The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

30 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That channel can get as pissy as anywhere.  Glad you had a mellow day

Oh we talked about that. Sundowners we’re expected tonight but I don’t think they’ve come to fruition so far. We talked about the way the coast line is oriented and the thermo cycle for winds, just today it was 0-3 knots until noon then it picked up and the seas never changed from 2-3 foot swells and probably 5-6 seconds? When it’s calm it’s really calm here. 

I truly think I’m ready for sailing in protected waters, maybe a tad more experience what keeps me up at night are the problems. I want to be able to deal with them when they come up. Instructor today said something really interesting, he said it’s probably a lot like learning to lawyer, you don’t know what to do then you try and figure it out. He was like, chica, it’s ok just get out there and do it.  That was after we sailed together for a little while.  I’m feeling good about BVI. I’m ready to get on with the rest of my life. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Damn, you are living the life.  I half expect to see a parachute in your near future.  

If you knew how much of it I wasted on bullshit… ugh. But flying and jumping out of planes is NOT my thing. 

Edited by troph

15 hours ago, troph said:

I truly think I’m ready for sailing in protected waters, maybe a tad more experience what keeps me up at night are the problems. I want to be able to deal with them when they come up. Instructor today said something really interesting, he said it’s probably a lot like learning to lawyer, you don’t know what to do then you try and figure it out. He was like, chica, it’s ok just get out there and do it.  That was after we sailed together for a little while.  I’m feeling good about BVI. I’m ready to get on with the rest of my life. 

In the words of the great Captain Ron, "Well if anything's going to happen it's going to happen out there."

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Viking said:

In the words of the great Captain Ron, "Well if anything's going to happen it's going to happen out there."

I think BVI in November as co-capitan is going to be the turning point and I’m about to get more excited about that than anything I’ve ever been exited for in a long time.

On 10/10/2021 at 2:15 PM, troph said:

I think BVI in November as co-capitan is going to be the turning point and I’m about to get more excited about that than anything I’ve ever been exited for in a long time.

You don't need a co-captain.  Get your ASA 101, and then hire a skipper for one day.  Then cut him loose.  The BVIs are the easiest sailing anywhere.  All line-of-sight, dependable tradewinds, short passages.  You can handle it on your own (provided you meet the minimum threshold for experience, and they want you to meet that).

Looks at this dipshittery.  Pontoon boat driver should have his nuts cut off in a prop.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CU-3Urql_2X/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

You don't need a co-captain.  Get your ASA 101, and then hire a skipper for one day.  Then cut him loose.  The BVIs are the easiest sailing anywhere.  All line-of-sight, dependable tradewinds, short passages.  You can handle it on your own (provided you meet the minimum threshold for experience, and they want you to meet that).

Looks at this dipshittery.  Pontoon boat driver should have his nuts cut off in a prop.

I have ASA 101 and 102 or whatever and about 5 independent 27 ft mono hull excursions on my own on the lake and my one supervised SB experience. They aren’t giving me 45 ft cat on my own until I’ve done this once. 

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I can’t begin to explain the asswhipping that would commence after this.  I’m talking board that boat like a motherfucking pirate and doing pirate shit to that “capt”.  Nightmare fuel. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I can’t begin to explain the asswhipping that would commence after this.  I’m talking board that boat like a motherfucking pirate and doing pirate shit to that “capt”.  Nightmare fuel. 

Just watched it. I woulda channeled my old self and combined it with mamma bear and chased those assholes down and rung their necks and had them arrested. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, troph said:

Just watched it. I woulda channeled my old self and combined it with mamma bear and chased those assholes down and rung their necks and had them arrested. 

I would reel in the kids, get everyone settled in and be looking to raise some fucking hell.  I've lost my shit at dumbasses either trailing too close behind or doing dumb shit cutting too close on LT.  And most of our lake time is weekdays, so we don't even fuck with the dumb shit days out there.  There is plenty of room to navigate asshole. 

• Rage+1 1

I’d gladly do time for what I would do to a mf’er who pulled that bullshit.  Even if I hadn’t been pulling a tube.  No excuse for coming that close with all the room to maneuver out there.  That’s an assault and begs to be settled up right there and then.

Someone pulls that shit on me and they’d better have a LOT more fuel onboard than I do.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve never had anyone cut across, but I have had some close calls especially the last two years. We have had some boats get way too close to downed riders and the tubes. I’ve had to come around quickly to a downed rider a couple times because a boat was heading right for one of the kids. We have ended up changing our habits and timing on the water, but it’s just not as much fun lately. Boat is winterized and put up, we’ll try again next year. Maybe I’ll end up with more than 16 hours next year.

On 10/16/2021 at 8:08 PM, Brew said:

I’ve never had anyone cut across, but I have had some close calls especially the last two years. We have had some boats get way too close to downed riders and the tubes. I’ve had to come around quickly to a downed rider a couple times because a boat was heading right for one of the kids. We have ended up changing our habits and timing on the water, but it’s just not as much fun lately. Boat is winterized and put up, we’ll try again next year. Maybe I’ll end up with more than 16 hours next year.

16 hrs?  Holy shit!  I started the Spring with 152 hrs and am over 315 now.  

I need start launching closer to my anchor spot.

We spent June and July at the beach and ended up doing a lot more sitting this year than riding when we were out on it. That plus the kids schedule when school started back have killed our lake time. I really need to put a lift and cover on the dock at the lake to keep from having to haul it back and forth. It would make it easier to run up for a little while during the week. I’m also on a 1000 acre lake, so it’s not like we’re going up to cruise around either. 

@Brew

Yeah, the combination of a new boat (to me) and a new “home” lake culminated in a lot of throttle time.  Now that I’ve found my favorite anchor spots I anticipate fewer hours next season.

That said, the sound system will continue to take a beating.

‘Thanks a lot Pink Floyd & Yacht Rock.

Edited by Cajun

@G650 @Sbbruin @Viking  what do we know about Hanse sailing yachts? 

looking like I'm about a year out from being legit (3-4 ocean excursions under our belt by then and plenty of certifications and training), and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll want to put a boat in a marina in the PR/USVI/BVI area just to get started.  found some nice and well sized Hanse yachts in our possible price range.  Looking at 2010-2016 time frame, in the 50-60 foot range, with enough conveniences for easy two person sailing, thrusters, electric wenches, etc.  We would plan for a month long liveaboard 2-3x a year while we would be down there.  A newer oyster would still be my long term goal, but that's more like 7-10 years out.  we may end up with a cat but I'm not so sure.

anyway, Hanse, what do you know?

Edited by troph

59 minutes ago, troph said:

looking like I'm about a year out from being legit (3-4 ocean excursions under our belt by then and plenty of certifications and training), and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll want to put a boat in a marina in the PR/USVI/BVI area just to get started.  found some nice and well sized Hanse yachts in our possible price range.  Looking at 2010-2016 time frame, in the 50-60 foot range, with enough conveniences for easy two person sailing, thrusters, electric wenches, etc.  We would plan for a month long liveaboard 2-3x a year while we would be down there.  A newer oyster would still be my long term goal, but that's more like 7-10 years out.  we may end up with a cat but I'm not so sure.

`

They are pretty well built, don't think you can go wrong there. Sister company of Dehler. I would probably take them over the newer Oysters as I'm not a fan of keels falling off.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

`

They are pretty well built, don't think you can go wrong there. Sister company of Dehler. I would probably take them over the newer Oysters as I'm not a fan of keels falling off.

I don’t think the keel issue is happening again, it only applied to that 80 foot model which is not in my price range. But fair points. 

Just now, troph said:

I don’t think the keel issue is happening again, it only applied to that 80 foot model which is not in my price range. But fair points. 

I mean, I hope not. But a company that let it happen once is suspect, compounded by two receiverships and totally blank track record from new ownership group and it would take a lot for me to consider one. Probably at least 20 years of no failure, which is how long it will take to prove the new ones won't suffer faigtue failure.

There's basically one no go in the sailing world. The keel falling off. Anything else is manageable.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I hope not. But a company that let it happen once is suspect, compounded by two receiverships and totally blank track record from new ownership group and it would take a lot for me to consider one. Probably at least 20 years of no failure, which is how long it will take to prove the new ones won't suffer faigtue failure.

There's basically one no go in the sailing world. The keel falling off. Anything else is manageable.

point taken.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Solid production boat.  Germans make good boats and cars.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/24/2021 at 10:24 AM, troph said:

Hanse isn't a catamaran so I say no. You want a Leopard 44-46.

I've actually not been on a Hanse so I can't comment on those specifically.

I'm curious as to keeping it year round in the USVI or PR. Lots of boats do that but the insurance has to be $$$ during hurricane season.

3 hours ago, Viking said:

I'm curious as to keeping it year round in the USVI or PR. Lots of boats do that but the insurance has to be $$$ during hurricane season.

100%. Our policy is Nov 1 to May 30. I usually have to get a rider to go down the last week of October. Our yacht actually just made it to Palm Beach today.

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Hanse isn't a catamaran so I say no. You want a Leopard 44-46.

I've actually not been on a Hanse so I can't comment on those specifically.

I’m 2 years out still and I’m thinking Thanksgiving through June some time if I can swing the logistics vs cost of keeping it there year round.  My likely time down there is dec 15-jan 15 and June 1-30 with sporadic spring break type trips until my youngest graduates. If I can find a fla west coast town I like I might split the year. Fla for a long weekend is easy. Miami ain’t my thing and east coast and keys aren’t as safe, which defeats the purpose of moving it to some extent.  

Edited by troph

And re cat versus mono hull no doubt a 50-60 foot cat can be posh as anything I’d ever want but I think in the 50-60 foot range I can deal with the space of a monohull. What the cruising cat doesn’t have at any size is the heeling and I have a feeling I might really end up wanting that. 

Edited by troph

The 2012-2017 bennies and jennies are plenty in the 50-60 range, gently used and affordable (to me). Hanse, Bavaria too. A few others I can’t recall now. troph’s wheels are totally turning. Next year is a vacay year the year after that is the sailboat year.  It’s a mighty fine world we live in gentlemen, especially if we are on the water. 

57 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m 2 years out still and I’m thinking Thanksgiving through June some time if I can swing the logistics vs cost of keeping it there year round.  My likely time down there is dec 15-jan 15 and June 1-30 with sporadic spring break type trips until my youngest graduates. If I can find a fla west coast town I like I might split the year. Fla for a long weekend is easy. Miami ain’t my thing and east coast and keys aren’t as safe, which defeats the purpose of moving it to some extent.  

Getting a boat from Florida to the VIs is a pain in the ass. You're going against the prevailing trade winds so you're basically waiting for a good weather window that might occur every few weeks to get you 100-200 miles east and south and then you wait again. You should look into storing the boat in Grenada during hurricane season. Getting it back from VIs to Grenada is super easy as it's a beam reach both ways.

39 minutes ago, Viking said:

Getting a boat from Florida to the VIs is a pain in the ass. You're going against the prevailing trade winds so you're basically waiting for a good weather window that might occur every few weeks to get you 100-200 miles east and south and then you wait again. You should look into storing the boat in Grenada during hurricane season. Getting it back from VIs to Grenada is super easy as it's a beam reach both ways.

That’s good to know, I hadn’t gotten to whether I sail it or move it. I know Fla to VIs and VIs to Fla isn’t an easy sail. 

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Yeah, that’s a great big hell no for me. I like a nice leisurely cruise speed.

That’s the beauty. You can cruise at about 45 at 2200 rpm. BUT, you also have the ability to haul the mail when you need.  The Hell no for me is they don’t have a great ride in rough water, oh and the price is a bit too much for what you get imo.  

1 hour ago, davidg said:

What does a rigged out one of those cost?  I know a 450r by itself is ~$60k.

I priced one mildly outfitted (I’m not gaudy with boats) at 125k ~2 years ago.  Eta: he had pricing on the site at one time, haven’t looked in awhile as I think I’m just going to repower current sled when it’s time (with 400 probably) 

Edited by fattyflattie