ABIA to Europe (airplane question/discussion)

Chet Steadman

As Austin grows we’re seeing a lot more in the way of direct flights from our lovely city across the pond.  I’m thinking about taking the family to London this summer and would like some of surly’s input on flights.  I fly quite a bit domestically but it’s been years since I did any transatlantic travel.  

BA is now offering their nonstop to LHR on the A350-1000.  Virgin Atlantic begins in a few weeks on the new Dreamliner.  We’re doing another trip later this year to Switzerland so I’m not springing for the first class on this trip, likely just premium+ for London.  

With that in mind, which is the “nicer”, more enjoyable airline experience between the two?  Everything I’ve done in the past with Virgin has been excellent but I believe the 350 is the much newer plane, correct?  Not really worried about a couple hundred dollars difference if it yields a more comfortable, easier 9.5 hr ride.  

If you are wanting to base the decision on airline experience then you really should only be focused on the "soft" product of each. I've never flown virgin, so I can't help there, but I wouldn't worry about comparing 787 and A350 for what you are looking for.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Get on websites like thepointsguy, they always have reviews of various airlines cabin experiences. It should help you compare. I do a lot of international business class flying but it’s usually on KLM, delta, United, or Lufthansa, so I can’t help you out on this particular one. 

• Like 1

We flew nonstop from Austin to Heathrow on a BA 747 (premium economy) in July of 2018. Nice flight, decent meals served. 
If we had to do it over again, I’d book directly through the BA site (If they were the only nonstop carrier)instead of AAA.

On our first full day out in London, Mrs. Brat fell down some stairs in the crypt at St. Paul’s cathedral.... breaking her wrist badly along with bashing her face and injuring her legs so she couldn’t walk. We spent the next 7 hours in a London hospital ER. 
As a result we had to cut our planned one month tour of England & France short, and had to rebook our return flight so she could have the repair surgery done back in Austin. The earliest return flight we could get was five days later. 
When dealing with the BA agent, they said since we had booked through another agency in the first place, instead of paying the $300 change fee, they wanted $3,000 to rebook. After a half hour of pleading, BA reduced it to a $1,500 charge.

Luckily I had bought trip insurance through the AAA for about $250 that covered our losses. They paid us for the $1500 rebook upcharge for the return flight, and also for the $4,500 I lost on the one week Paris apartment rental (Missed the cancellation deadline).
After filing the insurance claim, it took about 2 or 3 weeks to get the reimbursement check.
We did not have to make a claim for London medical expenses, as there was no charge from the hospital ER.

All the surgery/rehab done in Austin was covered by our Medicare, but the trip insurance would have paid for most any charges from overseas, including up to $25,000 medivac if that had been necessary.

Something for family travelers to think about.

We intend to return to London to finish our England tour within a year, bur will fly with Virgin....fuck British Air. 
(because of their highway robbery, and the fact that the FA would not let The crippled up Mrs. Brat take one of the several empty business class reclining seats we could see in the cabin directly in front of ours)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We intend to return to London to finish our England tour within a year, bur will fly with Virgin....fuck British Air. 
(because of their highway robbery, and the fact that the FA would not let The crippled up Mrs. Brat take one of the several empty business class reclining seats we could see in the cabin directly in front of ours)

To be fair to BA no airline is going to let someone use a lay flat just because it is empty. 

United turned a plane around recently because two passengers would not unseat themselves from business class seats they didn’t pay for. 

But OP should go on Virgin. I’ve only flown Virgin Australia and the business class product was great. I don’t know about 787 but there is a bar on the 777. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

We flew nonstop from Austin to Heathrow on a BA 747 (premium economy) in July of 2018. Nice flight, decent meals served. 
If we had to do it over again, I’d book directly through the BA site (If they were the only nonstop carrier)instead of AAA.

On our first full day out in London, Mrs. Brat fell down some stairs in the crypt at St. Paul’s cathedral.... breaking her wrist badly along with bashing her face and injuring her legs so she couldn’t walk. We spent the next 7 hours in a London hospital ER. 
As a result we had to cut our planned one month tour of England & France short, and had to rebook our return flight so she could have the repair surgery done back in Austin. The earliest return flight we could get was five days later. 
When dealing with the BA agent, they said since we had booked through another agency in the first place, instead of paying the $300 change fee, they wanted $3,000 to rebook. After a half hour of pleading, BA reduced it to a $1,500 charge.

Luckily I had bought trip insurance through the AAA for about $250 that covered our losses. They paid us for the $1500 rebook upcharge for the return flight, and also for the $4,500 I lost on the one week Paris apartment rental (Missed the cancellation deadline).
After filing the insurance claim, it took about 2 or 3 weeks to get the reimbursement check.
We did not have to make a claim for London medical expenses, as there was no charge from the hospital ER.

All the surgery/rehab done in Austin was covered by our Medicare, but the trip insurance would have paid for most any charges from overseas, including up to $25,000 medivac if that had been necessary.

Something for family travelers to think about.

this is why you always buy travel insurance

5 hours ago, Chet Steadman said:

As Austin grows we’re seeing a lot more in the way of direct flights from our lovely city across the pond.  I’m thinking about taking the family to London this summer and would like some of surly’s input on flights.  I fly quite a bit domestically but it’s been years since I did any transatlantic travel.  

BA is now offering their nonstop to LHR on the A350-1000.  Virgin Atlantic begins in a few weeks on the new Dreamliner.  We’re doing another trip later this year to Switzerland so I’m not springing for the first class on this trip, likely just premium+ for London.  

With that in mind, which is the “nicer”, more enjoyable airline experience between the two?  Everything I’ve done in the past with Virgin has been excellent but I believe the 350 is the much newer plane, correct?  Not really worried about a couple hundred dollars difference if it yields a more comfortable, easier 9.5 hr ride.  

787 has cool color changing window tint. Otherwise it don't make a shit in economy

Edited by The Fantastic Dr. Scrote

We did the BA flight to London a year or 2 before covid.   Their first class tickets are ridiculous or at least they were then.  Upgrading one ticket for the flight back would have been $25,000.  We don't do first class often, usually only do it for really long flights, but KLM has been my favorite by far.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

We did the BA flight to London a year or 2 before covid.   Their first class tickets are ridiculous or at least they were then.  Upgrading one ticket for the flight back would have been $25,000.  We don't do first class often, usually only do it for really long flights, but KLM has been my favorite by far.

much, much better experience flying into Schilpol for sure, and you avoid the ridiculous UK/Heathrow fees. And once you're on the ground in Europe, it's generally cheap as fuck to go on to somewhere else.

Not to mention that the cost of flying BA direct from Austin is usurious.

I avoid Heathrow at all costs. A fucking zoo.

Edited by The Fantastic Dr. Scrote

15 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

Y’all need to be buying these flights with miles!!!

My mileage balance is at an all time high because I haven’t traveled international in two years and my wife has bought stupid shit with the CCs. I can’t be the only one this is true for.  

Yep.  I'm sitting on almost a million CSR points right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, Armybrat said:

They don't give away business class, and it's ridiculous of you to expect them to do so.  Aside from the reclining seat, business-class passengers get better food and better booze.  And the galley is stocked based on how many business-class passengers are on the flight.  

So if they were to put an economy passenger in business, they'd have to do one of two things: 1) run the risk of running out of a meal or a wine because they have an unexpected person in business, or 2) keep track of which person shouldn't be getting the business-class meal service throughout the flight (and that's not really feasible for a busy flight crew).

Pro-tip.  If there are empty seats, they will sell you a business class seat at the ticket counter when you check your luggage.  Last time I checked, it was something like $350/pp.

On 3/13/2022 at 6:54 PM, The Fantastic Dr. Scrote said:

much, much better experience flying into Schilpol for sure, and you avoid the ridiculous UK/Heathrow fees. And once you're on the ground in Europe, it's generally cheap as fuck to go on to somewhere else.

Not to mention that the cost of flying BA direct from Austin is usurious.

I avoid Heathrow at all costs. A fucking zoo.

I agree with this.  AMS is a better airport than LHR.  And I have to expect that with Brexit, it's a whole lot easier to connect to other European destinations out of AMS, as well.

I will tell you that the A330 that KLM is flying out of AUS is not great.  It has no Wifi, and the business-class section is in a 2-2-2 configuration, which is not ideal.

On 3/13/2022 at 7:47 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Pre-COVID, I flew BA Business Class quite regularly.  The newer planes have a decent product.  I’m to fly Virgin Upper Class in May, so can report back then.  

Virgin 787 Upper Class is just not competitive with BA's Club World on the A350.  Virgin's Upper Class has a weird 1-1-1 configuration.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  The seats are angled about 45* inward, with the center and starboard seats facing the starboard aisle.  The seats are super narrow and have really minimal storage.  And your feet fell like they're sticking out in the aisle (which they kind of are).

BA has an updated seat on the A350.  They've installed the Collins Aerospace Super Diamond reverse herringbone seats, which are in a 1-2-1 configuration.  Those seats are on a bunch of airlines, but BA has added a door for extra privacy.

• Like 1

Anyone flown out of ABIA to Europe on Lufthansa?

I've been looking at BA, KLM, and Lufthansa for possible trips to Europe.    Google Flights is a pretty cool tool to map out times and connections.

It looks like BA flies daily out of ABIA where as KLM and Lufthansa fly in/out only on certain days.   My concern with KLM and Lufthansa is number of flights I've looked at coming back to ABIA is the connection time is pretty tight with KLM and Lufthansa if you are trying to stick with the same carrier for the flight back.     Upside with those two however is you can use  their partner/code share agreements to get you to the hub so you can get catch the direct flight to Austin.    Lufthansa I think owns the likes of SWISS, Austrian and couple of budget airlines in Europe.   KLM is pretty big with their code shares with Air France, Alitalia (now ITA)  and a few of budget carriers too.    On the other hand, BA is basically tied with Iberia out of Spain and that's about it, but they do have easier connection times for most of their flights from places like Athens, Rome, Madrid, etc.  At the end of the day, trying to get back on a direct flight to Austin from Europe is preferable than a multi hour layover at a dump like JFK.

Here's hoping ABIA will get an Asian bound carrier in the near future.  ANA would be ideal.   Singapore air would rock too.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If driving is a possibility for you, KLM has a bunch of flights out of IAH.

It's an option  as ABIA and IAH are basically the same distance  for me right now as I live in Corpus save the traffic headaches in Houston which make the trip to IAH longer.   I can take the Toll Road and avoid all of that to get to ABIA.   In a few years we hope to be in the SA/Austin area so ABIA will super convenient.

15 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

They don't give away business class, and it's ridiculous of you to expect them to do so.  Aside from the reclining seat, business-class passengers get better food and better booze.  And the galley is stocked based on how many business-class passengers are on the flight.  

So if they were to put an economy passenger in business, they'd have to do one of two things: 1) run the risk of running out of a meal or a wine because they have an unexpected person in business, or 2) keep track of which person shouldn't be getting the business-class meal service throughout the flight (and that's not really feasible for a busy flight crew).

Pro-tip.  If there are empty seats, they will sell you a business class seat at the ticket counter when you check your luggage.  Last time I checked, it was something like $350/pp.

I agree with this.  AMS is a better airport than LHR.  And I have to expect that with Brexit, it's a whole lot easier to connect to other European destinations out of AMS, as well.

I will tell you that the A330 that KLM is flying out of AUS is not great.  It has no Wifi, and the business-class section is in a 2-2-2 configuration, which is not ideal.

Virgin 787 Upper Class is just not competitive with BA's Club World on the A350.  Virgin's Upper Class has a weird 1-1-1 configuration.  I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.  The seats are angled about 45* inward, with the center and starboard seats facing the starboard aisle.  The seats are super narrow and have really minimal storage.  And your feet fell like they're sticking out in the aisle (which they kind of are).

BA has an updated seat on the A350.  They've installed the Collins Aerospace Super Diamond reverse herringbone seats, which are in a 1-2-1 configuration.  Those seats are on a bunch of airlines, but BA has added a door for extra privacy.

The BA 777s have been retrofitted with similar suites for the NY flights.

im on the Virgin A350 for this flight, so I think their suite is similar to the BA suite on that plane.  The seats are 1-2-1 ina reverse herringbone, so all have aisle access and those on the windows actually face the windows.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/15/2022 at 2:13 PM, Ghost of LL said:

So if they were to put an economy passenger in business, they'd have to do one of two things: 1) run the risk of running out of a meal or a wine because they have an unexpected person in business, or 2) keep track of which person shouldn't be getting the business-class meal service throughout the flight (and that's not really feasible for a busy flight crew)..

Posts #7 &8 already set me straight on their policies, or were you just eager to pile on?

I fairly regularly fly the KLM 787s and have flown the Lufthansa Business class experience enough to know that KLM is light years ahead of the Germans. 

the Lufthansa experience is very Teutonic in that there is not much luxury about it. The seats are usually shitty and small (width wise) and often in a 2-2-2. 
The  Dutch ladies are usually friendlier flight attendants as well. 

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Aren’t their nonstops to Amsterdam? 

Yes that’s correct. Figure I’d rather fly KLM and rather transit Amsterdam than London since I’m gonna have to catch a second flight anyway. 

Edited by MidTexHorn