Big12 is NOT dead

joeycovers

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

OK I'll bite.  What would your conference preference be after the media rights expire in 2025?

I am not sure what that matters, it's just an opinion. And I am sure no matter which conference I'd prefer you will find a way nitpick it.   There's what conference I'd prefer to go into as of right now, and then there's a whole different situation in 2025.  I have no clue what will happen, how other conference will shake up.  That will go a long way in considerations.  But if it expired today I would be happy to see OU at least at either pac, big 10 or sec. I suspect lots of changes would have to happen for that to come to fruition; probably looking at 16 team super conferences at that point.  I have also read about a suggestion that big 12 and acc could cooperate for scheduling purposes.  And i am not opposed to the big 12 taking 2 more teams from existing P5 conferences.  if it were up to me i'd love to dismiss wvu, and pick up nebraska, aggy and arkansas to keep it regional.  Definitely keep Ou and tx together or at the very least guarantee a RRR matchup as a noncon.   I am open to many possibilities except the  situation we are in today. 

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

At some point, the lack of Big 12 players in the NFL has as much to do with the NFL as the Big 12.

Look at Iowa.  They put a fuck ton of players in the NFL, and 90% of the time they're between 6-9 wins in the worst P5 division, routinely struggling against teams outside the Big 10.  But they're loaded with NFL talent because they run NFL schemes and NFL teams are very willing to pass over talent in favor of guys who played in a similar system.

I get why people use it as a measuring stick, but you don't have to look that far to see it's not a great one either.

Possibly but there is a perception that the nfl considers sec talent to be more nfl ready.  You have to know that coaches are showing draft results to recruits and it's  making an impact.  And all you needto do is look at recruiting rankings to see where that road leads.  or you can just look at the fact that 9 of the last 12 national champions are sec.  I hate them as much as the next person but they are doing something right.  Or they're, from top to bottom the best cheating conference in history.  Which is possible too. 

12 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Because I want to see better football.  i want to see my team play better teams. i want to see other big 12 teams actually being competitive and winning big games. I dont want OU to be the only conference team who is good enough to win some playoff games.  I want to see better talent in this conference and i want to see more big 12 players in the nfl.   I want this conference to have a bigger impact.   At the end of the day it cant hurt OU.  But its so much more than how it affects OU though. 

You must have ADHD then...OU is leaving the big 12 by 2025 at the latest, yes?  In fact they're "spearheading" the move according to you.  So, you have to be patient for about five seasons or a point at which leaving doesn't damage OU (or thieir new conference) financially.

And in that time OU & UNL have scheduled some games, right?  So why so much energy expelled to run down a conference you're leaving relatively soon?

You're obsessed.  You should get some help.

3 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

I am not sure what that matters, it's just an opinion. And I am sure no matter which conference I'd prefer you will find a way nitpick it.   There's what conference I'd prefer to go into as of right now, and then there's a whole different situation in 2025.  I have no clue what will happen, how other conference will shake up.  That will go a long way in considerations.  But if it expired today I would be happy to see OU at least at either pac, big 10 or sec. I suspect lots of changes would have to happen for that to come to fruition; probably looking at 16 team super conferences at that point.  I have also read about a suggestion that big 12 and acc could cooperate for scheduling purposes.  And i am not opposed to the big 12 taking 2 more teams from existing P5 conferences.  if it were up to me i'd love to dismiss wvu, and pick up nebraska, aggy and arkansas to keep it regional.  Definitely keep Ou and tx together or at the very least guarantee a RRR matchup as a noncon.   I am open to many possibilities except the  situation we are in today. 

Fair enough.  Different strokes.  Not going to nitpick.  For me though I'm fine in this conference and don't see it as weak.  That's SEC aggy propaganda to me.  It's a good league in the big 3 sports.  You're playing FAU, UCLA and Army this year OOC.  Those are some fun games in addition to what I see as good in conference football programs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnowAggy said:

You must have ADHD then...OU is leaving the big 12 by 2025 at the latest, yes?  In fact they're "spearheading" the move according to you.  So, you have to be patient for about five seasons or a point at which leaving doesn't damage OU (or thieir new conference) financially.

And in that time OU & UNL have scheduled some games, right?  So why so much energy expelled to run down a conference you're leaving relatively soon?

Nothing is set in stone, but they certainly seem to want to leave after the GOR expires.  Patient for 7 seasons sure from this point, but that doesnt account for having to be patient for the previous 8 seasons as well. That would be a total of 15 years of patience you are asking for. 

I dont know what UNL is.   Cause I didnt just wake up today with this thought in my head. It's years in the making. 

Not obsessed at all. It's just an issue for which my opinion hasnt changed  since  the realignments of 2010.   That's consistency. 

I still think everything you are bitching about is based on UT's recent ineptitude. 

Recruiting rankings? 10 years ago, when the B12 was considered the best conference in football, what B12 schools besides UT and OU were pulling top-10 classes? They weren't. That didn't prevent OSU, Tech, et al (and TCU now) from having very good programs. TCU mopped the floor with Ole Miss and their high-priced recruits a few years ago. 

The B12 was perceived to be great because UT and OU were 2 of the 5 best programs in college football. UT slipped. That's it. If UT gets back there, the B12 "perception" is restored. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Fair enough.  Different strokes.  Not going to nitpick.  For me though I'm fine in this conference and don't see it as weak.  That's SEC aggy propaganda to me.  It's a good league in the big 3 sports.  You're playing FAU, UCLA and Army this year OOC.  Those are some fun games in addition to what I see as good in conference football programs.

That's fine, i am not trying to change your opinion.  But  i have my concerns that elite recruits and nfl scouts arent on the same page with you in regard to that. Tell me you are cool with seeing a garbage pile like aggy getting recruits that should be in austin and norman by carrying the sec flag?

It will be a fun non-con for sure, and Ou has a chance to win a bunch of games. And hey you never know, this could be the year that the sec has nobody in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Nothing is set in stone, but they certainly seem to want to leave after the GOR expires.  Patient for 7 seasons sure from this point, but that doesnt account for having to be patient for the previous 8 seasons as well. That would be a total of 15 years of patience you are asking for. 

I dont know what UNL is.   Cause I didnt just wake up today with this thought in my head. It's years in the making. 

Not obsessed at all. It's just an issue for which my opinion hasnt changed  since  the realignments of 2010.   That's consistency. 

Take a guess super sooner.

I guess go ahead and shvitz about the quality of the big 12 then...you be you.

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

I still think everything you are bitching about is based on UT's recent ineptitude. 

Recruiting rankings? 10 years ago, when the B12 was considered the best conference in football, what B12 schools besides UT and OU were pulling top-10 classes? They weren't. That didn't prevent OSU, Tech, et al (and TCU now) from having very good programs. TCU mopped the floor with Ole Miss and their high-priced recruits a few years ago. 

The B12 was perceived to be great because UT and OU were 2 of the 5 best programs in college football. UT slipped. That's it. If UT gets back there, the B12 "perception" is restored. 

Well at this point they have lost so much ground to the big 10 and sec, that the best they could do is get up to an even point with them.  Yeah a decade ago the big 12 was great,  in fact they had 3 top 5 teams in the big 12 south. we seemed to always have that third real good team to give us balance.  Now it's just OU and occasionally a tcu or osu will win some games and give us a run for our money.  When tx is back it will help but now the sec and big 10 have stellar top 2-3 teams and we will be lucky to be considered equal.   We can do it i guess but it will take a lot of winning to earn that reputation back.  right now we are the conference who had 0 teams in a year ago and sec got in two this year.  We have to defeat this perception with real results

1 minute ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Well at this point they have lost so much ground to the big 10 and sec, that the best they could do is get up to an even point with them.  Yeah a decade ago the big 12 was great,  in fact they had 3 top 5 teams in the big 12 south. we seemed to always have that third real good team to give us balance.  Now it's just OU and occasionally a tcu or osu will win some games and give us a run for our money.  When tx is back it will help but now the sec and big 10 have stellar top 2-3 teams and we will be lucky to be considered equal.   We can do it i guess but it will take a lot of winning to earn that reputation back.  right now we are the conference who had 0 teams in a year ago and sec got in two this year.  We have to defeat this perception with real results

I disagree that it would take a long time. 

30 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

You just crowed about wins, so  I brought up another team with a shitloaod of  mostly meaningless wins, just like osu. osu has a shitload of meaningless wins.  A few good ones though, but most of 'em were meaningless.    But hey they were good in 2011 when they lost the most meaningful game probably in the history of the program (had they beaten iowa state, who knows what would have happened).

They havent been keeping up because there has been little parity.  OU has dominated the conference winning it 10 of the last 17 seasons.   They have been good, sure, competitive most years, sure. But not giving OU much competition.Look at the head to head results of OU vs every big 12 team for in the Stoops era. It's like they are the only ones trying.   At the top we have OU and historically texas.  sec has alabama and georgia at the top right now.  Who is their next tier down? Auburn, lsu, florida, mississippi.  Compare tcu, osu, wvu, and who , tech? And who do we compare tennessee, s. carolina, and arkansas to?  kstate, kansas, baylor?   I mean hell their 2nd tier teams keep up nicely and even occasionally win a national title.   Ours well, lol, it is what it is.

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. "Meaningless wins?"  OK.  Why do we play the games again?  And again, comparing OSU's wins in a P5 conference vs. a G5 conference is disingenuous at best ... 

And by throwing out all of those teams you're simply getting into the fact that the SEC has four more teams than we do.

Set aside the fact that two of the teams you mentioned in the SEC (Auburn and Ole Miss) had most of their high-level success due to FUCKING CHEATING, including Auburn's national title.

As for Florida, LSU, Tennesse, S. Carolina and Arkansas... are you kidding me?  Yeah Florida won a few titles 10 years ago, but they haven't done shit since Urban left.  Tennessee hasn't done shit in a decade plus and have had multiple losing seasons.  They aren't even in the top 35 in wins in the past 10 years. (West Virgina is). 

OSU and TCU have been consistently better programs than Tennessee, Arkansas and S. Carolina, and that's not really close. They've both also been better than Florida since Urban left. 

In fact, here, let me help you out.  Here are the wins by college football teams in the past decade. Right, right... I'm sure you'll tell me that all of these wins are "meaningless."  Well if they are so meaningless then it should be super easy for those second-tier SEC powerhouses like Tennessee, et al, to get them.

M9uK69w.jpg

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

That's fine, i am not trying to change your opinion.  But  i have my concerns that elite recruits and nfl scouts arent on the same page with you in regard to that. Tell me you are cool with seeing a garbage pile like aggy getting recruits that should be in austin and norman by carrying the sec flag?

It will be a fun non-con for sure, and Ou has a chance to win a bunch of games. And hey you never know, this could be the year that the sec has nobody in the playoffs.

Most Big 12 teams don't recruit very well but have good/great coaches with consistent systems (Snyder, Gundy, Sweaty Fat Fuck Patterson, Campbell, Holgerson). They're getting the right players for them to win games, but not a lot of guys with the high end physical traits you need to get drafted. The only schools that recruit at a consistently very high level are Texas and OU, so those are the only schools that should be expected to consistently churn out NFL talent. That's why I don't really care much about the NFL statistics regardless of whatever bullshit aggy is spewing to recruits. We haven't produced much lately for obvious reasons, but it looks like we're going to start putting out a lot of NFL guys again now.

Edited by Bevo14

I clicked on this thread to see what the hell was going on and, holy shit, a sooner appears to be the poster with whom I agree with most closely. You other guys are defending the Big 12 as a conference? The Iowa State guys and Okie State guy, I get, sure, because they're proper fucked when the Big 12 ceases to exist. But Longhorns defending the Big 12? Come the fuck on. This conference sucks and I cannot wait to leave it. I can't wait until 2022 when it starts to become real that we're heading somewhere else, anywhere else. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

OU has had plenty of chances at a national title.  Just because you fall on your face when the lights come on the big stage isn't the fault of the Big XII.

"The perception".  Yeah, got it.  Keep ignoring that 4 Big XII teams last year had a top 20 SOS.  Just like the SEC.  4.  Facts not what "perception you feel".

I think I have your position now though.  The Big XII is shitty even though it hasn't caused your team (which you don't care about) any harm in the least.  Got it.

I think it's hilarious for OU (or UT) fans to bitch about perception.  Perception does not make a shit for OU or Texas.  They'll always be in.  It's WVU/TCU/OSU/Baylor (good - fuck them) that really need to worry.  OU has and will continue to get to the promised land with the current set up.  Again - it's miserable fucking defense and bitch ass scared coaching that is to blame.  Even those on landthieves, or whatever the fuck it is now, will mostly agree.  Look at the posts bitching about Mike (millions) vs the conference (dozens)...

Again, dumbasses need to argue about something in the off season, so they choose this.  It's played out.  The league is making a mint.  That's all that matters - don't be fooled...fucking sheep - looking at you Lloyd. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I clicked on this thread to see what the hell was going on and, holy shit, a sooner appears to be the poster with whom I agree with most closely. You other guys are defending the Big 12 as a conference? The Iowa State guys and Okie State guy, I get, sure, because they're proper fucked when the Big 12 ceases to exist. But Longhorns defending the Big 12? Come the fuck on. This conference sucks and I cannot wait to leave it. I can't wait until 2022 when it starts to become real that we're heading somewhere else, anywhere else. 

I don't love it, but the conference is good enough that it isn't an issue for us so I don't really care. I  dislike the alternatives as well.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Really? 

What conference is better and why?  Texas gonna join the SEC?  No chance.

Texas gonna join the Pac 12?  Are you going to honestly tell me that's a better football situation than the Big 12?

The B1G?  I mean... Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin?  That's cool I guess.  But you also get to play Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, etc.

This is all "grass is greener" syndrome. The Big 12 is just fine. It's an excellent athletics conference across the board and it would be even better if Texas football would start winning at a high level like they did in the 2000s.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SnowAggy said:

Texas is a wonderful state with great people, that has helped bring more to the XII than what the B1G can bring to Oklahoma or Kansas as outpost in a division with no historical opponents in the division other than Nebraska:

I don't think Oklahoma is leaving nearly as much as the poster hopes, as anyone with common sense can see that since OU has rejoined former SWC members of Texas & it's in state universities, that the program has reached all time highs in revenues & performance in the arena of sports... Why would OU join a conference that has divisional opponents that the school has played a whopping total of 11 times in the last 128 years of Sooner football in Iowa/ Minnesota/ Wisconsin/ N'western & Illinois..?

So as the old ads go for keeping litter out of 2 states of the southwest "Don't mess with Texas" & "Don't lay that trash on Oklahoma", as the XII is solid and doesn't concern itself with the population exodus within the Rust Belt region, this is just a poster trying to prep UT fans into thinking that OU is looking to leave, I can't say what the school is thinking, but most fans enjoy the all around rivalry and premier label as arch rival of Texas (don't think Tech/ aggy/ LSU/ Arkansas/ Kansas/ Missouri/ Colorado & Arizona wouldn't enjoy that label, because they would)...

2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I disagree that it would take a long time. 

Sec and Big 10 didnt lose a beat, we dropped off a while ago. You think we can make up nearly a decade of ground on them in a short time?  I concede it can happen, but bama isnt going away, uga  is recruiting like crazy.  And so is ohio state, psu and michigan arent going away.  Gonna be a tough road but we can. 

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. "Meaningless wins?"  OK.  Why do we play the games again?  And again, comparing OSU's wins in a P5 conference vs. a G5 conference is disingenuous at best ... 

And by throwing out all of those teams you're simply getting into the fact that the SEC has four more teams than we do.

Set aside the fact that two of the teams you mentioned in the SEC (Auburn and Ole Miss) had most of their high-level success due to FUCKING CHEATING, including Auburn's national title.

As for Florida, LSU, Tennesse, S. Carolina and Arkansas... are you kidding me?  Yeah Florida won a few titles 10 years ago, but they haven't done shit since Urban left.  Tennessee hasn't done shit in a decade plus and have had multiple losing seasons.  They aren't even in the top 35 in wins in the past 10 years. (West Virgina is). 

OSU and TCU have been consistently better programs than Tennessee, Arkansas and S. Carolina, and that's not really close. They've both also been better than Florida since Urban left. 

In fact, here, let me help you out.  Here are the wins by college football teams in the past decade. Right, right... I'm sure you'll tell me that all of these wins are "meaningless."  Well if they are so meaningless then it should be super easy for those second-tier SEC powerhouses like Tennessee, et al, to get them.

M9uK69w.jpg

Uhh yeah.   What are osu's best 5 wins of the gundy era?  Let's see his two bedlam wins in 11 and 14?  Uga in 09? Maybe the fiesta bowl vs stanford in '12? That's the best I can think of but maybe you can do better.   So a total of 1  BCS win and 0 big 12  championship game wins.  In fact, they lost to OU in a de facto ccg.  Even with a bedlam loss in '11 they'd have still won the big 12 so it wasnt a terribly meaningful victory like the 2015 would have been.  But you know what, no, it was a big time win for you guys.  But how meaningful? It didnt secure anything you didnt already have except bragging rights. 

Yeah the sec has four more teams, but they have more quality depth at the 2nd tier and lower level teams.   Their worst team last year was tennessee and i'm sure they would have pasted kansas.  Though we did have some decent play in the mid level teeams this year. Glad you brought up FLorida. Florida hasnt done a lot since meyer left but they have played for the sec championship in 2015 and 2016 so they havent fallen off the face of the earth quite yet.  They still recruit well too so they can rebound pretty quick unlike our basement dwellers who are there year after year never ruffling too many feathers. 

Yeah id say Osu and Tcu recently have been better than tenn, ark and s.carolina. Though usc did go 9-3 last year.   But  those arent sec 2nd tier teams.  Those are like the third tier teams. Compare Osu and Tcu to the 2nd tier sec teams like Lsu, Mississippi or a msu on a year to year basis.  historically i'd say georgia is a 2nd tier team too but last year they took it up a level.  the sec is run by alabama and whoever the 2nd best team is that year. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

Most Big 12 teams don't recruit very well but have good/great coaches with consistent systems (Snyder, Gundy, Sweaty Fat Fuck Patterson, Campbell, Holgerson). They're getting the right players for them to win games, but not a lot of guys with the high end physical traits you need to get drafted. The only schools that recruit at a consistently very high level are Texas and OU, so those are the only schools that should be expected to consistently churn out NFL talent. That's why I don't really care much about the NFL statistics regardless of whatever bullshit aggy is spewing to recruits. We haven't produced much lately for obvious reasons, but it looks like we're going to start putting out a lot of NFL guys again now.

YEah you will, the way texas is recruiting now its gonna get better on draft day. And OU is finally getting them too. It started after Riley's recruiting approaches took over for how Stoops did it.  Those are the kind of guys the big 12 needs to win, because when the best the big 12 has to offer plays those guys, they dont tend to win all the time.  We have to get back to getting those dogs we used  all be getting in the early 00s. 

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I think it's hilarious for OU (or UT) fans to bitch about perception.  Perception does not make a shit for OU or Texas.  They'll always be in.  It's WVU/TCU/OSU/Baylor (good - fuck them) that really need to worry.  OU has and will continue to get to the promised land with the current set up.  Again - it's miserable fucking defense and bitch ass scared coaching that is to blame.  Even those on landthieves, or whatever the fuck it is now, will mostly agree.  Look at the posts bitching about Mike (millions) vs the conference (dozens)...

Again, dumbasses need to argue about something in the off season, so they choose this.  It's played out.  The league is making a mint.  That's all that matters - don't be fooled...fucking sheep - looking at you Lloyd. 

Money cant be all that matters. They'll make 100 million+ a year no matter what conference they are in. With all the money being spread around, everyone gets rich (well the universities, not like this money goes to any of us or the players).  Talking a difference of a few million a year between this conference and that, when OU and UT both make north of 150 million in revenue.   If its a money grab then get more competitive and get an even bigger tv contract. 

On June 1, 2018 at 2:36 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So $36.5 million plus the $15 million for the LHN is $51.5 million. I would think that would put us ahead of any other conference distribution.

That's about what every school in the B1G not named Maryland or Rutgers gets.

I can appreciate that- but i think it matters to teh recruits too.  They look at sec schedules for example and they see alabama, auburn, lsu, georgia, florida on the schedule.  The same players being recruited by Ou and Tx and we got iowa state, kansas state, baylor. I can see how negging the big 12 is helping.  Sure Texas and OU has the stones to schedule big time OOC matchups but that's once a year, and the rest of the schedule looks like pop warner football.  But hey at least the AD  raked in 187 million last year. 

Pilot to bombardier, pilot to bombardier, open bomb bay doors, open bomb bay doors....

The big 12 is fine. Look at all of the conferences and you will find the level of competition from top to bottom is the same. There are good teams and shitty teams in every conference. One thing everyone is forgetting in regards to the SEC is their scheduling. They only play 9 conference games with 4 pussy OOC games littered through out their schedule. Over the years this has helped them become what they are. Win those easy games and you and everyone(mostly) in the conference is 4-0. Well this gives teams a bump in the early season rankings. And because majority of them are now ranked from beating shitty teams, when they play each other-they won/lost against a ranked opponent. Thus, they don't fall far in the rankings. And because of the OOC games littered throughout, they can redeem some of the ranking that was lost by beating a shitty team while hoping a better ranked team loses. Apply this to the majority of the conference and basically all you are doing is trading spots through out the season while keeping each other ranked. They have had some bad ass teams, no doubt. But in regards to the conference being badass or superior to the other conferences! Not so much. Its merely stat padding each other.

Now I am not going to lie, the dirty south has a ton of talent and that talent usually stays home or close by.  And my perception to that is mostly because of family financial situations so there is that. Our great state has an ton of talent also. But recruits are persuaded by coaching pedigree, success, facilities, and atmosphere. This is why we was good! Because we had all of that. But we got complacent in just about everything and well now here we are. Everything snowballed because we got complacent which took us out of the picture. This had a huge impact on our conference perception because BlowU was left holding the bag. Well Texas sucks and the rest of the teams in Texas sucks(no bluebloods), and I want to win trophies...fuck it! So recruits go somewhere else. 

One thing I do have to state which has hurt this conference is the spread offense. Reason being is because of the lack of defense and that the qbs doesn't read defenses. This doesn't bode well for development. And this shits on their NFL chances, if they get any at all.

Once we get back to where we were, things will start change. Conference strength perception is just like team perception. It comes and goes in cycles. So we are fine. It will come. But for the love of god..get 2 more teams so we don't have to do the stupid rematch in the conference championship crap!

Edited by RowdyVic
edit
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m going to laugh so hard when we don’t go anywhere.

If the money remains competitive, I don't expect anyone to leave the Big 12.  I haven't heard a compelling case  yet about why the money won't be competitive. 

OU is probably going through the best period of success in the history of its athletic department.  OU is one of three schools in the country with a $1B+ football value.  The Sooners have won 11 team national titles since 2013 in 4 different sports.  That's not including the men's tennis program which played for a team title 3 different times in that span, a men's basketball program which made a Final Four and produced a Naismith winner, a football team with three straight Big 12 titles, a Heisman winner, two CFP playoff appearances, and two Sugar Bowl wins in the last five years.  

So why all the bitching from OU fans?  1) there's probably a troll op fomenting some dissatisfaction from OU fans, 2) there's some residual fan embarrassment/resentment from the "wallflower" fiasco and fallout, and 3) there are still a couple legitimate problems with the Big 12 that nobody seems interested in addressing.

There isn't a helmet school within the conference to visit Norman (and moving the best CFB rivalry in the country from the State Fair to a home and home isn't an option.)  That makes the home schedule look like trash every other year.  And the academic standing of the conference took a major hit.  Four AAU schools left and we replaced them with WVU (barely in the US News Top 200) and TCU (really good undergrad perception but a non-research university.)  That academic hit probably means more to OU than Texas since the Longhorns' academic bona fides are established locally and nationally.  OU is much improved academically in the last quarter century but is still nowhere close to where the big money wants it to be.  

On the whole though, the Big 12 is fine.  Olympic sports are great.  Other than Texas sucking for a decade, Big 12 football has been good.  OSU, TCU, Baylor, and K-State have Big 12 titles this decade.  TCU is playing better football by far than anyone who left.  When Herman starts winning 10 games a year, the Big 12 will move back into the "top SEC challenger" spot.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Uhh yeah.   What are osu's best 5 wins of the gundy era?  Let's see his two bedlam wins in 11 and 14?  Uga in 09? Maybe the fiesta bowl vs stanford in '12? That's the best I can think of but maybe you can do better.   So a total of 1  BCS win and 0 big 12  championship game wins.  In fact, they lost to OU in a de facto ccg.  Even with a bedlam loss in '11 they'd have still won the big 12 so it wasnt a terribly meaningful victory like the 2015 would have been.  But you know what, no, it was a big time win for you guys.  But how meaningful? It didnt secure anything you didnt already have except bragging rights. 

Yeah id say Osu and Tcu recently have been better than tenn, ark and s.carolina. Though usc did go 9-3 last year.   But  those arent sec 2nd tier teams.  Those are like the third tier teams. Compare Osu and Tcu to the 2nd tier sec teams like Lsu, Mississippi or a msu on a year to year basis.  historically i'd say georgia is a 2nd tier team too but last year they took it up a level.  the sec is run by alabama and whoever the 2nd best team is that year. 

Jesus dude are you really this obtuse?

I'm not arguing that OSU has won a lot of championships, that's not the fucking point.  But we're 10th in the country in wins in the past decade. The fact that you think that is meaningless is hilarious. 

You want me to compare OSU and TCU to the "2nd tier" SEC teams like LSU, Ole Miss or MSU?  Sure I can do that.  In the past decade, TCU is 7th in the nation in wins; OSU is 10th; LSU is 12th.  Neither Ole Miss nor Mississippi State are in the top 40.

FWIW, Georgia is 13th, Florida is 19th, Auburn is 26th, Mississippi State is 45th, Ole Miss is 56th.

And again let's not forget that any success that Ole Miss had was because they are worthless cheating fucks. Same, more or less, for Auburn.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Jesus dude are you really this obtuse?

I'm not arguing that OSU has won a lot of championships, that's not the fucking point.  But we're 10th in the country in wins in the past decade. The fact that you think that is meaningless is hilarious. 

You want me to compare OSU and TCU to the "2nd tier" SEC teams like LSU, Ole Miss or MSU?  Sure I can do that.  In the past decade, TCU is 7th in the nation in wins; OSU is 10th; LSU is 12th.  Neither Ole Miss nor Mississippi State are in the top 40.

FWIW, Georgia is 13th, Florida is 19th, Auburn is 26th, Mississippi State is 45th, Ole Miss is 56th.

And again let's not forget that any success that Ole Miss had was because they are worthless cheating fucks. Same, more or less, for Auburn.

Sure it's nice to have all those wins.  But my point is those weren't big wins, so without a lot of meaning.   Boise state has won a ton of games since 2000, but they were mostly meaningless wins that didnt do a lot for their program. The fiesta bowl was huge though.  The point is for osu very few big wins. It's nothing to get mad about, it is what it is.  You couldn't even name the best 5 wins of the mullet's era. What's hilarious is the lack of big signature wins for osu, its mostly a bunch of conference victories while its reputation was in the gutter. A bunch of conference victories that only translated to one big 12 championship and 1 BCS victory in 12 seasons.  

Compared Osu's 1 conference championship and 1 bcs victory to Lsu- 2 national title appearances, 1 national championship, 1 bcs bowl win, and 2 sec championships.   to florida having two national titles, and an additional  bcs victory, and 6 visits to the sec championship game, I would say osu does not stand to compare equally to florida or lsu. 

georgia- had always been that 2nd tier team for a long time too. 1 playoff win,  1 bcs win and,  4 visits to the sec championship game, and 1 sec championship

Mississippi- similar to them actually with the same number of bcs bowl wins except they completely embarrassed  osu  in the sugar bowl a few years ago.  Sure they are cheating fucks too though, but i would say osu is maybe about what a mississippi is. 

Now that I think more about it mississippi state is more of a 3rd tier team in the sec.  

So maybe osu could be compared to a lower end 2nd tier sec team instead.   And osu is the 2nd best thing the big 12 has had over the last 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Maybe I missed the UNL memo because i have never heard of the acronym before.  not trying to be 12 or a sock. Just being honest.

In the time it took you to compose this reply you could have easily typed in "UNL" into Google and gotten your answer.

• Like 1

Lloyd is about the perceived quality of the name on the jersey rather than the play on the field. More "exciting" to beat an unranked UCLA than to beat a top 25 KSU or losing to Top 20 Oregon looks less embarrassing than losing to a Top 20 TCU. (Probably why the ACC doesn't make his cut of 'viable' conferences, too many "basketball" schools.) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

Sure it's nice to have all those wins.  But my point is those weren't big wins, so without a lot of meaning.   Boise state has won a ton of games since 2000, but they were mostly meaningless wins that didnt do a lot for their program. The fiesta bowl was huge though.  The point is for osu very few big wins. It's nothing to get mad about, it is what it is.  You couldn't even name the best 5 wins of the mullet's era. What's hilarious is the lack of big signature wins for osu, its mostly a bunch of conference victories while its reputation was in the gutter. A bunch of conference victories that only translated to one big 12 championship and 1 BCS victory in 12 seasons.  

Compared Osu's 1 conference championship and 1 bcs victory to Lsu- 2 national title appearances, 1 national championship, 1 bcs bowl win, and 2 sec championships.   to florida having two national titles, and an additional  bcs victory, and 6 visits to the sec championship game, I would say osu does not stand to compare equally to florida or lsu. 

georgia- had always been that 2nd tier team for a long time too. 1 playoff win,  1 bcs win and,  4 visits to the sec championship game, and 1 sec championship

Mississippi- similar to them actually with the same number of bcs bowl wins except they completely embarrassed  osu  in the sugar bowl a few years ago.  Sure they are cheating fucks too though, but i would say osu is maybe about what a mississippi is. 

Now that I think more about it mississippi state is more of a 3rd tier team in the sec.  

So maybe osu could be compared to a lower end 2nd tier sec team instead.   And osu is the 2nd best thing the big 12 has had over the last 10 years. 

So you’re  talking about the last 10 years...except when you’re not when it suits your argument. LSU’s title and one of Florida’s was more than a decade ago. The other is barely within your timeframe.

• Like 1

Lloyd you keep talking about "the last ten years."  LSU hasn't won a major bowl game in over 10 years.  They've only been to one major bowl in that span of time.  If the Gators don't make a major bowl trip this year, they'll be 0-1 in major bowl games in the last decade, too.  Last year was Georgia's first major bowl appearance in a decade.  Tennessee hasn't played in a major bowl game since the 90s. 

OSU is 1-1 in major bowls in the last 10 years.  TCU is 2-1.  K-State is 0-1.  WVU is 1-0.  Baylor is 0-2.  

You can go back a little farther than ten years and find better results for the SEC's 2nd tier, obviously.  Is 15 years the timeframe that matters?  25 years? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Lloyd you keep talking about "the last ten years."  LSU hasn't won a major bowl game in over 10 years.  They've only been to one major bowl in that span of time.  If the Gators don't make a major bowl trip this year, they'll be 0-1 in major bowl games in the last decade, too.  Last year was Georgia's first major bowl appearance in a decade.  Tennessee hasn't played in a major bowl game since the 90s. 

OSU is 1-1 in major bowls in the last 10 years.  TCU is 2-1.  K-State is 0-1.  WVU is 1-0.  Baylor is 0-2.  

You can go back a little farther than ten years and find better results for the SEC's 2nd tier, obviously.  Is 15 years the timeframe that matters?  25 years? 

Yeah if you are going to count LSU and Florida games then you'll need to include Texas' 2 title games and additional BCS game (went 2-1). 

But I think what you're getting at is that the SEC has more "name" schools, with larger fan bases and more historical football success than B12 schools. That's fine, and few would argue with that.

What people are arguing about is that the "perceived" quality of SEC teams exceeds the actual quality of SEC teams. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

In the time it took you to compose this reply you could have easily typed in "UNL" into Google and gotten your answer.

Yep.  Didnt care to. Dont think the acronym means enough to me to spend time trying to figure out what it is.  I made it this long without knowing what it is, i'll be fine. 

33 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Lloyd is about the perceived quality of the name on the jersey rather than the play on the field. More "exciting" to beat an unranked UCLA than to beat a top 25 KSU or losing to Top 20 Oregon looks less embarrassing than losing to a Top 20 TCU. (Probably why the ACC doesn't make his cut of 'viable' conferences, too many "basketball" schools.) 

Some matchups move the needle more than others.  Acc is very viable  actually, more so than the big 12 as of today IMO.  But that's something I believe the big 12 can overcome much more likely than overcoming the ground they lost to the big 10 and sec.   Unless miami  and fsu pick things back up and get elite again, then i think we'd be harder pressed to be at their level.  Considering they have two recent national championships against the sec champions.   Really the only P5 conference with less juice than the Big 12 is the PAC 12. 

31 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

So you’re  talking about the last 10 years...except when you’re not when it suits your argument. LSU’s title and one of Florida’s was more than a decade ago. The other is barely within your timeframe.

I said that osu is the 2nd best thing the big 12 has had in the last 10 years.  But my point is that is still pretty relevant when you compare them to ok state of the gundy era, which started in 2005.  Both florida and lsu have achieved significantly more success than Osu.  And i was comparing Osu (a 2nd tier big 12 team) to the 2nd tier of teams of the sec, of which I believe florida and lsu are. 

31 minutes ago, camel at sea said:

Trying to compare the osu of the gundy era to the 2nd tier sec teams of the same time frame (starting in 2005).  I was making the 10 year or roundabout decade time frame for the big 12 is dead argument.  the argument of comparing our Ok state to the 2nd tier of sec teams is  during gundy's tenure.  And during that time both lsu and florida have won 1 or more national championships. 

Edited by Lloyd Christmas
  • Fuck You 2

18 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I agree the Big 12 sucks and we should leave in 2022, but I also don't really care that it sucks because I don't think it affects Texas much. If we quit sucking, we'll get plenty of national attention. If we win the Big 12 with 1 loss, we'll be in the playoff and not be dinged because we're in a bad conference. Honestly, if we were good, we could take advantage of the remaining years we have left by having an easy path to the playoff, just like OU did last year, and it could be a short-term advantage. 

Also, to address the more general discussion, I don't view the conference as good or bad based on the quality of teams nearly as much as how the Big 12 conference itself does influencing perception and planning for the future.  They're god awful at it. No championship game, getting caught flat footed when teams leave, they basically fucked the Big 12 out of a playoff spot the year TCU and Baylor tied for the conference title by refusing to pick a winner all in the same season where the conference mantra was "one true champion."  The Big 12 conference's lack of foresight, organization, or ability to positively influence national perception is why it sucks, not the quality of football teams. Arguing the merit of football teams in each conference is fairly silly considering they play each other for 2/3 of the year. Overall, the Big 12 has put out a lot of quality football teams, but the one spot where the individual schools hurt the Big 12 is the lack of number of prestigious programs that bring in a lot of money and have a large fan base.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

I agree the Big 12 sucks and we should leave in 2022, but I also don't really care that it sucks because I don't think it affects Texas much. If we quit sucking, we'll get plenty of national attention. If we win the Big 12 with 1 loss, we'll be in the playoff and not be dinged because we're in a bad conference. Honestly, if we were good, we could take advantage of the remaining years we have left by having an easy path to the playoff, just like OU did last year, and it could be a short-term advantage. 

Also, to address the more general discussion, I don't view the conference as good or bad based on the quality of teams nearly as much as how the Big 12 conference itself does influencing perception and planning for the future.  They're god awful at it. No championship game, getting caught flat footed when teams leave, they basically fucked the Big 12 out of a playoff spot the year TCU and Baylor tied for the conference title by refusing to pick a winner all in the same season where the conference mantra was "one true champion."  The Big 12 conference's lack of foresight, organization, or ability to positively influence national perception is why it sucks, not the quality of football teams. Arguing the merit of football teams in each conference is fairly silly considering they play each other for 2/3 of the year. Overall, the Big 12 has put out a lot of quality football teams, but the one spot where the individual schools hurt the Big 12 is the lack of number of prestigious programs that bring in a lot of money and have a large fan base.

My thinking on the Big 12 isn't very strategic, at this stage, and it's not going to get any better for the next few years. I agree that Texas will get its due when it deserves it by performing on the field. I also think the money is fine.

That all considered, I'm just flatly bored with the conference. Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Oklahoma State, and Baylor do nothing for me. I enjoy playing Tech, OU, and KU every year. West Virginia too, for that matter. I'd like variation in the conference schedule and then I'd be less bored with those other teams. So if the Big 12 went and added ASU and Arizona, I'd be all for it. I'd feel less apathetic about the conference. If they added Cincinnati and UH, I'd puke. So if they ever added anyone, I'd like it to be meaningful adds. Of course, I don't see any of that happening, so just get me out of here in whatever manifestation that takes on as the GoR timeline heads towards an end. 

Some day, I'd like to be in the B1G somehow. It makes the most sense when the Big 12 breaks up, but whatever. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My thinking on the Big 12 isn't very strategic, at this stage, and it's not going to get any better for the next few years. I agree that Texas will get its due when it deserves it by performing on the field. I also think the money is fine.

That all considered, I'm just flatly bored with the conference. Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Oklahoma State, and Baylor do nothing for me. I enjoy playing Tech, OU, and KU every year. West Virginia too, for that matter. I'd like variation in the conference schedule and then I'd be less bored with those other teams. So if the Big 12 went and added ASU and Arizona, I'd be all for it. I'd feel less apathetic about the conference. If they added Cincinnati and UH, I'd puke. So if they ever added anyone, I'd like it to be meaningful adds. Of course, I don't see any of that happening, so just get me out of here in whatever manifestation that takes on as the GoR timeline heads towards an end. 

Some day, I'd like to be in the B1G somehow. It makes the most sense when the Big 12 breaks up, but whatever. 

Playing USC sounds fun.  Maybe Stanford, too.  Playing Oregon State, Washington State, Berkeley, Arizona, Colorado, or Utah sounds boring AF to me. I'm indifferent to UCLA or ASU. 

Playing Michigan and Ohio State sounds fun.  Playing Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, or Iowa sounds boring AF to me.  I'm indifferent to Wisconsin and Nebraska, and won't even talk about Pedo State.  

So as "boring" as the B12 is, neither the PAC nor the B1G excite me any more than that.

Even a hypothetical move to the SEC West alongside OU potentially results in a move by Alabama and Auburn to the eastern division, so your annual divisional opponents are OU, Arkansas, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss State.  With only an occasional game against Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee, that are offset by crap games against Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina.  So the only real positive there is being reunited with historical rivals Arkansas and A&M, and the majority of surly posters openly declare they never want to play A&M again so there's not much gain there, either.

Now if we form the Prestige Worldwide Conference-- then we'd be in business.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Playing USC sounds fun.  Maybe Stanford, too.  Playing Oregon State, Washington State, Berkeley, Arizona, Colorado, or Utah sounds boring AF to me. I'm indifferent to UCLA or ASU. 

Playing Michigan and Ohio State sounds fun.  Playing Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Rutgers, Maryland, or Iowa sounds boring AF to me.  I'm indifferent to Wisconsin and Nebraska, and won't even talk about Pedo State.  

So as "boring" as the B12 is, neither the PAC nor the B1G excite me any more than that.

Even a hypothetical move to the SEC West alongside OU potentially results in a move by Alabama and Auburn to the eastern division, so your annual divisional opponents are OU, Arkansas, A&M, LSU, Ole Miss, and Miss State.  With only an occasional game against Alabama, Florida, Georgia, or Tennessee, that are offset by crap games against Vanderbilt, Kentucky, and South Carolina.  So the only real positive there is being reunited with historical rivals Arkansas and A&M, and the majority of surly posters openly declare they never want to play A&M again so there's not much gain there, either.

The only thing I'd point out about teams we'd play is you have to look at divisions.

I have two issues with the Big Ten. One, the weather would suck for a lot of road games. Two, if we join, it would probably be the West division with Wisconsin, Nebraska,  Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, and we'd only get to play tOSU, UM, and PSU occasionally. That doesn't excite me much. I guess the third potential downside is OU seems the least likely to come with in the Big Ten. 

The problem with the Pac to me is time zones, but the current Pac 12 south division includes USC, UCLA, UA, Az St., Colorado, and Utah. I like the prospect of playing those teams every year much better, from a football and road trip standpoint. We wouldn't have to play the less desirable teams in that conference, like Oregon State and Washington State, nearly as often.

Regardless, there's definitely not perfect fit at this point and since the Big 12 is the only one whose deal is up in 2022, starting super conferences probably wouldn't happen at that point.

8 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

The only thing I'd point out about teams we'd play is you have to look at divisions.

I have two issues with the Big Ten. One, the weather would suck for a lot of road games. Two, if we join, it would probably be the West division with Wisconsin, Nebraska,  Iowa, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, and we'd only get to play tOSU, UM, and PSU occasionally. That doesn't excite me much. I guess the third potential downside is OU seems the least likely to come with in the Big Ten. 

The problem with the Pac to me is time zones, but the current Pac 12 south division includes USC, UCLA, UA, Az St., Colorado, and Utah. I like the prospect of playing those teams every year much better, from a football and road trip standpoint. We wouldn't have to play the less desirable teams in that conference, like Oregon State and Washington State, nearly as often.

Regardless, there's definitely not perfect fit at this point and since the Big 12 is the only one whose deal is up in 2022, starting super conferences probably wouldn't happen at that point.

I think it's more likely the PAC would realign to Eastern and Wstern Divisions.  So in a PAC16 you'd hypothetically have Texas, Tech, OU, oSu, Arizona State, Arizona,  Colorado, and Utah.  We'd only occasionally play games against USC, which is the only team in the PAC I give a crap about.  Maybe Stanford, I guess.

So overall I agree with your point-- not only would we end up playing just as many crap teams in any other conference, but we'd rarely get to play the marquee teams in those conferences.  Because  divisional alignment would prevent it, because16 teams is simply too big.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, utee94 said:

13 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

If the prospect of playing Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois excites you more than Oklahoma State, K State, and TCU, the problem is with you, not the conference.

Subjective bullshit thrown out there as though there's some sense of propriety in the positions. I'd much rather play and travel to Oregon State, Cal, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado than the middling schools in the northern part of our conference. You don't prefer that? Great. My view is unchanged. And the premise that playing and traveling to UCLA and ASU cause indifference is sadly comical, but it's your life, utee94.

Regarding the carve outs you just highlighted, formermav43, I realize you see yourself as quite clever, but I was typing about the macro state of joining a conference, not picking micro-issues with one. Any conference will have some shit opponents. Most won't have majority of shit opponents on the schedule. But hey man, you keep digging Kansas State and the cockroaches if that gets you wet. I'll take a pass, as will most folks if given the option.

Pac-12 would be advantageous from a recruiting standpoint, especially given the push we're making right now in California and Arizona.

Also, I would take road trips to UO, UW, UA, ASU, Utah, CU, and all of the California schools currently in that conference over what the Big 12 has to offer outside maybe Fort Worth.

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Subjective bullshit thrown out there as though there's some sense of propriety in the positions. I'd much rather play and travel to Oregon State, Cal, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado than the middling schools in the northern part of our conference. You don't prefer that? Great. My view is unchanged. And the premise that playing and traveling to UCLA and ASU cause indifference is sadly comical, but it's your life, utee94.

Regarding the carve outs you just highlighted, formermav43, I realize you see yourself as quite clever, but I was typing about the macro state of joining a conference, not picking micro-issues with one. Any conference will have some shit opponents. Most won't have majority of shit opponents on the schedule. But hey man, you keep digging Kansas State and the cockroaches if that gets you wet. I'll take a pass, as will most folks if given the option.

How silly of me to not realize that throwing out 5 teams you are personally tired of playing as your sole justification for wanting to leave the Big 12 was a sophisticated “macro” argument. 

• Like 1