The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 7/16/2021 at 10:54 AM, Cajun said:

What if stored inside?  Same deal?

Ones on my Nautique trailer are 4 yrs old and look brand new.  But I know from my two divorces that looks aren't everything.

Inside is better.  On concrete?  Because that is better than caliche.  And caliche is better than dirt.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, utee94 said:

I've been good with boat and RV tires at 5 years.  RV stays outside, boat is in covered storage.

But if they LOOK bad, then you're definitely on the clock.  Replace them all at once, otherwise you'll be doing them one at a time, on the side of the road if you're unlucky.

This right here.  Also keep a good spare.

And with any trailer with tandem axles, I keep a piece of 4"x4" with one edge beveled at about a 45 degree angle with me at all times.  Because if I do have a flat, I can just drive up on the 4x4 on the good tire and it will lift the bad one high enough where it is easy to change.  Quicker, safer, and and easier than messing with a jack.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

This right here.  Also keep a good spare.

And with any trailer with tandem axles, I keep a piece of 4"x4" with one edge beveled at about a 45 degree angle with me at all times.  Because if I do have a flat, I can just drive up on the 4x4 on the good tire and it will lift the bad one high enough where it is easy to change.  Quicker, safer, and and easier than messing with a jack.

Sofa king simple it's genius.

Wish this was posted about a month ago when I got a nail in one of the back tires.  Would of saved about $135 on that big ass floor jack I bought.

• Hook 'Em 1

So we had a race Saturday night. A big triangle in the Southern Chesapeake Bay. We sailed over to our turning mark by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, only to find it wasn't there. Apparently it went missing that day, a fairly important mark too, MoA for the Hampton Roads approach. sailed the rest of the course after rounding where it should be, only to find the RC had abandoned the race while we are all across the bay and out of VHF range. Furk.

• Haha 1

As a business owner, I for some reason feel bad taking days off.  Yesterday me and a friend decided to head to the lakehouse at lunch and then go out on the boat and sit on noodles at Cypress Springs lake (Mt Vernon) and drink all the Mic Ultras available in Franklin County. And I think we accomplished that. It was glorious, and we are now going to do it again at his house boat at Degray Lake (Arkie) on Tuesday next week.  Life is short, have fun.  

Edited by markstanco
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, troph said:

Boat on 71 finally moving again, closed two lanes of traffic to rescue that fucker. News out to cover it. Made me late to tennis today. Asshole. Girlfriend sent it to qualified capitan. 

Saw that piece of shit when they first grounded it.  Piece of junk trailer with a big ass boat on top. Wife tells me there is a whole uproar on whatever social media she is looking at, and some guy trying to unfuck the situation. 

19 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Saw that piece of shit when they first grounded it.  Piece of junk trailer with a big ass boat on top. Wife tells me there is a whole uproar on whatever social media she is looking at, and some guy trying to unfuck the situation. 

Yup and the owner is bitching about how awful boat ownership is. Really dude? You bought the biggest sized piece of shit you could afford with a jank-ass trailer and it didn’t work. I want 5 boats and I’ll love each of them like they are sister wives. Ain’t no body got time for his boats suck bullshit. Fuck him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

As a business owner, I for some reason feel bad taking days off.  Yesterday me and a friend decided to head to the lakehouse at lunch and then go out on the boat and sit on noodles at Cypress Springs lake (Mt Vernon) and drink all the Mic Ultras available in Franklin County. And I think we accomplished that. It was glorious, and we are now going to do it again at his house bout at Degray Lake (Arkie) on Tuesday next week.  Life is short, have fun.  

Something I haven’t figured out how to do that I need to work on. I get away plenty, but I still end up working most of it just not sitting in the office. Getting a couple hours in fishing several afternoons a week is a positive right now, but I keep telling myself I’m going to put in some full days and just don’t do it.

• Like 1

Something I haven’t figured out how to do that I need to work on. I get away plenty, but I still end up working most of it just not sitting in the office. Getting a couple hours in fishing several afternoons a week is a positive right now, but I keep telling myself I’m going to put in some full days and just don’t do it.

I went in to the office at 1:30 and left at 4. At 49 years old and doing this since 97 I am going to start living a little more.

Had a bizarre/sobering experience at the boat ramp today.  While transferring some stuff from my truck to the boat, still out of the water a guy wanders up and politely asks, "Mind if I take a look at your prop?"  I was like, "Uh, sure.  Something wrong with it?".

He then says, "Oh no, nothing wrong with your boat.  I was out last weekend driving a friend's AXIS and we were wake surfing.  I hit my friend's foot with the propeller and just wanted to know how far under the boat he had to have gotten."  He said it so nonchalantly that I thought maybe the prop was barely turning.  So I asked if the guy was ok and he said, "Well, he's an EMT, but he's gonna be out of work for awhile", and, again, he said it very matter of factly.

As he said thanks and started to turn away he paused, turned around, pulled out his iphone and asked, "Do you wanna see his foot?"

HO-LEE-FUCK!  There were giant, deep, gashes to the bone starting mid shin all the way down to about mid, top left foot.  I mean the kind of shit where you're wondering if that part of the leg/foot could even be saved.  Like a picture reflecting off of Chief Brody's glasses while flipping pages at the coffee table. What he told me was the he had come around, after the guy fell, to hook up for another run and the wind started to blow him forward so he hit reverse, but went to hard.  Sucked the guy's leg right into the prop.  

Mother of fucking GAWD that was some serious damage.  Wish I hadn't seen it.

Edited by Cajun

11 hours ago, troph said:

Boat on 71 finally moving again, closed two lanes of traffic to rescue that fucker. News out to cover it. Made me late to tennis today. Asshole. Girlfriend sent it to qualified capitan. 

That thing was really annoying and the asshole deserves whatever fine he gets for thinking that shitty ass trailer was going to haul that shitty ass boat.  I live pretty much at 620 and 71 and this has destroyed the east bound side of 71 several times the last week or so.  

• Hook 'Em 2

That thing was really annoying and the asshole deserves whatever fine he gets for thinking that shitty ass trailer was going to haul that shitty ass boat.  I live pretty much at 620 and 71 and this has destroyed the east bound side of 71 several times the last week or so.  

Story, link, pics? I have bot heard about this.

On 7/22/2021 at 10:36 PM, Cajun said:

Had a bizarre/sobering experience at the boat ramp today.  While transferring some stuff from my truck to the boat, still out of the water a guy wanders up and politely asks, "Mind if I take a look at your prop?"  I was like, "Uh, sure.  Something wrong with it?".

He then says, "Oh no, nothing wrong with your boat.  I was out last weekend driving a friend's AXIS and we were wake surfing.  I hit my friend's foot with the propeller and just wanted to know how far under the boat he had to have gotten."  He said it so nonchalantly that I thought maybe the prop was barely turning.  So I asked if the guy was ok and he said, "Well, he's an EMT, but he's gonna be out of work for awhile", and, again, he said it very matter of factly.

As he said thanks and started to turn away he paused, turned around, pulled out his iphone and asked, "Do you wanna see his foot?"

HO-LEE-FUCK!  There were giant, deep, gashes to the bone starting mid shin all the way down to about mid, top left foot.  I mean the kind of shit where you're wondering if that part of the leg/foot could even be saved.  Like a picture reflecting off of Chief Brody's glasses while flipping pages at the coffee table. What he told me was the he had come around, after the guy fell, to hook up for another run and the wind started to blow him forward so he hit reverse, but went to hard.  Sucked the guy's leg right into the prop.  

Mother of fucking GAWD that was some serious damage.  Wish I hadn't seen it.

Ugh that’s horrible. I dont want to see it.  I won’t fuck around with the throttle in reverse anywhere near a surfer - forward and maneuver the long way around. And I’m pretty much done with beers and boating I had one at 6pm tonight when we started and didn’t have a second one until 930pm when we were all done, packed up and headed back to the dock. Drinking and boating is no bueno. 

Much better day sailing …. Started slow reefed main sail only, then full main, then half jib sheet and tacked and jibed around and came in. Minor moments but none when sailing. White caps moved in as the wind picked up and we called it a day. still lots to learn but … Hell yeah, that sound!!

To be fair I saw one this afternoon when we were crossing the bridge out to where our house is. It was hauling ass down the ICW with a full load of people and looked like a nice ride. I was expecting a couple hundred thousand considering there are $90k in Yamahas on the back of it, but $300k for a 2 year old one with 150 hours on it just seems like a lot.

• Hook 'Em 2