The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

1 minute ago, Landomatic said:

I normally laugh my ass off at stuff like that, but every time I click on one, I feel like I’m gonna jinx the shit outa myself.  Feels almost dirty.  Bad karma 

Yep.  My first thought was that the dumbass didn’t even stop to check for damage to the boat but then my next thought was if there’s damage better get it to the barn before she goes down in the channel.

11 minutes ago, troph said:

Some of us don’t have full kitchens aboard. 

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

Or a fiberglass deck and wash down hose.   Me, crushed goldfish, bread crumbs or smushed grape?  Blasted into the scuppers they go.

I don’t care if I had a leather canoe...half the fun of being on the water is the eating and drinking.  Fuck that

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I normally laugh my ass off at stuff like that, but every time I click on one, I feel like I’m gonna jinx the shit outa myself.  Feels almost dirty.  Bad karma 

yeah but I highly doubt you're that kind of douche bag dude bro that goes 60 mph through a narrow passage to impress the ladies.  and if you are, no thanks. lulz.

Edited by troph

12 minutes ago, troph said:

yeah but I highly doubt you're that kind of douche bag dude bro that goes 60 mph through a narrow passage to impress the ladies.  and if you are, no thanks. lulz.

Pretty sure he tore those riggers off on the bridge just as the movie cut off.   Poorly planned in every facet. 

6 hours ago, troph said:

Haha I'd be the opposite.  You'd probably be yelling at me to go faster.  I drive boats like old people fuck

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fenders out while cruising is more offensive than the no food thing. And the no food thing is pretty offensive. 

I was lazy last night.  we puttered out maybe 300 yards from our dock?  yeah fenders hanging out because I don't give a fuck.  btw hard kombuchas are uh hard.  /head hurts this morning //don’t care had awesome sex last night.

Edited by troph

8 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Fenders out while cruising is more offensive than the no food thing. And the no food thing is pretty offensive. 

It's okay if headed to the gas dock though, right?  I hope?

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

People referring to fenders as bumpers might be even more offensive than either.

I've heard people say that.  I've always said fenders, but I didn't know there was a right or wrong.  Seems like it's about 50/50 people referencing them as one or the other.  Is that a regional thing or what's that about?

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Haha I figured you might have been into it pretty good last night.

dude I actually re-entered the light weight class two years ago when I did dry january.  did it again this year and I don't even have a drink but 2-3 times a week now.  so 4 of those and I'm head spinning dizzy.  disclosure:  numbers 3 and 4 were at home.

dude I actually re-entered the light weight class two years ago when I did dry january.  did it again this year and I don't even have a drink but 2-3 times a week now.  so 4 of those and I'm head spinning dizzy.  disclosure:  numbers 3 and 4 were at home.

Funny, I'm going through the exact same shit right now.  Not Mrs Landomatic...me 🤦‍♂️

101 test tomorrow, learned man over board drills and reefing, plus did some good ole fashioned sailing today. Instructor is still a dick.  A complete POS dick.  We got into it, motor brackets weren’t working bc the bolt and fastener was loose, my son couldn’t make it hold, I couldn’t and he assumed it was operator error, he jumped my case about not damaging the boat... after 6 hours of his bullshit, irritation with us learning, and struggle with a teenager - but honestly the worst behavior was the grown man - I kinda lost it - I said look dude, I could buy 10 of these right now if I wanted, so if I damage it I’ll fix it, no one here wants to damage the boat, we all want to take care of it, we are just trying to learn and you aren’t helping. He’s a terrible teacher, has zero patience for the learning process, zero patience for kids, I’m honestly starting to wonder if he’s got a thing against LGBTQ folk - two women and kids last time - dunno - but I never think thats the case. 

Edited by troph

2 minutes ago, troph said:

101 test tomorrow, learned man over board drills and reefing, plus did some good ole fashioned sailing today. Instructor is still a dick.  A complete POS dick.  

MOB drills are critical. Never be too cool to take that seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, G650 said:

MOB drills are critical. Never be too cool to take that seriously.

That’s not the dick part. MOB stressed me out bc it’s legit.  We actually did well. Spent 2 hours doing it, coming back to it next time.  

That’s not the dick part. MOB stressed me out bc it’s legit.  We actually did well. Spent 2 hours doing it, coming back to it next time.  

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that. I know your instructor sucks donkey balls.

I'm just saying always remember how important it is and take it seriously. It easy to get complacent over the years as you get more experienced.

• Hook 'Em 1

We may be buying a 1977 Catalina 27 tall rig... boom mother fuckers. 

should have pics in hand this evening will figure it out soon. Friend selling / may partner on it. Could be a great learner boat.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Oh yeah, I didn't mean that. I know your instructor sucks donkey balls.

I'm just saying always remember how important it is and take it seriously. It easy to get complacent over the years as you get more experienced.

Yes sir I can see that. I was thinking about it while we were practicing - I think I might practice it on our own some and I think I may do some safety stuff anytime I have guests on board. Not MOB but at least a hey here’s how this works. And ocean travel no doubt. 

And I just have to say this one more time - I’m still stressed - drinking a beer watching the Texas OU baseball game trying to calm down - fuck that guy. I’m super excited despite that POS. It’s a shame really, a great instructor would have us flying super high, instead I’m trying to unwind while also being excited about learning.  Fuck him.

On 3/27/2021 at 5:47 PM, troph said:

And I just have to say this one more time - I’m still stressed - drinking a beer watching the Texas OU baseball game trying to calm down - fuck that guy. I’m super excited despite that POS. It’s a shame really, a great instructor would have us flying super high, instead I’m trying to unwind while also being excited about learning.  Fuck him.

Don’t stress. Sadly, most people suck. And don’t impulse buy that boat just to spite him.  Or do...whatever 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Don’t stress. Sadly, most people suck. And don’t impulse buy that boat just to spite him.  Or do...whatever 🤷‍♂️

The back story is the boat is owned by some friends of ours - we are considering paying for half, cleaning it up some more and practicing with it.  It’s only $5000 total so it’s not a big spend at all to pay half. Slip cost is $250/month total.  They don’t use it enough anymore and are building a house in marfa so the next year they will be distracted.  I’d only want this for 1-2 seasons then bump up to a larger sailboat for the lake, or not.  They could be good vacation partners too - they’ve already done BVI bareboat. They want to move up to a larger cruising cat.  the biggest issue is two boats ? I mean I do still work.

37 minutes ago, troph said:

The back story is the boat is owned by some friends of ours - we are considering paying for half, cleaning it up some more and practicing with it.  It’s only $5000 total so it’s not a big spend at all to pay half. Slip cost is $250/month total.  They don’t use it enough anymore and are building a house in marfa so the next year they will be distracted.  I’d only want this for 1-2 seasons then bump up to a larger sailboat for the lake, or not.  They could be good vacation partners too - they’ve already done BVI bareboat. They want to move up to a larger cruising cat.  the biggest issue is two boats ? I mean I do still work.

You can work from either of the boats.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Damn that water looks blue.

Canyon Lake is as pretty, water-wise, as any lake I've seen in Texas.  When the sun is out and high in the sky the color is just beautiful.  There's just not a lot of mud.  It's weird going from my old home lake (Lake Austin) to Canyon.  Don't get me wrong, I still love Lake Austin, but the water clarity, color, and boat clean-up is night and day better being on Canyon Lake.

In honor of my water temp guage registering over 70F for the first time this year I commemorated the moment with 2 minutes of Robbie Dupree driven sunset wake spray --

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2