TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

Baines!

It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Saw the The Fallen Idol for the first time.  Carol Reed, Graham Green and Alexander Korda all involved.  The Third Man is one of my favorite movies - the naive and cynical sides of the two Americans contrasted with the war weariness of the Europeans.  So many great scenes with unforced humor such as Holly lecturing on modern literature. The zither music and the cinematography is outstanding.  

Still mulling over this one.  May have to watch again.  

Just now, dogbreath said:

The Third Man is one of my favorite movies - the naive and cynical sides of the two Americans contrasted with the war weariness of the Europeans.  So many great scenes with unforced humor such as Holly lecturing on modern literature. The zither music and the cinematography is outstanding.  

Knew it was a classic the first time I watched it (several dozen viewings ago). The soundtrack is what seals the deal. It's constant, never wavering until the end. Fits the story perfectly.

17 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Saw the The Fallen Idol for the first time.  Carol Reed, Graham Green and Alexander Korda all involved.  The Third Man is one of my favorite movies - the naive and cynical sides of the two Americans contrasted with the war weariness of the Europeans.  So many great scenes with unforced humor such as Holly lecturing on modern literature. The zither music and the cinematography is outstanding.  

Still mulling over this one.  May have to watch again.  

I love it.  In three years he did Odd Man Out, Fallen Idol and Third Man.  To me, Fallen Idol is the best with it's camerawork and the crazy tone -- you just don't know where it is going or how far it will go.  Maybe it's because I just didn't know what to expect. 

Way behind, but watched an hour or so of The Red Shoes a few days ago.  Powell and Pressburger to me seem to be the most under appreciated of all the classic directors.  This flick is outstanding (I convinced my family to watch it a while back, they uniformly hated it, which means it's good).  It's portrayal of the theater life seems amazingly modern and flamboyantly gay.  Everything from the titles on is just pretty as hell.

0Jt38nrurUOSNv92Y4ZgMQDaHgW4UtYbsW19T-pW

And Moria Shearer does redheads (and powell/pressberger crazy broads) proud.

• Like 1

Surprised to see Silverado. Outstanding cast with Glenn, Kline, Costner and a strong supporting cast. It was buried by Back to the Future when it was released, but still a solid western and highly rewatchable. The Kasdans did a great job. Didn't know it received 2 nominations for sound and score. Hate to admit it, but I like Costner in this. He's completely out of character and actually acts.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Surprised to see Silverado. Outstanding cast with Glenn, Kline, Costner and a strong supporting cast. It was buried by Back to the Future when it was released, but still a solid western and highly rewatchable. The Kasdans did a great job. Didn't know it received 2 nominations for sound and score. Hate to admit it, but I like Costner in this. He's completely out of character and actually acts.

You’d never seen Silverado before? Great flick, great cast, great writing, great cinematography, great wardrobe. GQ had a feature about the wardrobe design when it first came out. That was my introduction to Kevin Costner and I was a fan. I wouldn’t say he was out of character, I’d say he was in character. He’s made a lot of crap but he’s done some good work too. Check out Field of Dreams if you’ve never seen it. ;)

That opening scene where Scott Glenn is in that little cabin and shoots off his attackers, all filmed from inside, and then he opens the door to reveal that wide open landscape was such a perfect intro. It grabs you right from the start.

Also, John Cleese rules, from “What’s all this then?” to “Today, my jurisdiction ends here.”

44 minutes ago, DougO said:

I remember really enjoying Silverado back in the theater in its original release. But over time it seems progressively more cheesy.

It's got a bit of a sappy/trite thing going on at times, but how many great westerns don't  ?  I think it holds up well for what it is, and still enjoy it. Costner is great in that role BTW.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:33 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

You’d never seen Silverado before? Great flick, great cast, great writing, great cinematography, great wardrobe. GQ had a feature about the wardrobe design when it first came out. That was my introduction to Kevin Costner and I was a fan. I wouldn’t say he was out of character, I’d say he was in character. He’s made a lot of crap but he’s done some good work too. Check out Field of Dreams if you’ve never seen it. ;)

That opening scene where Scott Glenn is in that little cabin and shoots off his attackers, all filmed from inside, and then he opens the door to reveal that wide open landscape was such a perfect intro. It grabs you right from the start.

Also, John Cleese rules, from “What’s all this then?” to “Today, my jurisdiction ends here.”

Eh, they should have let that little shit Augie die. 

Costner was great in Mr. Brooks and especially A Perfect World.  He's great in Silverado.

trollI think the people that underestimate his acting are people who deep down know that his more popular movies that had some critical applause, like Field of Dreams and Dances w/Wolves, aren't all that greattroll

The Letter - Directed by William Wyler. Husband and wife are Herbert Marshall and Bette Davis set in Malaysia/Singapore.  Wife cheats, wife lies, wife dies. The attorney stands out in this, but all the main actors do as well as the moon.  Something seemed familiar when watching this.

Yes. Wyler directed Little Foxes with Marshall and Davis playing the husband and wife.  Amazing film, well acted and a lovely story by Mrs. Dashiell Hammett. 

Back to back years, 1940-1941. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, miguelito said:

I was hoping to catch up on some recorded movies this weekend.  It won't help if I keep recording more.  Oh well.

That is my issue as well. Now that summer is rolling around and there is more stuff to do outside it makes it tough to catch up.

Oddball: [groans] Don’t hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning. Think the bridge will be there and it will be there. It’s a mother, beautiful bridge, and it’s gonna be there. Ok?

Oddball: [Later: Oddball is looking through binoculars at the bridge] Still up!

Oddball: [planes fly and bomb the bridge] … No it ain’t. See what sending out them negative waves did, Moriarty?

Moriarty: That ain’t my fault, Oddball, I’ve done nothing but have good thoughts about that damn bridge ever since we left!

On 12/14/2020 at 11:33 PM, DougO said:

Not TCM, but SonyHD channel has been sporadically showing Sahara, Humphrey Bogart WWII tank movie. It is such an under the radar movie for a Bogey film, which rarely ever shows on TV. I think it's supposed to be on Wednesday at 1:50PM in case you want to set a dvr. Really good war flick.

Wow, I had no idea there was a remake of Sarah in 1995. Starring...James Belushi? LOL

It's on Sony Movies channel right now, but I don't think I'll be able to hang long. Bel-ogey seems like a poor fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Mrs. Llama and I have been bingeing Hitchcock TCM all weekend and loving it 95% of the time but decidedly veered during Vertigo - seemed as if the script was being written by monkeys on 1,000 different typewriters.  Nice postcard for late 50s Bay Area, though.

TCM has started cold opening films with credits run at the end - interesting!  Bravo TCM, preserving the fast talking, short tie, high pants wearing movies for posterity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

Mrs. Llama and I have been bingeing Hitchcock TCM all weekend and loving it 95% of the time but decidedly veered during Vertigo - seemed as if the script was being written by monkeys on 1,000 different typewriters.  Nice postcard for late 50s Bay Area, though.

TCM has started cold opening films with credits run at the end - interesting!  Bravo TCM, preserving the fast talking, short tie, high pants wearing movies for posterity.

I don’t get the love for Vertigo. That didn’t do it for me. And I have a fear of falling. And I like Jimmy Stewart. It just didn’t move the needle. Also, it’s the only DVD I ever bought that went bad on me and had to be thrown away. Seems fitting. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck