USMNT 2022

Napoleon

36 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

For some reason I have a soft spot for the SPL and Rangers, and I think its fine for a teenage or in his case a 20 year old, but if he is there for more than 2 years its a problem. Still could make the Champions League this season too. 

For me, the best thing about it is that you get training playing against grown men and because the weather sucks, the speed of play is fast because it’s difficult to overheat and hustle makes up for a lack of technical excellence. 

But at the same time, I feel like the pitches get sloppy because of the weather and lack of EPL-level funds and you can get banged up due to overzealous grown mean who hustle due to lack of technical excellence trying to put you in your place. 

…so that’s my mindset. 

• Hook 'Em 1

MLS is--and has been--important to the USMNT's development and progress. So was hosting the '94 Cup. So will be (mostly) hosting the '26 Cup. So was the NFL's Concussiongate. And so is the recent trend of club-affiliated youth programs that are actively scouting for top pre-teen talent and getting them signed early like what's already been in place in Europe and South America for decades.

But, yeah, that second tweet is asinine. Why should those guys come back to MLS (unless they wanted to)? What's the benefit for them? Esssplain it to me, Rucy.

IF the top four team in MLS could play in the Champions League, the next two could play in the Europa League, and the 7th place team could play in the Continental Whatever Thing…

THEN top players would consider coming to play in the MLS in the prime of their careers. 

But that CONCORDE replacement plane will have to be up and running first. 
image.thumb.jpeg.3543fb1b7d5a7f8d42239273f8894e4d.jpeg

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Oh there is so much wrong with that list. The inclusion of Eustaquio and Buchanan. The lack of Reyna. I mean, it's specifically leaving out a ton of American's just for the sake of being "edgy." Dumb list, waste of time.

I just started from the top because David over Pulisic is such a lame, transparent, "edgy" take.

Eustaquio and Buchanan in the top 10 is laughable. Eustaquio plays in Portugal and hasn't cracked the rotation for Porto yet. Buchanan has yet to prove he can succeed anywhere but the MLS. I mean I had to look up who each of them plays for. Might as well put Zimmerman and Jordan Morris on the list. 

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Until Reyna can Reyna again, and stay healthy doing it, I expect him to be left out of a lot of lists. 

I'm going to call bullshit on this. Because this guy included Davies as #1. Davies hasn't played a game for Canada since November. He took the field for Bayern about as long as Gio. When he came back hew as a big 0 for Bayern doing nothing for them (from what I see).

Frankly, Gio should be on this list since we're clearly talking about who's good, even if he's missed some time.

32 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I'm going to call bullshit on this. Because this guy included Davies as #1. Davies hasn't played a game for Canada since November. He took the field for Bayern about as long as Gio. When he came back hew as a big 0 for Bayern doing nothing for them (from what I see).

Frankly, Gio should be on this list since we're clearly talking about who's good, even if he's missed some time.

Davies has seasons of success in Europe and has started and won a Champions League Final. 

I see your call (of bullshit) and raise you an eye roll. 
🙄

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He isn't comparing them. If Davies is #1 right now then Gio should be on the list. 

Yes, you have stated that you believe that. 

Gio has shown flashes, but has yet to establish himself. 

He makes Pulisic look like an iron man.

NEWSFLASH: He’s not.

13 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Davies has seasons of success in Europe and has started and won a Champions League Final. 

I see your call (of bullshit) and raise you an eye roll. 
🙄

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He isn't comparing them. If Davies is #1 right now then Gio should be on the list. 

This.

And realize this, I'm not calling BS on you, i'm calling it on the maker of this list, because of exactly this. If he's talking about past accomplishments, then Gio should be on this list. Gio has had past performance. Sure, he hasn't won a UCL, but that's on Bayern, not Davies, they are likely winning that if he plays or not.

And if he's talking current form, then again, they have had about a similar impact, though I agree Davies did play in the fall.

I would also completely disagree about any sort of injury history on Gio. He's really only been playing top flight ball 3 seasons and he's only missed this year due to a pretty significant injury in the fall and a club decision for him to sit a at the end of the spring, primarily to keep him from making it worse. We have a long way to go before we know if he has injury issues.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:40 PM, Captain Ron said:

So I finally went back and watched this. How the fuck is Zardes still being talked about for the World Cup roster? He's on this graphic, but even Berhalter threw out his name as possibly playing in Qatar. WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!!?

D81EE31D-D1D7-4C27-B1F9-9AD130AD273B.thumb.jpeg.de75cc201a4b6f9e9a9a1e2fbfd05c82.jpeg

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

He’s played in all 3 friendlies.  Started the first got the second half in the other 2.

for those that missed Dike, Pefok and Wright all scored today, PEPI had an assist. 

Hah. I was wondering. It was cool seeing him come on while I was watching. 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:38 AM, shnsajax said:

For some reason I have a soft spot for the SPL and Rangers, and I think its fine for a teenage or in his case a 20 year old, but if he is there for more than 2 years its a problem. Still could make the Champions League this season too. 

inverness caledonian-thistle holla, but rangers was the first club where an american scored a million-dollar goal when reyna's 2-0 sealed a ucl play-in against parma at ibrox

to see a european stadium go berserk for an usian.....   it was dusty that afternoon

i still follow rangers and spend money with their club shop

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's better than mls and that's all that matters

Not really.

https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/

The worst Scottish teams would be bottom dwellers just the same in MLS. And it's not like anyone that plays there has the potential to get promoted to a better league. 

Also... MLS is on the up and up. It will be a top 10 league globally within a few years. 

Edited by ztejas

On 7/16/2022 at 8:51 AM, Captain Ron said:

Wow, that second take is so bad.

The first isn’t that hot of a take. It is important for guys to get their start. It might not be where they develop to their top level, but it will get them started. 

so, in the next 4 years, the mls business model is going to transmogrify somehow so it can afford to increase the total mls payroll 5-fold to pay a core of 10 players who will be on 250k a week in europe

mls is an exhibition

5 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

it's better than mls and that's all that matters

I would say that it is weaker than the MLS, but the climate is cool, so the players run all the time. 

The league is inferior, but if your goal is to increase your speed of play, then going there from the MLS would benefit you. If that’s not an issue with you, then it is an inferior league. 

EXHIBIT A: Cristian Ramirez

-he wasn’t that clinical in the MLS.  He transfers to Scotland and he starts scoring. 

Speed of play:

Miller/Muller(?) the winger has gone to Scotland and almost never plays, because he kind of sucks, and the speed of play brings that to the forefront. 

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

so, in the next 4 years, the mls business model is going to transmogrify somehow so it can afford to increase the total mls payroll 5-fold to pay a core of 10 players who will be on 250k a week in europe

mls is an exhibition

With the designated player role, the MLS could absolutely pay the core of the USMNT to play in the league, even now. 

The bigger issue is that you’re asking a bunch of players in their prime to play in a league that would not grow their skills.

I was thinking back to 2014 and how many of our team came to the MLS after the World Cup. We missed in 2018, and true the core was older, but how many just weren’t international play sharp?

1 hour ago, Captain Ron said:

With the designated player role, the MLS could absolutely pay the core of the USMNT to play in the league, even now. 

The bigger issue is that you’re asking a bunch of players in their prime to play in a league that would not grow their skills.

MLS is going to pony $250m in transfer fees to bring them back.

/dr.evil.gif