Most of these 22-25 recruits won't know who Aaron Ross is.

Well yeah, but Raymond isn't leaving Baton Rouge. That's wish casting. We all want to believe he'd come, but reality is he won't. I truly believe he'll be an LSU lifer. He's for sure my top choice, but it just won't happen.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

We can say the same about 99.99% of Texas HS offensive linemen.  TX HS Coaches need to get fucked until they put real lines together.  I hate to say it, but Jumbo seems to have had the right idea to go out of state for his linemen. 

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Yep. We fired Herman more than in part because our roster was shit and his recruiting fell off horribly. I remember at the end of last season everyone was screaming that if we didn't let him go, our roster was going to be complete shit. It is, and a new coach coming in wasn't going to fix that immediately. Got to give Sark an opportunity to purge some of these losers.

Gotta give Sark a chance to turn that around. He needs to go full Chris Beard.. If he can't, then you get rid of him. He gets 3 years to show he's moving in the right direction. Anything less and we remain a dumpster fire. We have ten years of zero stability in a coaching staff. There's a decade of crap to try and correct. 

we fired him because he was a douche(among other rumored things) and because he couldn't even get to the conf champ game consistently.   none of the guys that have the money give a shit about roster mgmt when we are firing a coach.

all those guys would have fired Charlie after the Ark bowl game if they could have convinced the admin of it.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Because immediately taking a lateral move to return to the NFL - where you’ve otherwise spent your entire career - after one year at the college level, during which you literally break the college game like a kid with some Madden cheat code as a OC, screams “totally interested in the college game and especially a co-OC tag!”

Hes coached 5 years in college and 4 now in the NFL. By all accounts he has failed in the NFL and wont be a NFL head coach anytime soon. So yeah the college game may be his best shot to get the experience he needs to be a head coach at either level. 

We can say the same about 99.99% of Texas HS offensive linemen.  TX HS Coaches need to get fucked until they put real lines together.  I hate to say it, but Jumbo seems to have had the right idea to go out of state for his linemen. 

OU and aggy take plenty of Texas OL. Bama takes them. Skimming aggy 247 since you mentioned them, aggy has taken four or five OOS OL in the five 2018-22 recruiting classes. One was a JUCO ranked as the top JUCO OL. They basically average one a year.

Hes coached 5 years in college and 4 now in the NFL. By all accounts he has failed in the NFL and wont be a NFL head coach anytime soon. So yeah the college game may be his best shot to get the experience he needs to be a head coach at either level. 

I’ll concede I didn’t know he coached LBs at his FCS alma mater immediately after graduating as a WR and then GA’ed at Penn State. That’s still kind of a stretch though. And immediately bolting back to the NFL after locking down job security in college still doesn’t give any indication he’s interested in the college game.

9 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Said it in another thread, but Eltife needs to use his power as UT System president to simply swap our team (and coach) with UTSAs. 

What the hell is “UT System President” ?

eltife’s infatuation with Sark is puzzling though.