Chile

ATexanAbroad

51 minutes ago, ATexanAbroad said:

I will post pics and you can confirm when I have eaten the right street food with lots of corn

Its kind of like a drink and my current laziness does not allow me to look it up but its pretty popular there.  You can get it at a stand at the base of the funicular in Santiago.

It's called Mote con Huesillo, and it's really good.

Do you speak Spanish?  Chilean accents are ridiculous to understand. 

When my wife and I went in 2017, we stayed in Santiago for a few days and did a bus trip to Valparaiso and Viña del Mar, which was really cool, but my favorite part of that trip was visiting the glacier, I think the region was called Cajón del Maipo and it was like nothing I've seen before.  We took a 3 hour bus trip through the Andes and it was incredible once we got there.

After a few days we actually took a flight to Puerto Varas and loved it, it kinda had German influences and was a lot more comfortable than being in Santiago.  From there we actually took a bus to cross the border into Patagonia in Argentina.

Have fun, I love South America.  What are you doing there that allows you to travel so much. Tengo mucha envidia.

Aren’t there some nice Nazi villages in Chile you could check out? Make sure to grow out a Hitler stache before you go and film reactions.

This is a good thing to pull for any fun occasion. Just get on a zoom call with a Hitler stache and gauge the reactions. It’s always a guaranteed dismissal from jury duty.

Chileans love their native wines and Pisco Sour's.  Where will you be going?  The north is dominated by deserts, the middle is gloriously temperate this time of year (fall is starting) and the south will be stormy but remind you of the US Pacific NW.

Pisco Sour for reference:

IMG_7465.jpg

59 minutes ago, Grippe said:

Chileans love their native wines and Pisco Sour's.  Where will you be going?  The north is dominated by deserts, the middle is gloriously temperate this time of year (fall is starting) and the south will be stormy but remind you of the US Pacific NW.

Pisco Sour for reference:

IMG_7465.jpg

I love a good Pisco Sour. Chile and Peru always argue about who created it, and my goal was always to try as many as possible purely for research purposes. 

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Funny timing. Cooking Channel has been replaying random episodes of Bourdain's older No Reservations series, and I was watching the Chile episode off the DVR just yesterday. 

Gonna need you to try one of these, bud:

Completos are phenomenal and one of the things I miss from when I used to go to Chile once or twice a year. Never missed having at least one. 

Edited by Mo Horn

Wow, ok so many responses. So I met a girl and she’s from Santiago so I’m going to stay with her for about a month. Going to fly up north and do the desert and pop into Bolivia. Road tripping down south. I do speak enough Spanish and I am looking forward to wine, food, definitely trying a completo, etc. I get there in a couple weeks and will post pics of everything.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Wow, ok so many responses. So I met a girl and she’s from Santiago so I’m going to stay with her for about a month. Going to fly up north and do the desert and pop into Bolivia. Road tripping down south. I do speak enough Spanish and I am looking forward to wine, food, definitely trying a completo, etc. I get there in a couple weeks and will post pics of everything.

Might have been mentioned before, but Chilean Spanish struck me as tough to understand. I had an easier time in Argentina, if that tells you anything.

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Might have been mentioned before, but Chilean Spanish struck me as tough to understand. I had an easier time in Argentina, if that tells you anything.

Yea I have the Chilean girl with me so I will let her do everything, especially in bed

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

FYI, google flights says no flights to Easter Island right now.

Yea I looked and it seems like they are still closed to tourists, were going to open up in Feb, announcement delayed until March or sometime soon. Would be pretty cool to get out there first after them not having tourists in over 2 years. That has been the most fun thing about traveling the past two years. I have been gone from my home since March 2020 when they announced we could work remote.

Travel has been cheaper, easier, and with less people than ever in my life.

Chile is kind of a pain to get into right now, especially compared to other south american countries so I am hoping the number of toursits is still pretty low. Flights were dirt cheap I suspect for this reason. I got a flight from Bogota to Santiago for $151. You have to apply and send the govt all your documentation and prove your identity and be approved before you can enter, then buy travel insurance, fill out some more paperwork, PCR test etc. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad

1 hour ago, iodeac said:

Nice, what do you do? I would move to Colombia in a heartbeat if I could.

Also since you're going to Bolivia, do you plan on going to the salt flats? It's on my bucket list

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Yea, so what I am doing is flying to Calama in Northern Chile on the Atacama Desert. Taking the bus to San Pedro de Atacama, spendning a night or two there. Then you get picked up in a Landcruiser, driven to Bolivia on a 3 day tour where you do all the shit there is in the area and sleeping in the mountains and what not. Ends in Uyani and will spend a day or two there before busing back to Chile to catch the return flight back to Santiago from Calama. About 8 days in total planned.

I am booked on April 28th. Arrive in Santiago the 15th. At some point going to do the wine thing. After that heading to the south and doing some German shit. My mother is German and my grandmother Austrian. 

Edited by ATexanAbroad
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ATexanAbroad said:

Yea, so what I am doing is flying to Calama in Northern Chile on the Atacama Desert. Taking the bus to San Pedro de Atacama, spendning a night or two there. Then you get picked up in a Landcruiser, driven to Bolivia on a 3 day tour where you do all the shit there is in the area and sleeping in the mountains and what not. Ends in Uyani and will spend a day or two there before busing back to Chile to catch the return flight back to Santiago from Calama. About 8 days in total planned.

I am booked on April 28th. Arrive in Santiago the 15th. At some point going to do the wine thing. After that heading to the south and doing some German shit. My mother is German and my grandmother Austrian. 

So jealous

• 1 year later...

BUMP

Chile is next on my international travel list.  Going with the same buddy that went to SE Asia with me.  Just starting my research. Looking at September/October ish.  Which looks to be shoulder season.  Probably 9 days including travel.  I could go up to 14 but his work is more demanding.  I do a ton of solo travel so going early or staying longer is no big deal. Is is worth it to drive over to Mendoza?  Or should we just focus on Chile?   Demographic.  both 52.  We like a mix of art, outdoors, food, wine, walking tours, bike tours, coffee etc. We don't Clark Griswold.  Spend half the day touring.  The other half sitting by the pool.

Edited by midtown

4 hours ago, midtown said:

BUMP

Chile is next on my international travel list.  Going with the same buddy that went to SE Asia with me.  Just starting my research. Looking at September/October ish.  Which looks to be shoulder season.  Probably 9 days including travel.  I could go up to 14 but his work is more demanding.  I do a ton of solo travel so going early or staying longer is no big deal. Is is worth it to drive over to Mendoza?  Or should we just focus on Chile?   Demographic.  both 52.  We like a mix of art, outdoors, food, wine, walking tours, bike tours, coffee etc. We don't Clark Griswold.  Spend half the day touring.  The other half sitting by the pool.

I was with a group who drove from Santiago to Mendoza. All day trip, but gorgeous, so 2 days out of your trip if you drive both ways. I didn't get to do anything fun in Mendoza because it was for work and colleagues weren't into that.  Assholes, lol. I would love to spend a lot of time there. If you like wine Mendoza should be high on your list. It's the home of Malbec. Chile is also great for wine. 

• 5 months later...

Leaving on a big jet plane today at 4pm.  I splurged and paid the $600 extra for the lie flat Polaris.  I felt lke that was a great deal considering they wanted $2400 extra for that seat two days ago.  12 days.  Santiago then rent a car and drive over to Valapariaso and then two back in Santiago.  No hotels set on the way back so maybe a night out of Santiago  We did not think we had time to make it down to Patagonia. Lots of day trips out of Santiago into wine regions etc. 

Staying here for the first 6 days

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/sclpvup-ola-santiago-providencia/

Then here in Vin del Mar

https://all.accor.com/hotel/B463/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, midtown said:

Leaving on a big jet plane today at 4pm.  I splurged and paid the $600 extra for the lie flat Polaris.  I felt lke that was a great deal considering they wanted $2400 extra for that seat two days ago.  12 days.  Santiago then rent a car and drive over to Valapariaso and then two back in Santiago.  No hotels set on the way back so maybe a night out of Santiago  We did not think we had time to make it down to Patagonia. Lots of day trips out of Santiago into wine regions etc. 

Staying here for the first 6 days

https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/sclpvup-ola-santiago-providencia/

Then here in Vin del Mar

https://all.accor.com/hotel/B463/index.en.shtml?utm_campaign=seo+maps&utm_medium=seo+maps&utm_source=google+Maps

Nice! If you want a quick two-day getaway (or even in one early/late day vist) from Santiago, you can fly to Pucon in the lake region in 1h 20m. It's gorgeous with cool German culture and close to Parque Nacional Villarrica which dominates the backdrop. 

Went to a Colo Colo match Thursday night.  Paid $17 a ticket for GA.  You ID is your ticket.  You never actually show a ticket.  We did have a hell of a time finding where to get in the stadium.  We followed the crowd to one entrance which I guess was the crazy fan entrance.  Had to walk all the way around to the other side.  They kept typing in our passport numbers(which were linked to our tickets) and kept point us to another entrance.  They must have a hooligan/gang issue here because they set up a perimeter way out from the stadium and you arent allowed anywhere near the stadium without a ticket.   At least one search/wanding.   We did have some fans kind of fucking with us.  In my not so good spanish they offered to sell their girlfriends for some beer.   Two white blue eyed dudes stick out here. 

PXL_20230914_220133436.jpgPXL_20230915_204023040.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

Oh and for those considering a visit.  Work on your spanish. You will need it.  My spanish is probably a 5 and its not easy for me.  There is pretty much zero English outside of the hotel.  A few waiters speak English.  Most menus are spanish only.  We were talkign to some people from Colorado in our hotel.  The girl is a genaral manger for a ski resort company.  Down here for a work retraet at the ski resort her company just bought.  Oh they own Spider Mountain in Burnet.  They speak zero Spanish and they said its super frustrating.  They couldnt even buy a metro pass or use and ATM because its all in spanish.

Santiago is great.  We flew in this summer.  Stayed at the Ritz and their concierge made lunch/dinner arrangements for us.  Really good food.  Had drinks with KISS in the Ritz bar.  We then flew over to Mendoza and stayed 3 days.  Wine tours, spectacular dining and very nice bed/breakfast stay. Then on to San Luis province for 5 days of pigeon shooting.  We loved it.  4 couples in our group.  Chartered a plane back to Santiago and then overnight to DFW.

Spent the last two days/nights in Vin del mar and uberd over to Valparaiso.   Valpo is gritty AF but man I dug it.  The stray but well taken care of dogs.  one min you smell weed the next garbage or homeless.  The graffiti is obiviously stellar and the hills, painted stair cases were all good.   Driving back to Santiago tomorrow.   Had an awesome lunch at La Concepcion.

PXL_20230920_145825814.MP.jpgPXL_20230920_171419185.jpgPXL_20230920_171716598.MP.jpgPXL_20230920_171756470.jpgPXL_20230920_171741908.jpgPXL_20230920_214739814.jpgPXL_20230920_180856110.jpgPXL_20230920_170846243.jpgPXL_20230920_170310563.jpgPXL_20230920_161213894.jpgPXL_20230920_163430408.jpgPXL_20230920_153916275.jpg

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1