Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

• 3 weeks later...

Weird like construction stuff weird?  Or like aliens kinda weird?

that’d be a weird play for Spec’s considering the proximity to the Highland store.  But then again, as I mentioned way upthread; the one down off 290 is on the chopping block.  So could very well be.  

On 2/21/2024 at 7:24 PM, smokebomb said:

A Texas A&M University study of highways in Dallas, San Antonio and Houston found people drove about 2 miles per hour slower in 11-foot-wide lanes than 12-foot-wide lanes. But narrower lanes tended to result in more crashes causing injury or death, the study found.

No biggie… it’s just a bunch of sips.

Who the fuck decided narrow lanes was the way to go? If anything, cars and trucks are bigger than they used to be, not smaller.

I swear modern road/highway designers make me want to murder people. How about nice wide roads with good sightlines, an adequate hard shoulder, and well-placed signage and road markings? "Oh no, that's old thinking. We want to make driving as miserable and stressful as possible."

Edited by Paper_jam
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Who the fuck decided narrow lanes was the way to go? If anything, cars and trucks are bigger than they used to be, not smaller.

I swear modern road/highway designers make me want to murder people. How about nice wide roads with good sightlines, an adequate hard shoulder, and well-placed signage and road markings? "Oh no, that's old thinking. We want to make driving as miserable and stressful as possible."

I was in Jacksonville for work last week. Wide and luxurious lanes over in Florida.

The so-called Save Our Springs group is insufferable and increasingly irrelevant.  This project is a long way downstream and will remediate and improve an old industrial plant to a better use given the changes that have happened in East Austin.  

Groups sue Austin officials over plan to redevelop dairy plant site

When I saw that, I thought it was gonna be another project that flamed out since it doesn't appear to make much sense.  But talked to a friend at Flato this weekend and it appears pretty much ready to roll though it likely won't end up being quite that tall.   

So 49 stories of multi-family/hospitality and 1 story of 60 year old South Austinites doing blow off an old piano.  TAKE MY MONEY!  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/22/2024 at 10:46 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Saw weird Scientology shit going up on campus today.

Heard the Randall’s on 35th is going to be a specs.

Fan fucking tastic. Can walk there from my house. Grab a bottle and then some coffee from Milk & Cookies while getting credit for walking dog. Win/Win

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:27 PM, DalTxHornFan said:

The so-called Save Our Springs group is insufferable and increasingly irrelevant.  This project is a long way downstream and will remediate and improve an old industrial plant to a better use given the changes that have happened in East Austin.  

Groups sue Austin officials over plan to redevelop dairy plant site

They don’t even try to pretend they’re not a shake down racket anymore. Just a joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Then add the Rainey Street District in a couple of years…

38616FDE-31BB-4AD3-B724-78FF07893D6B.jpeg

the sheer amount of construction activity going on at Rainey has always been amazing, but right now it is mindblowing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, that thing ended up looking really nice after all.  We're taking a tour of it later this Spring.  

That it looks just like a Rainey Street tombstone facing Town Lake, Nicole?  Nah, total coincidence.  

I still don't get that fucking goofy hotel next to it.  But anyways.  Give that goofy ass Holiday Inn credit, how it survives?  Then Howie survived?  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, that thing ended up looking really nice after all.  We're taking a tour of it later this Spring.  

That it looks just like a Rainey Street tombstone facing Town Lake, Nicole?  Nah, total coincidence.  

I still don't get that fucking goofy hotel next to it.  But anyways.  Give that goofy ass Holiday Inn credit, how it survives?  Then Howie survived?  

That Holiday Inn has been a blight forever, but I guess that it is still a cash machine for somebody.

16 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Can't wait to see some height on the south side of the river.  What a waste that Statesman site is.

I think it would be the perfect location for a world-class opera/music/cultural venue like the one in Sidney, Australia.

• Hook 'Em 1

Brother was CEO of Seton Hospital  that was located in the West Campus area during the 1970s - He oversaw the construction of the new facility on 38th Street and the demolition of the old one. Prior to the demolition, he went in the old building and salvaged about a dozen of the PO Boxes from the hospital mail room and set them into the little wood box frames.
Pretty neat thing to have.
I salvaged the lower counter cabinets from a nurses' station on the 3rd floor, and it still serves as my garage workbench.
Sure was a chore dragging it down those two long flights of stairs though.
This is the old now-demolished hospital that dated from 1902…

IMG_2579.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Brother was CEO of Seton Hospital  that was located in the West Campus area during the 1970s - He oversaw the construction of the new facility on 38th Street and the demolition of the old one. Prior to the demolition, he went in the old building and salvaged about a dozen of the PO Boxes from the hospital mail room and set them into the little wood box frames.
Pretty neat thing to have.
I salvaged the lower counter cabinets from a nurses' station on the 3rd floor, and it still serves as my garage workbench.
Sure was a chore dragging it down those two long flights of stairs though.
This is the old now-demolished hospital that dated from 1902…

IMG_2579.jpeg

My parents ended up with some furniture from there.  Also from the old Sigma Chi house on University.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WithoutAClue said:

i was born there (pre-demolition).

Our two younger sons were born there, and Mrs.. Brat was assigned to the same room that was used by Luci Blaine’s Johnson Nugent not long before then.
A photo of LBJ visiting her and his newborn grandkid in that room was featured on the cover of Life magazine.
The leather recliner the retired President sat in was still in the room, so I wiped it down to dissipate any bad juju.

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Instead, it is a world-class parking lot:

I mean a good chunk of the larger sites are owned by developers and absolutely will have vertical mixed-use built on them. Just need the capital markets to loosen a bit.