How many assistant coaches does Sark fire?

alphahorn

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

SARK and company better do a fantastic job evaluating and gathering players from the portal this off-season...

hes got a good pitch. There’s playing time available and 4-5 solid additions with 2 on the OL would make an incredible difference. We just have too many holes to scheme around and it leads to sputtering.

19 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
22 minutes ago, DiceHands said:
so he is worthless.  fire him.

Special team's as whole has been better...minus the dicker fake punt but that was dicker's "option" to call that.

special teams can be run by fucking anyone.  we can find someone that isnt bringing even more unwanted attention to the program.  they aint that good.

11 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Nope - KU is gonna push our shit in. I think you honestly have to consider firing Sark after that happens. Maybe go after Mel Tucker and load up on the portal? Or just shut the fucking program down and save people money. 

This is such a 5 star country club take...that got us to where we are now.  You should go ahead and plan to fire that next coach because he obviously is an idiot if he took the job. Can we at least give a coach a minimum of 12 months? Is that too much to ask. I'll save you some time for the next year, we're not going to go 10-2 next year either, maybe not even 8-4. No coach is doing that here anytime soon with where we are at.  We've got a bunch of 1-2 star players hiding behind 4 star Texas ratings. 

2 minutes ago, troph said:

I think that’s where he loses the other half of the educated fan base - if he fucks up the portal play.  If he nails it and things get better, he’ll have some breathing room and the naysayers will backpedal. He may be a perpetual 7 win guy, but I have to believe his restart - not just with Saban - improved his skill set. Let’s see what he can do. And bring on some bag men on the street for Christ’s sake! We SEC now bitches.

I think he's already lost most of the higher football IQ fanbase this year. There are absolutely roster issues that aren't his fault, but even grading on a curve for what's available, the product on the field has been bad. And this motherfucker wanted Mike Stoops to run the defense (which may have actually yielded better results lolz). It will be the casual, Saturday-only fan that defends the staff based on it being year one. While their analysis of the situation may be wrong, they're actually the smart ones for not giving the program anything more than the bare minimum in terms of time commitment/emotional investment.

The Great Portal Purge could theoretically happen just like Texas could have theoretically won out and earned a rematch after the OU collapse. This staff has not inspired any confidence that they can pull huge asks like that off.

We SEC now, and Vanderbilt is breathing a sigh of relief.

• Like 1

The talent is lacking, no question.  Is that because the players suck or they received zero development under Herman or they are just entitled?  Don't know.  Don't care.

I'm trying to think of players on this team who get any playing time on teams from 2003-2009.

Offense: Bijan, Worthy (maybe, as he's a freshman)
Defense: Anyone?  Maybe Overshown or Collins (assuming they've responded to developmental coaching)

As mentioned, Sark needs to turn over the roster.  Thompson was sucking last night and Sark HAD to sub Card in.  By doing so, he showed everyone that Texas indeed has zero competent QBs.  With the exception of RB, he needs to do that everywhere.  All jobs are open.  No positions are guaranteed.

The loss last night was rough, but it was not Strong/Arkansas rough.  I still think we need to give it time.

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This is such a 5 star country club take...that got us to where we are now.  You should go ahead and plan to fire that next coach because he obviously is an idiot if he took the job. Can we at least give a coach a minimum of 12 months? Is that too much to ask. I'll save you some time for the next year, we're not going to go 10-2 next year either, maybe not even 8-4. No coach is doing that here anytime soon with where we are at.  We've got a bunch of 1-2 star players hiding behind 4 star Texas ratings. 

Then explain the other schools that recruit them and offer scholarships. Are they going solely based on Texas ratings?

19 minutes ago, troph said:

I think that’s where he loses the other half of the educated fan base - if he fucks up the portal play.  If he nails it and things get better, he’ll have some breathing room and the naysayers will backpedal. He may be a perpetual 7 win guy, but I have to believe his restart - not just with Saban - improved his skill set. Let’s see what he can do. And bring on some bag men on the street for Christ’s sake! We SEC now bitches.

100%.  im tired of firing head coaches and being toxic and re-building constantly.  we need to stick with one coach and let them work through the initial shitty years without calling for their head.  whether we want to admit it or not, our toxic fanbase plays a huge role in how we got here today, and it started with the fire mack bullshit years ago.  that same mentality has rotted away the core of this program and the only way out is to stick with one guy and let them figure it out without the added pressure of our idiotic fanbase flying banners over downtown austin that say "COACH X IS NOT OUR STANDARD".

sark HAS to hit that portal so fucking hard that we look like a completely different team next year.  if he doesnt, we are fucked, and our toxic fanbase will start flying the banners yet again.

Edited by DiceHands
  • Hook 'Em 5

31 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

And OL is the one position that can make all the other positions look like shit.  

33 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You keep blaming Sark but this comment right here shows why the Offense sucks and no coach could fix it this year.  When your O line sucks it doesn't matter if you have a great QB, WR's and RB's the offense will still suck.  Now add in that we don't have a great QB and have only one good WR and it is a miracle that Sark has been able to figure out ways to score at all.  If our QB's could hit a few wide open WR's and if those WR's could actually make a catch we would have scored a bunch more last night even with the crap O line and that tells me Sark is actually figuring out ways to put the shit players in position to succeed as best as any coach can at this point.  

To add to a crap O line being a problem.  You can tell by my avatar that I am a Pats fan and Brady to me is the best ever.  The years or even games when the Oline wasn't good are the times when Brady looked horrible and everyone called for him to retire because he was too old.  The second the Pats got his O line back to being good he was suddenly able to perform (this includes leaving the Pats and going to the Bucs who had a solid OL and GREAT WR's). 

You know what.  I took a shower, drank my coffee, played a bit with my 20 month old and calmed down. I agree with you.  

FUCK FLOOD. He needs to go to. Zero improvement. Just regression. 

thanks for helping me see the light. 

Edited by ONE YARD

9 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We need a whole new OL, DL, and LBs except maybe Overshown. Coaching would look a lot better if we can significantly improve those position groups 

I'm in the 'can't fire the staff" version of this argument,  but.......The game day coaching of this staff is as bad as anything Chuck threw out there.  Zero effective adjustments during the entire year.  Zero.  This same talent was competitive on defense last year,  The offense was competitive.  Not great but competed four quarters.  When we pin the other team back on the 1/2 yard line and everyone in the stadium knows they are going to run the ball to get some room,  we line up in a three man line with deep safeties - ie our base defense,  like they are starting at the 25.  That's lack of game day coaching.  When its third and 7 and entire 5 DB bail beyond the first down marker,  that's a coaching call.  Leaving your 2nd string qb in when he clearly isn't pulling the trigger despite time to make three reads and then running around like a chicken with head cut off - that's coaching.  Either put Casey back in,  or throw one of your walk-ons in there and pull your elite running back.  Now Casey is burned, Card is burned, BR is injured,  and our pet's heads have all fallen off.    Situational coaching of this staff is junior high level.  

Edited by TheAuditor
phrasing
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

this is such a bad take.  these players are 3 and 4 star players that other teams similar to us wanted.  you are correct we aren't winning 8 games next year because we have a 7 win coach.

keep making excuses for crappy coaching.

he's getting 4 years so why are you worried about people who say he is who he is.  you are gonna get what you want and more.

13 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

We need a whole new OL, DL, and LBs except maybe Overshown. Coaching would look a lot better if we can significantly improve those position groups 

It's strange, the OL looks pretty solid pass blocking wise in stretches, then gets absolutely swarmed (majority in the 2nd half) on other LONG stretches.

I know I'm in the minority but I don't think the DL needs an overhaul. It's the DEs/Jack positions that do.  We don't have any that can play 3 downs.  Ovie is probably our best rusher but he's a one trick pony that shoots up field. Collins as much as we want, isn't a DE.. he should excel inside alongside Sweat/ Ojomo/Murphy.

My biggest concern DEF is at linebacker.  Feels we haven't been able to find solid play here since Gary Johnson left.  I like DMO but he's still raw and he's going to declare for the draft no matter what next month.

Ghenda/Tilman/Ford/Richardson/Blackwell.. They all need to step up and I'm not sure any will.  We have some coming in, but that's going back in circles thinking true freshman can man the position and good things happen. They have to find an immediate upgrade with game experienced through the portal.  And at LB that may be more difficult that we can imagine

30 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Please explain the second half collapses.   Remember, the same players were on the field in the first half.

Well, we see that the second half collapses are a reversion to the mean basically.

So the first-half "blowouts" are serious overachievement worthy of recognition.

It occurs to me that maybe Turtle Tom's relentless letting up in the second half (after not building the kind of leads Sark's teams have done), somehow warped the players.

It is truly bizarre.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 hours ago, Cashcar said:

You start with firing Sark. This guy is a fucking fraud. This is Chuck Strong level bullshit. 

It's funny how so many of us said this after the OU game. Hell, I made a thread about him after the Arkansas game. That's all I needed to see to know he's Strong 2.0. He's never been much of a head coach at all. Picking the OC for the Bama machine was such a lazy, uninspired hire 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

hes got a good pitch. There’s playing time available and 4-5 solid additions with 2 on the OL would make an incredible difference. We just have too many holes to scheme around and it leads to sputtering.

giphy.gif

And no QB nor upperclassmen leadership...  

45 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'll save you some time for the next year, we're not going to go 10-2 next year either, maybe not even 8-4. No coach is doing that here anytime soon with where we are at.  We've got a bunch of 1-2 star players hiding behind 4 star Texas ratings. 

Probably right...

How many current players can Texas really count on to help this team improve in 2022 ???

1. Bijan
  2. Worthy
  3. Roschon
  4. Alfred Collins
  5. Jahdae Barron
  6. Byron Murphy II
  7. Hayden Conner
  8. Kitan Crawford
  9. Ojomo ???
  10. Sweat ???
  11. Karic  ???
  12. Majors  ???

No LB's, Safeties, DE's, TE's QB's

59 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

The talent is lacking, no question.  Is that because the players suck or they received zero development under Herman or they are just entitled?  Don't know.  Don't care.  I'm trying to think of players on this team who get any playing time on teams from 2003-2009.   Offense: Bijan, Worthy (maybe, as he's a freshman). Defense: Anyone?  Maybe Overshown or Collins (assuming they've responded to developmental coaching)

As mentioned, Sark needs to turn over the roster.  Thompson was sucking last night and Sark HAD to sub Card in.  By doing so, he showed everyone that Texas indeed has zero competent QBs.  With the exception of RB, he needs to do that everywhere.  All jobs are open.  No positions are guaranteed.

The loss last night was rough, but it was not Strong/Arkansas rough.  I still think we need to give it time.

It's both a terrible roster and coaching -- mistakes, poor execution and a lack of playmakers are all killing this team !!!

Edited by LTtxfan

35 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

What’s obvious is there is a clear pattern of second half collapses.  That’s on the coaches.

What can you point to? Seriously, break it down. Show me some film.

You can’t, because (much like this team) you’re just a whiny moron. This program is truly a reflection of its fan base. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

i'm on the "we've actually got a pretty solid staff" train.

sark's abilities as a hc definitely deserve question, but it's not time to even consider letting him go.

we were all thinking "damn this staff fucks" a couple of months ago.

i think the staff still fucks.

recruiting had some big misses under herman, and it shows. so does the staff turnover.

find consistency with the staff, develop those that are committed, and hit the portal to replace those that aren't should be the focus.

we've had horrible performances but it's not time to jump off the ledge, yet. 

there's a precedent for first year head coaches getting wrecked before turning things around.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Texaspython said:

What can you point to? Seriously, break it down. Show me some film.

You can’t, because (much like this team) you’re just a whiny moron. This program is truly a reflection of its fan base. 

Why don’t you show me where Sark’s record as HC is anything more than mediocre?

I had high hopes for PK but I would be ecstatic if Sark dumped him and brought in someone else. No in game adjustments and they just turn to shit throughout the game. Dan Quinn is a good example of the right guy coming in and turning a shitty defense around immediately with essentially the same roster.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

Why don’t you show me where Sark’s record as HC is anything more than mediocre?

Who gives a shit. Texas is stuck with him for next year and probably next. Whining about his record at Washington is a waste of space. Only thing fans can do is hope that Sark evaluates the program, culls the roster, and hits the portal like a fat kid hits a candy store. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You keep blaming Sark but this comment right here shows why the Offense sucks and no coach could fix it this year.  When your O line sucks it doesn't matter if you have a great QB, WR's and RB's the offense will still suck.  Now add in that we don't have a great QB and have only one good WR and it is a miracle that Sark has been able to figure out ways to score at all.  If our QB's could hit a few wide open WR's and if those WR's could actually make a catch we would have scored a bunch more last night even with the crap O line and that tells me Sark is actually figuring out ways to put the shit players in position to succeed as best as any coach can at this point.  

To add to a crap O line being a problem.  You can tell by my avatar that I am a Pats fan and Brady to me is the best ever.  The years or even games when the Oline wasn't good are the times when Brady looked horrible and everyone called for him to retire because he was too old.  The second the Pats got his O line back to being good he was suddenly able to perform (this includes leaving the Pats and going to the Bucs who had a solid OL and GREAT WR's). 

Agree with this. Even after yesterday, we have the #22 scoring offense in the country. Fix the OL and that's probably top 15. Get a good QB and 1 more WR, top 5-10. We all see the open WRs being missed, the breakdowns on the OL etc. The plays are there, just need better execution. All that to say, I still have hope on that side of the ball.

I can't explain what's happening on defense. If you take the 1st half only, we're probably a top 20 defense. Seriously. Second half only, we're probably bottom 10. In an era where teams watch hours of film before games, I can't believe that every opposing staff come in unprepared but then has some halftime epiphany and those halftime adjustments make all the difference (same with the offense). 

To answer the OP though, I think our worse position groups are:

Safety - adios to Gideon

LB - Choate

OL - but I wouldn't can Flood quite yet. We all know he inherited more garbage than anyone else. With that said, it's disheartening to see Henson fix A&M's shitty OL already and we're still stumbling along without much improvement. I'd give Flood another year with some fresh portal bodies.

Coleman would be on the chopping block too, especially bc this isn't year 1 for him. Worthy is a stud. JWhitt was good. Otherwise meh. Bad recruiter too it seems.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

I can't explain what's happening on defense. If you take the 1st half only, we're probably a top 20 defense. Seriously. Second half only, we're probably bottom 10. In an era where teams watch hours of film before games, I can't believe that every opposing staff come in unprepared but then has some halftime epiphany and those halftime adjustments make all the difference (same with the offense). 

We’re one deep on defense outside of CB. Actually, we’re not even one deep at LB or S. We don’t have 15 more fresh war daddies sitting on the sideline just waiting to be rolled into the game and thrown against an overmatched offense. They wear down, and get beaten down with the offensive ineptitude. And I’m not even touching on some of the stupidity happening between the headsets.

We used to watch this movie all the time when some decent G5 level team would roll into Austin with solid starters, hang with UT for a half as we “with stood the surge” and then steamrolled them as their starters tired. We are, unfortunately, that decent G5 team now.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bobby_Batronic said:

We’re one deep on defense outside of CB. Actually, we’re not even one deep at LB or S. We don’t have 15 more fresh war daddies sitting on the sideline just waiting to be rolled into the game and thrown against an overmatched offense. They wear down, and get beaten down with the offensive ineptitude. And I’m not even touching on some of the stupidity happening between the headsets.

We used to watch this movie all the time when some decent G5 level team would roll into Austin with solid starters, hang with UT for a half as we “with stood the surge” and then steamrolled them as their starters tired. We are, unfortunately, that decent G5 team now.

Yeah I'm leaning towards conditioning/depth as a major issue on both sides of the ball. Not saying it's the whole problem, but a large part. The other biggest part being mental. I suspect Xs and Os are actually third on the list. 

The WSJ had an article on Michigan and MSU a couple weeks ago and this quote stood out to me (from MSU's RB coach):

“Guys weren’t able to sustain the type of energy that you needed in a practice last year,” said Peagler. By the time the coaches realized the depth of the conditioning problem, the season had begun and it was too late to fix.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Probably right...

How many current players can Texas really count on to help this team improve in 2022 ???

1. Bijan
  2. Worthy
  3. Roschon
  4. Alfred Collins
  5. Jahdae Barron
  6. Byron Murphy II
  7. Hayden Conner
  8. Kitan Crawford
  9. Ojomo ???
  10. Sweat ???
  11. Karic  ???
  12. Majors  ???

No LB's, Safeties, DE's, TE's QB's

we need to start a 7 on 7 conference

50 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

That, and our special teams are actually pretty f’ing good this year. Watching special teams under previous staffs makes it obvious that no, not just anyone can do it.

Kickoff return is horrible. Bad decisions, terrible blocking.  Yeah we returned one or two against TCU but so what.  We’ve sucked bad in 5 other games and continually pinned our own fragile offense deep trying to “make something happen”.  Just really poor strategy and execution. 

• Like 1