Tell me About Brenham

Truth BBQ is worth the drive from Houston. The owner told me they're opening a new location in Houston at the site of the old J. Black's on Washington and Waugh. They appear to be taking their time, but it'll be the best BBQ spot Inside the Loop. 

The Blue Bell tour sucks now and they don't serve any rare flavors. You'll find better at HEB. 

96 West is pretty respectable restaurant for a town of its size. 

Brenham is a good day trip. Nothing more. 

There has been a hipster invasion in the last couple of years. I think the aging old Krauts who run the place realized they needed to do something other than ticket tourists and pig out on Blue Bell. There's a really cool biergarten behind Home Sweet Farm restaurant (run by a couple who escaped Plano / McKinney and really love Brenham.) That's right across the street from Brazos Valley Brewing Company -- every county seat worth its salt malt now has one, and this one seems pretty good. Adjacent to all that they are remodeling a whole street of small warehouses into an arts district. It's loosening up, little by little. 

If you are sick of the city it doesn't seem like such a bad place to be -- in beautiful countryside, halfway between Austin and Houston. 

People bag on small towns but I absolutely love being on the front porch at night looking out across the pasture and not hearing anything at all. I mean once in a while you hear a car or truck come down the highway. Crickets. Cows maybe mooing. There's just something very calming about it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Truth BBQ is worth the drive from Houston. The owner told me they're opening a new location in Houston at the site of the old J. Black's on Washington and Waugh. They appear to be taking their time, but it'll be the best BBQ spot Inside the Loop. 

Pinkerton's and Champ Kind say you need to tap the breaks there, guy. 

21 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've been hearing for almost a year that they are "about to open". Yet they just started actual construction at that site two weeks ago. And as to your proclamation that they'll be the best inside the loop, well, they'll be cooking on different style pits, in a different environment, with new guys running said pits, with an entirely different level of demand.  Might wanna slow your role until they've had the doors open for, I dunno, a day or two.  Meanwhile there are already three guys inside the loop turning out que that has been lauded by more than a few bbq experts