Adventures in Birria Making

squib

Birria Tacos or Red Tacos seem to be all the rage. Decided to make an effort.

Started with chuck roast, some short ribs, guajillo chiles, Mexican oregano, onion, garlic, carrots and some water in pot. 

B1.thumb.jpg.2b4b2a83a6ad03b8079284a2fcbb48af.jpg

Got it to a boil and let the chilis hydrate in the water for 30 minutes. Starting to come together.

B2.thumb.jpg.ccf4aaaa1d26f557f4ec4c14cfc062e8.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

Ran the chilis through the blender with a little of the broth then mixed the chili sauce back into the pot. Added some chili powder at this step.

B3.thumb.jpg.14688f8ebf27371a2d72e38ccf9cc78c.jpg

After about 3 hours, I skimmed off the fat (and reserved) then removed the veggies, and shredded the meat and added back to the pot. B4.thumb.jpg.8a6c2c6a74c847233c0d20d6e063b6c9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

Much easier than I anticipated. Damn chuck roast and short ribs were crazy expensive. I never pay attention to grocery prices, but I was a bit shocked at the roast price as I was unwrapping. Will eat the left overs during the Bama/Ga game tomorrow night. 

Looks fantastic. I’ve been wanting to try this. A couple of questions…. How deep is the pot you’re using there? Looks kinda Dutch oven depth. And when you remove the fat and reserve what do you do with the rest of the liquid? And the veggies?

I think this may be my next-weekend project up here in snowy Connecticut - just need to get my hands on some chiles which are hard to source right now (and generally up here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

Looks fantastic. I’ve been wanting to try this. A couple of questions…. How deep is the pot you’re using there? Looks kinda Dutch oven depth. And when you remove the fat and reserve what do you do with the rest of the liquid? And the veggies?

I think this may be my next-weekend project up here in snowy Connecticut - just need to get my hands on some chiles which are hard to source right now (and generally up here).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pot is about 5 inches deep. With all the ingredients and seven cups of water, it was about full. 

I skimmed the fat as it cooked. Just kept putting it in a bowl next to the pot. 

When it was done, I removed everything from the pot. I put all the veggies in a colander and let it drain into a bowl that I poured back in the pot. I pressed on the veggies to get as much liquid back as I could. You can eat birrea as a soup if you want; you just leave the veggies and cube up the meat rather than shred. If I were going to serve as a soup, I would cook with more liquid. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 7:09 PM, squib said:

Much easier than I anticipated. Damn chuck roast and short ribs were crazy expensive.

Looks delicious. You've got to watch for the sales on roasts and short ribs. We do a drive by every time we're at the store and if they've got them on special we grab them up and toss them in the freezer. I make a braised short rib recipe my husband likes so I try and keep a couple of packages on hand. Our Kroger had them cheaper than HEB two weeks ago, but yes, they've definitely gone up.