The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

Didn’t look back, but I think the Murder Hornet is a Malibu. That looks like like an X-45 with the step in the hull.

Run your blowers, this stuff happens every year from people not properly running their blowers with inboards. That may not be the cause of this one, but I would put my money on it.

so I've come into possession of a metric shit-ton of windsurfing gear:  two boards, and almost a dozen sales, plus a harness and other bits of hardware.  I haven't looked at it all in detail, but I think it's mostly wave sailing stuff.  probably going to need to get a new base and extension (the ones I got are kinda sloppy).  super stoked.  was thinking about buying a new rig for days too windy to take out the Force 5 (at least for my skill level).  but I haven't windsurfed in 20 years.   I'd like to find a beginner board for the kids (and me, tbh).  maybe I can talk the shop at Bird Island into selling me one, cheap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brew said:

Didn’t look back, but I think the Murder Hornet is a Malibu. That looks like like an X-45 with the step in the hull.

Run your blowers, this stuff happens every year from people not properly running their blowers with inboards. That may not be the cause of this one, but I would put my money on it.

I run it every time we start for 3 mins. Should I run it longer or more often?

26 minutes ago, troph said:

I run it every time we start for 3 mins. Should I run it longer or more often?

Before every start, that should be sufficient. If we’re changing out riders, I just leave it running while we sit.

and 

42 minutes ago, Brew said:

Before every start, that should be sufficient. If we’re changing out riders, I just leave it running while we sit.

Yeah we have it on when the key comes on and we don’t turn it off until we start and for a few mins. 

And Mako. And I’m sure others. 

Good lord! Hadn’t looked At the mako website in years.

How about a 41’ CC with quad merc 350 vrods for a no haggle price of $600k

Is that really a choice for someone looking for a 40’+ boat?

10 hours ago, davidg said:

Good lord! Hadn’t looked At the mako website in years.

How about a 41’ CC with quad merc 350 vrods for a no haggle price of $600k

Is that really a choice for someone looking for a 40’+ boat?

No. Well yes, but no not anyone that knows what they are looking for.

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I would certainly hope not.  There’s only another 20 you can choose from in that size and price range that aren’t BPS crap. But some people...

Buy 2 sea rays and when the first sinks you’ve still got a boat and you likely did well on the insurance.

3 hours ago, troph said:

I think I like old wooden boats like I like old cars. I want one or seven.  This one struck me. Not a flashy boat but one I would love to putter around on on a flat water no boat traffic summer eve. 

F5070E9D-E4F8-424F-9355-EF22E8A4DFD6.jpeg

Yup.

this boat was a 1962 build and is still sexy as hell...

26C780AC-2EF3-4CAF-A453-5311AB6A09B9.jpeg

64F0E46C-9EE0-4602-B559-30B880F28BE0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Oh my. Such a cult following for the rybos too.  That one is stunning. 

Yeah that may be the best looking one I’ve ever seen. They made incredibly good looking boats before it was even a thing. I could go for a Merritt too. Honestly, and it’s huge, but Ann Warrick was in my marina a few years back. I think it’s a Paul Mann. You couldn’t walk by the thing without drooling.

D0594DC2-75E9-460F-95EC-58817A3D1419.jpeg

4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah that may be the best looking one I’ve ever seen. They made incredibly good looking boats before it was even a thing. I could go for a Merritt too. Honestly, and it’s huge, but Ann Warrick was in my marina a few years back. I think it’s a Paul Mann. You couldn’t walk by the thing without drooling.

D0594DC2-75E9-460F-95EC-58817A3D1419.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that’s the small one like 75’ and then they brought the 86’ or whatever which is what I saw in person. Drop dead gorgeous from the backside/outside which is all I ever got to see. 😂

On 5/22/2021 at 7:31 AM, troph said:

Looks like bass pro shops just bought Hatteras. 

Yup, shouldn't affect owners of the old boats like us much... but I'm interested to see what they do with the brand going forward. The owner is a good business man - I just hope he doesn't cheapen the brand. 

2 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

Yup, shouldn't affect owners of the old boats like us much... but I'm interested to see what they do with the brand going forward. The owner is a good business man - I just hope he doesn't cheapen the brand. 

I mean, they'll probably still be better than Luhrs. 

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I mean, they'll probably still be better than Luhrs. 

Lulz. Talk about a boat builder whose reputation went to shit. About 15 years ago I had a friend with a 3 or 4 year old 36’ and he couldn’t even give the thing away.

2 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Lulz. Talk about a boat builder whose reputation went to shit. About 15 years ago I had a friend with a 3 or 4 year old 36’ and he couldn’t even give the thing away.

That was around the time of that epic thread on THT, right? Man, that thing was better than a soap opera. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, longhrnfan said:

Kind of like when Ralph Lauren started pimping all his clothes at Kohl's and Costco.

7 hours ago, justhookit said:

How bad was it, really?   I’ve read the thread and seems like you could find them for 100-ish a few years ago.  Really that bad?  One of the 2cool guys bought a 34’ and had a thread.  Iirc he beached it pretty bad on maiden trip home and got a fafo introduction into bent wheels and shafts.  

This popped up on my ytube feed a few days ago and I finally watched it tonight.  Great story and I’m surprised they had room for enough fuel considering that small boat had to carry Al’s balls too.

The Al Grover Story: A legend.

Al Grover set out to accomplish something that had never been done
Crossing the Atlantic in a small outboard. There were numerous attempts, preparations and changed plans. And once the trip was finally under way in 1985, he’d endure a gale, a hurricane and even falling off the boat before reaching Lisbon and going down in the Guinness Book of World Records.

https://algroversmarine.com/our-story/transatlantic-journey/

groversbuilt.jpg

Edited by davidg

On 5/22/2021 at 1:26 PM, Brew said:

Murder Hornet is indeed a Malibu.  

Can confirm.

On 5/22/2021 at 11:18 AM, Bob Lives! said:

Looks like a yellow and black Mastercraft. Hopefully not our murder hornet.

f75ed85979d884fad4cda8b1a0937b19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and I wouldn't hold out much hope for the tape deck...

or the Creedence.

• Haha 1

One of the guys (Mr Sunshine) sold his boat for less than half of what he paid for it and took a small settlement from Luhers before they went BK. I think they ended up reimbursing him for the out of pocket repairs he had made. He ended up with an Ocean SS, which is a pretty nice boat. The OP claims he never got anything out of Luhers, but also got rid of his boat. He wasn't as forthcoming in closing out his story, but he did say a broker had it and sold it. No idea if the dealer he bought it from bought it back or what. At one point of the thread there were something like 40 used Luhrs 41s for sale on Yacht broker. Luhers and the whole marine group they owned ultimately filed for BK around 2011. I don't know if any of the other brands made a comeback, but Luhers did not. Around page 50 a bunch of guys that had been laid-off from Luhers showed up and poured some gas on the fire for a while. Talking about shit Luhers was doing in production that was shady as shit, guys that were embezzling money from the warranty department, all kinds of fun stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

How bad was it, really?   I’ve read the thread and seems like you could find them for 100-ish a few years ago.  Really that bad?  One of the 2cool guys bought a 34’ and had a thread.  Iirc he beached it pretty bad on maiden trip home and got a fafo introduction into bent wheels and shafts.  

Can’t recall the exact amount but I think he finally dumped his 4 or 5 year old boat for 30% of what he paid for it.

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Can’t recall the exact amount but I think he finally dumped his 4 or 5 year old boat for 30% of what he paid for it.

I meant more about the quality. How bad was it, if you ever fished it or heard from him about it.  At one point, that looked like all I’d ever be able to do.  Now maybe an older Post or Ocean working their way in. I’m just hoping the trend continues until I can afford something without Detroits :) 

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/109360-41-luhrs-buyer-beware.html
hopefully you have a lot of free time this summer because it will take you that long to read it.
Holy shit I used to spend like every Monday morning reading this thread instead of working. I was a second year owner of a 16' flats boat at the time so I never posted in it. They should store it in the National Archives.