2022 Texas Softball - Locked and Loaded

Js1

It appears Ford may have been running a toxic program at ASU, hence the transfers out when she left and most of them not following her (Torres to OU, Sanders to ??, Morgan to ??)

Cayden Baker who transferred from A&M after Ford came out (to GT) said: 

“Thank you transfer portal. Thank you for giving me hope. Thank you for showing me a coaching staff at Georgia Tech that loves me as a person before an athlete (Coach Snider, Evans and G did as well). Thank you God for new opportunities.”

Some good material on Texags

Spoiler

Lee hitting the portal with no word on anyone transferring in. I'm not sure how the timing on this typically works, but this isn't inspiring confidence in our new hire.
Hopefully things start to look better soon. But as of right now it's kind of yikes.

What is alarming is that it doesn't look like anybody from ASU will follow her here!!!!! She can't keep Herzog or Lee!!

I don't understand how we are losing quality pieces, no transfer or commitment announcements. She better start announcing something soon. With the hold out, I am expecting something big sooner than later.

Sharlize Palacios from Zona in the portal. Another good potential C besides Lee

RS SO
2022 (61 GP/61 GS, .326 AVG/.441 OBP/.709 SLG/1.150 OPS, 4 2B, 1 3B, 20 HR, 64 RBI, 0-0 SB, .989 fld%)
39 career HR

As has Janelle Meono. I hope Bella is reaching out to these former teammates. 

RS SO
2022 (36 GP/35 GS, .291 AVG/.362 OBP/.299 SLG/.661 OPS, 1 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 6 RBI, 4-5 SB, .955 fld%)

Edited by Js1

44 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That seems like a really big addition considering 3 years of eligibility left. 

We will have 2 full seasons of Czech, Morgan and Simpson.  Let Mike get to work with them.  

Then we have Teagan Kavan coming in the 2023 class, who was highly recruited (LSU, UW, UCLA)

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Sharlize Palacios from Zona in the portal. Another good potential C besides Lee

RS SO
2022 (61 GP/61 GS, .326 AVG/.441 OBP/.709 SLG/1.150 OPS, 4 2B, 1 3B, 20 HR, 64 RBI, 0-0 SB, .989 fld%)
39 career HR

As has Janelle Meono. I hope Bella is reaching out to these former teammates. 

RS SO
2022 (36 GP/35 GS, .291 AVG/.362 OBP/.299 SLG/.661 OPS, 1 2B, 0 3B, 0 HR, 6 RBI, 4-5 SB, .955 fld%)

Hope she was good friends with Bella 

19 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

With the addition of Morgan, and what's going on in the world of football recruiting, this has been a great week to be a HORN!!

I had a dream we got Lee and Sanders 

Also no mention of the realignment on PAC 12 softball - ASU, Arizona, Oregon, UW, Stanford. Ouch. 

Mike White happiest guy he left the Pac. 

California recruits really wanna play for KIP against the B1G dregs or whatever the fuck is left over of the PAC? 

I am having a hard time understanding how some sports are going to survive in that conference. How the hell is UCLA supposed to get their womens basketball or volleyball team to Rutgers for a Wednesday night game/match? It is a 5 hour flight in the middle of the week for a college kid. Better yet, how do the equipment bus drivers get the football gear from LA to Happy Valley and back? That is a 40 hour drive cross country. This shit makes no geographical sense.

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I am having a hard time understanding how some sports are going to survive in that conference. How the hell is UCLA supposed to get their womens basketball or volleyball team to Rutgers for a Wednesday night game/match? It is a 5 hour flight in the middle of the week for a college kid. Better yet, how do the equipment bus drivers get the football gear from LA to Happy Valley and back? That is a 40 hour drive cross country. This shit makes no geographical sense.

It’s not sustainable long term, but realignment is far from settled. By the end of the decade we’ll have 2 major conferences and teams will be split up regionally to help with travel expenses and other logistics. 

29 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Tv revenue from football of almost $100m per school may help a bit haha

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

I read somewhere only football and men's basketball are moving. If that's the case, UCLA and SC will probably join the Big West or something in the other sports. The assumption is that, relatively soon, men playing those two sports will be employees of the university, eliminating Title IX concerns for number of scholarships.

Why can't the Trojans and Bruins have 2 equipment buses, one for the West Coast and one parked in Indiana?

20 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Seems like a good hire.  Hope she knows some defense. 

Says she did defense when she was in NPF for the Dallas Charge. Wouldn’t be surprised if she had big part of that at OU, since JTG/PG are hitting and Rocha is pitching 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, quigley said:

I read somewhere only football and men's basketball are moving. If that's the case, UCLA and SC will probably join the Big West or something in the other sports.

Did you read that on a fan message board posted by a dude who has no clue what he’s talking about?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Cursory search indicates she played CF.   Member of Texas St Athletic Hall of Honor.

Left aggy Corpus after only 2 years (one a Covid year, resigned for other opportunities).    Had them moving forward after bringing 7 players from Temple.

"For Kristen, not many programs can get a head coach to come be your volunteer unless she's someone that is committed to being the best she can be," said Gasso. "She has the championship mindset; she's been at our camps and she perfectly fits our program. She is going to add a tremendous amount of knowledge to our staff and has an elite softball mind. We're really excited about her joining us."

https://soonersports.com/staff-directory/kristen-zaleski/230

• Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Did you read that on a fan message board posted by a dude who has no clue what he’s talking about?

There was early reporting that other sports weren't moving. UCLA's press release says all sports are moving.

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

There was early reporting that other sports weren't moving. UCLA's press release says all sports are moving.

Which reporters?

There’s never been any talk of just certain sports moving. Common sense would tell you that.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Which reporters?

There’s never been any talk of just certain sports moving. Common sense would tell you that.

I admitted it was wrong, and now you want me to search for a wrong report. Thanks, but no.

As far as common sense, there are schools that have some sports in one conference and other sports in a different one. BYU, Az St are examples so it wouldn't have been unprecedented. As others here have have said, flying non-revenue sports across the country for mid-week games doesn't make much sense either. The UCLA release specifically mentions this problem.

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

I admitted it was wrong, and now you want me to search for a wrong report. Thanks, but no.

As far as common sense, there are schools that have some sports in one conference and other sports in a different one. BYU, Az St are examples so it wouldn't have been unprecedented. As others here have have said, flying non-revenue sports across the country for mid-week games doesn't make much sense either. The UCLA release specifically mentions this problem.

Arizona State competes in the PAC 12 in the major sports. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And why do you suppose they don’t compete in the pac12 in hockey?

I was giving examples of schools having other statuses. Az St hockey came to mind. There are other examples, Notre Dame football.

36 minutes ago, quigley said:

You didn’t admit you were wrong.  You skirted around it. 

There are no P5 schools with major sports competing in separate conferences.  Hockey isn’t a major sport.  Neither is wrestling.

do better or go back to soonerfans. 

10 minutes ago, Pancho said:

You didn’t admit you were wrong.  You skirted around it. 

There are no P5 schools with major sports competing in separate conferences.  Hockey isn’t a major sport.  Neither is wrestling.

do better or go back to soonerfans. 

When did we decide prior prior paradigms govern current practice? Is it typical to have schools in NJ and CA in the  same conference?

Common sense wouldn't predict it either.

When you're flaming people, please recall the context in which the comment was made. @FloridaHorn remains right:

How the hell is UCLA supposed to get their womens basketball or volleyball team to Rutgers for a Wednesday night game/match? It is a 5 hour flight in the middle of the week for a college kid. Better yet, how do the equipment bus drivers get the football gear from LA to Happy Valley and back? That is a 40 hour drive cross country. This shit makes no geographical sense.

20 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

What about her past makes you think this is a good hire? She had very underwhelming results as a head coach and was a volunteer assistant at OU. She may turn out to be Patty Gasso 2.0, but she is closer to Connie Clark 2.0 at this point. I hope I am wrong, but there were many more qualified candidates out there.

14 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

What about her past makes you think this is a good hire? She had very underwhelming results as a head coach and was a volunteer assistant at OU. She may turn out to be Patty Gasso 2.0, but she is closer to Connie Clark 2.0 at this point. I hope I am wrong, but there were many more qualified candidates out there.

Almost everything I’ve read has said the opposite. Even OU fans are saying this is a good hire. 

8 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Almost everything I’ve read has said the opposite. Even OU fans are saying this is a good hire. 

I hope it’s a home run hire, I just think there were better options out there. I would have rather had a sure fire dedicated defensive coach.

I also don't understand how you can say Zaleski had underwhelming results as a head coach.

These were the number of wins A&M CC had 3 years prior to Zaleski (12, 14, and 8). It was arguably the worst softball program in the country. In her first full season at A&M CC they won 18 games. She wisely left that job because nobody is moving up the ranks at a job like that. It's a dead end job. 

Zaleski also had a lot of success at Temple Junior College which is a lower level but I don't see how you can interpret these results as "underwhelming." OU wouldn't have hired her as the 3rd assistant on their staff unless they thought she was good. Yes, I know it was voluntary role but that's still a highly sought after position at OU. 

6 minutes ago, TexasIsBetter said:

She's a great coach and great recruiter. Players love her. She'll be a head coach at a "p5" school after Texas 

Mike’s last 2 defensive coaches both got HC jobs, somehow. So yeah, probably 

She seems like she’s on an upward trajectory. Plus, PG thought highly enough of her to put her on her staff.
  • Hook 'Em 1