The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

So this thing went up on the beach at Paradise Cove, Malibu.  A beauty to be sure, but they went through a major salvage operation, and seeing what's left of it makes me wonder "why bother".  I guess stripping for parts may make it worth it.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/2021/07/12/#update-on-the-demise-of-aequus

23 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Outstanding.  As a proud owner of a "vintage" Catalina myself, I say "cheers!".  Now let's work on your headsail trim.  Is your headsail rack on the rail?  Do you have another inboard track?  If so, sheet it to the inboard track.  The sheet is way to far outside.

I wasn’t in charge. Yes it’s too far out.  But no the track is outside. Co-owner is self taught. But I’m a no0b too so I was quiet. 

So today wasn’t my first day of unsupervised sailing but it was my first day on my new old boat. Fuck, it was a shit show. 

It ended up being too windy but we didn’t even make it that far. Everything that went wrong kept us from actually sailing and Oh my god did everything go wrong.  I figured it all out before we left for the night but I’ll put it this way…. I’m in the bath tub now with a glass of wine. 

Finished strong though with a perfect approach and dock - kids were champs and I figured out all the issues before we left while the boat was safely secured. 

My issues were mostly the motor - I thought I knew what I was doing but I didn’t. I couldn’t get it started at first geez - it’s brand new less than 30 mins so it’s finicky but damn it took a ton out of me. Then it didn’t lock down in the water and we had already gone out so we had zero control in reverse.  I figured it out but we drifted for a while in the marina.  But just like the ski rope, didn’t panic figured it out at the last second. Yes this is the second time in a month I almost slammed a boat up against the rocks. Lol.

Then I couldn’t figure out the swivel lock, so I couldn’t control the boat well even though the prop stayed in the water.

tried to hoist the mainsail but later figured out it wouldn’t work because an unnecessary in my opinion clip was on the gooseneck near the mast but I couldn’t see it. Kept the mainsail from going up. I said kids fuck it, it’s too windy (white caps probably over 15 knots) we are super stressed let’s call it a night.

took three approaches to the slip to pull in but we did so with perfection. That’s the way to finish strong!

we ended the night laughing and realizing that we need 2-3 more outings to know the boat well but after that, I think we will be fine.

cheers 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2021 at 12:19 PM, Handcruser said:

Finally got her out yesterday.  Spent most of my time on the water runnung out the old gas and wiping down surfaces.  Need new tags.  Very proud of my decal game over the "Air Nautique".  Dark Side Of The Lagoon...

IMG_3229.heic

IMG_3226.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Had another one of those "Great days" of boat ownership yesterday.

Last time we went out the batteries were dead and I had to use the portable jump started to get the boat started. Pulled the batteries, charged them up in the garage and took them to a place to get tested and the showed they were fine.

So lug those fuckers out to the boat and get them in. Back up the FJ to the boat and the trailer won't go down on the ball. Fuck with it for 20 minutes and it finally gets on. Start pulling the boat out to get it in a better place to hook up the chains and realize I have a flat tire on the trailer. Yea Fuck!

38 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Last time we went out the batteries were dead and I had to use the portable jump started to get the boat started. Pulled the batteries, charged them up in the garage and took them to a place to get tested and the showed they were fine.

So lug those fuckers out to the boat and get them in. Back up the FJ to the boat and the trailer won't go down on the ball. Fuck with it for 20 minutes and it finally gets on. Start pulling the boat out to get it in a better place to hook up the chains and realize I have a flat tire on the trailer. Yea Fuck!

Yup.  You are now firmly entrenched in-between your "two best days." :)

But that doesn't mean there still aren't plenty of great days to be had.

How old are your trailer tires, do you know?  They'll dry rot and go flat even when just sitting, or alternatively they'll blow out in spectacular fashion on the highway.  They need to be replaced every 5 years at the very longest.  Conservative folks will say every 3 years.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

Welcome to "boat life".

Murder Hornet demands your obedience to provide whatever grist the mill requires!

Had that Nautique out on the water and she ran rough as shit for about the first 45 minutes under power.   I'd trottle up and the boat would bog down and go slower than it was at low RPM.  Figured it was the old gas, so I just kept running her as all the temps and pressures were ok.  Finally, it was like something grabbed and the boat lunged forward and ran like it was supposed to.  I cleared out the system a bit and then shut her down to start cleaning the windshield off, which was so dirty I couldn't even see through it.  Did that and wiped down a few other surfaces and then decided to crank her back up again.  Put in my super secret code, hit the "start" button, and nothing.

FUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Tried it again.  Nothing.  Now I'm 2 miles from the ramp where I put in and I'm digging through the engine compartment trying to figure out wtf is wrong.  Nothing there that I can see, so I check the batteries and their connections.  Nada.  Now I'm on my back underneath the dash checking all of my fuses to see if that's the issue.  Nope.  

FUUUUUUUUCK!!!

As I grab my iPhone to call SeaTow I happen to glance down and what do I see?  The little kill switch plastic depress thingy was just barely askew.  Flicked it w/my index finger, heard the "snap", and hit the start button.  Vrrrrrrooooooom!

I must have knocked it cockeyed when I was cleaning.  Can't believe I didn't check that very first thing, but I was so caught up in how rough it was running I defaulted to the "Oh fuck, $4000 failure here!!!"

Boat life.

Edited by Cajun

Buddy just bought a 2009 Nautique, first trip out it overheats. Took it in to get checked out, motor is shot. The overheat cutoff didn’t kick in properly so it melted all of the wiring and they believe it cooked the internals. Not sure if it was a water pump or impeller issue at this point. Goes back to if you buy a new inboard, immediately change the impeller and fluids, change the trailer tires, etc. He overpaid for the boat and now is probably going to drop another $8k on a new motor.

Boat ownership is a constant pain in the ass, but the good days make it worth it.

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

And not a day more for anything under 16”.  

What if stored inside?  Same deal?

Ones on my Nautique trailer are 4 yrs old and look brand new.  But I know from my two divorces that looks aren't everything.

Edited by Cajun

I've been good with boat and RV tires at 5 years.  RV stays outside, boat is in covered storage.

But if they LOOK bad, then you're definitely on the clock.  Replace them all at once, otherwise you'll be doing them one at a time, on the side of the road if you're unlucky.

No idea. They looked pretty rough when I bought it last fall. Probably need at least a few new ones.
Guess I better drag it over to discount tire.

Get a set of Goodyear Endurance and you will be good to go. Also check out your spare, might need to replace it too.
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Obv better. I just don’t trust them. Cheap insurance for me. 

*my avg “commute” to use the boat is 2.5 hours down 59.  

I've got a different variable there.  From my storage to the ramp is .7 miles.  If I have to go to another ramp b/c it's too crowded my options B & C are 1.6 mi and 4.5 mi respectively.

That said, I absolutely get what you're saying.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I've got a different variable there.  From my storage to the ramp is .7 miles.  If I have to go to another ramp b/c it's too crowded my options B & C are 1.6 mi and 4.5 mi respectively.

That said, I absolutely get what you're saying.

Yeah I knew you were close.  That changes all the math. GY finally came out with some good 14’s last year. I’ve got them on the boat, a few flatbeds, and now the RV. We’ll see how they hold up.   But I’ve got a friend who had to redo pretty much his console aft gelcote because one blew, got jammed between the fender and boat, and did work until he could get pulled over on the shoulder. It damn near rubbed thru his pathfinder.   He could have bought many many sets of tires for what that cost him.  

3 hours ago, Brew said:

Buddy just bought a 2009 Nautique, first trip out it overheats. Took it in to get checked out, motor is shot. The overheat cutoff didn’t kick in properly so it melted all of the wiring and they believe it cooked the internals. Not sure if it was a water pump or impeller issue at this point. Goes back to if you buy a new inboard, immediately change the impeller and fluids, change the trailer tires, etc. He overpaid for the boat and now is probably going to drop another $8k on a new motor.

Boat ownership is a constant pain in the ass, but the good days make it worth it.

I'll be amazed if this only costs 8.  I had to replace one in a SAN back in 2003ish and it cost that much back then.  Sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I knew you were close.  That changes all the math. GY finally came out with some good 14’s last year. I’ve got them on the boat, a few flatbeds, and now the RV. We’ll see how they hold up.   But I’ve got a friend who had to redo pretty much his console aft gelcote because one blew, got jammed between the fender and boat, and did work until he could get pulled over on the shoulder. It damn near rubbed thru his pathfinder.   He could have bought many many sets of tires for what that cost him.  

I've always had good luck with Carlisle and terrible luck with Goodyear, but I've heard good things about the new GYs. I'm in the same boat as you in that my commute is 3.5Hrs from Georgetown to Seadrift. I've hopefully got another year on mine, but They'll get replaced spring of next year. I had to replace one last year when I backed over an antler shed putting it back in the barn at the ranch. Little 1st year 4pt shed in a clump of grass. Didn't even see it. Of course it went right through the sidewall. 

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've always had good luck with Carlisle and terrible luck with Goodyear, but I've heard good things about the new GYs. I'm in the same boat as you in that my commute is 3.5Hrs from Georgetown to Seadrift. I've hopefully got another year on mine, but They'll get replaced spring of next year. I had to replace one last year when I backed over an antler shed putting it back in the barn at the ranch. Little 1st year 4pt shed in a clump of grass. Didn't even see it. Of course it went right through the sidewall. 

I’ve bought 16 of the endurance’s over the last year and a half.  So far so good.  But agree, the old marathons were good, then they went to shit and Carlisle was better. But I never had great luck with Carlisle.  I feel for you guys with single axle trailers.  Don’t know how y’all do it.  

The Goodyear Marathons from North America were supposed to be better than the ones from China.  I didn't have any issues with the Canadian Marathons, but now all of my trailers have Carlisle on them, and no issues there either.

17 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I'll be amazed if this only costs 8.  I had to replace one in a SAN back in 2003ish and it cost that much back then.  Sucks. 

Yeah, $8k sounds way low.

At least he's gonna end up w/a kickass Nautique w/ZERO hrs on the engine when it's all said and done.

Just got the new impeller/fluids thing done to my MC.  New prop too.  Boat Town called and said, "Come and get her!"  Reminded me of when I worked in Arkansas and dads would yell the same to their sons about their sisters.

23 hours ago, Brew said:

I asked CHIEF Jr. what he thought the cost would be. If the heads survived, probably about $11k. If it cooked the heads, then your buddy is probably looking at $15k to get it back on the water. He said he has never heard of a Nautique overheat alarm not working. Makes you wonder about the previous owner.

If he takes it to a dealer, the boat would be borderline totaled. He recommended that your buddy buy his own marine short block (if the heads are ok) or long block (if they are shot) from a Jasper Engines dealer, and have that installed by a reputable independent shop. He works for an independent that is licensed to do warranty work, and factory authorized work on Yamaha, Tohatsu, Bennington, Nautique, Tig'e, etc. That should save him quite a bit over taking it to a dealer, and will be much quicker as well.

All of the harnesses and sensors that are burnt can be purchased through Volvo. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
Harnesses and sensors

The last one I priced was on a MC 205 replacement through a dealer using Jasper long blocks but that has been a few years ago. I ended up selling it with a cracked block (fully disclosed) rather than fix it and bought the X1 I sold last year. If he gets quotes anywhere near the numbers above, we’ll just do it ourselves. $15k for a long block replacement on a 2009 boat is asinine.

There is no doubt at this point that he got fucked by the seller. There was a terminal issue of some sort that will hopefully get cleared up when it is pulled. Nothing you can do now but write checks.

27 minutes ago, troph said:

Man the surls are having a helluva boat year.  I ain’t backing down.  About to board a 70 footer in Miami … again.  I’m might love boats more than I love a fine lady. 

We were over there Wednesday looking at boats and letting the kids see the beaches on the other side of the state. Weather, water, etc are all great right now, just hot as hell. The boat game in Miami is otherworldly. I could dog do days on the water just touring marinas. There is a boat yard in Aventura that had a couple of massive yachts that looked like they were getting final rigging done.

47 minutes ago, Brew said:

The last one I priced was on a MC 205 replacement through a dealer using Jasper long blocks but that has been a few years ago. I ended up selling it with a cracked block (fully disclosed) rather than fix it and bought the X1 I sold last year. If he gets quotes anywhere near the numbers above, we’ll just do it ourselves. $15k for a long block replacement on a 2009 boat is asinine.

There is no doubt at this point that he got fucked by the seller. There was a terminal issue of some sort that will hopefully get cleared up when it is pulled. Nothing you can do now but write checks.

I forgot that you were a serious wrench turner, till I looked back in the Classic Car thread. Yeah, this one isn't too hard a job. If you can get an engine, I'll do what I can to help y'all on harnesses and sensors. Without labor costs, I would think that $8-10k would be reasonable.

CHIEF

27 minutes ago, Brew said:

We were over there Wednesday looking at boats and letting the kids see the beaches on the other side of the state. Weather, water, etc are all great right now, just hot as hell. The boat game in Miami is otherworldly. I could dog do days on the water just touring marinas. There is a boat yard in Aventura that had a couple of massive yachts that looked like they were getting final rigging done.

I think we are on an older azimut today, redone I’m told. We’re guests this time just along for the ride.  I think we are going to have our coffee tomorrow siting on a park bench next to the ICW. 

weather is great today, a little rainy now but it will pass, walk to coffee was so pleasant. I probably won’t want to live here long term but it’s a great place to visit.  Diving and fishing from key largo and islamorada tomorrow and Monday. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I forgot that you were a serious wrench turner, till I looked back in the Classic Car thread. Yeah, this one isn't too hard a job. If you can get an engine, I'll do what I can to help y'all on harnesses and sensors. Without labor costs, I would think that $8-10k would be reasonable.

CHIEF

I was a lot more serious years ago and have done my fair share of replacements on vehicles and still have the equipment. We’ll see where it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, troph said:

I think we are on an older azimut today, redone I’m told. We’re guests this time just along for the ride.  I think we are going to have our coffee tomorrow siting on a park bench next to the ICW. 

weather is great today, a little rainy now but it will pass, walk to coffee was so pleasant. I probably won’t want to live here long term but it’s a great place to visit.  Diving and fishing from key largo and islamorada tomorrow and Monday. 

I prefer the more laid back lifestyle on the west coast of FL. The whole Miami scene isn’t my idea of fun, but the boats and the beach scenery make it worth the visits. You’ll see the occasional big boat pass through the ICW on this side, but it’s just a different world two hours across the Everglades.

Much better boat day today.

Told the wife I wanted to leave the house at 9 and for the first time ever we actually left on time. Boat started up and ran fine. Guess in the future I just need to charge the batteries up before we head out if it sits for more than a week or two.

Bought a wakesurf board and rope yesterday. Boys each took a few turns trying to get up. Between me not knowing how fast to go and not knowing what to tell them they had no chance. Saw a nieghbor on the lake later and he coached me through it so I'm good now. Sending the boys to a one week surf/wakeboard school in two weeks so someone who knows what they are doing can help them.

I had forgotten how nice Lake Austin is from 9-12am. Not too much traffic and a few stretches  of glass.

5 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Sending the boys to a one week surf/wakeboard school in two weeks so someone who knows what they are doing can help them.

Can you share this info.  I need to get my boys up and running, and if instruction comes from someone not named "dad" it is better received. 

21 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Much better boat day today.

Told the wife I wanted to leave the house at 9 and for the first time ever we actually left on time. Boat started up and ran fine. Guess in the future I just need to charge the batteries up before we head out if it sits for more than a week or two.

Bought a wakesurf board and rope yesterday. Boys each took a few turns trying to get up. Between me not knowing how fast to go and not knowing what to tell them they had no chance. Saw a nieghbor on the lake later and he coached me through it so I'm good now. Sending the boys to a one week surf/wakeboard school in two weeks so someone who knows what they are doing can help them.

I had forgotten how nice Lake Austin is from 9-12am. Not too much traffic and a few stretches  of glass.

Does your boat have a disconnect? If not, I would look to get one installed. Batteries should not run down that fast unless they are crap or you have power drawing from somewhere. You can put an isolator/disconnect on the boat where you can turn the power completely off or isolate to using battery 1 or 2 or both when you are running. Just make sure if it’s going to be left in the water or uncovered the bilge is wired hot so it will pump water out when needed. If it is going to sit a while, put a battery tender in it but that should be unnecessary unless you are getting into the weeks.

Every boat is different on surfing/boarding and then it also changes with weight. You’ll find the sweet spot for speed with practice, but I would also find someone you can go out with to walk through everything. It’s a constant learning process. I haven’t pulled a new boarder in a long time. My youngest decided to try it again and we couldn’t get her up. I finally figured out I needed to come out of the hole slowly, let her stand, and then go. She couldn’t hold the rope and drag at all, but it was completely different than everyone else that rides.

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Can you share this info.  I need to get my boys up and running, and if instruction comes from someone not named "dad" it is better received. 

PM sent. 

LOL at the dad comment. My boys are the same way. Don't blame them a bit for wakeboard/surf as I don't know shit, but infuriating when they won't listen to me when it comes to shit I actually know about, like golf and computers.

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Does your boat have a disconnect? If not, I would look to get one installed. Batteries should not run down that fast unless they are crap or you have power drawing from somewhere. You can put an isolator/disconnect on the boat where you can turn the power completely off or isolate to using battery 1 or 2 or both when you are running. Just make sure if it’s going to be left in the water or uncovered the bilge is wired hot so it will pump water out when needed. If it is going to sit a while, put a battery tender in it but that should be unnecessary unless you are getting into the weeks.

Every boat is different on surfing/boarding and then it also changes with weight. You’ll find the sweet spot for speed with practice, but I would also find someone you can go out with to walk through everything. It’s a constant learning process. I haven’t pulled a new boarder in a long time. My youngest decided to try it again and we couldn’t get her up. I finally figured out I needed to come out of the hole slowly, let her stand, and then go. She couldn’t hold the rope and drag at all, but it was completely different than everyone else that rides.

Yes, there's a disconnect. I'm thinking that it wasn't put in the right position last time and the radio or some other small draw drained them down.

Getting a pro to come on the boat this week for a few hours for a private lesson. Half for me and half for the boys. Also need to read up on the manual on what to do to get the biggest wake. Got it going pretty good but watching other boats go by I know I can get it bigger. (That's what she said)

4 hours ago, Brew said:

I prefer the more laid back lifestyle on the west coast of FL. The whole Miami scene isn’t my idea of fun, but the boats and the beach scenery make it worth the visits. You’ll see the occasional big boat pass through the ICW on this side, but it’s just a different world two hours across the Everglades.

Current view …

FFCFE53B-DBBF-4A38-B322-A226785F52C7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

PM sent. 

LOL at the dad comment. My boys are the same way. Don't blame them a bit for wakeboard/surf as I don't know shit, but infuriating when they won't listen to me when it comes to shit I actually know about, like golf and computers.

Yes, there's a disconnect. I'm thinking that it wasn't put in the right position last time and the radio or some other small draw drained them down.

Getting a pro to come on the boat this week for a few hours for a private lesson. Half for me and half for the boys. Also need to read up on the manual on what to do to get the biggest wake. Got it going pretty good but watching other boats go by I know I can get it bigger. (That's what she said)

Older hulls need weight and usually a lot of it. Ballast front, center, back corners, and a lot of additional weight on the corner you are going to ride off of.  Then have everyone sit on the rider side around the back also. They have detachable wedges and other things that are also supposed to help, but weight and getting the back corner as low as possible will generally get a nice wave. In my older boats it would take as much as 3000+ pounds of ballast plus people to get a good wave. They just don’t have the shape, size, or mechanical gizmos to get there without it. Even on the brand new one, it’s going to take another 600-1000 pound bag in the back corner to get a great wave I think.

The Tig'e from a few pages back has 800 gallons worth of ballast tanks in the back. With the tanks full, 11.8 mph is its sweet spot. It's programable, but 11-12 mph with full tanks throws a great wake that you don't have to work to stay on top. You can relax and work on other shit.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

The Tig'e from a few pages back has 800 gallons worth of ballast tanks in the back. With the tanks full, 11.8 mph is its sweet spot. It's programable, but 11-12 mph with full tanks throws a great wake that you don't have to work to stay on top. You can relax and work on other shit.

CHIEF

800 gallons? That’s a ton of weight. Crazy stuff you lake guys are into. 

19 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

800 gallons? That’s a ton of weight. Crazy stuff you lake guys are into. 

I just watch and don't really partake. 800 gallons, I was told, is the whole amount aft of center. It's crazy we have gone from minimal wake while slalom skiing, to as big a wake and a "curl" that can be made in wake surfing. Ski boats are diametrically apposed a mere 35-40 years apart.

CHIEF

Well, I had a nice suprise at Boat Town picking up the MC this morning.  Got new spark plugs, new impeller, all fluids/filters changed, a new prop, and they replaced my bent trailer jack that this dumbass caused b/c I thought the thing was off the hitch when it wasn't.  

Get handed the bill and it's $840.

Cousin prices are cool.

• Hook 'Em 2