Better Call Saul: Season 6

Lurch

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

From a poetic standpoint the finale was okay but it was entirely unbelievable imo.  80+ years instead of 7 just to have a chance to be in the good graces of your ex wife? And you couldn’t be with her even if she wanted you back, because you’re incarcerated for 80 fucking years? 

One of the best shows of all time but the finale didn’t hold up at all imo.

Undefeated. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

I differ with Troph on a few things. Compliments on spoilering your comments which reminds me to do the same. 

Spoiler

I agree that the finale was only a little better than okay, but I disagree about the narrowness of his motivations. He has no chance at all, IMHO, of getting back with Kim. His attempt to talk to her on the phone was a failure of Saul. In the cell where he sees the reference to an attorney who will ream your ass or some such, he starts laughing in near but not complete hysteria. I think that moment marks when he sheds Saul and returns to being Jimmy.

Jimmy, at last, outgrows his little brother complex and embraces that Chuck is actually exemplary. He faces the destructive reality of Slippin' Jimmy and Saul Goodman. The only chance he has of seeing Kim and expressing his switch back to the man she loved before he drew her into his scams and scheming. His speech in court brings contrition to the survivors of the dead. Kim's visit in prison is a surprise to him. They know it's that last time they'll meet.

All this is great stuff to underpin an episode, but the creative team, for maybe the only time ever, fumbles the details. Kim is living in her own metaphorical prison, but they make it too drab. They don't know that world as intimately as the one they created with Breaking Bad. The whole thing is shorthand and without nuance.

The time machine notion wasn't played as well as you would expect. I didn't like the book on the table. The episode also doesn't find a true climax. The creators may have left themselves too many loose ends for one episode.

Great series. It isn't diminshed by the shortcomings of the finale which is still a solid episode. It just doesn't sing like every other one going back to Walter failing to kill himself in the opening episode of Breaking Bad.

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I differ with Troph on a few things. Compliments on spoilering your comments which reminds me to do the same. 

Hide contents

I agree that the finale was only a little better than okay, but I disagree about the narrowness of his motivations. He has no chance at all, IMHO, of getting back with Kim. His attempt to talk to her on the phone was a failure of Saul. In the cell where he sees the reference to an attorney who will ream your ass or some such, he starts laughing in near but not complete hysteria. I think that moment marks when he sheds Saul and returns to being Jimmy.

Jimmy, at last, outgrows his little brother complex and embraces that Chuck is actually exemplary. He faces the destructive reality of Slippin' Jimmy and Saul Goodman. The only chance he has of seeing Kim and expressing his switch back to the man she loved before he drew her into his scams and scheming. His speech in court brings contrition to the survivors of the dead. Kim's visit in prison is a surprise to him. They know it's that last time they'll meet.

All this is great stuff to underpin an episode, but the creative team, for maybe the only time ever, fumbles the details. Kim is living in her own metaphorical prison, but they make it too drab. They don't know that world as intimately as the one they created with Breaking Bad. The whole thing is shorthand and without nuance.

The time machine notion wasn't played as well as you would expect. I didn't like the book on the table. The episode also doesn't find a true climax. The creators may have left themselves too many loose ends for one episode.

Great series. It isn't diminshed by the shortcomings of the finale which is still a solid episode. It just doesn't sing like every other one going back to Walter failing to kill himself in the opening episode of Breaking Bad.

Spoiler

All I’m saying is it’s entirely unrealistic to trade 7 years in prison for 80+ years just so you can show your ex you have changed. There’s no way anyone does it that way. I suspect he would do it another way or at least try another way.  

As for Kim and Jimmy/Saul transformation I agree with you. I quibble only on the one piece of trading 80 years for 7 just to show contrition. I don’t buy it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 9:19 AM, troph said:
  Hide contents

From a poetic standpoint the finale was okay but it was entirely unbelievable imo.  80+ years instead of 7 just to have a chance to be in the good graces of your ex wife? And you couldn’t be with her even if she wanted you back, because you’re incarcerated for 80 fucking years? 

One of the best shows of all time but the finale didn’t hold up at all imo.

Undefeated. 

i was actually coming here to post something very similar.

• 2 months later...
On 8/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

RIP Hector.

One of the greatest villains in television history. The Breaking Bad flashbacks are chilling. 

I lived down the hall from him in New York (I think it was a place he kept for when he was working in NYC). It was around the time I had a newborn and a three year old and let’s just say, he’s not a fan of kids. Very mercurial neighbor. But a great actor. 

Regarding the BCS finale:

Spoiler

If Saul was truly contrite and returning to be “good” Jimmy I thought two things were odd.  First, historically, Kim and Jimmy always shared a smoke when they were being conspiratorial and “bad” together.  Second, he does the double guns thing at the end as she’s leaving for the last time - again, seems more Saul than Jimmy in that moment.  Also the fact that he wore his most outrageously “Saul” outfit in the final courtroom appearance.  

• Hook 'Em 4

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...