The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 6/29/2021 at 8:26 AM, dlatin said:

Saturday was a good day, about 10 hours on the lake with about and hour break to grab food and restock. End of day sunset is the best.
114df14e31cb2a5dbfabf167f66d1efd.jpg

696112745eda4e34b895381136a64ed0.jpg

9ed49e771eaec74f4dbaaf807c372ab4.jpg
7b35c9540f07596bfbc7d8d131c37d72.jpg

Did I just now realize that @dlatin is the king of surly?  Because it sure seems that’s the case.

• Like 1

By the way, this is why the cost of goods is higher right now.  This has been the case for a few months now.  They can’t offload ships nearly as fast as they come in, and Los Angeles harbor is the biggest cargo port in the US.  This pic is just a snapshot of how many ships are stacked up right now.
974567b50e626d0ca71bb88d17bd75ca.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Well that 27 foot 40 year old Catalina will finally be half mine. New motor needed and it’s being installed next week and I deliver a check and then it’s half mine. Might be on the water July 10 if the wind and work cooperates.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That’s the life right there.

I sent those guys you referred me to an email. Hoping to have some spring break pics like that next year.  Dreaming of west coast good times tonight.  

spent hours today “boat shopping” too, haha. Such an affliction.   

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It actually gave me pause on the whole boat thing.

Don’t. The water is more powerful than some orangutan following flag waver.  Trucks, guns, fishing, sailing, boating, scuba, all of it but actual hunting for air breathing animals and my life is better for it than worse for those hateful assholes.  Deal with my rainbow queer ass I’m not leaving. In the words of Jimmy Buffett I have found me a home and you can have the rest of everything I own. Ok not that last part.  

own it, you belong.  

Edited by troph

Just now, troph said:

Don’t. The water is more powerful than some orangutan following flag waver.  Trucks, guns, fishing, sailing, boating, scuba, all of it but actual hunting for air breathing animals and my life is better for it than worse for those hateful assholes.  Deal with my rainbow queer ass I’m not leaving. In the words of Jimmy Buffett I have found me a home and you can have the rest of everything I own. Ok not that last part. 

I got over it pretty quickly, but it crossed my mind.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wholesaler called me about a month ago low-balling me on the Nautique.  I almost said "yes" just to have it off my hands and stop paying storage, but I didn't.  Fast forward to now and the MC is in the shop having some needed work (new impeller and a few other tidbits) and that's gonna take some time b/c boat, mechanics, summer, etc.  Glad I didn't sell the old gal b/c she's goin' back into service.

Just picked her up from Boat Town and deposited down at Canyon Lake.  Gonna take a bit of interior clean up, but I'm actually excited about getting back in that boat for awhile.  She's black, she's classy, and she's a sexy bitch goddamnit!  Oh, and no pickle fork will be nice too.

IMG_0518.JPG

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Is this your first encounter with 35% of our country?

In California this is not common, except as @troph said, except for Orange County.  Two of my closest friends who live in the OC are the only 2 people I know who aren’t vaccinated.  

Just now, Sbbruin said:

In California this is not common, except as @troph said, except for Orange County.  Two of my closest friends who live in the OC are the only 2 people I know who aren’t vaccinated.  

I also have a batshit crazy friend who lives in the OC, so I understand. 

Wholesaler called me about a month ago low-balling me on the Nautique.  I almost said "yes" just to have it off my hands and stop paying storage, but I didn't.  Fast forward to now and the MC is in the shop having some needed work (new impeller and a few other tidbits) and that's gonna take some time b/c boat, mechanics, summer, etc.  Glad I didn't sell the old gal b/c she's goin' back into service.
Just picked her up from Boat Town and deposited down at Canyon Lake.  Gonna take a bit of interior clean up, but I'm actually excited about getting back in that boat for awhile.  She's black, she's classy, and she's a sexy bitch goddamnit!  Oh, and no pickle fork will be nice too.
IMG_0518.thumb.JPG.1db022301c38cfa058189c06eeb77e40.JPG

Pickle fork sucks right? I hate it.

11 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Fishing honks with trolling motors (guilty) essentially have "Wolverine special healing powers" for when the main power source goes out.

Do we have a boat owner to English translator?

Lol I was drinking Irish coffee when I posted that yesterday morning and then I got too drunk to respond later. #murica

Fishing boats have trolling motors which the owners frequently use to get out of trouble when they run out of fuel, bang up the prop, blow a power head or similar.

Fishing boat "captains", myself included, tend to take for granted how much trouble the troller gets them out of.

I was reading Troph's post about wrapping up the prop in a ski line and drifting towards the cliffs. I kept thinking: "drop the troller and hold your spot." But, as a pure fishing guy, I tend to forget that non-fishing boats don't have that (very handy) option.

• Like 1

Saw this on Tiki Island today. Lust 

51287900988_52ba3f3075_b.jpg  
I had lunch at Scipio Creek Marina in Apalachicola, FL yesterday. There was a huge Yellowfin, a 34 Freeman and a brand new Seahunter all tied up to the dock. All were absolutely beautiful.

Then there was this Valhalla V41 and it blew everything else away. An amazing boat in all aspects. It really put all the other big sleds to shame: even the various sporties. It was an absolute mic drop by whoever owned it. Every boat owner there would have stepped over the other boats and climbed on the Valhalla had they won the lottery yesterday afternoon. I was sorry I didn't get pics for you Surlys.
  • Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

I had lunch at Scipio Creek Marina in Apalachicola, FL yesterday. There was a huge Yellowfin, a 34 Freeman and a brand new Seahunter all tied up to the dock. All were absolutely beautiful.

Then there was this Valhalla V41 and it blew everything else away. An amazing boat in all aspects. It really put all the other big sleds to shame: even the various sporties. It was an absolute mic drop by whoever owned it. Every boat owner there would have stepped over the other boats and climbed on the Valhalla had they won the lottery yesterday afternoon. I was sorry I didn't get pics for you Surlys.

Never seen one. The Freeman above is a 42LR. Base on the Valhalla V41 is $600k, the Freeman $850k. I thought HCB was king in Florida?

V41

gorgeous in blue

51289949585_794122bcb1_m.jpg

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

My peer group is all fisherman who now have families and do some sandbar time. Contender and Pathfinder basically control. My "big boat" is a Pathfinder 23HPS.

My buddy had lunch with us yesterday and he's in a Contender 33ST (I think - it's the 33 contender with the stepped hull). He's got a deposit down on a Freeman 34 build slot coming in January 2024.

Walking the docks yesterday he openly admitted that the Valhalla made the wrapped 34 Freeman look like a high school kids truck. We both fish a lot and eyeball boats all the time. It was notably impressive and put the other boats in their place.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Walking the docks yesterday he openly admitted that the Valhalla made the wrapped 34 Freeman look like a high school kids truck. We both fish a lot and eyeball boats all the time. It was notably impressive and put the other boats in their place.

Wouldn’t that be expected though, it’s built to sport fisher trim (Viking).    I’m a fan of yacht quality trim but I’d bet dollars to donuts the the Freeman would beat it in every single category outside of “fanciest trim, including resale.  Friend of mine neighbor has a 37’. He’s been offered >100k more than he paid to build it.  I don’t know if they’ve taken delivery but they are getting into a 42 long range next. 

What’s your position on lights? I hear cops are pulling over boaters and telling them that underwater lights and speaker lights are illegal. Looks like the law in Texas is not very specific:

Ҥ 31.064. Lights
A vessel or motorboat when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise in all weather. A vessel or motorboat when underway between sunset and sunrise in all weather must have and exhibit the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for boats of its class. No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be exhibited.

I’m not sure how circular speaker lights or underwater lights that aren’t red or green get confused for anchor or navigation lights. Sounds like a fact question for a jury. The law should be more definitive. Apparently I’m just asking to get pulled over by running them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

What’s your position on lights? I hear cops are pulling over boaters and telling them that underwater lights and speaker lights are illegal. Looks like the law in Texas is not very specific:

Ҥ 31.064. Lights
A vessel or motorboat when not at dock must have and exhibit at least one bright light, lantern, or flashlight from sunset to sunrise in all weather. A vessel or motorboat when underway between sunset and sunrise in all weather must have and exhibit the lights prescribed by the commandant of the Coast Guard for boats of its class. No other lights that may be mistaken for those prescribed may be exhibited.

I’m not sure how circular speaker lights or underwater lights that aren’t red or green get confused for anchor or navigation lights. Sounds like a fact question for a jury. The law should be more definitive. Apparently I’m just asking to get pulled over by running them though.

I would think if sitting, you can run whatever you want as long as it isn’t the same color as the lights used while underway. While moving, they should probably all be off or at least the ones visible should be off or turned down to not cause issues.

5 hours ago, Bob Lives! said:

Ҥ 31.064. Lights

It's all just a pretext for them to board and search you.  It's funny how the Heroes choose when and where to "enforce" these idiotic laws/rules.  I used to go out on Lake Austin late and do a whole Pink Floyd/Laser light show for the potheads at Commons Ford.  One night I noticed the APD center console looming about 15 yards away while in the midst of it all.  I immediately turned the music down and hollered over to them, "Is this a problem?"

The APD guys hollered back, "Naw, it's cool, we're just enjoying the show!  Turn it back up"

A few weeks later I did the exact same deal and a new crop of caped crusaders pulled up.  They gave me the what-for about my lights.  Something about the colors "simulating" law enforcement.  I mean, these were lasers.  No one on the planet, not even the Herbal Americans partaking while blending with Floyd & the Universe would have mistaken me for a cop boat.  The mental gymnastics it took to get to that thought process was breathtaking.

They boarded me, checked everything - life vests, horn, extinguisher, all of it.  No ticket was written, but I got a full throated lecture from the 23 yr old dipshit who, apparently, just had nothing better to do that evening.

But hey, they made it home safely to their families that night.

tldr - It's a crapshoot.

• Like 1

I have a surf boat with all the lights. When I run it’s just nav and anchor lights. When it’s a dark night with no moon any light can cause visibility issues. The deal with underwater lights is that as you hit wake your lights actually pop out of the water and the person behind you gets a full blast of those lights. On a calm lake it’s no big deal. On Travis it’s a major issue. Those underwater lights are constantly popping up blinding the person behind you.  Underwater lights, tower lights and cabin lights is just a minor nuisance. What really bothers me are the boats running with their docking lights on. So many this weekend and they aren’t all renters. 

Edited by FizzleFish
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, FizzleFish said:

I have a surf boat with all the lights. When I run it’s just nav and anchor lights. When it’s a dark night with no moon any light can cause visibility issues. The deal with underwater lights is that as you hit wake your lights actually pop out of the water and the person behind you gets a full blast of those lights. On a calm lake it’s no big deal. On Travis it’s a major issue. Those underwater lights are constantly popping up blinding the person behind you.  Underwater lights, tower lights and cabin lights is just a minor nuisance. What really bothers me are the boats running with their docking lights on. So many this weekend and they aren’t all renters. 

Agree about the docking lights. Didn’t think about the underwater ones, I’ll probably watch that more closely. We do run them when no one else is out there, for the kids you know.

50F879A3-DEC2-4AB7-826D-B152EE2F7D5E.jpeg

I've decided the sea torments me. it's great when I'm there but when I'm not it's after me, constantly.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do besides say fuck it and give in more often and for longer periods of time.  Quitting land life is looking more and more likely.  thankfully I get two days next weekend in Fla but after that I have to wait and wait and wait. 

Edited by troph

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

It’s lightbars on the coast. If you want to see how bright a tugboat’s spotlight is, run the ICW with a light bar on. Don’t forget your sunscreen. 

I about boarded someone like a motherfucking pirate not long ago.  Running towards each other in the ditch and they had me lit up from 1000 yds all the way thru passing us. Godamnit million lumen light bars on the bow and burn bar. Couldn’t see a fucking thing.  We finally just slowed to a stop until they passed by us. Took 5 mins to get my night vision back.  If you need 100” of collective light bar to get down the ditch, you need a class in boating.  

• Hook 'Em 1