Road Trip 2018: @Maryland (FedEx Field) Sept. 1st - Labor Day Weekend

mdmost

For getting to the game from downtown (not renting a car), is Metro the way to go?  Looks like a straight shot on the blue line about a block off our hotel (Sofitel).   Any benefit to Uber?  Per google, it doesn't seem like the Uber Pick up/Drop Off lot gets you that much closer but let me know if anyone has done both.  

19 minutes ago, Skipper said:

For getting to the game from downtown (not renting a car), is Metro the way to go?  Looks like a straight shot on the blue line about a block off our hotel (Sofitel).   Any benefit to Uber?  Per google, it doesn't seem like the Uber Pick up/Drop Off lot gets you that much closer but let me know if anyone has done both.  

Yep, Metro will get you there in about 30 mins.  Just remember to get on a "blue line" train - the colors alternate. (if you accidentally get on the wrong "color", just hop off at any station and wait for the next one, or the third one (gotta be blue, orange, or silver on that line) and hop back onto a blue.

I'm probably driving from my house to the stadium, because it's like 10 mins. on 95, plus I'm going to the TExes breakfast, and that stadium won't start filling in until 10:30.  I'll get there about 8:30 or so.    

Yep, Metro will get you there in about 30 mins.  Just remember to get on a "blue line" train - the colors alternate. (if you accidentally get on the wrong "color", just hop off at any station and wait for the next one, or the third one (gotta be blue, orange, or silver on that line) and hop back onto a blue.

I'm probably driving from my house to the stadium, because it's like 10 mins. on 95, plus I'm going to the TExes breakfast, and that stadium won't start filling in until 10:30.  I'll get there about 8:30 or so.    

So I asked this earlier, so please allow me to clarify. We are staying at Washington Court hotel

With our Friday White House tour, should we walk, metro or Uber?

On Saturday, would you Uber or metro to the game, and then, to catch a 7:30 train out to NY, would you metro or Uber from FedEx to the train?? (We would have to stop back by the hotel to grab our luggage from doorman)

Thanks!!

9 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

With our Friday White House tour, should we walk, metro or Uber?

- Wouldn't walk.  It's a long way from that hotel to the WH, unless you want to enjoy a 30 minute stroll down Pa. Ave (which is nice but man that's a stretch).  However if the weather's nice.. hey....
- You can always Uber but honestly I don't know anything about how the Uber service is in downtown.  I imagine like everything else in the city, though, it's overpriced for a mile drive.
- Metro is pretty handy there... Red Line from Union Station to Metro Center, make sure you use the right escalator and you come up about 13th and G, which is a nice 6-7 min. walk to the east side of the WH, which I think is the public entrance anyway (it's a long, long walk around the WH grounds perimeter, so make sure you go towards that side to get in, which is handy, because you do if you get off at Metro Station!).

I guess my choice would be Metro.

9 hours ago, Honeysucklerose said:

On Saturday, would you Uber or metro to the game, and then, to catch a 7:30 train out to NY, would you metro or Uber from FedEx to the train?? (We would have to stop back by the hotel to grab our luggage from doorman)

Again, can't vouch for Uber up there, except to say that looking at their suggested route, you come in on East Capitol, which is a lot of traffic lights.  Traffic on a Saturday afternoon won't be bad, but it's probably about a 25-30 minute ride, not counting waiting time and getting out of the stadium.  Adding in all that, I'd say it was from 45 minutes to an hour.

I'd probably go Metro if I were doing what you guys are.  It'll take about 45 mins. as well, but you don't have to worry about traffic (and I doubt that the Morgan Blvd. station near RFK will be crowded, not many Maryland fans are going to be coming in from the city, the great majority of them will drive).  The cost is about $2.30 per person vs. $11 p/p for the cheapest (pooled) Uber which might make a stop before yours (to do your own, it'll be about $21 p/p at least it looks like).  Why pay 4x-5x as much for the same service?  

So if you left the game by about 5 (that's being hugely conservative, you'd probably leave more like 4) you get back to your hotel about 6, leaving plenty of time for the 5 min. walk to Union Station.  Fortunately your hotel is so close to Union Station you're not really backtracking and don't appear rushed for time.

• Like 1

Again, can't vouch for Uber up there, except to say that looking at their suggested route, you come in on East Capitol, which is a lot of traffic lights.  Traffic on a Saturday afternoon won't be bad, but it's probably about a 25-30 minute ride, not counting waiting time and getting out of the stadium.  Adding in all that, I'd say it was from 45 minutes to an hour.

I'd probably go Metro if I were doing what you guys are.  It'll take about 45 mins. as well, but you don't have to worry about traffic (and I doubt that the Morgan Blvd. station near RFK will be crowded, not many Maryland fans are going to be coming in from the city, the great majority of them will drive).  The cost is about $2.30 per person vs. $11 p/p for the cheapest (pooled) Uber which might make a stop before yours (to do your own, it'll be about $21 p/p at least it looks like).  Why pay 4x-5x as much for the same service?  

So if you left the game by about 5 (that's being hugely conservative, you'd probably leave more like 4) you get back to your hotel about 6, leaving plenty of time for the 5 min. walk to Union Station.  Fortunately your hotel is so close to Union Station you're not really backtracking and don't appear rushed for time.

Thanks bro. Mad props

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Good places to eat/bars in Foggy Bottom where we're staying?

I posted this yesterday (previous page) about that, sorta:

Best bet would be to head for 5-6 blocks west toward George Washington University.  There's some pretty nice tail at some of those bars, and most of them are not quite as highbrow (i.e. snooty) as some of the other ones in your area.

Check out Lindy's or Foggy Bottom Pub, but it's been awhile since I've been down there. You go over to the gwu area and ask around I'm sure you'll get pointed out to some good stuff that cater to the campus.

I haven't been down there in a long time, and things have certainly changed, but that area is known for highbrow bars... it's all sort of upscale, not your Gingerman type places, but I'm sure the locals have other ideas.  But those 2 places aren't expensive, and I've been to Lindys' and liked it.  There is really good food all around there, but it's fancy, not necessarily real pricey in every place, but it's definitely an area that has "trendy" stuff.

But in that area, there should be a lot of stuff.  I've heard good things about the District Commons, but again it's kinda manicured - although they supposedly have a good late night scene if you're heading back after the game.  A new place called CIRCA some of my friends liked, but not sure about it other than they have a lot of wine selections.  Brew houses or beer places (down homey stuff) are more likely to be around the GWU campus.

• Like 1

BTW, in case you're wondering, I used to work in Downtown D.C. for years - several with the Smithsonian, and a few while I was in college for a law firm.  One of my jobs was to deliver shit to other firms/clients, so I essentially got to know almost every goddamn street of the city and how to get around.  Of course that was over 30 years ago but streets don't change, traffic patterns have changed little, and Metro hasn't changed much at all (except it's been built out farther into the suburbs as they've negotiated the sluggish process of getting domain to clear the land and build.  Plus I've gone up essentially 2X every year to see my mom/family since 1980.  Now that she's passed, I won't go narly as much, but I still know the metro area pretty well (not as well-versed in the Virginia burbs, as I was a Maryland boy).  But I traveled a LOT around Montgomery and Prince George's Counties (the 2 counties bordering D.C. in Maryland) and lived in P.G. got around a lot all over the place.  There are others here who live there now and certainly know as much or more, especially about great eats/drinks in places I haven't been to in years, but I love to help.. D.C. is a fairly easy city to navigate, but the problem is being efficient with limited time.  That's where I hope I can help.

One quickie Metro tip:  You don't see this anywhere (except maybe in travel forums, but this is something to keep in mind... it's not unique to D.C. Metro but it can save you time.

There are 2 kinds of platforms; the first kind is where the platform is between the two (directional) tracks. The second is where the tracks are between the platforms.  If you think about it, the first way is much preferred, because when you're in the middle of both tracks, you simply walk to one side or the other to catch the appropriate direction; if you "screw up" and go "oh, that train's going the wrong way!" you simply walk to the other side and wait for the "right" directional train.  Or you can backtrack (go back the way you came in) and walk under the tracks (next level down) and go up the right escalator.

However, if the trains run between 2 platforms, it can suck.  If you're on the "wrong" side, usually the escalators are near the very ends of the station lengthwise, so you have to (usually run) to the end of the station where the escalator is, take it then walk over the tracks,and  back down to the "correct" side platform you want.

Here's a pic of the first, where the platform's between the 2 tracks:
2662476_SIoEutQVgA8TW57kNtT_bs6Di4nsf4nr

.. and here's the more dreaded "tracks between the platforms":

dcmetroaia25yearaward-galleryplace1-tcm2
This isn't a big deal if you're not rushed for time, you go, "oh shit, we're on the wrong platform" and just walk down to the escalator (usually they're on both ends of the stations but sometimes the smaller stations only have them at one end), take it, and walk over to the opposite platform.  Your worst case is you might miss your next train and have to wait 15-20 mins. for another, but you can live with that.  However, if you're pinched for time, it might be nice to know.

The problem is there's no real logic for how the stations are built.  All transfer stations (that is, stations which are intersections of differing line routes) have at least 2 levels, so by simple geometry, one of those levels has the platform between the tracks... usually you'll know this when you get off because you're on a lower level and you'll see two escalators near each other going opposite directions.  This is because you're smack under the tracks and each side goes up to the opposite platform.

In my experience, the great majority of Metro stations have the platform in the middle, so you don't have to worry about being on the "wrong side" or platform.  And to my knowledge, there's nothing you can look up ahead of time, maybe there is.  You do know that if you transfer, almost certainly one or the other line will have it (if you get off and the tracks are in the middle, you know you're in good shape because you'll go downstairs (or upstairs) to where the platform's in the middle, no sweat.  

This might sound anal-retentive, but I can't tell you how many of my not-familiar-with-Metro friends said they wished they knew about that ahead of time, so I'm posting it here just for a head's up.  Like I said, if you're not in a real hurry, it's a bit of a pain but no harm done to have to walk down the station, up an escalator, over the tracks, and back down the other side to get your "correct" train, but keep it in mind.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I use that bus all the time when I go there.  It's great.  It picks you up in one of 3 stops at BWI and drops you off at Greenbelt Station  (last station on the Green Line) with no stops in between... it's as fast as using your own car!   Of course, vice-versa, Greenbelt to BWI, no other stops in between. $7/person one way.   It's definitely, positively worth it, although keep in mind it's not a coach type bus, it's a city type bus with the big luggage racks, but it's still fine.  Take it by all means.  

(If it's convenient for me and you need a ride from Greenbelt to your hotel in New Carrollton, I can pick you up maybe.  It's like a 5 minute ride on 95 and it sure beats taking the Metro way into town, then way back out, to get 5 miles... or try to figure out the bus system, no doubt there's a bus that goes from NC to Greenbelt (and back) but admittedly I know nothing about the bus routes... maybe it's a direct service or maybe it takes 30 minutes to go 5-6 miles, dunno...But the express from BWI to Greenbelt (and back) is definitely a winner if you're not renting a car. )New Carrollton is my old high school hunting grounds...   

Anyway I'd be glad to help with stuff like that since I'll be up there with my car, kind of a Surly Uber (now I'm talking mostly about around that area - FedEx, Lanhan, New Carrollton, College Park, etc.  basically the Prince George's area., though I could go farther if someone was stuck).

Why wouldn't he just take the train from BWI to New Carrollton?  Seems sorta silly to go to greenbelt when you can take the MARC or the Amtrak from BWI to New Carrollton, then get an uber or walk to your hotel.

Edited by Bateshorn

32 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Why wouldn't he just take the train from BWI to New Carrollton?  Seems sorta silly to go to greenbelt when you can take the MARC or the Amtrak from BWI to New Carrollton, then get an uber or walk to your hotel.

Yeah, good call.  That's definitely easier(?) and about the same $$.  i answered his question about the bus since that's what he asked about specifically but didn't think of MARC (when he asked about alternatives).  I guess WMATA doesn't want to recommend MARC for a way into DC, lol!  

I use that bus all the time though and love it.

That would seem easier, you're right, and last I remember it was about the same price.  They used to run about every 1/2 hour on the weekends, not sure now.  Google-friend-etc.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Yeah, good call.  That's definitely easier(?) and about the same $$.  i answered his question about the bus since that's what he asked about specifically but didn't think of MARC (when he asked about alternatives).  I guess WMATA doesn't want to recommend MARC for a way into DC, lol!  

I use that bus all the time though and love it.

That would seem easier, you're right, and last I remember it was about the same price.  They used to run about every 1/2 hour on the weekends, not sure now.  Google-friend-etc.

Thanks to you both.

FYI- For all metroing, it's fucked up on a the reg, so build extra time in.  It will always eventually get you there, but don't be suprised if a 20 minute trip takes an hour. 

ALSO:  DCA (National Airport) is undergoing construction right now, so the departures/arrival lanes are all mixed up. 

Also check here if you are using it:  Is Metro on Fire?

Edited by Bateshorn

20 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Thanks to you both.

No worries.  Be sure to check MARC's weekend schedule, it's either limited or doesn't run (i can't remember).  You might find yourself taking MARC one way, and Amtrak the other.  New Carrollton serves both on the same tracks, so that's easy.  There's a free bus from the BWI station to the actual airport (i.e. the train is not in the airport).

• Like 1

Anybody still looking at going to the Nationals game on Friday night?

There are 2 seats next to mdmost and mdleast.  The Nats website won't let me buy just one ticket.  You gotta buy them both apparently.  So if anybody wants to go, shoot me a PM.  I'll buy them both and you can pay me back.  Assuming you want to sit with me and the md brothers.

I'm also checking with some of my DC friends to see if any of them are interested.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Any recs for craft beer/beer nerdy bars in the Georgetown area? When I go out of town I try to only drink good beers I can’t get here in Texas. If helpful for location reference I’m also looking to swing by the Exorcist steps. I see The Tombs nearby but am not very impressed with their selection.

Insufferable beer nerd out

9 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Any recs for craft beer/beer nerdy bars in the Georgetown area? When I go out of town I try to only drink good beers I can’t get here in Texas. If helpful for location reference I’m also looking to swing by the Exorcist steps. I see The Tombs nearby but am not very impressed with their selection.

Insufferable beer nerd out

The Toombs is your quintessential Georgetown college bar. Excellent spot although not for craft beer

• Like 1

Since we're throwing out DC recs...

-Duke's Grocery in Dupont is probably the best burger I've ever had.  It's a small neighborhood spot with limited seating and I think it's gotten pretty popular, but worth the wait if there is one.

-Pizzeria Paradiso is a good brick oven pizza spot with probably the best beer selection in DC.  I'd estimate they have over 200 beers in house, with several hard to find varieties.  There's a location in Dupont, Georgetown, and Alexandria.

-The DC Exes spot is Duffy's, which is a dank Irish bar with pretty good wings.  Get them Chesapeake style with a sauce on the side.  Right next door is the Wet Dog Tavern, which has a little bit of a douche factor, but is a good day drinking spot with some decent craft beer selections.

-If you're doing the tourist thing and want a quick bite, GCDC is a "gourmet" grilled cheese spot that's about 2 blocks from the White House.  I'm a grilled cheese fan, so I love this spot, plus they have outdoor seating in a prime people watching area.  They serve beer too.

On the Metro vs. Uber front, the Metro is convenient, there are stops everywhere, and the trains run often enough where if you miss one you usually won't wait longer than 15 minutes to catch another.  However, Uber in DC is pretty damn cheap, so it's hard to beat in and around town, and there are drivers everywhere so you usually won't wait longer than 3 minutes to get a car.

• Like 1

i just picked up "dream seats" in section 40. not sure what i was thinking because now that i am looking at it closer, seems like the view may be somewhat obstructed by players on the sideline... but whatever, just excited to make it to a game; especially because i missed the texas-usc game last year in my own backyard.

• Like 2

Leaving Wednesday early early (via car) and taking a bunch of tools and shit to fix up my ma's house in College Park for sale. Will be there for 2 weeks after the game.

Anyone want to see/take a quickie campus tour/have a few afternoon drinks in the C.P area on Friday afternoon, lemme know (not sure of my plans yet).  It's entirely possible that you wouldn't come within 10 miles of the campus on this trip unless you try (FedEx is a pretty good 10 miles at least from U Md.).  Anyway, College Park is not the apex of great bar towns, but there are a few.

Again, there is really shit for good bars around FedEx, but the parking lot should have a bunch of tailgaters, hopefully Texas fans will show up (Maryland fans do some good tailgating, some good money in the alum crowd).  Otherwise I'll see some of you schmos at the UTEx breakfastcue or whatever it is game morning.

Seeing that game is going to be about 90, muggy as hell, with a 60% chance of rain, I suggest we all retire indoors to the club level for cocktails and shenanigans.  the price differential is quite minimal, almost alarmingly so...

On 8/19/2018 at 7:55 PM, KYHorn said:

Thanks for answering questions, y'all. My wife and I are staying in the New Carrollton area and flying in to BWI. The WMATA site has us taking a bus-green line- bus route to get there, but I just want to make sure that:1. the bus is not too sketchy- where I live bus transportation can be a bit of a risky move, though I know in big cities this may not be the case. And 2. you wouldn't suggest any other transportation method?

Thanks again.

I’ll be flying into BWI from Dallas on Friday, ironically. Amtrak to New Carrollton was $7 for 2 stops. I’m at the Doubletree, so there will either be a shuttle waiting for me when I exit the station or I’m taking an Uber. Stadium is a 40 minute walk from the hotel, which is fine if the weather is nice, but I may try to find another method of transport. I imagine Uber will be a nightmare on game day with an early kickoff and doubt the hotel shuttle will accommodate me.

21 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’ll be flying into BWI from Dallas on Friday, ironically. Amtrak to New Carrollton was $7 for 2 stops. I’m at the Doubletree, so there will either be a shuttle waiting for me when I exit the station or I’m taking an Uber. Stadium is a 40 minute walk from the hotel, which is fine if the weather is nice, but I may try to find another method of transport. I imagine Uber will be a nightmare on game day with an early kickoff and doubt the hotel shuttle will accommodate me.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably do the same com BWI. The metro gets you real close to the stadium, you just have to take it into DC from New Carrollton then back up to the stadium. I forget which lines.

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

Seeing that game is going to be about 90, muggy as hell, with a 60% chance of rain, I suggest we all retire indoors to the club level for cocktails and shenanigans.  the price differential is quite minimal, almost alarmingly so...

That's my plan!

15 hours ago, Lobo said:

I don't think it's going to be anywhere near 90°, depending on the clouds.
But it sure as shit looks like a rainy day.

I snagged 2 tix in back of one of the three main Longhorn sections (I'm in 224) which is like maybe the first row under the upper deck.  
There are going to be a lot of empty seats at this, so there will be plenty of places to sit if the weather gets rainy.  I don't think it's going to be constant downpours, but you might know that this summer has been tons and tons and tons of rain up there.  So I'd bet it'll be more wet than dry.

So, don't forget your rubbers!

I guess my data were from a few days ago.  But I'm still looking at weather.com at mid-80's that day.  And the game is from 12:00-3:30p, about the hottest time of day give or take an hour.  And the humidity it supposed to be about 85% with 60% chance of rain and I know the mugginess of the D.C. area all too well from experience.  So I'm guessing second half real-feel temperature to be a muggy damn near 90 degrees.  Not as bad as the usual home opener in Austin but pretty fucking miserable.  I'm really just typing this out hoping you'll agree with me so I can justify springing for a few extra bucks for a covered section with iced-down cocktails.  

29 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guess my data were from a few days ago.  But I'm still looking at weather.com at mid-80's that day.  And the game is from 12:00-3:30p, about the hottest time of day give or take an hour.  And the humidity it supposed to be about 85% with 60% chance of rain and I know the mugginess of the D.C. area all too well from experience.  So I'm guessing second half real-feel temperature to be a muggy damn near 90 degrees.  Not as bad as the usual home opener in Austin but pretty fucking miserable.  I'm really just typing this out hoping you'll agree with me so I can justify springing for a few extra bucks for a covered section with iced-down cocktails.  

That's the kind of weather that will kill an o-lineman, if you're not careful.

• Like 2

Some suites are starting to show up on StubHub cheap as all hell, but they're on the Maryland side. With the rain, they're starting to look more attractive. It's a great opportunity to eat wine and drink cheese during the game and really hammer home those Texas fan stereotypes.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

Did you book the Amtrak ahead of time or do you just show up? 

17 hours ago, Horny04 said:

I know the blue crabs are more of a Maryland/Baltimore thing, but any good restaurants in DC area to get them?  Google didn't help much.

Yes.  Head down to Maine Ave.  That's the "harbor" where they bring in seafood from the Bay and elsewhere.  There are some really good markets and a few restaurants down there.  I've never been to these, but hear they're good:  Jessie Taylor's and Captain White's I think do the bushels of steamed crabs, you crack 'n' open.   My guess is that's where you go.  But the Maine Ave. stretch is (to put it badly) sorta kinda like a Cannery Row.. little markets etc. down there are usually pretty good.

Oh, and the Blue Crab hotspots aren't just the Northern Bay.  There are great places all down the shore, the best places I ever went to are actually in Southern Maryland around the Pope's Creek area.  One place closed (alas!) but another, Cap'n Billy's is still open.  And all along the other side of the Bay (Eastern Shore) in towns like Easton, Cambridge, and especially Crisfield.  Not that you'll be going to any of those, but you're not limited to Baltimore.

Edited by phdhorn

On 8/28/2018 at 9:42 AM, phdhorn said:

Yes.  Head down to Maine Ave.  That's the "harbor" where they bring in seafood from the Bay and elsewhere.  There are some really good markets and a few restaurants down there.  I've never been to these, but hear they're good:  Jessie Taylor's and Captain White's I think do the bushels of steamed crabs, you crack 'n' open.   My guess is that's where you go.  But the Maine Ave. stretch is (to put it badly) sorta kinda like a Cannery Row.. little markets etc. down there are usually pretty good.

All that's been redeveloped, bro.  It's pricey hi-rises and such now.  The seafood joints like Captain White's are still there, but surrounded by upscale restaurants and bars.

The premium crab joint on this side of the Bay is Cantlers, out near Annapolis.  But it will cost you.

Edited by Bateshorn

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

Anybody else heading up there Thursday?  Any fellow Horns fans taking in the Nationals game Friday night?  

I got in last night.  Hot and muggy as hell.   The brothers md are getting in today - mdmost and mdleast.  They’re going to the game tomorrow.  I’m planning on going but haven’t bought a ticket yet. Could rain tomorrow night.  But I’ll probably pull the trigger later.  

There’s two tickets next to mdmost.  Let me know if you want to sit with us.  I’ll grab them.  Shoot me a PM.

Ok, we have established:

1. Maryland starters are extremely talented at OL, RB, QB, DL, LB. 
  2. Fedex is a shitty field surface and one of the worse in NFL, often responsible for season ending injuries. Add rain and humidity.
  3. Maryland Defense is missing its wiz-coach.

34 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Ok, we have established:

1. Maryland starters are extremely talented at OT, DE, and Safety OL, RB, QB, DL, LB
  2. Fedex is a shitty field surface and one of the worse in NFL, often responsible for season ending injuries. Add rain and humidity.
  3. Maryland Defense is missing its vituperative wiz-coach.

Fixed #1 and #3 for you.