The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

29 minutes ago, Brew said:

Supra, maybe late 2000’s early 2010’s would be my guess.

The main reason I was thinking Nautique is the tower.  This is my '05 226.

Windshield supports are exactly the same too.

Do Supras have the same setup?  I've never had a real close look at one although I oogle them whenever I see 'em out on the water.  Beautiful boats.

IMG_0177.PNG

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

The main reason I was thinking Nautique is the tower.  This is my '05 226.

Windshield supports are exactly the same too.

Do Supras have the same setup?  I've never had a real close look at one although I oogle them whenever I see 'em out on the water.  Beautiful boats.

IMG_0177.PNG

What kind of shape is the interior in? Any major issues?

21 minutes ago, dlatin said:

Yep, ‘06 Supra Launch 21v

The best boats for my money came from that era. Electronics had not taken over everything yet, the lines are super clean, the tower/windshield flowed in a clean arc, interiors were simple and clean, etc. I punch myself in the nuts every morning for selling my X-1 last year before the pricing madness took off. I was planning to buy an X-2 or VLX and everything just went stupid before I could get one bought.

27 minutes ago, Brew said:

What kind of shape is the interior in? Any major issues?

Yeah, there's a couple of cushions that need repair.  I've got a guy and will have that done in the next month or so.  The guages on the dashboard don't work all the time.  It's a Faria system and supposedly they conk out pretty regularly.  To replace them takes a completly new modified dash that runs around $5k.  Perfect pass computer works just fine and tells you all you need to know - Engine temp/Oil Pressure/Water Temp/etc, so I waved off the replacement.  Hull has a few dinks, but nothing serious.  Definitely needs some buffer work to shine it up. 

Other than that everything is tip top.  WetSounds in the cabin, Clarion Tower speakers, WetSounds amp, Apollo head unit.  FatSacs all working along w/their empty/fill guages.

Engine, aside from maybe a dozen or so tube pulling excursions for the kids, was never run hard.  No wakeboarding, skiing, or surfing.  Mostly I just put in at Walsh and headed straight for Commons Ford to tie up, look at ass, and catch a good contact high.

I'll be up at BoatTown where it's kept in a couple of weeks and I'll take some pics that'll show the cosmetic stuff that needs to be done.  I'll post 'em up when I get them.

The older Supra’s were one of the only manufacturers that actually followed the curve of the windshield lines with the tower supports. They kept everything tight together where Nautique (except on the 226) and Mastercraft used the more squared off base. Malibu was into the single supports by the mid 2000’s which started the trend of towers I’m not a fan of. I don’t think Nautique or Mastercraft did a playpen bow that far back either. Supra/Moomba used the rounded off passenger seat in the mid to late 2000’s also where most everyone else used the squared off seating. Lot of subtle differences between boat lines.

20 minutes ago, Brew said:

The older Supra’s were one of the only manufacturers that actually followed the curve of the windshield lines with the tower supports. They kept everything tight together where Nautique (except on the 226) and Mastercraft used the more squared off base. Malibu was into the single supports by the mid 2000’s which started the trend of towers I’m not a fan of. I don’t think Nautique or Mastercraft did a playpen bow that far back either. Supra/Moomba used the rounded off passenger seat in the mid to late 2000’s also where most everyone else used the squared off seating. Lot of subtle differences between boat lines.

You're definitely right.  In fact Supra was doing this all the way back into the late 80s/early 90s.  A buddy had a 1990 Supra Saltare with the playpen bow, that boat was a beast.  

1990 Supra Saltare 23' | River Daves Place

On 5/1/2021 at 7:28 PM, dlatin said:

I’m so ready for lake season, I need to get the jet ski in. I’ve had the boat out but not the paddle boards. We need some warm weather to bring the lake temps up to start surfing. I did pick up a wetsuit at the end of last season so I can get an earlier start.1e808cec87add503819d6a249c07aeab.jpg
8385ba8c5a25c75c687c8a471d6b03b7.jpg
87b6f42fe4922a7af827b9e3975de46b.jpg
ee97ed35a381e3d70a1eb3c5b3f10130.jpg

What a beautiful spread.

damn

• Like 1

Sailed from the Abacos to St Augustine this week. Had a great sail except that the 1st reef line chaffed through so we had to sail on the 2nd reef a lot of the time which is slooow as snot.

Bonus of the trip was that we were 25 miles from Cape Canaveral when a Falcon 9 was launched. Pretty cool to see and I'd love to be even closer to a launch next year.

IMG_20210504_150223017.thumb.jpg.617c47d2c5d59be70cd1e66aa78be495.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

What a beautiful spread.
damn

Thanks! The kids were getting older and we fell in love with wakesurfing so I sold my fish and ski and got that Supra. I needed to redo my dock so it was great timing to have a new nice dock and boat for the pandemic. We love it.

Here was our old dock/boathouse. The water is really high in this picture.

20d94ea3f4c1c396c485506ff237aa3e.jpg

Thanks! The kids were getting older and we fell I love with wakesurfing so I sold my fish and ski and got that Supra. I needed to redo my dock so it was great timing to have a new nice dock and boat for the pandemic. We love it.

Here was our old dock/boathouse. The water is really high in this picture.

20d94ea3f4c1c396c485506ff237aa3e.jpg

What lake is that on

Lake Holbrook - East Texas
I have never heard of that lake oddly and had to look it up. I have had a place on cypress springs for 4 years now and also didnt know about that lake until I started shopping. Not a fishing or hunting lake so that's likely why.

I have never heard of that lake oddly and had to look it up. I have had a place on cypress springs for 4 years now and also didnt know about that lake until I started shopping. Not a fishing or hunting lake so that's likely why.

It’s a pretty good fishing lake. That’s originally why we bought the place, for me to fish. We bought it 2 weeks before we found out we were pregnant with our first. Both kids grew up going on the weekends.

It’s a pretty good fishing lake. That’s originally why we bought the place, for me to fish. We bought it 2 weeks before we found out we were pregnant with our first. Both kids grew up going on the weekends.

Growing up in Tyler, we used to fish Holbrook if we didn’t feel like driving all the way to Fork when we got tired of Lake Tyler or Palestine. Just about any lake is a good fishing lake if you fish it enough to pattern the fish.

6 hours ago, dlatin said:

We love it, we moved out here full time 6 years ago. Not sure I could live in the city again.

Awesome, you're living my dream, man.  The minute our youngest is 18 and off to college, that's what we're doing.

Awesome, you're living my dream, man.  The minute our youngest is 18 and off to college, that's what we're doing.

We hope to jump on a catamaran and live in the Caribbean. We have 4 years! I think it may end up being 6.

We are enjoying the lake in the meantime.

8 hours ago, dlatin said:

We hope to jump on a catamaran and live in the Caribbean. We have 4 years! I think it may end up being 6.

We are enjoying the lake in the meantime.

That's cool.

I'm definitely a lake rat, the open seas aren't really my thing.  Before kids, we did a vacation on chartered cat through the Caribbean with some of our best couple friends. It was fun as a vacation, but definitely not something I'd want as a permanent living situation.  

Boat shopping commences in 2 weeks.  Just window shopping for now, as I need to get an idea of exactly what I want, and won’t be moving to the coast until the end of the summer.  Been educating myself for a few months, and I am excited to get my hands on a bunch of different boats and see what I think will be the best choice.

Boat shopping commences in 2 weeks.  Just window shopping for now, as I need to get an idea of exactly what I want, and won’t be moving to the coast until the end of the summer.  Been educating myself for a few months, and I am excited to get my hands on a bunch of different boats and see what I think will be the best choice.

What type of boats are you considering?

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Only one boat?

The current plan is to boatshare with the wife’s cousin, who has a smaller bay boat.  He is not yet aware of this plan, but I think he can probably be talked into it as mine will most likely be bigger and nicer.  Use his when we just want to dick around for an hour or two inshore and use mine for serious fishing, pleasure cruises, and taken kiddos to the beaches that are only accessible by boat.

• Hook 'Em 1

Me, the wind and the sails. That’s it. Call it a conversation, relationship, or something else. But today it was something special.  No instruments needed just the telltales, the wind on my face and the waves on the lake. I’m big boat certified.  

A719BEF8-9C02-4462-BCAA-D021FD1EF53E.thumb.jpeg.92db7c535f8e78473c499aeda02f6a5c.jpeg
1DF5E41C-AD9D-4F69-9C81-64743B59D3F1.thumb.jpeg.6b488df510b9631984c14b1e23da3d87.jpeg

The best!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, troph said:

Me, the wind and the sails. That’s it. Call it a conversation, relationship, or something else. But today it was something special.  No instruments needed just the telltales, the wind on my face and the waves on the lake. I’m big boat certified.  

A719BEF8-9C02-4462-BCAA-D021FD1EF53E.jpeg

1DF5E41C-AD9D-4F69-9C81-64743B59D3F1.jpeg

How hard and time consuming is it to learn to sale?  Because I love sailing, but really have only done the tiny sailboats at a lake.  It is something I would love to learn.  Nothing like sailing and not hearing anything but the wind and waves.

7 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

How hard and time consuming is it to learn to sale?  Because I love sailing, but really have only done the tiny sailboats at a lake.  It is something I would love to learn.  Nothing like sailing and not hearing anything but the wind and waves.

Don’t think @troph technically started that long ago. I’m sure he was read up on it and had a head start, but think his lessons started just a few pages back on this thread. 

20 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

My favorite is when you are motoring out of a harbor listening to the little yanmar diesel rattle the shit out of everything, then you hoist the sails and kill the motor. That transition from mechanical chaos to the pure serene sound of water lapping and nature all around, nothing compares. 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

it's not hard.  but I'm now 7 sailing days (full days) in to get my certification for 35-40 foot boats.  I still can't charter a boat outside my club on my own without more experience.  There is book study time too.  The hardest part is the vocab and the lines (including knots).  But it's not that hard, it's a tad time consuming though.  Put it this way, I took a full day off from work yesterday to sail.  I had ZERO complaints but I had to make it work.  There is book learning and written tests, 80 multiple choice questions. So reading and studying is required. I probably have 20 hours of self study in this plus helm time. I started mid March and now two months later I'm there.  some weekend time too but some weekdays for sure.

The best part about yesterday though was sailing up and down the channel looking up at the cliff in the distance seeing concrete trucks at our homesite.  My girlfriend there building and I knew for a fact she would notice the lone sailboat out on the water.  sure enough, last night not knowing I was finishing my certification yesterday, she made a comment about this lone beautiful sailboat just going straight down the channel and how it caught her eye.  she thinks she has me on some drone footage.  Good times.

Like anything else, sailing will take from something else.  right now i'm having to chose between fly fishing, surfing, sailing, I want to add guitar too and it's pretty clear I don't have enough time.  Sailing will absolutely drive me to an early retirement I can see that already.

Yesterday I was on that singular port tack she saw going down the channel on a close reach (so I could sail straight down the channel), at the helm, sitting and leaning off the port side on the lifelines/railings a bit to see the telltales on the jib around the mainsail over on the starboard side and I had the boat perfectly balanced.  for 5-6 minutes I just half zoned out, kind of like a cat nap but not really.  watching the telltales stream straight back like the perfect tuned instruments.  my blood pressure had to have been as low as it's ever been.  no boats around, just mesmerized by the gentle rocking of the lake waves and the sound of the water "crinkling" against the hull.  there was a moment there where I was completely zen, in alignment with everything, the boat, the sails and the wind and I were all enjoying the moment together. my mind was blank. my instructor knew I had it.  he stayed quiet and let me enjoy what I discovered.  there was only the present moment, pure and holy.  I was in heaven. I was immortal.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 4

My favorite is when you are motoring out of a harbor listening to the little yanmar diesel rattle the shit out of everything, then you hoist the sails and kill the motor. That transition from mechanical chaos to the pure serene sound of water lapping and nature all around, nothing compares. 

That moment the engine is shut off is magical.

I started with 0 experience, took ASA 101 basic keelboat and spent a year working through my certifications and about 16 months after starting I chartered my own 46’ boat in the BVIs with my wife and 2 young children. It only took that long because of my busy schedule. It’s really not that hard to learn to sail. The experience of a seasoned sailer obviously takes a long time.
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, troph said:

A719BEF8-9C02-4462-BCAA-D021FD1EF53E.jpeg

1DF5E41C-AD9D-4F69-9C81-64743B59D3F1.jpeg

What is that?  Raked spreaders and the arch make me think Hunter.