Miami withdraws from Sun Bowl

Helobious

39 MINUTES AGO         DOUG SAMUELS

An FCS program is lobbying for a chance to play in a bowl game

Ongoing COVID issues has caused the cancellation of a few bowl games already, and Rutgers was recently able to step in as a replacement for Texas A&M to play Wake Forest in the Gator Bowl.

Over the weekend, Miami had to pull out of their Sun Bowl matchup with Washington State due to COVID issues, leaving the Coogs scrambling to find a replacement opponent.

Jake Dickert and his squad pulled into El Paso on Sunday and found out the news, which prompted Dickert to take to social media to piggy back off WSU's official statement, adding that they're willing to play anyone.

Knowing full well how difficult it may be for Wazzu to find a willing opponent, an FCS team is shooting their shot to get in on the bowl action.

Colby Carthel, who led Stephen F. Austin (FCS) to an 8-win season this past fall, fired off a series of replies following Dickert's "we're willing to play anyone" tweet stating that he'd have his guys ready to go.

Stephen F. Austin is located across the state in Nacogdoches, about a 12 hour trip from the campus of UTEP where the game is set to be played.

When Rutgers was chosen to fill in for A&M last week, Illinois was also interested in the replacement spot, but multiple reports over the weekend indicated that Bret Bielema's team wouldn't push for the Sun Bowl spot. 

Three other programs that were affected by recent bowl game cancellations - Memphis, ECU, and SMU - as well as UTEP (who already played in a bowl game game but could apply for a waiver to play in a second one) are all unlikely to jump at the Sun Bowl opportunity, according to reports.

While it seems unlikely that the NCAA would allow this (for reasons unknown to me), how fun would it be to have a willing FCS team step in to play in a bowl game like this. They know they've got four days to prep, and can make the trip a night or two before the game.

If there's no willing FBS teams, why the heck not?

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

39 MINUTES AGO         DOUG SAMUELS

An FCS program is lobbying for a chance to play in a bowl game

Ongoing COVID issues has caused the cancellation of a few bowl games already, and Rutgers was recently able to step in as a replacement for Texas A&M to play Wake Forest in the Gator Bowl.

Over the weekend, Miami had to pull out of their Sun Bowl matchup with Washington State due to COVID issues, leaving the Coogs scrambling to find a replacement opponent.

Jake Dickert and his squad pulled into El Paso on Sunday and found out the news, which prompted Dickert to take to social media to piggy back off WSU's official statement, adding that they're willing to play anyone.

Knowing full well how difficult it may be for Wazzu to find a willing opponent, an FCS team is shooting their shot to get in on the bowl action.

Colby Carthel, who led Stephen F. Austin (FCS) to an 8-win season this past fall, fired off a series of replies following Dickert's "we're willing to play anyone" tweet stating that he'd have his guys ready to go.

Stephen F. Austin is located across the state in Nacogdoches, about a 12 hour trip from the campus of UTEP where the game is set to be played.

When Rutgers was chosen to fill in for A&M last week, Illinois was also interested in the replacement spot, but multiple reports over the weekend indicated that Bret Bielema's team wouldn't push for the Sun Bowl spot. 

Three other programs that were affected by recent bowl game cancellations - Memphis, ECU, and SMU - as well as UTEP (who already played in a bowl game game but could apply for a waiver to play in a second one) are all unlikely to jump at the Sun Bowl opportunity, according to reports.

While it seems unlikely that the NCAA would allow this (for reasons unknown to me), how fun would it be to have a willing FCS team step in to play in a bowl game like this. They know they've got four days to prep, and can make the trip a night or two before the game.

If there's no willing FBS teams, why the heck not?

I could see this. I know Carthel and he's not afraid of any team. Dude was a ruthless mofo when I was in college. He's the reason our school (A&M-Commerce) went from 1-9 to 7-5 the next season, then 3 straight conference championships followed by a national title in 2017. Damn I miss that man... 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I could see this. I know Carthel and he's not afraid of any team. Dude was a ruthless mofo when I was in college. He's the reason our school (A&M-Commerce) went from 1-9 to 7-5 the next season, then 3 straight conference championships followed by a national title in 2017. Damn I miss that man... 

He learned from his dad

10 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Sul Ross is close by.  

10 hours ago, markstanco said:

That’s still like 4 hours isn’t it?

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

That's considered close in that part of the state. 

It's only a little under 3 hours, around 225 miles from Jackson Field in Alpine to Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. Made that drive for HS games many times - most of our District was in El Paso, in years when it didn't stretch about the same distance, to Sonora (halfway to Austin for us). For yankees reading this, that is about the same as NYC to Boston. 

Edited by Tex Long

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

It's only a little under 3 hours, around 225 miles from Jackson Field in Alpine to Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso. Made that drive for HS games many times - most of our District was in El Paso, in years when it didn't stretch about the same distance, to Sonora (halfway to Austin for us). For yankees reading this, that is about the same as NYC to Boston. 

I just made that drive, live in EP, drove to Austin to see family,  something about Christmas and such. 

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

They gave Tech a scare and were leading at halftime.  They lost 28-22..

Me thinks they could give Washington State the same scare.

Central Michigan moves to face Washington State in Sun Bowl; Arizona Bowl canceled as COVID-19 disrupts football bowl season

7:40 PM CT   Andrea Adelson ESPN Sr Writer

Central Michigan will now play Washington State in the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl on Friday, a move that allows both teams to play in a bowl game.  

Both teams lost opponents to COVID-19 issues. Miami withdrew from the Sun Bowl on Sunday, sending the bowl scrambling for an opponent for the Cougars. That spot was filled by the Chippewas after their scheduled opponent, Boise State, withdrew from the Barstool Arizona Bowl on Monday.

The bowl games and respective conferences worked out an arrangement for the Sun Bowl to move forward with a game, while the Arizona Bowl became the fourth bowl game to be canceled for COVID-19 reasons.

"We are grateful for the diligent work of the Sun Bowl Association, the Pac-12 Conference, the Mid-American Conference and Central Michigan University to ensure the 2021 Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl will be played," Washington State athletic director Pat Chun said in a statement. "A special thank you to CMU's director of athletics Amy Folan and head coach Jim McElwain for prioritizing the bowl experience for both teams, especially the seniors who will be playing their final college football game."

Washington State arrived in El Paso, Texas, for the Sun Bowl on Sunday, only hours before Miami announced it would not be able to play. Central Michigan was already in Tucson, Arizona, preparing for the Arizona Bowl. In a statement, the Sun Bowl said, "Being a four-hour drive from El Paso, the Chippewas are set up logistically to make the trip and compete on Friday."