2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

So, we doing this again? 
I actually like it. Jake getting himself tossed off the team I would think (I have stopped bitching about him bc I made my peace with it but I was the original driver of the this was a fucking terrible signing bandwagon), along with Bregman and Tucker (lately) and Jake and Yuli sucking and Brantley hurt mean the FO has to get 2 bats. 
This is all good in the long term. We are up 12 for the bye. It’s almost August. Everything is good. 
And we might win this game anyway. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Two nights in a row we start guys who, in the grand scheme of things, really aren't quite good enough to be in our rotation. Not saying they're bums, because at times they've pitched well. But the truth is, if you can't pitch them against teams like this, what good are they? 

So are you advocating for trading for a pitcher or calling up Hunter Brown?

2 minutes ago, runthebone said:

This lineup has two guys under .200 and four guys in the .230s.

So does probably half the teams in the league if not more.

(dodgers have Muncy and Bellinger starting tonight at/below .200. I’d rather have my two guys below the mendoza line named matijevic and Maldonado than my 3rd baseman and center fielder)

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So, we doing this again? 
I actually like it. Jake getting himself tossed off the team I would think (I have stopped bitching about him bc I made my peace with it but I was the original driver of the this was a fucking terrible signing bandwagon), along with Bregman and Tucker (lately) and Jake and Yuli sucking and Brantley hurt mean the FO has to get 2 bats. 
This is all good in the long term. We are up 12 for the bye. It’s almost August. Everything is good. 
And we might win this game anyway. 

All true, in the grand scheme of things. But it's some of the day-to-day stuff that makes you scratch your head. We seem to go on mental walkabouts a good bit. I know all teams do, but still. 

As we have no real leadoff alternative to Altuve, and history shows he's fairly likely to get dinged up again before long, I'm starting to think we need someone else who can fill that role. But I don't know who it would be and have heard no mention of any good trade options. I'd rather not see Tucker or Peña lead off if it can be avoided, though either is a quantum leap over McCormick, Siri or Dubon. Don't see Diaz there, either. Just wondering if better leadoff depth is even under consideration as we try to refine the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

All true, in the grand scheme of things. But it's some of the day-to-day stuff that makes you scratch your head. We seem to go on mental walkabouts a good bit. I know all teams do, but still. 

As we have no real leadoff alternative to Altuve, and history shows he's fairly likely to get dinged up again before long, I'm starting to think we need someone else who can fill that role. But I don't know who it would be and have heard no mention of any good trade options. I'd rather not see Tucker or Peña lead off if it can be avoided, though either is a quantum leap over McCormick, Siri or Dubon. Don't see Diaz there, either. Just wondering if better leadoff depth is even under consideration as we try to refine the roster. 

just call up Nikko or Siri, instant lead off hitter depth !

• Like 1

I feel like I need to stand up for Chas. He now has 559 PAs in MLB (entering tonight), approaching a full seasons’s worth. These are his numbers:

.248/.322/.441; 24 HR; 21 2B; 113 wRC+; 3.4 fWAR

He’s actually been an above-average offensive and overall player. I don’t love him in the leadoff spot, and I don’t necessarily think he needs to be in the lineup every day, but he has been a good player so far. He certainly hasn’t been a liability.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I sure hope this is a one night blip mechanical issue with Garcia that they get sorted out before next week.

Garcia with 4 walks and 7 Ks but not yet to 90 pitches is a bit surprising

When I checked in the third inning, he was 50:50 on balls and strikes for the game. How he made it that deep without any command I'm not sure, but he then did a miraculous job of overcoming it and throwing strikes. 

2 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

When I checked in the third inning, he was 50:50 on balls and strikes for the game. How he made it that deep without any command I'm not sure, but he then did a miraculous job of overcoming it and throwing strikes. 

If you have good stuff you can get away with a lot. Just ask Christian Javier.