The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

"Steal Away" by Robbie Dupree is the same song as "What A Fool Believes" by The Doobie Brothers.

Convince me I'm wrong. :)

Lol. Almost. But I love both of them. Reminds me riding with my Mom in her old Thunderbird.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually thought I was delivering a hot take.  Then I checked the internet and apparently there's a long-standing argument on the discussion, that Robbie Dupree ripped off the Doobie Brothers.  I don't really think that, I just think they're quite similar, and I too like them both. What's not to like about yacht rock? :)

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/30/2021 at 11:20 PM, Sbbruin said:

I’m going to be over at Catalina for the game too.  Sailing out Friday.  

I need your guys to pull the upset.  Mrs Landomatic and I have a side bet on our brackets and the points so far have it coming down to the winner of your game.  Stakes are dishes at the boat for a month.  Don't let me down @Sbbruin

Edited by Landomatic
i'm so fucked

2 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

I need your guys to pull the upset.  Mrs Landomatic and I have a side bet on our brackets and the points so far have it coming down to the winner of your game.  Stakes are dishes at the boat for a month.  Don't let me down @Sbbruin

David v Goliath is an understatement.  But our approach is: make it ugly.  Make them uncomfortable.  Be in their face.  Beat them to every loose ball.  Want it more.  We do that and who knows.  We had no business beating either Bama or Michigan l. But here we are.  That’s why you play the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

David v Goliath is an understatement.  But our approach is: make it ugly.  Make them uncomfortable.  Be in their face.  Beat them to every loose ball.  Want it more.  We do that and who knows.  We had no business beating either Bama or Michigan l. But here we are.  That’s why you play the game.

Too bad you aren’t playing Shaka Texas. You’d win running away.

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Forecast was glass, but probably 12 kts out of the south ( atypical for this area).  Will be able to sail the whole way to Catalina if it holds.

C48984C9-4A4D-4573-B032-951FF21DD6BE.jpeg

Coming after you bud! Lake sailing on our own tomorrow and the week after on that 27 footer. Going to start a log book for my resume this weekend.  Giddy up!

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

any tips on a log book app?  specifically one useful for converting to a resume for bareboat charters?  US Sailing apparently is still in 1973 with their technology.  I know or have read that manual log books are actually a legal thing but yeah, not gonna do that for lake sailing and other experience accumulation for charters.  what say the 3 sailors on surly? 

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

There’s nothing better than being on the ocean solo.  The Pacific blue is amazing.

9606FA08-6127-408C-9FF2-2140CFEEE9BD.jpeg

That blue is something else.  Been futzing around the last few days wondering what’s the point? That color blue, the solitude and the smells that come with it. That’s the point. 

1 hour ago, troph said:

That blue is something else.  Been futzing around the last few days wondering what’s the point? That color blue, the solitude and the smells that come with it. That’s the point. 

My favorite part of these trips is the solo time out on the blue.   Being at the island is great, but the journey is awesome.  

But now I need to figure out how to watch the Bruins. California doesn’t allow bars and restaurants to have TVs on because it causes people to gather.

I’ve got a $10 antenna laying around because there was a cable outage during a Cowboys game.  It’s come in handy on a couple of occasions.  Is the game on CBS or TNT/whatever?  If CBS an antenna will have you good to go.  Do you have some sort of tv on the boat?

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

My favorite part of these trips is the solo time out on the blue.   Being at the island is great, but the journey is awesome.  

But now I need to figure out how to watch the Bruins. California doesn’t allow bars and restaurants to have TVs on because it causes people to gather.

15 hours ago, troph said:

any tips on a log book app?  specifically one useful for converting to a resume for bareboat charters?  US Sailing apparently is still in 1973 with their technology.  I know or have read that manual log books are actually a legal thing but yeah, not gonna do that for lake sailing and other experience accumulation for charters.  what say the 3 sailors on surly? 

I would get into the habit of maintaining a real log book now. Probably not a whole lot to log doing small lake sailing (start and end time, wind speed and direction) so it seems silly but do it anyhow. I've just been using a notepad but next season I'm getting a dedicated log book.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I can never complain about rain in Austin.  We always need it desperately.

I’m pivoting quickly. Gonna do some work on some stuff I can’t do during the week - just picked up a new company to advise on (business/strategy not legal) and I’m pretty energized about it so I need to do a deep dive for a few hours - and then going to bass pro for a surf fishing rig - then to dinner. Fully vaxxed makes life great.  No complaints. 

Edited by troph

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

I would get into the habit of maintaining a real log book now. Probably not a whole lot to log doing small lake sailing (start and end time, wind speed and direction) so it seems silly but do it anyhow. I've just been using a notepad but next season I'm getting a dedicated log book.

I ended up with this one:

42A1B984-66CA-4037-9F79-C8AAF451564E.jpeg

you can export to CSV, but I’ll probably get a manual log book to based on eBay you said.

Edited by troph

14 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

You’re a bad fan if you didn’t have the tv situation sorted out in advance for a final four game.  Just sayin.

Planned this trip a few weeks back, and honestly did NOT think we were headed to the FF.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I say this with sincerity that the past couple of days with the game were wonderful. My teens are aging out and I know I'm going to blink and they'll be gone.

That said, sitting on board solo with perfect weather and most of the boats cleared out of Avalon is pretty glorious. Forecasted to be light winds headed back, but that was the case coming out and it was a fun scoot under sail. Anyway, this is why I own this thing. And it's the best money I spend.
3ae89f09d68ef33d6a706a110266c801.jpg

(Of course @Landomatic is going to make us all his bitch with that unreal vessel he has now. That thing is awesome. Bravo)

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 4/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, Viking said:

Been in the Bahamas for three months. Hopefully immigration extends our visas otherwise we'll be illegals for the next month or two.

Our anchorage mate for the night:

IMG_20210405_123929943.thumb.jpg.91d9331a5d336644f2bf65b3970007d0.jpg

I’m sitting on the lake thinking, “Now this is the shit!”

And then i see this...

49 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Guy launching next to me today.  He seemed like a pro-

304D3AFE-4574-4285-81E7-117FFF1A456F.jpeg

I’d bet he had the trailer backed in so far that it was floating until he pulled it out of the water.  That move is pretty much standard boat ramp fuckup video fodder.  

• Hook 'Em 1