The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

On 1/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, troph said:

@Viking what are you sailing these days?

It's a Manta 42 catamaran. Here's a picture of one (not ours):

manta.jpeg.e031d9f0bc3c7355336f4bc7dec64216.jpeg

Well made boats built in Florida for owners and not charter. They're a bit small on the inside compared to modern Lagoon/Leopard/Fountaine-Pajot but it's perfect size for us and has decent performance.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 6:09 AM, Viking said:

It's a Manta 42 catamaran. Here's a picture of one (not ours):

manta.jpeg.e031d9f0bc3c7355336f4bc7dec64216.jpeg

Well made boats built in Florida for owners and not charter. They're a bit small on the inside compared to modern Lagoon/Leopard/Fountaine-Pajot but it's perfect size for us and has decent performance.

Yes, they supposedly sail WAY better than the Lagoon slugs.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, troph said:

I guess I'm back, I see my ignore list needs to be updated (f the haters), we had a great time in BVI over thanksgiving.  long story, lots of pics and videos. had to kick a machismo captain to the curb but our mutiny on the 45 foot cat was ultimately successful, we took it as our own and sailed the nursery school waters of the BVIs like we owned the place.  got up to 9 knots at 35-40 degrees into the wind (apparent wind was 18-22 knots) sailing a school bus of a yacht. even got the girl to show some leg, though she wouldn't fully lift her skirt.  manuvered around in that twin diesel under power like I'd been there before, super, super easy.  I'm actually excited to see what this means going forward...

just finished key west too on my client's hatty.  another great trip the guy has the right idea.  we dove on our own off his boat as well. had a great time, the marina life is absolutely how we want to do this. key west food scene was surprisingly good.  the music scene was surprisingly bad. We are infinitely spoiled here in Austin with food and music.  we found there wasn't much to do after water sports - we did some fly fishing, diving, sunset cruising, off shore fishing, marina people/boat watching.  maybe it's just where we are in life.  that said, there is so much to do around the water, we really, really enjoyed it.  definitely going back. looks like the boat will be in Islamorada though which is fine by me.  looks like I'm getting roped into a fishing tourney too this summer on the boat.  no complaints.

ended the trip in Miami seeing friends, definitely over that scene though a day or two in south beach low-key is hard to complain about.

looks like we will do the BVIs with another couple and our kids as soon as school is out. diving, this time anegada and even some fishing. pretty cool scene in the BVIs actually. still recovering. Oil nut bay and bitter end coming online while we were there and shortly after.  looking forward to more development prior to our return.  soggy dollar was overrated btw. loved soper's hole and saba rock.  for a variety of reasons we missed the north side of tortola, mostly related to how the mutiny played out.

speaking of how easy that twin diesel was at sub 8 knots and maneuvering in tight spots, thinking about a trawler for the san juans soon too, but soon probably means 2023 as we have our trip to Tahiti planned for march, been postponed twice now for covid. looks like some amalfi coast action too in september, scouting out our retirement anchorage spots on a small ship cruise.

met some really cool cruisers at the marinas over xmas and new years.  inspired. not sure what direction we will go, but need that saltwater cruiser in 2-3 years I know that.  still enamored with the new oysters (I hear you g650), but I've been eyeing the moody ds 54 the last few weeks.  looks like a great florida, ICW, gulf, bahamas cruiser actually. new are 2 years out, none used that I can tell. will need an interim boat first if we pull the trigger, maybe a used hanse 40-45.  who knows.  cats seem too much for US waters, ideal for anchoring in the Caribbean. not sure we need that much space though. my gf probably won't do too many overnights so coastal cruising is likely our limit, though I guarantee you I'll convince one of my sons to blue water cruise with me.

boat pron...

ds 54

ds54-1.jpg

ds54-2.jpg

ds54-3.jpg

I love the instrument layout on the helm stations, and there is a nav station in the saloon that would allow monitoring and auto pilot adjustment from inside.  for comfort this seems rad.  but it's fully automatic, can't tell if there is any manual override, all lines are basically hidden to a point where you really don't see them at all, and it has a self-tacking jib system.  I do think a lot of the fun of sailing may be taken out of it by this set up.

that said, they nail the deck saloon concept.  the bulwark is a really nice feature, as is same level living when we start talking about sailing with our puppy. He's 2 and will be 4-5 when we acquire such a boat so it's something to pay attention to.  funny reading on the forums how much salty dogs hate the sliders.  it's a monohull cat, by design. that's what's awesome about it.  when I do the ARC across the atlantic, I doubt it will be in one of these though.  boats are inherently compromises.  I can see why this has a lot of appeal for a life in the Caribbean or Med cruising around from wine and dinner spot to another wine and dinner spot, with virtually none on the used market right now.

I want to see the Hatt! 

On 2/8/2022 at 6:51 PM, troph said:

Look s like it’s hauling ass petty good

Troph, if you're still looking for a Cat, I think I found one for you.

https://www.yachtseller.net/boats/luxury-yachts/catamaran-model-2019-lagoon-seventy-76-ft-41794.html?fbclid=IwAR1mFJBHOBLFiSq-bAti5__ClfCv_vaj3M7o5eFRDVLhZrKrf58tdXWr7mU

• Drool 1

On 2/14/2022 at 5:23 PM, Sbbruin said:

For whatever reason it isn’t showing up, we’re on a FP 50 foot in June already booked. For purchase though, I’m moving more toward performance - shocking. Eyeing the kinetic 54 right now, gorgeous boat, twin helms outside and one centered inside. I’d love a monohull still dream about them but with the sea sickness she gets my water living dreams probably require a cat. These look like they took a legit mono hull and said let’s make it two. New company, couldn’t or wouldn’t want to afford new anyway, hoping for a few years of good sailing stories then I’ll buy a gently used. Course this is only this weeks plan… and plans change.

47015AF0-7357-4DC7-8927-38FAF916F07E.jpeg

9F8ADBFB-A2FA-48D3-8DB8-CDEF5B337730.jpeg

DEF10CAE-1A46-4E46-80F2-188BA11D2C9C.jpeg

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

You're finally on the right track Troph! If you have the money a performance oriented cat is 100% the way to go. Hopefully your wife finds the motion of the cat while sailing to be more to her liking. I've met some people that handle monos just fine but get sick on cats.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well we wrapped up our Florida season with a brand new race from Miami to scenic Port Canaveral. Eleuthera was unavailable this year so SORC had to scramble to invent a race from whole cloth. In a fortuitous turn of events the wind ended up being SE at 15 to 20 knots for most of the way giving us a reach and run with the gulf stream which was pretty damn acceptable. We ended up with some pretty good pressure after dark and topped out about 24 and some change on the speedo and covered the 200 miles in 15 hours. Unfortunately the last hour was barely over drifting but que sera and shit.

2675.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

For whatever reason it isn’t showing up, we’re on a FP 50 foot in June already booked. For purchase though, I’m moving more toward performance - shocking. Eyeing the kinetic 54 right now, gorgeous boat, twin helms outside and one centered inside. I’d love a monohull still dream about them but with the sea sickness she gets my water living dreams probably require a cat. These look like they took a legit mono hull and said let’s make it two. New company, couldn’t or wouldn’t want to afford new anyway, hoping for a few years of good sailing stories then I’ll buy a gently used. Course this is only this weeks plan… and plans change.

47015AF0-7357-4DC7-8927-38FAF916F07E.thumb.jpeg.e2a7e2431ae8cdaddf6df8f33d1b1356.jpeg
9F8ADBFB-A2FA-48D3-8DB8-CDEF5B337730.thumb.jpeg.72e84d5a5cb400c9844cd2be8c6bce3d.jpeg
DEF10CAE-1A46-4E46-80F2-188BA11D2C9C.thumb.jpeg.6d737140eba3e0261d513894107df91d.jpeg

Very nice. Link worked for me. Lagoon 76. A mere $4.6 million. But I do like the fold out swim platform for the main cabin.

Just trying out my new Aran cable knit sweater on board so I can feel more like a crusty old sea captain. Now about to add some Johnnie Walker Blue Label to the equation.
083b3cd1180f60f4212028c563aebb3e.jpg
356a01db663c270c5f2afdfe01507340.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Very nice. Link worked for me. Lagoon 76. A mere $4.6 million. But I do like the fold out swim platform for the main cabin.

Just trying out my new Aran cable knit sweater on board so I can feel more like a crusty old sea captain. Now about to add some Johnnie Walker Blue Label to the equation.

Fuck man that’s the only blend this snobby chick will even sniff but damn if it isn’t some of the finest you can have. Cheers to you that’s the high life. 

lagoon and all of those are really nice for the party. I can’t wait to party this summer on that Fontaine pajot 50 I’ll admit. 

Edited by troph

3 minutes ago, troph said:

Fuck man that’s the only blend this snobby chick will even sniff but damn if it isn’t some of the finest you can have. Cheers to you that’s the high life. 

lagoon and all of those are really nice for the party. I can’t wait to party this summer on that Fontaine pajot 50 I’ll admit. 

An FP 50 is a sick boat.  Where are you chartering?  BVI?

@Viking laughs at us all who spend a few days here and there.  He lives it every day.  Fucker is charmed.  Someday I’m headed to Mex.  Wife can come or nah.  

44 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

An FP 50 is a sick boat.  Where are you chartering?  BVI?

@Viking laughs at us all who spend a few days here and there.  He lives it every day.  Fucker is charmed.  Someday I’m headed to Mex.  Wife can come or nah.  

I’ll go with you.  my partner/wife by then (?) can come or nah. Kids decidedly can stay. I’ll have shown them enough by then.  

I follow some cruisers one of which has been making their way down the pacific, they are past Cabo now and down on the pacific mainland of Mexico after bouncing through the gulf of California and the islands just north west of PV I think. 

Yeah BVI at least once more this time with the kids on that FP, may graduate to St Vincent and the Grenadines next.  

Edited by troph

11 minutes ago, troph said:

I’ll go with you.  my partner/wife by then (?) can come or nah. Kids decidedly can stay. I’ll have shown them enough by then.  

I follow some cruisers one of which has been making their way down the pacific, they are past Cabo now and down on the pacific mainland of Mexico after bouncing through the gulf of California and the islands just north west of PV I think. 

Yeah BVI at least once more this time with the kids on that FP, may graduate to St Vincent and the Grenadines next.  

Maybe it was on shaggy, but I once share the story of my youth.  Did a 4 month shakedown cruise to Mex in ‘81/‘82 (I only did the 7 day sail down and the 14 day brutal sail back up the coast of Baja as I needed to finish my 9th grade year) before leaving in June ‘82 for 15 months in the South Pacific.  That is a looooong puddle jump.  And a longer return.  Not sure I have more ocean crossings in my future.  Who knows.  But Mex is definitely calling.

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Maybe it was on shaggy, but I once share the story of my youth.  Did a 4 month shakedown cruise to Mex in ‘81/‘82 (I only did the 7 day sail down and the 14 day brutal sail back up the coast of Baja as I needed to finish my 9th grade year) before leaving in June ‘82 for 15 months in the South Pacific.  That is a looooong puddle jump.  And a longer return.  Not sure I have more ocean crossings in my future.  Who knows.  But Mex is definitely calling.

I don’t know what I have left in me but I’m going to find out. Shit, I feel like I only started to figure it out about 6-7 years ago. I’m going to press on and find my limit, I owe that to myself.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t know what I have left in me but I’m going to find out. Shit, I feel like I only started to figure it out about 6-7 years ago. I’m going to press on and find my limit, I owe that to myself.

When you are at sea, and can’t see land in any direction, and the boat is dialed in under sail, it all makes sense.  Soul purifying.  

9 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Dude that sweater is on point. 

Smooth Move, 74 foot Spencer I got to fish 3 days this week, gorgeous boat if you ignore the red hull and fast. Easy cruise at 35 knots and fast cruise at 42 knots which we were doing in the video. I think it tops out at 48. Mezzanine seating has air conditioning blowing out of the backrests. I think I could get used to it. It’s on the market for about 8 million.

EEF1AB9F-BF10-4AE6-A3F6-5132BCF6D069.jpeg

73FA8478-9C00-49FD-B70C-CD842B33234D.jpeg

Edited by justhookit
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

Jesus.  The tackle on on display there cost more than my bass boat.  Badass machine.

Every private boat here has all that nice tackle. It’s insane what we spend on that stuff but it works and it lasts. The priciest part is those LP electric reels to run the dredges. I about fell over when my captain told me how much we spent on them.

Also I do not have it but that boat and pretty much all of the big boats here have recently installed commercial periscope sonars. You can mark bait of course but you can also pick up fish from 1000 yards away and differentiate between sailfish and marlin. It’s crazy. And will only set you back about 150,000.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit.  I almost spent more on electronics for my bass boat than I did on the boat itself, so I can appreciate the sonar capability.  Insane that you can pick up that much detail and that far out. 

I can see about 150ft out on the side imaging and it's mesmerizing to ride around and look at everything laid out on the bottom.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than smart.  Sold my ‘05 Nautique to a pal last Fall.  Gave him the friend price and he towed it back to Slidell.  Didn’t have the title (long story -mailed to ex gf’s house when I paid off the note) so, I told him I’d get that and then he could send me a check.

Fast forward to earlier this week - I got the title in & called him up and now all I’m hearing is buyer’s remorse.  “l’m moving to Colorado”, blah blah blah.  He doesn’t come straight out & say he doesn’t want to pay up, but he says it, if you know what I’m saying.  I call my cousin over at BoatTown, explain the situation, & he makes a call to a guy who’s looking.

Dude is not only going to take it sight unseen (I did send him pics), he’s paying $10K over what my buddy and I settled on.  Of course, gas to get it back from fucking Slidell, LA will take a nice bite from that, but hey, anytime I can load up on boudin is a good time!

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than smart.  Sold my ‘05 Nautique to a pal last Fall.  Gave him the friend price and he towed it back to Slidell.  Didn’t have the title (long story -mailed to ex gf’s house when I paid off the note) so, I told him I’d get that and then he could send me a check.

Fast forward to earlier this week - I got the title in & called him up and now all I’m hearing is buyer’s remorse.  “l’m moving to Colorado”, blah blah blah.  He doesn’t come straight out & say he doesn’t want to pay up, but he says it, if you know what I’m saying.  I call my cousin over at BoatTown, explain the situation, & he makes a call to a guy who’s looking.

Dude is not only going to take it sight unseen (I did send him pics), he’s paying $10K over what my buddy and I settled on.  Of course, gas to get it back from fucking Slidell, LA will take a nice bite from that, but hey, anytime I can load up on boudin is a good time!

Hell yes!  Rather be lucky than good.  Nicely done, sir.  

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Didn't anyone tell him that Colorado is full?

• Haha 1

‘He’s not a boat guy & didn’t realize how much work they are.  Couple that with his home Lake being Pontchartrain and I think the shine wore off fast.  He had been out with me on Canyon & Lake Austin and thought it’d be similarlar.  I tried to warn him, but didn’t even make a dent.   

Experience is still the best teacher.